X-Weapon: Helsturm (XW: 12-13-14|HS: 04-11-16 UPDATE)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
mutator

Re: X-Weapon: Helsturm (XW: 12-13-14|HS: 04-11-16 UPDATE)

Post by mutator »

TheRailgunner wrote:
Slax wrote:How about helper doges instead of marines? Plenty of room to sprite up upgrades for them.
I really like this idea - that said, I can't help but be averse to the idea of zombies and demons murdering my doges. Maybe I'll put them on a timer, make them immune to damage, and simply have them teleport or disappear once the timer expires.

I could give them some sort of exoskeletal weapon mount and have the player give them a weapon (which is dropped once the dog teleports). So...yes, helper doges confirmed.
once they are used can they be used again?
NullWire

Post by NullWire »

I think you can make the Red rifle different to the other ones, just add an 3 burst fast alternate mode that replaces the fully automatic one

¿What do you think?

And the magnum handcannon doesn't have the pickup item sprite..
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

NullWire wrote:I think you can make the Red rifle different to the other ones, just add an 3 burst fast alternate mode that replaces the fully automatic one

¿What do you think?

The burst mode does not have to replace auto mode, it may just be added alongside (like it is in the case with the Hunter Rifle).

Magnum handcannon? You mean the Fatman? I am pretty sure it has a 3rd person sprite (or at least it used to have in the previous version).

Also, I just wanted to say that both BFGG and BFS are marvellous. Especially the latter is the stuff of the gods :twisted: Shame that I completed a megawad (Icarus, albeit without map32) without getting any of them, so I had to use 'give weapons' to try them out. Good decision to create a separate ammo type for BFGs, otherwise their ammo consumption would be a problem. Now, where to find a worthwhile challenge for those weapons?...
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

shotfan wrote:
NullWire wrote:I think you can make the Red rifle different to the other ones, just add an 3 burst fast alternate mode that replaces the fully automatic one

¿What do you think?

The burst mode does not have to replace auto mode, it may just be added alongside (like it is in the case with the Hunter Rifle).

Magnum handcannon? You mean the Fatman? I am pretty sure it has a 3rd person sprite (or at least it used to have in the previous version).

Also, I just wanted to say that both BFGG and BFS are marvellous. Especially the latter is the stuff of the gods :twisted: Shame that I completed a megawad (Icarus, albeit without map32) without getting any of them, so I had to use 'give weapons' to try them out. Good decision to create a separate ammo type for BFGs, otherwise their ammo consumption would be a problem. Now, where to find a worthwhile challenge for those weapons?...
Huh, apparently a one-in-sixteen chance doesn't cut it - I'll try 1-in-8 or 1-in-4 next.

The Magnum Handcannon is separate from the Fatman - a high-ROF, high-damage pistol with a small magazine (not smaller than Fatman, but pretty damn small). NullWire is right, though - it really doesn't have a pickup sprite. I'll upload a fix before the day is over (along with some effect reduction for FastProjectile bullets...and an angled BFG!).

I may add the burst-fire mode to the Demontech - it makes sense seeing as though Imp Gunners always use 3-round bursts at long range, so why shouldn't you?

I might replace the BFS with the Bubblegum Thesis, a pump-action nuclear rail-shotgun. So, a shotgun...that's also a railgun...that also fires nuclear explosions. Originally intended for Project Operation Unthinkable, the weapon was intended to be capable of killing Infinity Gauntlet wielders (it's not, but it can probably kill just about anything else). If there were an angled variant of the Skulltag railgun, I'd probably use it as a sprite base, as the two weapons are somewhat similar in appearance. The BFGG might be replaced by the Perseus Proximity Control Rifle, a weapon I have described at-length previously.

If anyone is wondering, no, I have not abandoned Helsturm - it's still missing half of its angled weapon variants, and until it no longer is, Helsturm is not finished (well, that and I still have to replace Doomguy's hands on everything). The next update will move all of helsturm_alt.pk3's content to the main version of the mod, returning the status of the latest build from "experimental" (new, interesting, but potentially buggy and unpolished features and such) to "transitional" (the slow crawl from the centered X-Weapon to the angled Helsturm).
Rozy

Post by Rozy »

I don't know if it's in your current fixes list, but is the goth99 sprite using zombie going to die properly in the next update? When I gave helsturm_Alt a play he'd stop mid death animation. Also I don't know if there's any way to deal with it but I notice a whole lot of the extra spawns getting stuck in walls.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Rozy wrote:I don't know if it's in your current fixes list, but is the goth99 sprite using zombie going to die properly in the next update? When I gave helsturm_Alt a play he'd stop mid death animation. Also I don't know if there's any way to deal with it but I notice a whole lot of the extra spawns getting stuck in walls.
I honestly have no idea how to fix the spawning-in-walls issue - there are flags that prevent things from checking where they are before they spawn (SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION), but actors seem to act like they're ALWAYS spawned with this flag, regardless of whether or not it's set. I could have a spawning actor that spawns at the first enemy's location, then moves outward until it hits an obstacle, and then spawns the enemy, but it'd have to start off without collision properties and then regain them before hitting something.

As far as the Handcannon Zombie death animation is concerned, I'll fix it next update as well - the frames are improperly labeled in the zombie's Decorate, causing the dead bastards to freeze in mid-air after dying.
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

TheRailgunner wrote:
shotfan wrote:

¿What do you think?

Huh, apparently a one-in-sixteen chance doesn't cut it - I'll try 1-in-8 or 1-in-4 next.

The Magnum Handcannon is separate from the Fatman - a high-ROF, high-damage pistol with a small magazine (not smaller than Fatman, but pretty damn small). NullWire is right, though - it really doesn't have a pickup sprite. I'll upload a fix before the day is over (along with some effect reduction for FastProjectile bullets...and an angled BFG!).

I may add the burst-fire mode to the Demontech - it makes sense seeing as though Imp Gunners always use 3-round bursts at long range, so why shouldn't you?

I might replace the BFS with the Bubblegum Thesis, a pump-action nuclear rail-shotgun. So, a shotgun...that's also a railgun...that also fires nuclear explosions. Originally intended for Project Operation Unthinkable, the weapon was intended to be capable of killing Infinity Gauntlet wielders (it's not, but it can probably kill just about anything else). If there were an angled variant of the Skulltag railgun, I'd probably use it as a sprite base, as the two weapons are somewhat similar in appearance. The BFGG might be replaced by the Perseus Proximity Control Rifle, a weapon I have described at-length previously.

If anyone is wondering, no, I have not abandoned Helsturm - it's still missing half of its angled weapon variants, and until it no longer is, Helsturm is not finished (well, that and I still have to replace Doomguy's hands on everything). The next update will move all of helsturm_alt.pk3's content to the main version of the mod, returning the status of the latest build from "experimental" (new, interesting, but potentially buggy and unpolished features and such) to "transitional" (the slow crawl from the centered X-Weapon to the angled Helsturm).
So that Magnum is another weapon I did not run into :)

Ah, you were talking about Demontech. There is the precision mode already, so I do not need a fourth firemode.

Good to know about those new potential BFGs! Then I am saving the Helstrum version I have, as both of the special BFGs are perfect for me! The shotgun-railgun sounds like something that proposed for Trailblazer's Nutcracker upgrade...
By the way, BFGG got essentially imported to Project Brutality as Beam BFG10K; shame that there is no BFS, but that is why I downloaded X-Weapon! (Maybe I will do my own freakish BFS-esque shotgun someday... :ugeek: )
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

The thing with the higher-tier weapons is that you shouldn't really be guaranteed any of them - they're direct improvements over the base arsenal, and are thus meant as a lucky bonus if you find one. The BFG, being the rarest pickup in the entirety of Doom, is more or less an exception...and even then, the odds that you'll receive a BFS, BFGG, or even the Special BFG should be minimal at best, but high enough for a player to find one in, say, one to three playthroughs.

@NullWire: By "red rifle", do you mean the basic Demontech (which is very, very red) or the basic Assault Rifle (which has a red optical sight)? By extension, is this about X-Weapon, or is it about Helsturm (helsturm_alt.pk3 eschews the DoomNukem/AtM rifle for an AKA-47, the Sokova 46)?
Doominer441

Post by Doominer441 »

I get "corrupt zlib stream" with gzdoom when I try to play this. Google claims it means the file is corrupt, but I've downloaded it twice and it happens both times.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Doominer441 wrote:I get "corrupt zlib stream" with gzdoom when I try to play this. Google claims it means the file is corrupt, but I've downloaded it twice and it happens both times.
Not the first time I've gotten this response:
user5124 wrote:I get "corrupt zlib stream" with gzdoom -file doom2.wad helsturm.pk3. google says this means the file is corrupt, but I've downloaded it twice and can unpack it no problem..

Is it me or is it the mod or is it gzdoom?
But back to your question - are you trying to run X-Weapon, or Helsturm? If Helsturm, which version - the normal build (helsturm.pk3), or the experimental one (helsturm_alt.pk3)?

Last I checked, all versions of the mod ran without problem, but I can't be sure until I know specifically which one you're running. It sounds like your GZDoom is out of date - what version are you running? Bear in mind that Helsturm requires a Git/SVN build of GZDoom.

Since the questions you and user5124 are essentially identical (corrupt zlib stream with GZDoom, Google says it's corrupt, two downloads and the archive seems fine), I have to ask...are you two the same person? Not going on the offensive or anything, but I am curious.
Doominer441

Post by Doominer441 »

TheRailgunner wrote:
Doominer441 wrote:I get "corrupt zlib stream" with gzdoom when I try to play this. Google claims it means the file is corrupt, but I've downloaded it twice and it happens both times.
Not the first time I've gotten this response:
user5124 wrote:I get "corrupt zlib stream" with gzdoom -file doom2.wad helsturm.pk3. google says this means the file is corrupt, but I've downloaded it twice and can unpack it no problem..

Is it me or is it the mod or is it gzdoom?
But back to your question - are you trying to run X-Weapon, or Helsturm? If Helsturm, which version - the normal build (helsturm.pk3), or the experimental one (helsturm_alt.pk3)?

Last I checked, all versions of the mod ran without problem, but I can't be sure until I know specifically which one you're running. It sounds like your GZDoom is out of date - what version are you running? Bear in mind that Helsturm requires a Git/SVN build of GZDoom.

Since the questions you and user5124 are essentially identical (corrupt zlib stream with GZDoom, Google says it's corrupt, two downloads and the archive seems fine), I have to ask...are you two the same person? Not going on the offensive or anything, but I am curious.
No, I'm not "User5124". I'm running the non-experimental Helsturm build, and as far as I can tell, my GZDoom is a cutting-edge development build. I'll try and update it and see if it works then.

EDIT:
I'm using gzdoom-g2.2pre-1651-g4940f02 and it still won't work.
Last edited by Doominer441 on Mon May 30, 2016 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

So, the normal Helsturm build is broken, giving the "corrupt zlib stream" - it is most certainly not your GZDoom.

I don't know exactly is causing the error, so I'm removing the link to it - the dev build will now be the default from this point forward.
durbdoogle

Post by durbdoogle »

TheRailgunner wrote:So, the normal Helsturm build is broken, giving the "corrupt zlib stream" - it is most certainly not your GZDoom.

I don't know exactly is causing the error, so I'm removing the link to it - the dev build will now be the default from this point forward.
Modder PLA recently had this problem with his AOED Lite mod. From the changelog on the newest update:
PLA wrote: ChangeLog V1.30
+ Fixed "Corrupt zlib stream" with the newer version engine. ( You get this error when you have more than 9000 files in the same folder in your archive, seriously )
Maybe that might be it?
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

durbdoogle wrote:
TheRailgunner wrote:So, the normal Helsturm build is broken, giving the "corrupt zlib stream" - it is most certainly not your GZDoom.

Modder PLA recently had this problem with his AOED Lite mod. From the changelog on the newest update:
PLA wrote: ChangeLog V1.30
+ Fixed "Corrupt zlib stream" with the newer version engine. ( You get this error when you have more than 9000 files in the same folder in your archive, seriously )
Maybe that might be it?
The normal .pk3 has ~4800 files total, so I doubt it.
Panzermann11
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Panzermann11 »

When I use The Box, I got some kind of an error message:

"Unknown item class SBFGPickup to drop from a random spawner"

What should I do?
Last edited by Panzermann11 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”