X-Weapon: Helsturm (XW: 12-13-14|HS: 04-11-16 UPDATE)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ArielBoss

Re: [WIP] X-Weapon: The Weaponing! (Updated 09-24-13)

Post by ArielBoss »

doomer1 wrote:OVERALL, the weapons are quite overpowered, even without upgrades. maybe i just need to find a good monster pack, but DAYUMN are these powerful. Keep up the good work though man i really like how this is turning out,
I have to agree with doomer1, is to much powerfull for the poor vanilla demons. I can even finish some lastest levels from Equinox with this guns. You need compense this, but overall this mod is getting his point very quickly congrats.
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] X-Weapon: The Weaponing! (Updated 09-25-13)

Post by TheRailgunner »

I've updated the mod with the following changes:

*Fatman damage increased to 40
*SG and SSG pellet damage decreased to 6
*Upgraded SG, Quad SG, and Tactical SG pellet damage decreased to 7
*Tactical SG slug damage decreased to 75
*AR damage decreased to 6
*Upgraded AR damage decreased to 8
*Upgraded Phasic Launcher damage decreased to 40+216 blast
*Upgraded Demontech blast damage decreased to 6
*BFG damage decreased to 150d4 + 256 blast + fifty BFG sprays dealing 10-50 damage each
*Upgraded BFG damage decreased to 200d4 + 384 blast + sixty BFG sprays dealing 20-60 damage each
Tomicapo

Post by Tomicapo »

Hey good job this wad looks so cool. And the weapons too
Tomicapo

Post by Tomicapo »

I like the DemontchrifleX is the best
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

the only complain i can think off right now is try to lower the kick of the weapon, many maps put the player on platform or little corridors and with a gun kicking me back is a call to fall down and even die if there is no way to get up
Keralastic

Post by Keralastic »

I'm definitely liking the mod! It's nice to see good pistols are becoming more commonplace in weapons mods nowadays.

As for bugs, I've found a quirk with the pump shotgun. If you start a reload after emptying the magazine (and requiring a pump), but press fire to cancel the reload after loading the first shell, you won't have to pump it until you start another reload. You could conceivably do this to fully load the magazine without having to ever pump the gun, but there's not really much benefit to that. I suppose you could probably fix that by putting a check at the beginning of the fire state to see if the gun needs to be pumped.

As for balance suggestions, I feel like the Nighthawk could use a slight increase to its rate of fire to compensate for the fact that it can't consistently one-shot zombiemen and shotgun guys like the Fatman can. It's a bit frustrating to shoot at a shotgun guy, fail to kill him, and have him shoot you in the time it takes for you to fire again. Aside from that, balance looks pretty good! I'm looking forward to see what you do with the mod.
Max Dickings

Post by Max Dickings »

Boy, I really want to bring your edited rifle and shotgun into brutal doom, but is there an easier way than having to manually rename every frame?
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Max Dickings wrote:Boy, I really want to bring your edited rifle and shotgun into brutal doom, but is there an easier way than having to manually rename every frame?
You can use Find + Replace in a text editor and replace "SHT" with "3HT","SSH" with "3SH", "RIF" with "4IF", and "RI2" with "4I2".

If you want to use the upgraded weapon sprites instead, replace "SHT" with "3ST", "SSH" with "3SS", "RIF" with "4AF", and "RI2" with "4A2".

@Keralastic: Noted - the shotgun pump issue has been fixed, and both Nighthawks have been given a slight ROF increase. Last I checked, the Fatman got a damage increase to 40 (minimum to one-shot a Sergeant), but I'll just have to test it some more.

The mod has been updated with a few beefed up enemies:

*The Zombieman has now been replaced by the Nighthawk Zombie, Special Nighthawk Zombie, Bluetail Zombie, and Fatman Zombie. Which one is which? You'll find out when they start shooting.
*The Sergeant now comes in three flavors: Normal, Upgraded, and Tactical.
*The Commando has been switched out for an Assault Zombie and a Special Assault Zombie.
*Hell has equipped it's Imps with Demontech Rifles - they will occasionally drop Demontech clips.
*The Hell Knight has been supplanted with the Phasic Knight, with a special arm-mounted plasma cannon...and a surprise combat tactic.
*The Baron of Hell has refitted with a powerful Demontech Cannon. Don't let him aim at you for too long.

I am still working on suitable replacements for the other monsters.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

I was about to try this, but then I saw this.
TheRailgunner wrote:*The Zombieman has now been replaced by the Nighthawk Zombie, Special Nighthawk Zombie, Bluetail Zombie, and Fatman Zombie. Which one is which? You'll find out when they start shooting.
If they all look the same but don't attack in the same way, that's not cool. Unless you meant that they do look distinct, but until you've seen them attack at least once, it's not immediately clear what sprite goes with what attack. If not, I think I'll give this a miss.
USSRBear

Re: [WIP] X-Weapon: The Weaponing! (Updated 09-27-13)

Post by USSRBear »

I really like this. The weapons are easily some of the most gratifying within the weapon wads, they're fun, unique, have weight and a great amount of punch to them...however I'm not feeling the enemy replacements at all. They're far too deadly (IMO) for nearly any type of map pack. Imp heavy maps are just a nightmare since they have rifles now. Shotgun zombie heavy maps are nearly impossible with the combination of their accuracy and hit-you-like-a-freight-train damage potential. If I were to make a suggestion, how would you feel about these enemy replacements as random elite spawns? (I'm terrible at describing things) Like they would randomly replace said enemy type. As an entire replacement, these enemies are simply too deadly...but as randomly replacing the Vanilla Doom roster, I feel like it'd be far more balanced, fair, and also still maintaining the idea of super enemies. Or maybe have two versions of X-weapon, one with the hardcore enemies, the other with just the guns. I love my Doom on Ultra-Violence...but damn...these dudes are fisting me pretty hard =/...end rant. But anyways, keep it up. I'm actually really glad you kept on working on this after the controversy and brought us this little thing.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

twinkieman93 wrote:I was about to try this, but then I saw this.
TheRailgunner wrote:*The Zombieman has now been replaced by the Nighthawk Zombie, Special Nighthawk Zombie, Bluetail Zombie, and Fatman Zombie. Which one is which? You'll find out when they start shooting.
If they all look the same but don't attack in the same way, that's not cool. Unless you meant that they do look distinct, but until you've seen them attack at least once, it's not immediately clear what sprite goes with what attack. If not, I think I'll give this a miss.
Since you put it that way...

I've started on editing the base spriteset for the Pistol Zombie, so they can be identified more easily (really just headswaps, but it's still a pain in the ass). I'll upload it when the sprites are complete.
USSRBear wrote:I really like this. The weapons are easily some of the most gratifying within the weapon wads, they're fun, unique, have weight and a great amount of punch to them...however I'm not feeling the enemy replacements at all. They're far too deadly (IMO) for nearly any type of map pack. Imp heavy maps are just a nightmare since they have rifles now. Shotgun zombie heavy maps are nearly impossible with the combination of their accuracy and hit-you-like-a-freight-train damage potential. If I were to make a suggestion, how would you feel about these enemy replacements as random elite spawns? (I'm terrible at describing things) Like they would randomly replace said enemy type. As an entire replacement, these enemies are simply too deadly...but as randomly replacing the Vanilla Doom roster, I feel like it'd be far more balanced, fair, and also still maintaining the idea of super enemies. Or maybe have two versions of X-weapon, one with the hardcore enemies, the other with just the guns. I love my Doom on Ultra-Violence...but damn...these dudes are fisting me pretty hard =/...end rant. But anyways, keep it up. I'm actually really glad you kept on working on this after the controversy and brought us this little thing.
I'm adding a normal-style Imp and setting the Imp Gunner as an elite spawn. I'm not terribly fond of the idea of the rare spawns, as the current set up gives each new zombie a counterpart to the player's weapons. I might nerf the existing enemies some (bullet/pellet spread increase, slight damage decrease, most likely), and/or add a See state jump at the end of the Missile state (probably a one-in-four chance of jumping). I will, however, separate the enemies from the main mod. One of the more long-running complaints was that the weapons were overpowered, and players could stomp Vanilla Doom monsters handily with them, so I buffed the monsters commensurately. I'll have a more balanced version up soon, after I finish the extra Pistol Zombie sprites for twinkieman93.
USSRBear

Post by USSRBear »

Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate it. Keep up the hard work.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Well, i really do like the direction this is going. i also tried the brutal doom lite the other day, and that to me was good. these monsters you added give a brutal ass pounding though, might want to dial back the damage, especially on the cyber baron, that thing is nearly invincible. otherwise... good stuff.
Max Dickings

Post by Max Dickings »

TheRailgunner wrote:
Max Dickings wrote:Boy, I really want to bring your edited rifle and shotgun into brutal doom, but is there an easier way than having to manually rename every frame?
You can use Find + Replace in a text editor and replace "SHT" with "3HT","SSH" with "3SH", "RIF" with "4IF", and "RI2" with "4I2".

If you want to use the upgraded weapon sprites instead, replace "SHT" with "3ST", "SSH" with "3SS", "RIF" with "4AF", and "RI2" with "4A2".
No shit?? That worked! :D Thank you so much! I figured that would require directory edits or something, didn't know it just randomly grabbed the right file regardless of where it was located.

Now my pump shotgun is the best of both worlds, the idle/aiming is like the BD shotgun while the pump/reload actions are like Doom Nukem's wooden furniture/ejector/sling style. Sweet! I'll have to keep an eye on whatever else you whip up here
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

I've added a few more monsters, and tweaked the existing ones considerably. In addition, I've put up a no-monsters version, in case the creatures aren't to your liking.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”