The Guncaster - 3.666

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: The Guncaster - 3.666

Postby wildweasel » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:45 am

The Red Key wrote:This mod is 100% unable to run for me, i have no clue why. I've tried every load order, every engine, every loader, nothing works. It seems this mod is now unsupported and dead. GG

What message are you getting? It's hard to help you if all we know is "it doesn't work."
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby T.K.Bold » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:09 am

I'm tryin' to load this mod through WMD. Guncaster alone is okay, but when I try to add the addon and the weapon shop, the game pitches a fit and fails to load before it even finishes its initial bootup.
How should I going about this? What load order do they need to be in? What numbers do I use?
T.K.Bold

Postby wildweasel » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:13 pm

T.K.Bold wrote:I'm tryin' to load this mod through WMD. Guncaster alone is okay, but when I try to add the addon and the weapon shop, the game pitches a fit and fails to load before it even finishes its initial bootup.
How should I going about this? What load order do they need to be in? What numbers do I use?

The addons should probably go after Guncaster in the load order; any maps you want to load with it should go before Guncaster.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby rautamiekka » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:07 pm

The Red Key wrote:This mod is 100% unable to run for me, i have no clue why. I've tried every load order, every engine, every loader, nothing works. It seems this mod is now unsupported and dead. GG

Obviously you didn't even try checking the dates :lol:
rautamiekka

Twitch ID: rautamiekka
Github ID: rautamiekka
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Tetsuryu » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:24 am

Is there a changelog?
Tetsuryu

Postby Rowsol » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:53 am

Tetsuryu wrote:Is there a changelog?

He posts one with each update post. You'll have to read the old posts if you want to see them.
Rowsol

Postby electrodragon554 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:45 am

Great mod, but I found an issue - could be a issue with GZDoom itself, or it could be mod related:
When the 'Deity Mode' cheat is active (iddqd, or 'god' from the console), Doom 2 MAP30 behaves in a strange manner - after defeating the Icon and jumping into the explosion that follows, the game continues normally instead of ending (as it should).
electrodragon554

Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan Support

Postby Xerenogan » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:04 am

This is one of my all time favorite gameplay mods. Thank you!
Xerenogan

Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)

Postby CaptainMegavolt » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:43 am

I've run afoul of an issue with the Sandman - when I try to load with the addon, I get this error message:

• GC_Addon.pk3:zscript/sandman/sandmanweapon.txt, line 80: Unable to resolve Gc_SmartAim as type.
  • GC_Addon.pk3:zscript/sandman/sandmanweapon.txt, line 80: Unable to resolve Gc_SmartAim as type.
  • GC_Addon.pk3:zscript/sandman/sandmanweapon.txt, line 6: Unable to resolve all fields for class Sandman

Using all the latest files as far as I can tell. Load order is Doom 2, Guncaster, Addon.
CaptainMegavolt

Postby Yelso » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:18 pm

PillowBlaster wrote:A

Thanks for the mod, do you have a discord or other way of faster communication than posting here?

I ask because I found one for guncaster vindicated and wanted to know if you had one as well.

I also wanted to see the compatibility options for this wad, I would love to play it with some TC levels, good mappacks for it are not easy to find. Monster wads are too not easy for the right amount of challenge you need when you are this powerful.
Yelso

Postby heavymetalharry » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:57 pm

HI there PillowBlaster, Im having trouble with guncaster. when I boot it up with doom and doom 2 none of the enemys are dealt any damage and I'm not taking any damage either. Works fine for heritic, hexen and strife though.
BTW this is the mod that made me get into doom mods and I hope someday cyngis gets his own solo game
heavymetalharry

Postby PillowBlaster » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:16 am

I do have an internal changelog, but... if I'd link to it, then that'd spoil incoming stuff. I should probably make a separate file for OP that I'd just update after each, well, update.

electrodragon554 wrote:Great mod, but I found an issue - could be a issue with GZDoom itself, or it could be mod related:
When the 'Deity Mode' cheat is active (iddqd, or 'god' from the console), Doom 2 MAP30 behaves in a strange manner - after defeating the Icon and jumping into the explosion that follows, the game continues normally instead of ending (as it should).

Sounds more like that some mod gives you a continue after map30 instead of finishing. I don't think we have that implemented by default. Have you played it with DRLA monsters? If yes, that one has an option for that.

CaptainMegavolt wrote:I've run afoul of an issue with the Sandman - when I try to load with the addon, I get this error message:

• GC_Addon.pk3:zscript/sandman/sandmanweapon.txt, line 6: Unable to resolve all fields for class Sandman

Using all the latest files as far as I can tell. Load order is Doom 2, Guncaster, Addon.

Strange. I tried it with latest gzdoom as of now (4.4.2) and seems to work fine. Maybe updating that will help?

Yelso wrote:
PillowBlaster wrote:A

Thanks for the mod, do you have a discord or other way of faster communication than posting here?

I ask because I found one for guncaster vindicated and wanted to know if you had one as well.

I also wanted to see the compatibility options for this wad, I would love to play it with some TC levels, good mappacks for it are not easy to find. Monster wads are too not easy for the right amount of challenge you need when you are this powerful.

Nah, I don't have any discord server. For the compat stuff, see the DRLA monsters above. I sadly tweak the monsters on my side for a lot of things to work, so not many options are available. Might stack it with Legendoom for extra challenge and goodies when you fight bosses.

heavymetalharry wrote:HI there PillowBlaster, Im having trouble with guncaster. when I boot it up with doom and doom 2 none of the enemys are dealt any damage and I'm not taking any damage either. Works fine for heritic, hexen and strife though.
BTW this is the mod that made me get into doom mods and I hope someday cyngis gets his own solo game

Check the Here be Dragons -> Gameplay options. There should be Damage Taken\Damage Given scalers, tweak those to make them 1.0 and see if the problem persists. And well, solo game is... not impossible, but I had laid out on my twatter a while back why it's probably not gonna happen anytime soon.
PillowBlaster

Postby heavymetalharry » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:52 am

Thanks that did help, one more stupid question though, whats the difference between this and guncaster vinticated?
heavymetalharry

Postby retronutcase » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:45 am

Vindicated is an offshoot by another modder that adds additional features, effectively trying to merge it and certain aspects of Brutal Doom like monsters/gore. At least that's what it looked like when I tried it. Assuming you just want the original Guncaster experience, stick with PB's original.
retronutcase

Postby rautamiekka » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:01 pm

PillowBlaster wrote:

I do have an internal changelog, but... if I'd link to it, then that'd spoil incoming stuff. I should probably make a separate file for OP that I'd just update after each, well, update.

If something would spoil something, you could prefix the lines with something like "[SPOILER]" and if it's a fomatting-friendly system you could use a smaller font for the spoiling text (I'd make a separate style for that), or use an easy-to-modify website where you use a special spoilers tag to hide spoilers. If someone reads the spoilers regardless, that's their own fault.
rautamiekka

Twitch ID: rautamiekka
Github ID: rautamiekka

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods