The Guncaster - 3.666

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: The Guncaster - 3.666

Postby rautamiekka » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:50 pm

baddude1337 wrote:
Darkbeetlebot wrote:
Captain J wrote:It worked before, huh? I guess you forgot the mods' loading order and whatnot? Try set the loading order right.


I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right. Using the drag and drop method since that's what's always worked, I highlight Guncaster first, then the addon, then the weapon shop, and drag them to GZDoom which prompts the wad selection. Again, this has always worked for me up until now. I also tried GC, then the weapon shop, and then the addon. Then only the weapon shop, then only the addon. None of them work and spit out similar errors. The only thing that functions is GC alone.


You'd be much better off trying to load with a mod launcher, or by adding them into the autoload in GZDoom's INI file (this is how I do it, and you can guarantee the load order this way).

In the INI the format is as below path- then the link to the file, like below:

path=E:\Games\Doom\Guncaster 3.6\Guncaster.pk3
path=E:\Games\Doom\Guncaster 3.6\GC_Addon.pk3
path=E:\Games\Doom\Guncaster 3.6\GC_Weaponshop.pk3

Make a Batch script. Much more configurable, and if done right, portable between Window$ installations.
rautamiekka
 
Joined: 26 Oct 2016
Twitch ID: rautamiekka
Github ID: rautamiekka
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The Guncaster - 3.666

Postby Rowsol » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:55 pm

If you drag drop, the file you dragged will always load first, then the other files in, I assume, how they are sorted in the folder, so likely alphabetically.
User avatar
Rowsol
 
Joined: 06 Mar 2013

Re: The Guncaster - 3.666

Postby rautamiekka » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:00 pm

Rowsol wrote:If you drag drop, the file you dragged will always load first, then the other files in, I assume, how they are sorted in the folder, so likely alphabetically.

Nah, it's not ABC, it's seemingly based on pure luck even if you clicked the same files in the same order.

In other words: drag-drop of files onto an executable doesn't have a guaranteed order.
Last edited by rautamiekka on Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
rautamiekka
 
Joined: 26 Oct 2016
Twitch ID: rautamiekka
Github ID: rautamiekka
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The Guncaster - 3.666

Postby fakemai » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:21 pm

Autoloading I only use for Universal Automatic Continuation, or occasionally for DamNums/TargetSpy. It's not a good replacement for just loading mods when you can make batch files or use a launcher. In my case I just use the command line with a few extra tricks to minimize typing, and to do things like pick most recent OBLIGE map and random DRLA classes and other fluff.
User avatar
fakemai
 
Joined: 12 Feb 2018
Location: Australia

Re: The Guncaster - 3.666

Postby Rowsol » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:10 am

Pulverizer lags when I shoot on a giant map so I took a look. As I suspected, calling A_AlertMonsters every tick is what's doing it, which was also behind some of the explosions on RO back in the day.
Standing in a room getting 86 fps drops to 40 when I shoot the gun. Take off the alert and it stays in the 80s. Add back the alert flag to the weapon and it hits 75. Since that isn't a good solution I moved it to the start of the loop so it only calls every 9 tics or so. It's now at 70 fps and that works for me.
Why the flag is less of a performance hog compared to calling it directly is anyone's guess.
User avatar
Rowsol
 
Joined: 06 Mar 2013

Re: The Guncaster - 3.666

Postby PillowBlaster » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:50 am

Rowsol wrote:Pulverizer lags when I shoot on a giant map so I took a look. As I suspected, calling A_AlertMonsters every tick is what's doing it, which was also behind some of the explosions on RO back in the day.


I start to wonder if I used it so leniently if it used to lag before or it always did and I just didn't notice... feeling like I Dropped into some alternate dimension again. No matter, will add some delay between those there, thanks for heads-up.

Rowsol wrote:If you drag drop, the file you dragged will always load first, then the other files in, I assume, how they are sorted in the folder, so likely alphabetically.


A lil' kernel of what I've learned loading those things through years: whatever you drag'n'drop will be loaded first - everything else is a Real Free Estate. Gzd will probably shit the bed during loading if you try to pair the core mod with Addon and not drag the core file into exec first, cause it's not detecting stuff from base file while loading. So long as you can drag'n'drop the core file into exec and everything else doesn't have a loading order dependancy, it should be fine.
User avatar
PillowBlaster
 
Joined: 24 Jan 2010

Re: The Guncaster - 3.666

Postby LaughingMan008 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:45 am

Hey there. Big fan of the mod and what it does. Only recently got sat down to properly play it fully, and was wondering if anybody had any special recommendations for level sets to play it with. I just ran through Hellbound with it, which was, I think, a perfect experience. The borderline slaughtermaps combined with the big open and pretty areas that gave me lots of room to fly around and stomp, was great. Im hoping somebody might be able to point me towards another experience like that.
LaughingMan008
 
Joined: 30 Apr 2011

Re: The Guncaster - 3.666

Postby EternalOne » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:35 pm

Hi guys, I've come across two problems: First one regards the mod running on Strife, the mission info is shown as LOG 1106 or something similar.
Second is about Sabbatha (the thotkeeper), I load the file using ZDL but when I open the shop I get Nithor instead, what can cause that? Wrong load order or something else?
Last edited by EternalOne on Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EternalOne
 
Joined: 23 Dec 2019

Re: The Guncaster - 3.666

Postby Rowsol » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:40 pm

LaughingMan008 wrote:Hey there. Big fan of the mod and what it does. Only recently got sat down to properly play it fully, and was wondering if anybody had any special recommendations for level sets to play it with. I just ran through Hellbound with it, which was, I think, a perfect experience. The borderline slaughtermaps combined with the big open and pretty areas that gave me lots of room to fly around and stomp, was great. Im hoping somebody might be able to point me towards another experience like that.


Try these:
viewtopic.php?t=58501
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... gawads/gmp
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... wads/valve
User avatar
Rowsol
 
Joined: 06 Mar 2013

Re: The Guncaster - 3.666

Postby LaughingMan008 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:47 pm



Hey, thanks! I know about Valiant: Vaccinated Edition. Have it downloaded but haven't played it yet.
You're the 2nd or 3rd person to point to Good Morning Phobos.
This Alfonzone Ive never heard of, but looks interesting.
LaughingMan008
 
Joined: 30 Apr 2011

Re: The Guncaster - 3.666

Postby Rowsol » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:26 am

Molten armor stops the armor bar from filling up on the HUD. Meaning, instead of a full green bar it only fills as much as the armor would normally give you and the rest is black.
Also, unlike syringes which give you dosh when picking up extras, molten armor doesn't.
And... grabbing an extremesphere doesn't care about your molten armors.
User avatar
Rowsol
 
Joined: 06 Mar 2013

Re: The Guncaster - 3.666

Postby Yelso » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:32 pm

Is it possible for the project brutality monsters in 3.0 be used in a seperate wad from this one so I can use both together?

One guy made a wad similar to my idea but it is for an older version of project brutality.
Yelso
 
Joined: 05 Jun 2019
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The Guncaster - 3.666

Postby Yelso » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:41 am

PillowBlaster wrote:
Rowsol wrote:Pulverizer lags when I shoot on a giant map so I took a look. As I suspected, calling A_AlertMonsters every tick is what's doing it, which was also behind some of the explosions on RO back in the day.


I start to wonder if I used it so leniently if it used to lag before or it always did and I just didn't notice... feeling like I Dropped into some alternate dimension again. No matter, will add some delay between those there, thanks for heads-up.

Rowsol wrote:If you drag drop, the file you dragged will always load first, then the other files in, I assume, how they are sorted in the folder, so likely alphabetically.


A lil' kernel of what I've learned loading those things through years: whatever you drag'n'drop will be loaded first - everything else is a Real Free Estate. Gzd will probably shit the bed during loading if you try to pair the core mod with Addon and not drag the core file into exec first, cause it's not detecting stuff from base file while loading. So long as you can drag'n'drop the core file into exec and everything else doesn't have a loading order dependancy, it should be fine.


What are the mapacks that you used to make the backgrounds in the splash screen when you start up? The lines behind him as he crosses his arms looks cool.

Edit: Also nice cat with tie, I found it when I started up the game with sunlust.
Yelso
 
Joined: 05 Jun 2019
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The Guncaster - 3.666

Postby The Red Key » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:51 am

This mod is 100% unable to run for me, i have no clue why. I've tried every load order, every engine, every loader, nothing works. It seems this mod is now unsupported and dead. GG
The Red Key
 
Joined: 18 May 2018
Discord: The Red Key#0062

Re: The Guncaster - 3.666

Postby Captain J » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:17 am

Three possible solutions:

1. Alaways redownload your mod file or the GZDoom to update. The current version is 4.4.2, and Guncaster's version, as you ca see, is 3.666.

2. Try load the mod without any addon or mod organizer. See if it works properly.

3. Don't be negative. There's always an answer to this.
User avatar
Captain J
That's Amoreee
 
 
 
Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: A Year old Pizza Box
Discord: DiscussJ#3128

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gorec and 9 guests