The Guncaster - 3.777a

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [Update] The Guncaster - 2.8

Postby Overlord » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:12 pm

Overlord

Postby EddieMann » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:38 am

I... got this error, and i'm using the current version of zdoom.
EddieMann

Postby wildweasel » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:44 am

EddieMann wrote:I... got this error, and i'm using the current version of zdoom.

Are you sure of that?
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby shotfan » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:36 am

Hello Pillowblaster and other Guncaster enthusiasts,
Here I put forward some suggestions regarding GunCaster. I hope you will find them interesting, and not excessively verbose. Pillowblaster, do with these as you wish.

Now, onto the chase:

Missing Stratocasters
Below are my proposals for Stratocasters:
TNT Stratocaster
• Thermobaric Bomb: increased damage and pushes away with even greater than standard force anyone who survives.
• Cluster Bomb: the first explosion scatters around subbombs with secondary, weaker and delayed explosions.
I think that Cluster Bomb is more unique that Thermobaric Bomb, so I would lean on this, but of course the choice is yours.

Cauterizer Stratocaster
• Thunderghost: a wandering lightning ball (may be an elemental, insentient spirit akin to Hades Sphere or something like that). It traverses the map independently (it can travel the map on its own like an autonomous being) and hunts enemies until its charge does not dissipate (maybe 5 seconds?). Cannot pass through walls or doors. Inflicts the same damage as the ordinary Cauterizer shot. Thunderghost would give additional way of indirect attacking, which is appreciated if you face monsters from DoomKrakken’s addon (Dark Cardinal, D’Sparil and other such freaks).

Bishop Suit suggestions
I hope that Pillowblaster does not smite me with Thunderstuck for proposing the following changes to “balance” the B.A.D.A.S.S. :D I think that they could be implemented like a mutator, accessible from a setting named like “SLIGHTY LESS-OP BISHOP SUIT” in HERE BE DRAGONS. Now, the changes:
- Should spawn randomly (P=20%) in the place of a Megasphere (because they are the rarest items, excluding Automaps and Light Googles).
- Worn like Asbestos Suit, but its usage depends on remaining armour instead of time.
- 1 000 armour points, 90% damage reduction.

Also, thank you for keeping your preservation for long enough to make Bishop real!

Other suggestions
- New power-up: superbag for gold
SO, somebody here stated that on some WADs you get gold too fast, and you hit the account limit of 99 999 after you have bought everything. Thus, I propose to introduce THIS:
BAG OF WEALTH
Cost: 99 999 gold
Allows to carry unlimited amount of gold (or, at least 999 999 units of it).
So, Cygnis will now have no problems storing all of those mountains of gems and other precious stuff. And the price of Bag of Wealth should assure that one will purchase this bag only when one is really going to make a use of it. After all, you do not want to waste the maximum of gold amount if you are not going to profit from such investment?

- New spell: Bling Toss
This is another answer to excess gold. Bling Toss (inspired by Gil Toss ability from Final Fantasy) allows you to throw coins of gold and gems at lethal velocity, taken from your supply. It is expensive to purchase (5 000 gold), but consumes only a symbolic, single point of Mana. However, as you expect, it instead uses up a large sum of money – one thousand gold coins per toss, to be exact. I think it should act like an analog of Powercube from Russian Overkill, throwing forth a mass of gold coins with some gems among them. In this regard it would be very similar to Threadcutter, but of course the real selling point of Bling Toss is the fact it uses money to fire, not mana (what is one Mana point, if Cygnis passively regenerates around five points of it per second?).
Damage? I do not know really, maybe a bit more powerful than Treadcutter (one shots Barons? Hmm… obviously, it should consume more money than you could harvest from your killed enemies after the shot). I will leave it to you, if you choose to implement this spell.
The tomed/amplified version gives you a 50% discount on shot for the same amount of fired jewelry and expends 2 points of Mana :)

- Double Extreme Sphere’s price
10 000 gold is too cheap for a 2 minute-long power-up that makes you invulnerable and grants infinite ammo, among other things.
But this is only my opinion, and this mod is not meant for multiplayer, so this thing is not important.

- A separate power-up that gives dualcasting, analogous to Gunzerk

- Arithmetic/geometric progression of prices, correlated with difficulty level
Basically: on higher difficulties (starting with Drake), implement an algorithm that rises prices for subsequent purchases of the same good. You can, for example, introduce arithmetic progression for armours, medbags and other long-term items, while using geometric progression for more powerful-but-brief stuff like Extreme Sphere.
This way, increasing Cygnis' power will get progressively harder with increasing amount of purchases. And getting the power of Dragonforce will be even sweeter. You just need to choose a quota that is not too high. I also propose to implement a limit to the number of price increases (varying on the item).

That is all.
Pillowblaster, you and your crew made an outstanding mod! You should congratulate yourselves!
(also, Ironblast gives me - a shotgun nut - a big thrill every time I fire it… and it works wonders with Gunzerk/X-Sphere! Thank you guys for this excellent shotgun!)
shotfan
Waiting for Taggart

Discord: #6872

Postby DoomKrakken » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:06 pm

shotfan wrote:Hello Pillowblaster and other Guncaster enthusiasts,
Here I put forward some suggestions regarding GunCaster. I hope you will find them interesting, and not excessively verbose. Pillowblaster, do with these as you wish.

Now, onto the chase:

Missing Stratocasters
Below are my proposals for Stratocasters:
TNT Stratocaster
• Thermobaric Bomb: increased damage and pushes away with even greater than standard force anyone who survives.
• Cluster Bomb: the first explosion scatters around subbombs with secondary, weaker and delayed explosions.
I think that Cluster Bomb is more unique that Thermobaric Bomb, so I would lean on this, but of course the choice is yours.

It said in the commented-out description of the Dynamite Stratocaster that it would be granted a fancy flame effect... I was thinking it could have the flame effect of the Rasputin Flame Shell from PB's Russian Overkill. That's what I did in my version... (and it works BEAUTIFULLY :D)

shotfan wrote:Cauterizer Stratocaster
• Thunderghost: a wandering lightning ball (may be an elemental, insentient spirit akin to Hades Sphere or something like that). It traverses the map independently (it can travel the map on its own like an autonomous being) and hunts enemies until its charge does not dissipate (maybe 5 seconds?). Cannot pass through walls or doors. Inflicts the same damage as the ordinary Cauterizer shot. Thunderghost would give additional way of indirect attacking, which is appreciated if you face monsters from DoomKrakken’s addon (Dark Cardinal, D’Sparil and other such freaks).

YAAY! A mention! :D

Sounds interesting... but that might make the Cauterizer's strat fire a little too OP. I would also think of getting the lightning attack of Russian Overkill's "Power Cube". Many of the effects are similar (such as the square lightning tendrils) but there can also be some enhancements (I had the trails also contain cyan lightning). Did that in my version and it works beautifully. A little more powerful than Cauterizer blasts, but also consumes ammo very quickly and has very limited range. However, it works well to stunlock enemies... even Cyberdemons.

shotfan wrote:Bishop Suit suggestions
I hope that Pillowblaster does not smite me with Thunderstuck for proposing the following changes to “balance” the B.A.D.A.S.S. :D I think that they could be implemented like a mutator, accessible from a setting named like “SLIGHTY LESS-OP BISHOP SUIT” in HERE BE DRAGONS. Now, the changes:
- Should spawn randomly (P=20%) in the place of a Megasphere (because they are the rarest items, excluding Automaps and Light Googles).
- Worn like Asbestos Suit, but its usage depends on remaining armour instead of time.
- 1 000 armour points, 90% damage reduction.

Also, thank you for keeping your preservation for long enough to make Bishop real!

Isn't the BFG-9000 the rarest pickup in Doom?

shotfan wrote:Other suggestions
- New power-up: superbag for gold
SO, somebody here stated that on some WADs you get gold too fast, and you hit the account limit of 99 999 after you have bought everything. Thus, I propose to introduce THIS:
BAG OF WEALTH
Cost: 99 999 gold
Allows to carry unlimited amount of gold (or, at least 999 999 units of it).
So, Cygnis will now have no problems storing all of those mountains of gems and other precious stuff. And the price of Bag of Wealth should assure that one will purchase this bag only when one is really going to make a use of it. After all, you do not want to waste the maximum of gold amount if you are not going to profit from such investment?

Actually, in this recent version, PB had updated the HUD and Dosh code to accept six figures. So the super-bag would probably not work, unless you propose moving that to 7 figures, which would be highly unnecessary.

shotfan wrote:- New spell: Bling Toss
This is another answer to excess gold. Bling Toss (inspired by Gil Toss ability from Final Fantasy) allows you to throw coins of gold and gems at lethal velocity, taken from your supply. It is expensive to purchase (5 000 gold), but consumes only a symbolic, single point of Mana. However, as you expect, it instead uses up a large sum of money – one thousand gold coins per toss, to be exact. I think it should act like an analog of Powercube from Russian Overkill, throwing forth a mass of gold coins with some gems among them. In this regard it would be very similar to Threadcutter, but of course the real selling point of Bling Toss is the fact it uses money to fire, not mana (what is one Mana point, if Cygnis passively regenerates around five points of it per second?).
Damage? I do not know really, maybe a bit more powerful than Treadcutter (one shots Barons? Hmm… obviously, it should consume more money than you could harvest from your killed enemies after the shot). I will leave it to you, if you choose to implement this spell.
The tomed/amplified version gives you a 50% discount on shot for the same amount of fired jewelry and expends 2 points of Mana :)

I had an idea similar to this. It went something along the lines of "Guncaster: Gold Rush" or "Guncaster: Loadsamoney Edition" or something like that. What would happen is that all of your guns (not spells) would use Dosh as ammo, and every single ammo pickup would be replaced with some amount of dosh, to help keep your ammo supply supple. And maybe, enemies would drop even more dosh to help with that.

shotfan wrote:- Double Extreme Sphere’s price
10 000 gold is too cheap for a 2 minute-long power-up that makes you invulnerable and grants infinite ammo, among other things.
But this is only my opinion, and this mod is not meant for multiplayer, so this thing is not important.

In my opinion, the price is high, but it's like a wholesale discount. It's cheaper than getting all of those powerups from the shop. I think it's fine where it is, but if it were to change, the maximum I'd go for is 15,000.

shotfan wrote:- A separate power-up that gives dualcasting, analogous to Gunzerk

Interesting idea. I believe others may have brought this one up too...
DoomKrakken
All but inactive here on the forums. Contact me on Discord for quicker replies.

Discord: DoomKrakken#2719

Postby shotfan » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:06 pm

Sounds interesting... but that might make the Cauterizer's strat fire a little too OP. I would also think of getting the lightning attack of Russian Overkill's "Power Cube". Many of the effects are similar (such as the square lightning tendrils) but there can also be some enhancements (I had the trails also contain cyan lightning). Did that in my version and it works beautifully. A little more powerful than Cauterizer blasts, but also consumes ammo very quickly and has very limited range. However, it works well to stunlock enemies... even Cyberdemons.

I was amazed by the Ironblast's Vengeful Spirit, so I wanted to came up with something similarly unorthodox. As for OP-ness, there is the Ion Cann... ehem, the Space Nuke, so... :D
But you can always increase ammo expenditure to balance it out. Maybe 3 Cauterizer ammo units per Thunderghost?

Isn't the BFG-9000 the rarest pickup in Doom?

Doom Wiki says you are right. Mind you, I said that taking secret areas into consideration, where I think Megaspheres reside more often than BFGs. I was saying from my experience - which of course proves nothing. But when playing with your monster addon, Tiberium Zombies are not that uncommon, so yeah. But then again, this mod in general makes you kinda ovepowered by intent - if I understand Pillowblaster right - so this may be yet another trivial point.

Actually, in this recent version, PB had updated the HUD and Dosh code to accept six figures. So the super-bag would probably not work, unless you propose moving that to 7 figures, which would be highly unnecessary.

Damn, I was lazy and I have not checked it. Sorry :oops:

I had an idea similar to this. It went something along the lines of "Guncaster: Gold Rush" or "Guncaster: Loadsamoney Edition" or something like that. What would happen is that all of your guns (not spells) would use Dosh as ammo, and every single ammo pickup would be replaced with some amount of dosh, to help keep your ammo supply supple. And maybe, enemies would drop even more dosh to help with that.

And killed enemies turn into Midas statues? :)

In my opinion, the price is high, but it's like a wholesale discount. It's cheaper than getting all of those powerups from the shop. I think it's fine where it is, but if it were to change, the maximum I'd go for is 15,000.

Deal! :D
shotfan
Waiting for Taggart

Postby PillowBlaster » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:16 pm

I don't feel like quoting so:

-I have an idea for the TNT. Just gotta do it at some point, which would likely happen after Cauterizer would get retooled.
-Speaking of which, Cauterizer is dead in development - it would get a Strat, but I need new version of it first. (And that's dependant on DoomNukem's spriting effort.) I'll decide on strat once core weapon will be done, albeit I already have an idea for it.
-Suit is meant to be OP beyond relief. I don't plan to balance it, but I think being on BFG slot makes it more rare than being on megasphere, so there's that.
-Yeah, there's a limit of six digits already. I've got that idea lately after having to deal with slaughterwad or two.
-Bling toss sounds like a very good idea! Ravecube was one of my personal favorites, and at some point, money does get an overflow - I'll definitely think about it. It doesn't suit the nature of a hoarder, but that's all but silly detail.
-I did think about doubling the price. I'll see about it.
-Dual spellcast is obviously something I tackled once or twice, but proved to be too much of a pain in the ass to be done sensibly.
-I'm afraid I can't really handle such sensible approach-requiring stuff. I am a skilled modder, but more of an artistic mind, and still far from a programmer.

DoomKrakken wrote:It said in the commented-out description of the Dynamite Stratocaster that it would be granted a fancy flame effect... I was thinking it could have the flame effect of the Rasputin Flame Shell from PB's Russian Overkill. That's what I did in my version... (and it works BEAUTIFULLY :D)

Look, I don't wanna break your enthusiasm, but your posts are giving wrong impression that you are part of the mod's development, and purveying your own work and considerations for your own, personal, non-releasable variant to the mod as if they are part of the core files, which they are not. I'm happy to hear suggestions and feedback, but if you want to talk about your own personal changes, I ask that you take it to private messages.
PillowBlaster

Postby DoomKrakken » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:28 pm

shotfan wrote:I was amazed by the Ironblast's Vengeful Spirit, so I wanted to came up with something similarly unorthodox. As for OP-ness, there is the Ion Cann... ehem, the Space Nuke, so... :D
But you can always increase ammo expenditure to balance it out. Maybe 3 Cauterizer ammo units per Thunderghost?

Yeah, that could work. It should also look larger and maybe deal slightly more damage. However, the homing aspect of the gun kind of trails alongside the Ironblast, Hitchcock's Birds, Frostbite, Corpseblast, and Thunderstruck.

shotfan wrote:Doom Wiki says you are right. Mind you, I said that taking secret areas into consideration, where I think Megaspheres reside more often than BFGs. I was saying from my experience - which of course proves nothing. But when playing with your monster addon, Tiberium Zombies are not that uncommon, so yeah. But then again, this mod in general makes you kinda ovepowered by intent - if I understand Pillowblaster right - so this may be yet another trivial point.

I was guessing off the top of my head... it was based off of my personal experience with Doom. Old Dreadful zombies rarely drop their Old Dreadfuls now upon death. The next version of the mod will have to take into consideration the RandomSpawner BFG replacement, so that they don't drop Powersuits (though that'd be fun and hilarious).

shotfan wrote:Damn, I was lazy and I have not checked it. Sorry :oops:

No worries. ;)

shotfan wrote:And killed enemies turn into Midas statues? :)

This idea came about before the Philosopher's Tome came about... so, originally, no. Even now, I'd still say no, because that'd take things too far. However, frequent usage of the Philosopher's Tome is encouraged, of course. ;)

shotfan wrote:Deal! :D

XD

PillowBlaster wrote:Look, I don't wanna break your enthusiasm, but your posts are giving wrong impression that you are part of the mod's development, and purveying your own work and considerations for your own, personal, non-releasable variant to the mod as if they are part of the core files, which they are not. I'm happy to hear suggestions and feedback, but if you want to talk about your own personal changes, I ask that you take it to private messages.

:shock: Oh shoot! That's not what I wanted to convey! Sorry about that...
DoomKrakken

Postby Zhs2 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:18 pm

If we find another slaughterwad that fills up your money to maximum too fast, I expect seven digits. So far as we have tested, it took at least 13 maps to fill up six digits worth of gold. Five digits was just too dang low and took something like two, three maps. =)

Also, shotfan, slaughterwads have tons of megaspheres. Plus, the idea to make it a BFG spawn was inspired by Demonsteele ;)

Addendum: Holy Hell UV was nearly enough to
(About 60,000 gold short, never did get a dr. phil (jew) tome for automatic money pickup in order to test the max amount of money and my framerates were hating me)
Zhs2
Power of meh.

Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby NullWire » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:10 am

Please tell if you would gonna add more weapons, please..

This mod is AWESOME!! :D
NullWire

Postby Zhs2 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:49 am

Only if DoomNukem finishes drawing them. :V
Zhs2
Power of meh.

Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby DoomKrakken » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:18 am

Suggestion for the Cauterizer's design...

One thing that I absolutely love about this current version of the Cauterizer is its somewhat rounded appearance. It gives it a unique form. It's not as visible when you're holding it... look more closely at the pickup sprite itself to see what I mean.

It'd be cool if the front of the weapon was a little more elliptical, and if the elliptical property was a little more obvious in the weapon sprite. Probably should be somewhat pill-shaped.

Can a rounded elliptical design be worked into the next version of the Cauterizer?

P.S.: Still looking forward to that awesome-ass sword. :D
DoomKrakken

Postby FaggoStorm » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:01 am

Im in love with a metal suit...?
FaggoStorm

Postby shotfan » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:08 am

Thank you guys for all the replies. However yet, I wanted to clarify my idea of Thunderghost, coming back to DoomKrakken's post:
Yeah, that could work. It should also look larger and maybe deal slightly more damage. However, the homing aspect of the gun kind of trails alongside the Ironblast, Hitchcock's Birds, Frostbite, Corpseblast, and Thunderstruck.

In the new version the Cauterizer blasts look streamlined, so the old projectile size would work nicely. More damage is also justifable.
But I want to specifically address the Thunderghost's targeting method:
What I want to convey is that Thunderghost would NOT be homing - it would be hunting! Ironblast's Spirit stays at your shoulder and only fires at enemies in your field of view; Frostbite are dumb ice grenades that simply bounce off walls; and I did not spot any significant homing of the Thunderstruck or Corpseblast.
The Ravens are definitely the closest to what I imagine of Thunderghost, because they seek out and attack enemies autonomously, even behind obstacles. The differences would be: Thunderghost would be a Stratocaster, not a spell (and consequently it would use ammo, not mana - different ammo pools are one reason why something can find practical application in gameplay, as a substitute of a thing that does the same but requires other resource), would have much longer range, and it could travel through map like a monster (again, Hades Sphere is a good reference here, but Thunderghost would retain Cauterizer blast's normal speed).
So, its heuristics would go like this: you could fire it from afar at open doorway, and it would go straight; randomly choose a path at intersection; turn around if it finds an unopened door; and after spotting an enemy it would home on him and attack. If another enemy with higher remaining health would show up, it would attack him first instead, then the next in descending health order. Repeat until Thunderghost dissipates with time.
Practically, it would be useful for example when low on health and money, so you could clear a next few rooms safely, hoping for some health packs to show up there.
But of course, it is all for Pillowblaster to decide what to implement.

Anyway, thanks to you all once more for hearing me out!
shotfan
Waiting for Taggart

Postby DoomKrakken » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:55 pm

Frostbite homes in on people too, so they're not "dumb ice grenades".

Tomed Thunderstruck was the part I was referring to. It acts the same as the Ironblast. It finds the closest enemies and fires at them.

So, you're thinking about creating an actual monster from the gun??? Interesting... sounds like an idea I had for Scourgebreath... :)

To have it attack monsters in order of highest health to lowest health will probably require some ACS. Seems super complicated.
DoomKrakken

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods