The Guncaster - 3.888b

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
fire238

Re: The Guncaster - 3.2

Post by fire238 »

Got it working! God, this is some good stuff.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

A bug (?) I've been meaning to bring up forever and keep forgetting. If you have powerups set to be used on pickup you can't pick up rejuv pots if you have full health. Seems like an oversight.
I like that the caco has blue blood now but I figured hellknight and baron would get green blood, theirs is still red.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Great to see 3.2 finally come to life! Great new swell bloke mode, awesome new spell system for dual-hand casting, and incredible overpowered melee attack. :D Now, without a doubt, we can call it a proper Satan simulator. :mrgreen: Too bad you can't put powersuit on enhanced body though... :( Would be cool to be big and swell, yet fast and metal; at least you can still equip draugh. :wink: I hope this project never dies, afterall the potential of this mod is literally infinite. :P

Now for the bad part. Sorry to be this one guy, but... feedback buglist time!

1) Bug: the shop.
What it does, how to replicate and how it affect the game:
a) Buttons are messed up and are away from actual buttons in order to be activated\triggered. However, the left and right button to switch between circles is in working fine and triggered\activated just when you have your mouse cursor pointing at it with no issues.
b) The cursor is incredible slow. So slow that, without exaggeration, should be like 10 times more sensitive in order to match the ingame's mouselook sensitivity.
c) Clicking and activating any of stratocaster takes a while in order to see the glowing circle effect. Takes like a second before it get highlighted, which is very confusing; perhaps speed it up to see that you actually activate the stratocaster, or switch the spell?
Found and tested in: Doom 2, GZDoom 3.7.2, all levels. I bet this happens in all other games.

2) Bug: The "previous spell" button, or "deckbackward" command doesn't include all of the spells in it's list.
What it does, how to replicate and how it affect the game: as far I'm tested out of all spells, it doesn't contain all spells to cicle through, nammely Hammersmite. And as far I tested, the "next spell" buttons circle through all available spells you have.
Found and tested in: Doom 2, GZDoom 3.7.2, all levels. I bet this happens in all other games.

3) Bug: dual-vield Spirit Cannons sometimes glitch out and do not fire to nearby enemy.
What it does, how to replicate and how it affect the game: the Spirit Cannons when summoned with dual-vield casting system during the Deadmaker's Mask sometimes just stop firing at all, even if it's just a single nearby enemy, even if you have plently of Mana.
Found and tested in: Doom 2, GZDoom 3.7.2, level map20. Summoned a few of these in various places, maybe this is the reason why they glitch out?

4) Bug: Gold Emperor's is broken. I suppose this is quite obvious one so someone before me probably already reported it.
What it does, how to replicate and how it affect the game: Gold Emperor's stratocaster automatically disabled when holding the weapon, and cannot be activated afterwards. Pretty much lacking it's homing firemode no matter what I tried to do with it.
Found and tested in: Doom 2, GZDoom 3.7.2, map01, map18, map20 and some other maps.

5) Bug: The Apocalypse spell is weaker when dual-vield hand casting in Deadmaker's Mask, compared to one hand casting with Ancient Amplifier with or without Deadmaker's Mask.
What it does, how to replicate and how it affect the game: When you using the Apocalypse spell during the dual-hand casting, it feels as powerful as normal casting of Apocalypse spell when neither amplified by Ancient Amplifier and using just one hand for casting, which isn't that powerful and feels weak in comparison to the rest of spells in dual-vield mode. In fact, you're still firing the weak version of Apocalypse spell when dual-vield casting under Deadmaker's Mask even when you're under the enhanced stance of Ancient Amplifier.
Found and tested in: Doom 2, GZDoom 3.7.2, map01 and some other maps. I suppose it happens everywhere.

Well, that's all regarding the actual bugs that I've discovered so far. I hope in future version of Guncaster, all of the spells either get a little more powerful in dual-vield hand casting than under normal one-hand casting during the Amplifier Mode, or get completely different fire mode, namely Chillgrasp, Annihilation, Rachmaninov's Punch, Corpseblast and [secret-spell-that-I-can't-say-in-order-to-not-spoil-it] :P.

However, there is one more "bug" that I believe is actually inteded to be this way, and I doubt it's an oversight either, but I'll report it anyway.

6) Bug (?), or oversight (?), or intended(?): Gold Emperor's max ammo doesn't increase when picking up backpack.
What it does, how to replicate and how it affect the game: Gold Emperor's maximum ammo capacity doesn't increase once you picking up backpack that supposed to increase the ammo capacity of all ammo types. Simple as that. Maybe it doesn't increase ammo because you're using Magical weapon regenerates ammo on it's own?
Found and tested in: Doom 2, GZDoom 3.7.2, map20.
CaptainNurbles
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Doing a run through Strife at the moment with Guncaster 3.2 plus the addon. Its still pretty functional, although there's a couple of glitches I've noticed, nothing gamebreaking through. Keys are displayed in the top right like they would be in Doom with its 6 keys, although with Strife having dozens that you always hold onto, this can get in the way kind of :o

The second one is with barrels. Picking them up in Strife allows you to clone barrels! Pressing the grab button grabs them like normal, except the barrel stays on the ground, while you also have a new one in hand. Dropping the one you've got will set down a brand new barrel with glitched textures. Repeat ad nauseum for endless boom.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

I'll answer what concerns my turf:

-Powersuit sharing got changed into general special item sharing, forgot to change that in menudef; fixed.
-The extra cannon is hexen version; I added a makeshift solution for that but it only works with give all. I rectified that proper yesterday.
-I thought that autoheal is pretty self-explanatory once stuff happens, but fine, will do.
-I think I fixed the rejuv pot thing and then it got reverted or something before release. Will investigate later.
-I prefer the blood on barons and the likes to be red, don't ask me why.
-I think we'll stick with floats and let dev fellas fix it on their side. Please refer to Keks for reasoning why.

-Golden Emperor works fine. It was toggled at first but I wanted more control over guidance so I made it only work if you hold the button. Also its ammo doesn't expand, indeed. You get ten shots that refill and that's it.
-Deadmaker's Apocalypse actually is stronger per-se; it doesn't spray big blasts but a lot more of smaller ones, I prefered it that way.
-Didn't notice anything out of ordinary regarding Deadmaker's Spiritcannons, didn't manage to make it block, but I'll keep an eye out.
-I don't have ideas for empowered variations on those for now, so I'll keep them as-is. Also Skypunch is actually better, it throws much bigger and stronger fists by default.

-I tucked in the strife keys into corner cause there was no good place to put them otherwise, and I found the key menu kinda tacky.
-Yeah, I think I recall something being funky but I forgot investigating. Will look into that strife barrels issue.
will183
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win-10

Post by will183 »

Where the hell is the download button on media i can't find it whatsoever.
Dalse

Post by Dalse »

Man. The Mask is the reason I downloaded this update.
I admit that it tickled a power fantasy of mine: Being a giant freaking dragon that blows maps with huge fires, explosions and tons of muscle! It is so fun popping imps by just walking into them , also the empowered magics...

The catharsis factor is real! I am so going to follow this for what you are going to add on this addon! Specially if it is related to the mask and..being huge.

Thanks a lot for the mod , Guncaster team!
Gourry

Post by Gourry »

Got a warning McAfee web advisor said that the add-on might have malware or viruses on it. Should I ignore this?
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

I don't know if it's me updating gzdoom or your performance enhancements but this patch is running great. I'm playing levels with relative high monster counts and eye candy turned on and getting good frames even when the shit is flying. I'm actually able to use AO for once.
GuntherDW

Post by GuntherDW »

phantombeta wrote:It's technically GZDoom's fault on this one - but it's nothing new, either. (It also happens in 3.7.2, and pretty much any earlier versions)
The issue was always there, and so was the assertion - but of course, assertions are only triggered in debug builds, so unless you were using one to run Guncaster 3.2 before, it wouldn't have showed up. It also shouldn't actually create any problems, anyway. (So you can tell it to ignore the assertion)
Of course, you absolutely shouldn't use a debug build for regular playing, because debug builds are horribly, absurdly slow. Specially so if you have the JIT disabled or you're using a non-x86_64 architecture.
Don't worry about the wall of text.
By default when you don't specify what version to build when running cmake it indeed defaults to a debug build. I didn't think it'd cause that much trouble given that I was only doing this to test out certain scenario's. But thanks either way.
Now I at least know why it's causing issues...

You have to specifically add "-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release" if you want to make a Release build instead of a Debug build.
OTOH this is something that could/should change in gzdoom maybe? Most projects don't really add extra debugging information unless the compilation or configuration stage specifically enables them?
The main issue was in zdoom but then again gzdoom/qzdoom are (for now) the main projects now?

Anyway, I can indeed confirm that when you just compile master (HEAD), the shop gets broken after a save/load cycle. When you go for the 3.7.2 tag (or just download the source archive I'd assume) it's fine after a load/save cycle.
Beezle

Post by Beezle »

Gourry wrote:Got a warning McAfee web advisor said that the add-on might have malware or viruses on it. Should I ignore this?
Yeah its fine to use, Norton gives me a warning every time I update GZDoom and run it for the 1st time, not the exact same warning you got but I can assure its safe to use.
Rayd3r

Post by Rayd3r »

Can we get the old plasma gun to back to go in the addon? (can't remember it's name now, it was the one Augur replaced) Maybe like as something you can buy from the shop or something like that. Would be nice since it is visually and functionally different than the Augur.
Ribo Zurai

Post by Ribo Zurai »

I have have noticed a glitch about the monster healthbar/shop not showing up, and how to replicate it:

1- Start a new game. In my test, I loaded in the highest difficulty.
2- Save your game near a monster, looking at it, assuring the monster's health is displayed.
3- Die.
4- When your save is restored, that monster's health display is stuck in your HUD, and the shop button stops working. This stays for the entire gameplay. The only way to fix it is to restarting the game.

EDIT: That glitch happens in the January 24th's SVN build. I got the same glitch to happen in an older one, except that the shop still works while the HUD monster health display is stuck.
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

First of all, I would like to say thanks for the mod to PillowBlaster! It's really brilliant, have one of the best seen revolvers, and PillowBlaster himself have an inimitable sense of humour (lol "lettuce, spice and sauce" instead of "blood, gore and violence"; played way too long and have noticed it only recently). The amount of work is so great that it deserves to win yet another Cacoward. And of course, this mod inspired some ppl like DinosaurNerd to make something off it, and thanks PillowBlaster for that as well.
(I write panegyrics like that very rarely, but when something is outstanding, the very little it deserves is my kind words.)

Now on to the business.
Ribo Zurai wrote:I have have noticed a glitch about the monster healthbar/shop not showing up, and how to replicate it:

1- Start a new game. In my test, I loaded in the highest difficulty.
2- Save your game near a monster, looking at it, assuring the monster's health is displayed.
3- Die.
4- When your save is restored, that monster's health display is stuck in your HUD, and the shop button stops working. This stays for the entire gameplay. The only way to fix it is to restarting the game.

EDIT: That glitch happens in the January 24th's SVN build. I got the same glitch to happen in an older one, except that the shop still works while the HUD monster health display is stuck.
I confirm that bug.
In \zscript\HealthView.txt there are some commented lines (from 17 up to 23):

Code: Select all

/* override void WorldLoaded (WorldEvent event) {
		cvar_show = Cvar.GetCvar("gc_viewhealth", players [consoleplayer]);

if(event.issavegame && players [consoleplayer].mo) {
			m_show_hp.Init(players [consoleplayer].mo);
		}
	} */
It's a handler of 'level start' or 'game load' or 'something similar' events for Health display; it's commented somehow. Idk why, probably PillowBlaster could reveal that... I've tried to uncomment those lines, and the bug is gone. So try and test it yourself, and see what issues may pop up?

And what about shop? Does that bug still exist?

PS: If you don't know how to uncomment, or open pk3, or anything, tell me. I'll send you fixed pk3.
Gourry

Post by Gourry »

Beezle wrote:
Gourry wrote:Got a warning McAfee web advisor said that the add-on might have malware or viruses on it. Should I ignore this?
Yeah its fine to use, Norton gives me a warning every time I update GZDoom and run it for the 1st time, not the exact same warning you got but I can assure its safe to use.
Alright, thanks.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”