The Guncaster - 3.888b

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Mackery

Re: [Update] The Guncaster - 3.0 preview

Post by Mackery »

Does anyone know any good mods that enhance the Guncaster experience? I already know the MapsofChaos.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Maps Of Chaos is a normie mapset. I love Maps Of Chaos!

Yeah, there are plenty of mods out there. I'd suggest Ultimate Torment 'N Torture for one...

... man I can't remember most of the stuff I've played with Guncaster. It's been too long since I last played Guncaster... :(

Oh, then there's a monster randomizer I made, which also comes with a Guncaster-compatibility addon, to enhance the monsters further and make them fully compatible with Guncaster. It's likely going to be scrapped with this coming version of Guncaster, now that I know quite a bit of ZScript... because I may have figured out a way to apply all of Guncaster's affliction system to any monster generically... without said monsters needing to be specially programmed to die in certain ways. :D
baddude1337

Post by baddude1337 »

DoomKrakken wrote:Maps Of Chaos is a normie mapset. I love Maps Of Chaos!

Yeah, there are plenty of mods out there. I'd suggest Ultimate Torment 'N Torture for one...

... man I can't remember most of the stuff I've played with Guncaster. It's been too long since I last played Guncaster... :(

Oh, then there's a monster randomizer I made, which also comes with a Guncaster-compatibility addon, to enhance the monsters further and make them fully compatible with Guncaster. It's likely going to be scrapped with this coming version of Guncaster, now that I know quite a bit of ZScript... because I may have figured out a way to apply all of Guncaster's affliction system to any monster generically... without said monsters needing to be specially programmed to die in certain ways. :D
I hope you do some kind of update, that mod really adds variety and difficulty to the enemies that makes Guncaster much more enjoyable for me!
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

Well first we need to wait for the update to come out. pillow could have done the job already? who knows really?

All i know is that this is going to be a great update for a great mod.
RMD00

Post by RMD00 »

Mackery wrote:Does anyone know any good mods that enhance the Guncaster experience? I already know the MapsofChaos.
Joy of Mapping 4, Whispers of Satan, Doom Vacation, Toward the Hell, Crusades, and Moon Blood to name a few.
Solaela
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Solaela »

DoomKrakken wrote:Maps Of Chaos is a normie mapset. I love Maps Of Chaos!

That would be amazing to see. Also thanks for reminding me I need to reget ZDL with this post for that XD
DemonbaneSol

Post by DemonbaneSol »

So while waiting around for version 3.0, I decided to screw around with DUMP 1 and 2 using Guncaster 2.8a in GZDoom 3.2.5. I was wondering why exactly the max ammo counts get screwed up upon picking up a backpack in a map after getting at least one in a previous map. Is it because of the WAD forcing a pistol start on each map?
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Yeah apparently Guncaster does not do well with pistol starts in my experience. might want to look for another mapset.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Well, here's the thing... ResetInventory doesn't work on changes made via ACS... such as the ammo expansion scripts done by the Hammerspace Backpack.

If you want a true clean-slate, a death exit is the way to go. But that's not how it's handled in DUMP. I'd suggest getting a version of DUMP that only takes away keys upon level transition (fortunately, I have versions for all three of 'em ready to go).

@baddude1337 I'll tell you what I have planned for an update on my monster randomizer thread, if you decide to ask me about it there. In the meantime, we should continue just talking about Guncaster here.
Apteral10

Post by Apteral10 »

I wonder how mod creator feels about putting out new version of this mod and what is this going to do next. This looks very nice update and I will be looking forward to play it.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Didn't he say he was super excited somewhere in the video?

The team's been working on it for, like, two years, since the previous update. There's so much stuff crammed into it now that PB could barely contain his excitement in the trailer. So I'd assume it's gonna take the modding community by storm, and give it an old-fashioned dragonoid-throttling. :D
RMD00

Post by RMD00 »

Gotta say, Big City Nights (Moment of Glory) that was played in the latest video is now a part of my workout play list. Right now playing a new mini megawad with 2.8 eagerly awaiting the drop.
WolfMann

Post by WolfMann »

I am still here. The blood effects are still awful for me.
Doesn't matter what version, what mods, what settings...
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

The blood effects have remained pretty constant throughout Guncaster's development. It's still Sgt. Mark IV's work, and it's still the same bloody mess Pillow has enjoyed including but been too afraid to touch because it's Sgt. Mark IV's work. That, and inventing your own gore is a ton of work, I'd wager.

Or do you mean to say that it slows your framerate to a crawl whenever you experience it?
WolfMann

Post by WolfMann »

The thing is. You know the massive blood puffs and baths you can get? The ones trully worthy to receive the comment "This room looked better in red anyway."

I have none of that. Only a tiny teeny splurt. "I accidentally applied too much pressure on my ketchup" splurt.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”