The Guncaster - 3.888b

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
PillowBlaster

Re: The Guncaster - 3.5a

Post by PillowBlaster »

Rowsol wrote:Inonblast strat spawns casing with toaster mode on. How about instead of toaster mode disabling casings it just make them immediately vanish upon death. This way the pulverizer isn't nerfed and you still get some satisfying bounce sounds.
Consider that done.
Terashi wrote:I wish there was an add-on that let you sell weapons, ammo, and items to the shopkeeper. Even with loadsofmoney mode on, I never have enough money to buy a variety of things in any of the default game's chapters. Or is this mod meant to be used with megawads?
Well, it is generally recommended, yeah. Stock maps won't offer you much of a challenge at all anyway, but its fun for starters.
Yelso wrote:Cool, do you have any patches that let strange aeons work with guncaster?

Edit: also, what make packs do you recommend with the mod, I use going down and doomrl monster pack myself. Anything you can recommend?
Nope, I kinda don't wanna go into patch business, given it sadly turns into extra upkeep to take care of.

Packs I dunno about, but I think it also works with Rampancy by Yholl as he's a cool boi who went extra mile with that, so go check that out. Otherwise, give it a whirl with some megawads that don't alter things other than maps themselves. Boom-compatible stuff is usually way to go, even if they sometimes have dehacked extras, it didn't stop me from enjoying it.
AvzinElkein wrote:Bug found in the addon; in Hexen, collecting the Sandman parts in the wrong order prevents you from getting it. Source: I used Kinsie's mod test wad.
As far as I know, the order doesn't matter one bit, they are still ol' Hexen pieces, so probably something else is afoot here. I'll investigate.
AvzinElkein wrote:Dunno if bug, but if you get that powerup that adds 10 to current and future armor, purple scale sigils only go up to 400, instead of the 400+ you get from Tank Armor.
Does sound like a bug... I guess I'll poke Zhs2 about it since it is his turf.
rolandborder

Post by rolandborder »

Is it possible to create addon for some weapons from Russian Overkill, cause i love borsch weapon (and also Gurumaster) from RO?
EatMant
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by EatMant »

Hi, I'm fairly new to Doom modding but I've got some issues when running GunCaster. I've been playing GC with Heretic on GZDoom for a bit now and I don't think the addon loads right, as I don't get things like the Demoman's Eyepatch or the Sandman, and the weapon shop doesn't work at all.

GZDoom also gives me a Very Fatal Error whenever I quit out, not sure if that's important.

I'm a little lost with where to give bug reports or if this even is a bug and I'm just dumb and missing something, so please don't call me an idiot because I already know. I just need some help, please and thank you.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

rolandborder wrote:Is it possible to create addon for some weapons from Russian Overkill, cause i love borsch weapon (and also Gurumaster) from RO?
It sure is, but I'd leave it to DIY territory, to be honest.
EatMant wrote:Hi, I'm fairly new to Doom modding but I've got some issues when running GunCaster. I've been playing GC with Heretic on GZDoom for a bit now and I don't think the addon loads right, as I don't get things like the Demoman's Eyepatch or the Sandman, and the weapon shop doesn't work at all.

GZDoom also gives me a Very Fatal Error whenever I quit out, not sure if that's important.

I'm a little lost with where to give bug reports or if this even is a bug and I'm just dumb and missing something, so please don't call me an idiot because I already know. I just need some help, please and thank you.
It's fine, relevant to mod bugs go to mod thread. But I need to know a couple things to even attempt at cracking that.

-If you don't launch by drag'n'drop, load order might come handy.
-What's your gzdoom version.
-The error message itself. I dunno how me or anyone else in the crew will be able to help, given the nature of VFE. But, an attempt will be made.
EatMant

Post by EatMant »

PillowBlaster wrote:
-If you don't launch by drag'n'drop, load order might come handy.
-What's your gzdoom version.
-The error message itself. I dunno how me or anyone else in the crew will be able to help, given the nature of VFE. But, an attempt will be made.
I'm using the latest GZDoom version, 4.3.3

My load order is:

Guncaster.pk3
GC_Addon.pk3

I gotta load GC first before I load GC_Addon or else it crashes. Loading weaponshop in any order crashes it.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by error message, so I'm including the CrashReport.zip GZDoom generates after closing the game. In there will be the usual stuff it makes along with an error report GZDoom gives me when trying to load weaponshop.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

I guess there's not much I can do about it, Keks' probably too. I hoped to get a read out of the error message aka what gets logged in-game when the crash happens, but checking your crash dump, there's nothing there. Just entering level and... poof, nothing. Will try to look around nonetheless.
EatMant

Post by EatMant »

PillowBlaster wrote:I guess there's not much I can do about it, Keks' probably too. I hoped to get a read out of the error message aka what gets logged in-game when the crash happens, but checking your crash dump, there's nothing there. Just entering level and... poof, nothing. Will try to look around nonetheless.
Anything else I can provide to maybe make it easier?
Yelso
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Yelso »

Is there any way to get rid of the glitch when you use avactor and guncaster at the same time? The imps fire projectile doesn't go away and sticks on the environment.
sirleviatan

Post by sirleviatan »

great job and congratulations, people forget that in addition to Brutal Doom, there are really amazing projects out there, this is one of the best, really amazing, thanks for your work.
Kagur

Post by Kagur »

great job and congratulations, people forget that in addition to Brutal Doom, there are really amazing projects out there, this is one of the best, really amazing, thanks for your work.
No. I agree that this mod is awesome, but it can't be compared to Brutal Doom as a game play project because both are very different in how they are played and viewed by the community.

Pillow's mod is solely focused on the player's side, which in terms of game play only matters when you are playing this with a mod that has predefined enemies and maps (really hard ones, considering the amount of power given to the player's arsenal). In Brutal Doom, its a whole package with upgraded enemies to match the player's upgraded status, along with other modifications on the map.

Now if Pillow were to make an enemy pack corresponding to this or his other player focused mods, then we have a comparison. I know Pillow has mentioned earlier that he doesn't work on enemy side of things, but I think a good rogues gallery is what defines a good main protagonist, so if he were to start making enemies in the style of how he creates players (not just giving them the same weapon as the player, but adding new functionalities and features pushing the limit of gzdoom) I think it would really boost the state of this mod.
Wivicer

Post by Wivicer »

Kagur wrote: Stuff
If you need a good enemy pack to play this with, check out DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer with its Guncaster Addon: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=62911
That might have what you're looking for.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

With BD it's not so much that the monsters are upgraded to match the player, it's the tight coupling they have to the weapons which allows for a lot more variance in what works well against what and also for flavour purposes in all the visceral ways you can mess 'em up. That integration does have its downsides though and I personally prefer being able to mix and match my weapons and monsters, particularly because most weapon mods wreck vanilla enemies. To that end Guncaster I generally pair with LegenDoom Lite and Colourful Hell with all tiers enabled.

Also the best part of the mod to me is that it has a fun main character and I love how he's integrated into all the main IWADs. Strife particularly.
Yelso
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Yelso »

My choice would be doomRL monster pack. Has a custom menu showing guncasters dragon in the difficulty selection screen.
Fureyon

Post by Fureyon »

I agree that DoomRL is a great monster pack to use with Guncaster. And I also enjoy Colorful Hell. I also agree that you can't really compare this mod to Brutal Doom.

As said, Brutal Doom is more about enriching all aspects of Doom gameplay.
Guncaster's focus is more of a power fantasy.
Both are gameplay mods but they have very distinct focuses on what each one of them is supposed to provide as far as experience is concerned.

As a side note, I prefer to have the option of picking new monsters or not. But if you want a more balanced Guncaster experience look up Guncaster Vindicated, which is a branch made by Dino_Nerd. That mod is more balanced and challenging than base Guncaster, tunes up the monsters too making them more like Brutal Doom's in a way, but since it's a balanced mod, it will gate your more powerful options.
CanisLaticanis
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by CanisLaticanis »

So random little ideas that could be implemented with the next patch, if you want more than bugfixes:
  • "Unbalance the Tome" CVAR: Changes the Philosopher's Tome such that it will start it's recharge process while still in effect, though the recharge will still be 45 seconds longer than the duration. Picking up a few Midas Spheres can easily offset that however. (Also, I imagine you couldn't reactivate it while still Midas Power'd for sanity reasons.)
  • Disable Powersuit auto-equip CVAR: Dunno WHY you wouldn't want to automatically use it, but still, some people find the powersuit a little too OP.
  • Faster Rather Than Stronger Sword CVAR: Change up the sword to, instead of gaining damage from melee power amplifiers, swing faster.
  • One-handed Strucker (CVAR?): It'd be really neat to have more options than the Longhorn and Pulverizer for using alongside spells, just saying!
  • Gun Duplication spell/item: Probably not the greatest idea, but would be interesting - use some mana to gain a second gun, but it works like Gunslinger Mode (no ammo regen or other Gunzerk effects). Might ONLY work on one-handed weapons for balance/sanity.
  • ADDON - Disable Deadmaker's Mask auto-equip CVAR: Exactly what it says on the tin - don't auto-equip the Deadmaker's Mask when picking up.
  • ADDON - Less Laggy Sandman CVAR: Not sure exactly how other than making the explosion less fancy, but something about the Sandman gives me a LOT of dropped frames when it's firing at full speed.
  • ADDON- Toggle Emperor's Breath: Because, well, this can kinda break maps if you accidentally nuke Romaro's head with a Mourning Glory shell. I still want wall-bypassing explosions to be a thing because, well, hilarious cheese is hilarious.
I really don't expect any of these to make the mod, but I figured I'd toss some ideas out there.

EDIT: One more thing - maybe add a CVar to let the Midas tome work with the sword?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”