The Guncaster - 3.888b

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TiberiumSoul
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [Release] The Guncaster - Rock the Dragon... today!

Post by TiberiumSoul »

been looking forwards to this for a long time
Ctrl+Alt+Destroy

Post by Ctrl+Alt+Destroy »

PillowBlaster wrote:
Ctrl+Alt+Destroy wrote:Fingers crossed in the hopes of amv2k9 porting this to Doom faster than you can say overkill. :P
Fingers crossed for some patience here, as I can't do everything in mere days, even if I have a break. I have other things to attend, after all. Otherwise, I need to get this mod in somewhat sane state (there shall be overpower of course, but not in the way that other things feel out of role, with few exceptions, heh) and iron out some things before moving on to Doom, as after couple of plays in comparison with some other mods I can easily tell that balance is sadly off as hell here. Unless you all don't mind it that much, but I don't feel like this shows good from me.
Understandable. It wasn't my intent l to show any sort of impatience even though it seemed very clear that I did. So for that, I apologize. Sometimes my fingers start talking before my mind starts thinking. A ported version for Doom would be nice, but until then (if ever), Heretic will do just fine. :P
TiberiumSoul
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TiberiumSoul »

i am thoroughly impressed with this pillowblaster :) nice work
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Just got to play this last night, and I'm really enjoying it so far!

Suggestions:
-Since healing pickups are red and mana pickups blue, perhaps the animated crystal vial icon in the HUD should be changed to red and the mana icon in the invbar changed to blue, so as to limit the possibility of the player getting confused about what those pickups are restoring?
-Maybe the bulletpuff could be changed to something a little more stylish to match the new weapons and magics, like Strife's bulletpuff?
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

I certainly wouldn't object to fancier puff sprites, but I don't think Strife's count as fancier given they're both pretty much the same thing except the Strife one is a little less sharp

Speaking of the HUD, I've made a couple of more changes to my fullscreen HUD.

-Bugfix: The mana counter now interpolates as per the health and armour bars
-The health, armour and mana bars are now brighter
-The default version of the HUD now has the gargoyleless ones shorter gold counter backboard (It was originally a dash too big)

Links:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/paomnrhzlwhbu ... caster.pk3 - With the gargoyles at the sides
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gnchmrt5g9csw ... leless.pk3 - Without the gargoyles at the sides
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

TheDarkArchon wrote:I certainly wouldn't object to fancier puff sprites, but I don't think Strife's count as fancier given they're both pretty much the same thing except the Strife one is a little less sharp
I meant the one with the wisp of smoke. An edit of it was used in Psychic, IIRC.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

and the puff needs to be lil' more bigger, also custom strife-ish puff would be fancy.
idGamer

Post by idGamer »

I've discovered a bug in the shop: On the third map in any episode, you can't buy things from the second menu (the one without spells in it).
An example:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrnwyb33kwgke ... 140912.PNG

Quite a lot of fun, too! Amazing work on the spells, especially the Lightning bolt. :)
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

idGamer wrote:I've discovered a bug in the shop: On the third map in any episode, you can't buy things from the second menu (the one without spells in it).
I tested this on both E1M3 and E2M3 and I couldn't reproduce the issue.
idGamer

Post by idGamer »

Strange, I can't seem to replicate it either. :|
LostSkull

Post by LostSkull »

I must ask. Are we now invulnerable to lava floors and the likes?
Jack Mackerel

Post by Jack Mackerel »

LostSkull wrote:I must ask. Are we now invulnerable to lava floors and the likes?
Seems like it, though I remember getting hurt by acid water in E1.
A.Gamma

Post by A.Gamma »

Made some further testing using HYMN; here's a small list of what I believe could be fixed:

1. As Mav3rick once said to me: Get rid of that donkey kick! It makes fighting on ledges unnecessarily difficult.

2.Why is lava non-damaging now? It kind of defeats the purpose of adding damaging floors.

3. Nothing happens when I buy Mana/Health stimulants. Same goes for armour.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

It's actually because the dragondudeguy has an immunity to Fire, to make the floor volcanoes a viable weapon, but since the lava floors also do Fire damage, the DamageFactor winds up affecting them too. They'd have to be redefined in [wiki]TERRAIN[/wiki] to do Slime damage like the other floors.

Armor doesn't check to see if you have armor of the same type or better, so it's unfortunately possible to buy armor even when you don't need it.

The Health stimulants are genuinely bugged. The Mana boosters work as intended, but mana is displayed in your inventory currently (it's the yellow vial), so its' effect is not immediately apparent if you don't have it selected. Would need a custom hud that can display mana as a meter in order to remedy that. RO didn't have a hud either, Weasel had to fix that.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

All of these things are being addressed and tested in the next update, along with a nice surprise (maybe two because a full HUD is one of them) for some of the whiners (except lava immunity and 1/4th the damage from slime floors. He's a dragon! With steel boots!)

EDIT: Make that three surprises. Thursday evening went to a good purpose.

Among other things in the meantime, I suppose I should leave an updated, compiled version of the base GUNCASTER library here for people, which contains the one line needed for Stimulant Syringes to work correctly and also a small change to air control setting since I didn't realize at first that it was a global variable...!
Last edited by Zhs2 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”