The Guncaster - 3.888b

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dinosaur_Nerd
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: The Guncaster - 3.0

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

In the keybindings for quick use items in the MENUDEF.txt

Code: Select all

Control 	"Gunzerk",					"HolyDogShit"
Control 	"Berserk",					"TentativeButtsecks"
Do not work

they can be fixed by changing them to

Control 	"Gunzerk",					"+HolyDogShit"
Control 	"Berserk",					"+TentativeButtsecks"
This way, Gunzerk/berserk for doom will be activated on down press of the button and their Potion versions for heretic and hexen will activate on the release of the button.

I encountered a game crashing error with the Augur Strat on DOOM2.wad (probably Hell on Earth, I can't remember if I'm running BFG edition right now or not)
when on MAP16 and firing the Augur with strat zoomed in to see the monsters through walls, and firing at the monsters located in sector 64 (The sector that holds the monsters that spawn after you collect the blue key) the game crashed with an error code about attempting to write zero to memory (I apologize I didn't write it down or screenshot, I was very tired...)

The game DID NOT crash while pressing the fire key, it crashed while simply aiming at the monsters with the scope zoom and strat active to see them through the wall.

Sadly, I have not been able to reproduce the same crash again.

It stated AugurTarget.o was the culprit

If I remember correctly, I think it is this on line 141 of AugurExtras

roll   = target.roll;
but this is just a guess... It was 4 a.m. and I'd been doing a lot of work so my mind was in a total fog...

If it ever happens again I'll probably obsess over it...

I might guess that one of the monsters in that sector crossed a line to teleport the way they're supposed to, Augur lost the target, panic'd and wrote the zero, then the game threw up its hands and crashed, but that's just another guess.

Back to testing more now,
-Dino
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

Is deleting tilter.o the only way to turn off screen tilting?

It looks neat and all, but I had to disable it because it was making me seriously sick.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Gollgagh wrote:Is deleting tilter.o the only way to turn off screen tilting?

It looks neat and all, but I had to disable it because it was making me seriously sick.
It tells you how to disable it in the options, I think.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Yeah, there's definitely a "Leave it on?" option for tilting.
Dinosaur_Nerd wrote:Augur VM abort with AugurTarget
We found this the other day during a multiplayer session. Some null checks have been added to ensure this doesn't happen for the next update.
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

Et voilà.

More evidence that I am entirely incapable of reading.
KeksDose

Post by KeksDose »

It kinda drowns in all that menu text. I added a switch to disable it easily in the next update (which also happens to be what Zhs2 mentioned).

The shop will have a few fixes as well, notably no longer clearing your unlocked items on hub change and allowing you to invert controls.
DemonbaneSol

Post by DemonbaneSol »

Well, I gave up on the run through Unloved after the game crashed to the main menu upon trying to switch from the Augur to something else. For my Winter's Fury run, I resorted to using the console to give myself each weapon when I would have acquired them normally. It seems to be working well enough so far.

I haven't made enough of a run through any episode of Heretic, but are Iron Lizard potions unlocked for buying once you find one?

Lastly, when is the ETA for the update? I am looking forward to using this mod to run through Hexen and Strife, but I intend to wait until the shop reset bug and other previously mentioned issues are fixed, first. I also hope to see the Mana Headache function fixed so that I can play some of these slaughtermaps without having to turn off particles or stand around casting spells and picking up the Mana drops.
mutator

Post by mutator »

how do you activate the upgrade that allows you to fire ironblast 3 times before reloading? i cant find it in shop menu
DemonbaneSol

Post by DemonbaneSol »

It's one of the artifacts you have to find. I don't know if you can get it in any way other than through boss chests, but once you have it, you can't deactivate it, in case you were wondering.
ate0ate

Post by ate0ate »

Sorry if this has been asked, quite a long thread to dig through. Is there a link for the prior version of Guncaster around somewhere? I found some addons I'd love to try out but they're obviously not 3.0 compatible.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

ate0ate wrote:Is there a link for the prior version of Guncaster around somewhere?
http://www.mediafire.com/file/9fqgt4fl4 ... 8.pk3/file
Dinosaur_Nerd
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

I think I've found a repeatable way to produce the viewbob glitch with the climbing bug, it occurs reliably every time when climbing a moving lift (climbing moving lifts is SUPER awesome and cool btw, bravo to you guys!). The viewbob is restored upon performing the linetrace check, climbing does not need to be initiated to restore viewbob.

here's a vidya of the 100% reproducible way to trigger the bug. (if you have difficulty triggering it on this particular lift in doom2, try reducing the jumpZ to something like... 7.5 or 8.5 to give the actual climbing script a chance to initiate, the 14 jumpz is hard to catch it at just the right time unless it's a bit of a taller lift.)
Spoiler:
Also here's a video showing some weird sprite behavior.
Spoiler:
should be just a trivial offset adjustment to fix it I think.
ate0ate

Post by ate0ate »

Rowsol wrote:
ate0ate wrote:Is there a link for the prior version of Guncaster around somewhere?
http://www.mediafire.com/file/9fqgt4fl4 ... 8.pk3/file
Wow, thanks! Very much appreciated. :D
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Dinosaur_Nerd wrote:Climb bug
Fixed for next update. I didn't think about including a case for if the player touches ground before the ledge climb routine believes it is finished.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

PillowBlaster wrote:
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:Also, did a bit more tests and found other that both green and blue Firespit do NOT set enemies on fire on ANY of the given difficulties. Did quite a long experiments on my side on summoned guinea pigs and none of them did set on fire, not on single difficulty settings... :( So this is possible not related to "nopain" issue.
I am not adding separate damagetypes and pain states across all the monsters with appropiate damage cuts and new afflictors just for this. They do pretty ridiculous damage as-is when you can sneeze a baron down in two-three shots (one if you have the core upgrade).
Aww, that's kinda sad.. :c Not that I want every attack to have special effect on monsters, including all of dreadful attacks, just that Firespit would save it's fire damagetype to not lose it's flaming uniqueness. I always view the ability of the Magic to apply special effect unto monsters with constant DOT damage (even if low) to be the unique niche of your mod that I NEVER seen in any other, but it's your mod, I guess...

However, I found another few gamebreaking bugs so far.

1) When you try to use Firespit spell while holding fists, but you are out of mana to do so, you permamently unable to use firespit at all even when you get enough and beyond mana for that, you could not even use other spells while still holding fists when switching to different spells and having full mana for them. In fact, you can't fire both spells AND using melee at all. This only can be fixed if you switch to another weapon and back to fists. Tested it with other spells and guns, but it seems appears ONLY if you have fists AND firespit. This end up me getting killed a few times.
Found in: default heretic maps, e1m1 - e1m2, ultra-violence setting.

2) When using corpseblast, the random red spirits sometimes fly in same direction as you or hit wall near you, resulting turning you in to pile of steaming blood corpses yourself, even if you have full hp and armor. This end up getting me killed a few times too. Not sure if these could damage player in previous version, but like all spells they should not harm the player and thus it needs to be fixed as well.
2.5) The corpses itself when exploded by the spell cause plently of damage themselves, not just spirits. I pretty much believe that it never did happen before, especially back in time when the spell used to explode corpses around the player itself rather than ball. The corpse explosion doesn't always hurt the player, but it happens often, idk why. After getting killed numerous times both by exploding corpses AND spirits on absolutely random, I decided to never use it again if I want to live. Corpeeblast seems to be the only spell that damages the player, so I doubt it is intended as it's unbearably annoying getting damaged/killed on random and thus it definitely needs to be fixed.
Found in: same as above, default heretic maps, e1m3 - e1m4, ultra-violence difficulty.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”