The Guncaster - 3.888b

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dinosaur_Nerd
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: The Guncaster - 3.1

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

WolfMann wrote:Sooo.... I downloaded this mod with great hopes.... and got the same blood problem.
BUT (and it's a big but) I have noticed that the blood mod is on......... just toned down by a fuckton or only shows up if the enemy blows up to smitherens.
Anyway, I'll return to my bloodless game. ;-;

Edit: I am not hating on this game. THIS GAME IS the very definition of badassery all packed in less than 100 megabytes.
Also the Hello my Baby thing cracked me up.
Can you be a little more specific on the whole "blood problem" thing you mentioned? Please also let us know exactly what other mods you are running with this?
WolfMann

Post by WolfMann »

The only other mods I am running with Guncaster is Maps of Chaos and the DoomTestMap for testing stuff. In that order.

And the blood problem is as follows.

You know those amazingly fantastic (if you like gore) puffs of blood and blood pools that appear in Guncaster? Like those in ICARUS's or Martinos'z videos? Yeah, I have none of those... or do but toned down to 0.0000001. The mod works weird for me.

Edit: Just played Guncaster Vindicated.... And suddenly the blood stuff is back....
Edit 2: Only on Imps and even then only here and there....
Edit 3:And now it has turned off all together. Mods confuse me.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

The BFG nuke strat is killing me sometimes. Load up Sunlust, idkfa, buy strat, shoot the door in front of you. You'll be fine.
Now warp to map18 and do it. Now it kills you. /shrug. Tested with gzdoom 3.5 and GC 3.1.

Wolfmann, download the newest gzdoom and install to a new folder. Load it up to create a new .ini. Get the basic controls set up. Exit game. Load GC with it now. Check the Dragons menu to make sure gore is turned on, it should be by default. Now blow up a zombieman. It should work fine.
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

Rowsol wrote:The BFG nuke strat is killing me sometimes. Load up Sunlust, idkfa, buy strat, shoot the door in front of you. You'll be fine.
Now warp to map18 and do it. Now it kills you. /shrug. Tested with gzdoom 3.5 and GC 3.1.
killing voodoo dolls throught walls?
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Ahh, good thinking. Yeah, probably. I wonder if there's a fix for this.

Okay, so apparently they are just copies of you, so setting damagefactor to 0 for tiberium works.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

WolfMann wrote:The only other mods I am running with Guncaster is Maps of Chaos and the DoomTestMap for testing stuff. In that order.

And the blood problem is as follows.

You know those amazingly fantastic (if you like gore) puffs of blood and blood pools that appear in Guncaster? Like those in ICARUS's or Martinos'z videos? Yeah, I have none of those... or do but toned down to 0.0000001. The mod works weird for me.

Edit: Just played Guncaster Vindicated.... And suddenly the blood stuff is back....
Hm... Maps of chaos and the test map shouldn't do anything to change blood.

Guncaster Vindicated uses the same blood as Guncaster Official
Here is a video comparison of the two in DOOM2 map01 with a fresh copy of GZDoom 3.4.1:
Spoiler:
To my eye there really isn't much difference, only a tiny bit and that might just be because of slightly higher monster health in Vindicated, so they're able to trigger more blood from the Longhorn (as it technically hits them multiple times in the same instant). There really shouldn't be any difference at all when comparing high health monsters like the fat guys.
Wolfmann, download the newest gzdoom and install to a new folder. Load it up to create a new .ini. Get the basic controls set up. Exit game. Load GC with it now. Check the Dragons menu to make sure gore is turned on, it should be by default. Now blow up a zombieman. It should work fine.
Do this, it will likely solve your problem, I'd recommend 3.4.1 for now, but you can use 3.5.0 if you're willing to work around the issues mentioned in the spoiler or use the dev build to work around this and that.

P.S. Thanks for giving Vindicated a shot! If you like it let me know what you think in the thread for the mod.
WolfMann

Post by WolfMann »

I did it with 3.5.0 and nope. Blood's still barely a spurt from an empty ketchup bottle. Didn't have any mods other than Guncaster/ Guncaster Vindicated.

Say.... Was there a reduction in weapon damage in the other versions?
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Roswol, just override the player's DamageMobj function. Have it so that it returns 0 if it's being damaged by checking if the player pawn receiving damage is the same one you're manipulating.

Code: Select all

Override Int DamageMobj(Actor Inflictor, Actor Source, Int Damage, Name Mod, Int Flags, Double Angle)
{
    PlayerInfo Player = Self.Player; //[DoomKrakken]: Since this is done in the player pawn's definition, we can fetch this specific player's info from this player pawn.
    If (Player && Player.Mo && Player.Mo != Self) //[DoomKrakken]: Check if the "Player" variable was successfully created, if there exists a player pawn associated with this player, and if this player pawn is not the player pawn you're manipulating (meaning it's a Voodoo Doll).
    {
        Return 0; //[DoomKrakken]: Don't even bother returning the rest of the info.  Have it return 0 without going through all the other motions.
    }
    Return Super.DamageMobj(Inflictor, Source, Damage, Mod, Flags, Angle);  //[DoomKrakken]: If the above wasn't true, then make sure to have the player pawn handle damage normally, by having its parent call DamageMobj, with the same exact pointers.  Else, you'll get a "return type mismatch" error.
}

No need to use hacks when you can just bypass Voodoo Doll damage entirely. :D
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Excuse me for asking this, but... can someone please help me get the bird spell from 2.6 version in to 3.1 (last) version to work?? Just copy-pasting the code from old version to new one result in to birds losing their shadow-ghostly visual mode and ability... how do I say this... illusional-trace-doublecation effect(?). While this is just visual aspect, it still bugs me a lot. And the reason I want birds from 2.6 is because new birds just doesn't feel useful\powerful enough.

I can upload full 2.6 guncaster file once I find it, in case nobody has copy of it left anywhere.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Thunderstruck Tomed seems to cause the game to crash when it tries to cast without enough mana (This was already mentioned yea... but there's something else!!! I think there's an ACS script that's missing.)

This code begins on /Decorate/Spells/Thunderstruck.txt Line 740 and ends on line 772
Spoiler:
EDIT:
PillowBlaster wrote:The delay is not a good fix, as if I remember right - it would start shooting stupidly rapid instead, as it'd never resets the delay tokens.
CURSES!!! back to the drawing board....
Last edited by Dinosaur_Nerd on Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

WolfMann wrote:I did it with 3.5.0 and nope. Blood's still barely a spurt from an empty ketchup bottle. Didn't have any mods other than Guncaster/ Guncaster Vindicated.

Say.... Was there a reduction in weapon damage in the other versions?
There is indeed a problem... I just found it, sorry for confusing you.

I'll report what the actual issue is to the devs. I'll leave it up to them whether they want to bother with this insanity or not. As far as Vindicated goes, I'll try to have it fixed by the next update unless it causes serious issues that jack with the gameplay experience I'm trying to provide.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

I dunno about the gore, but I did fix the thunderstruck a while ago; Rowsol reported that via PMs and I couldn't nail it down, but I snooped around long enough to find it. Didn't think about running out of mana, I thought it had to be the projectile doing it. ACS call wouldn't freeze the game, I simply forgot to wipe that check out. The delay is not a good fix, as if I remember right - it would start shooting stupidly rapid instead, as it'd never resets the delay tokens.
Midnight_King

Post by Midnight_King »

I remember the gore thing also being an issue in the recent Brutal Doom and Ketchup mods. Someone uploaded a fix called Ketchup5r. Maybe if you can find that you can compare code and fix the gore issue.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

I know that in the 3.1 version of Guncaster's changelog PillowBlaster said Annihilation is now fixed and invisible bfg's rays (or however you call them) finally do damage, but... I hardly ever manage to see that they actually hit anyone, even if the enemy is direcly infront of me. I did a few tests and there are extremely rare occassions when I actually hit anyone with invisible bfg rays and they usually tend to do tiny amount of damage toward enemy that only push them slightly tiny bit and only rarely kill a single imp, yet often it seems that they got kille from splash damage itself. In 3.0 version of guncaster, when I stand next to an enemy and the Annihilation ball hit a wall infront of me, I see a huge amount of rays hitting the enemy, doing zero daamge. But in 3.1 version, when I do EXACTLY the same test, I don't even manage to hit enemy once with any of the rays. How exactly do they work? I suppose the original invisible bfg rays came directly from the player itself in the direction you shoot the ball, and I'd expect it'd do the same in Guncaster, at least I hella wish the rays came from the player itself rather than ball or anything else. I REALLY love these invisible bfg rays from Annihilation spell anyway, the mechanic itself is very appealing and beautiful even though it hardly ever hit anyone in current version and in previous version it didn't do damage at all.

Also, I feel like ass for reporting this bug, but enhanced Sheepshield sometimes bugs out... There are rare occassions where reflected enemies' projectile just stuck in aim and you can't do anything about it, yet when you run over that projectile, it will damage you. I guess you can prevent it by turning any incoming projectiles in to empowered grey projectiles once they get reflected, like what do you get when you use draugh ghost mode with maximum Traveler's Journal, but I guess it's not necessary as this happens rarely on very random occassions. It's not a big deal, really. But I just wanted to be useful and report it anyway. Plz don't remove the ability of supersheeps to reflect all projectiles back to enemies. ; ;
Scottvrakis

Post by Scottvrakis »

Christ alive this mod is just the epitome of "We should've stopped a long time ago but fuck it let's keep going and see where it gets us" huh? Good shit.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”