The Guncaster - 3.888b

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tesculpture

Re: The Guncaster - 3.1

Post by Tesculpture »

On the contrary; the Longhorn Strat is one of my favourite things about the new version. Those bouncy homing chain-lightning shots are great for flying foes and hordes of lesser enemies, and are far more useful than the clunky hammer-fanning-piercing-shot thing the Longhorn had before. Since I generally only fire one shot at a time when using the Longhorn, and there are other attacks that already offer reliable, rapid fire damage, a ROF increase wouldn't be very useful.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

I'd rather hear about improving the current strats or tweaking them with what's already in than replacing them with far, far more boring stuff. I don't think I can do much about Pulverizer as everyone says it's weak and I already buffed it, changed the firing sound, you name it. Been thinking about making the lead ball follow your aim vertically, but with the current code that's in for like, growing the ball and all that jazz - it would be a nightmare to do so without having to rewrite whole damn thing. I'm afraid I'd have to replace the entire weapon to do something about that.

And for the record, I did tweak the Longhorn's strat on my side as it is indeed a tad weak - it used to be "waaay too good" before release, I guess I nerfed it a tad too much.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Dinosaur_Nerd wrote:I have a heretic secret that I wanted to share with you folks, hope you enjoy!

Spoiler:
john190 wrote:I guess I cant get Bishop from commands.
I hope it doesn't alter any of the balance\features of the Guncaster itself? The link of the video directly track me to your version of Guncaster, and I haven't found any separated links of the "mutator" in that thread, which is the primary reason why I'm asking it here. If everything fails, I'd rather play vanila Guncaster with hard doom lite version, since I prefer the currect balance of the game of vanila Guncaster.
Valherran wrote:1. Longhorn Strat - It's nearly useless. I have played many games in many different maps and I just can't find a use for it. It's clunky, does little damage, and slow to use which breaks the momentum of the game. Any form of replacement would be so much better. My vote would be to simply give the Longhorn a ROF passive of +50-100%.
What the hell are you talking about?! The longhorn strat is probably the most juicy one of them all now! The lightning can kill hell knight in one hit and then bounce to everyone else, basically clearing the whole map for you! Hell, it can even kill cyberdemon in one shot sometimes, since after it bounces of him, it can just spin around and hit him twice, and even if it doesn't kill him, it still have chance to zap him in beautiful affliction aftereffect for some time that also cause slight DoT and stun for short while. It is much better strat than what it was before, and it doesn't break any "momentum" as it's rather quick charge is very well compensated for it's unique, awesome and interesting fire mode. I'd certainly don't want it to go away. If you want fast firemode with "momentum" of the game, just use autoshotty with stat, it's like AA12 on methamphetamine and no reload. Although I'd love to have a chainlightning spell like of Psychic.
Valherran wrote:2. Pulverizer and Its Strat - The weapon itself is OK at best, but it is quickly out-shined by other guns and spells once you find them. The Strat for this weapon is... Underwhelming. It can only be used effectively on equal level ground, and the damage this thing outputs, I can do better in greater time and efficiency with minimal effort. If the strat were replaced with something new, it would be better. My vote would be to give it explosive rounds, giving it more damage and splash damage.
It's a beginner's weapon and you'd still use it even when you find all of weapons and spells because 1) it's best to deal with hordes of enemies, stunning almost a guaranteed against the enemy you're using it, dealing decent damage, making it one of the best horde conrol without much to waste. 2) it's the best and cheapest way to get crapton of gold on loadsaemoney mode since it cause bleed more than any other weapon in the game, getting fast gold effecient and deserved way. 3) it also pretty much destroy all projectiles in the game that coming your way with it's artifact.

The Strat is one of the best in game, but often misused and misunderstood by people like icarus in his review. The ball while you're still holding it even though it reached it's maximum size, can be used to pretty much down down everything in matter of seconds, including baron of hell type of enemies, and go through them on full speel like it's nothing. In addition to that, the bullets firing from the ball itself while you holding it, giving additional support to killing nearby weak enemies as extra feature of the ball. Then launching ability of it, it just mows everything on it's way, does great damage and ingnoring collision with enemies, even cyberdemon, which makes it like Serious Sam cannon but greatly enhanced. The only my complaint about it is that on toaster mode the ball seems to get rid of it's bullets spaming in all directious when you hold the ball on maximum size, and that is kinda sad... :(

If we just make it overpowered minigun with explosive rounds, I doubt anyone would use shotguns, spells or even rockets ever again. Isn't that will make it a little bit russian overkill clone, as well?
PillowBlaster wrote:I'd rather hear about improving the current strats or tweaking them with what's already in than replacing them with far, far more boring stuff. I don't think I can do much about Pulverizer as everyone says it's weak and I already buffed it, changed the firing sound, you name it. Been thinking about making the lead ball follow your aim vertically, but with the current code that's in for like, growing the ball and all that jazz - it would be a nightmare to do so without having to rewrite whole damn thing. I'm afraid I'd have to replace the entire weapon to do something about that.

And for the record, I did tweak the Longhorn's strat on my side as it is indeed a tad weak - it used to be "waaay too good" before release, I guess I nerfed it a tad too much.
I believe the ball is great, nothing need to be changed about it. The only thing I would want about it is that the toaster mode would still save it's bullets spreading all around the ball while you holding it.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Longhorn is bae. :D

Fires powerful bullets that'll destroy Pinkies in 2 shots, or Revenants in 3-4 shots. And then the STRAT is super bae. The bullet whizzes around the room clearing any and all cannon fodder in a matter of seconds. Spamming with it will do the same to much larger foes. :D

The best part? I could aim... but with this thing, I don't have to! ;)

I have an influx of problems to report, and a few suggestions to suggest, coming soon. But I had to give my two cents about the Longhorn and its Strat.
Dinosaur_Nerd
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:
Spoiler:
I hope it doesn't alter any of the balance\features of the Guncaster itself? The link of the video directly track me to your version of Guncaster, and I haven't found any separated links of the "mutator" in that thread, which is the primary reason why I'm asking it here. If everything fails, I'd rather play vanila Guncaster with hard doom lite version, since I prefer the currect balance of the game of vanila Guncaster.
I don't know how it ended up linking to the wrong page, I must just be losing my mind. It's fixed, sorry for the failure, the link will now go to the appropriate page.

This mutator doesn't change the way Guncaster works at all. It just changes the heretic monsters.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

I'd like to chime in on the strats.

I like the longhorn. The mana cost makes sense. The damage seems good to me, if wildly luck dependant. Sometimes you aim at a guy and gzdoom believes someone else deserves to die instead, never liked auto aim. Unless I'm mistaken as I don't use it too often, I believe the bolt seeks enemies. Maybe have it seek after it's first impact/bounce so it goes where I point it. The damage it deals is also luck, which I'm fine with. Sometimes you'll shoot a revenant and he'll live, sometimes you'll kill multiple cacos in a single shot, stunning the ones that don't die, only to die to the shock. The only thing I would buff would be the prime time, the delay is what keeps it from greatness. The fact that it takes 2 ammo is a bit odd, but no matter, this mod could use more ammo dumps anyway.

Strucker is obviously great, RoF is always a good thing, 'boring' as it may be.

Ironblast has to be the best one. No need to elaborate on this one.

Pulverizer is the worst and I never use it due to one single fact. It's most effective if you hold the fire button down and just melee the monsters with the ball. Holding down a mouse button for an extended period is a deal breaker for me. I have a nice mouse and I'd like the buttons to last as long as possible (It's not even a year old and already double clicking on occasion [g403]). If the gun charged the ball with a click and fired it with another click this wouldn't be an issue. I don't like the opacity of the ball but it's a necessary evil. I've thought on multiple occasions on how this strat could be improved in its current state and I can't come up with anything. I love the imagination in the decision of it, much more unique than just a passive buff and it reminds me of the rock attack in RO with the bat.

Matriarch is a meh for me. I like the behavior of the missles. Seeking and bouncing? Yes please. What I don't like was just referenced, you have to hold the fire button down to prime it. I also preferred the old method where it shot in a full auto fashion instead of all the missiles coming out at once. It doesn't feel right, not to mention having them all explode at the same time creates big time lag spikes. It's certainly buffed from the prior version but when picking between the default 'instant shot, you're dead' vs 'wait a bit and you're really dead' I choose the former. As a way to improve it's usefulness? Outside of slaughtermaps where it shines, I don't know of a way.

Auger's strat is great (love the perfect dark throwback) but I never use it because it feels like cheating, and this is coming from someone who cheats on the regular. I won't personally ever use it but to say it should be modified would be bogus, especially after what I assume was a long time coding. If someone wants to kill guys from the other room that's their choice.

BFG strat is OP, as one might expect from the cost of buying it. This feels like the 'yamoto' gun's alt fire or the Hindenburg in RO, use once, beat the map. Might as well not even play the game then.

Dynamite strat is great but it could use a mana nerf. 75 is asking a lot. I got nothin else on this one, it tears bosses a new one.

I guess that's it. Now my sleep meds are kicking in and it's bedtime. Judging from your recent RO videos I expect that's the next mod to see an update so I look forward to that. In the meantime, stay cool.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

I can't seem to understand how people seem to underappreciate the pulverizer's strat attack. Imho it's one of the best, after longhorn. It seems that a lot of people rather misuse or misinformed of it's true potential. The ball when launched pierces through all enemies, doing massive total damage toward hordes and killing everything, cutting like hot blade through butters, doing extra damage with bullets spreading all around it and final explosion damage. But most importantly, it can be used as wrecking ball buzzsaw that just kills everything as you move, and I can't say for sure, but the ball also seem to block all the incoming projectiles too (or I just kill enemies faster than I can look at it).

Sure it's not as momental as some of the other things (which is why it's so great and smooth at the same time), but who said that in a mod with ability to vield guns and charging\casting spells, (and every of these weapon and spells trying to be interesting, fun and original) everything has to be momental and "fast paced"? The ball as "fast paced" as it only can be, since it's the only thing in game that stick directly to player and moving with exactly same speed as you, mowing down pretty much everything almost instantly with hardly any waste of the ammo, and on top of that you can launch deadly cannon of mass extermination at any point in time you want. Smooth charging mode by holding m1, instant release without delay when releasing the button, bouncing all around walls, roof, floor like beachball of mass destruction and cannon ball that shoots bullets in all directions, damaging anything that it hits, what's not to like? My decision, it's perfect as it is.
Fureyon

Post by Fureyon »

I agree that the pulverizer's stratocaster is kinda weak. Even more so when we consider the splittershield exists. Being able to block projectiles whilst dealing damage and using your off-hand is awesome.

While it does chew through hordes of enemies, it has to be "primed" for a bit too long. If the ball got bigger faster it would be much better IMO. As it is I mostly use this to shoot around corners, otherwise I barely use it.
UTNerd24

Post by UTNerd24 »

This has been bugging me for a little bit so I had to ask to get it off my chest. Is it just me or is the lighting slightly different in Guncaster? I also recall Brutal Doom having different looking lights as well.
doommarine654

Post by doommarine654 »

i absolutely love this mod and i mean it the whole thing is awesome top to bottom.

things i could recommend to change?

i know it would take a lot of work but id say rework the pulverizer strat into a huge bullet hose. give it 4 rotating barrels that uses 4 times the ammunition, give it a slow wind up time with heavier hitting rounds with half the fire rate.

if you still wanted to keep the rolling ball of justice (because it is good i just dont like it when it detonates on impact of an enemy.) id say let it pass through enemies and have it rake in a ton of damage if it happens to pass through them. (dont even know if thats some thing you can code in or not.)

also with the release of the new standalone gore mod will you be updating the gore mechanics? granted we can apply it ourselves but it has a odd tendency to double kill enemies and when you can double kill cyber demons because it spawns another dying entity of that mob it will drop 2 chests kinda fast tracking the progress.

keep up the good work bud!
AL-97

Post by AL-97 »

Congratulations on winning this year's Cacoward! It really shows with all the awesome updates, with its attention to details, with its numerous guns and spells and its enduring nature that Guncaster is a real labour love! Cheers on the well deserved award!
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

congratulations mr.explosion
you can destroy everything now
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

And remember kids - you've all got the Touch!
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Congrats guys, you definitely earned it!
erni945

Post by erni945 »

Congratulations Pillow, I always knew that you owe this reward :D

Return to “Gameplay Mods”