The Guncaster - 3.888b

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Yholl

Re: The Guncaster - 3.1

Post by Yholl »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:That's very inconvenient and harmful to you
Yeah I remember back in '09, I was carrying a bunch of rockets around my house, could probably have carried one more though. Then I accidentally touched a gigantic ballpit full of rockets, and, sensing my weakness, they all swarmed in and replaced my atoms, killing me instantly.
Or, more likely, it will not inconvenience or harm you, especially with the amount of ammo you get in Guncaster.
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:you're actually saying that it's ok to waste 100 ammo box and get just 1 ammo out of it just because you accidently pick up backpack
Yes.
You have thousands of bullets you aren't even using in that screenshot, hundreds of other ammo types too. You weren't using those bullets then, you certainly weren't going to be using those 99 extra bullets you could've had either. In the long run, it's not going to matter at all.
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:Then how exactly should I write a "paragraphs"? How exactly just a 5 lines are "paragraphs" anyway? For someone who is not native english speaker and someone who is eager to deliberaly eleborate my thought, I'm already trying my hardest to eleborate things clear enough for everyone to understand.
Well, you elaborate far too much. A better way of writing that might be something like this:

When you pickup backpacks, the amount of ammo it gives you is slightly less than the amount it increases your ammo capacity, leaving you just below max and prone to wasting large ammo pickups nearby. Would it be possible to have the ammo given match the increase to the ammo capacity?

Plus stuff like
I lack of at least 1 ammo lack of when I pick
is basically unreadable, heh.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Yholl wrote:
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:That's very inconvenient and harmful to you
Yeah I remember back in '09, I was carrying a bunch of rockets around my house, could probably have carried one more though. Then I accidentally touched a gigantic ballpit full of rockets, and, sensing my weakness, they all swarmed in and replaced my atoms, killing me instantly.
Yeah exactly, like WTF? LOTS of good ammunition just vanish in to nonexistance.
Yholl wrote:Or, more likely, it will not inconvenience or harm you, especially with the amount of ammo you get in Guncaster.
Bollocks. Some mappacks/megawads/iwads are very low on ammo, or low on ammo except of boring lame shells that aren't fun to use to begin with.
Yholl wrote:
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:you're actually saying that it's ok to waste 100 ammo box and get just 1 ammo out of it just because you accidently pick up backpack
Yes.
You have thousands of bullets you aren't even using in that screenshot, hundreds of other ammo types too. You weren't using those bullets then, you certainly weren't going to be using those 99 extra bullets you could've had either. In the long run, it's not going to matter at all.
You do realize that it's Heretic, right? In fact, I've beaten heretic on android on all levels, from first episode to sixth episode (hidden levels) and even with it's excessive amount of backpacks, I barely could get up to 70 tnt total. The reason why do I even have this crapton of ammo is because I had summoned ovrr a hundred backpacks for test purposes. You won't have much ofammo if you'd play, say, plutonia, as there were crapton of shells but not much of anything else.
Yholl wrote:
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:Then how exactly should I write a "paragraphs"? How exactly just a 5 lines are "paragraphs" anyway? For someone who is not native english speaker and someone who is eager to deliberaly eleborate my thought, I'm already trying my hardest to eleborate things clear enough for everyone to understand.
Well, you elaborate far too much. A better way of writing that might be something like this:

When you pickup backpacks, the amount of ammo it gives you is slightly less than the amount it increases your ammo capacity, leaving you just below max and prone to wasting large ammo pickups nearby. Would it be possible to have the ammo given match the increase to the ammo capacity?
Then you should have just started with this instead of bullying me for not being native english speaker, since you already got it correct.
Yholl wrote:Plus stuff like
I lack of at least 1 ammo lack of when I pick
is basically unreadable, heh.
Lies. I can read it and understand it just fine.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

He is not bullying you but provides an example where you are doing something wrong. I personally asked Yholl to decipher your post for me because that's a humanly incomprehensible word salad. Take note that I am no native speaker, either.

And what you point out is the map's ammo distribution, which you have to accomodate for as a player - not the mod's problem.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Then you should have just started with this instead of bullying me for not being native english speaker, since you already got it correct.
That is not bullying. Don't pretend to be a victim when all anybody's doing is trying to figure out what you're even saying.

(also a paragraph can technically be as short as one sentence; this is a paragraph.)
The_Notorious_KEK

Post by The_Notorious_KEK »

this mod is amazing

any plans for the future?
MaxRideWizardLord

PillowBlaster wrote:He is not bullying you but provides an example where you are doing something wrong. I personally asked Yholl to decipher your post for me because that's a humanly incomprehensible word salad. Take note that I am no native speaker, either.
Pointing out at the problem (or what I'm doing something wrong) is not a solution of it either, as I've mentioned earlier, I'm already trying my hardest to speak it in a manner for everyone to understand, and speak non-narrative speech but rather eleborative one is my weakness. That's why I just use examples for better explanation.

And just becasue one both of us are not native english speaker, that doesn't mean we are in same condition to so speak, since each language can be more deviated than english than the other's person one, and since english isn't my second either language as I've studied german as foreign language, so I bet learning polish would be much easier for me than learning english. I do even now tend to use color fonts for easier to you to see what kind of topic I am talking about.

But all that is aside. I'm sorry if I caused some misunderstanding or opacity. I just hope you get me correct on all of the topic regarding the issues\bugs that I've recently gave feedback about, including Annihilation spell, Sheepshield spell, weird TNT blue fire visual distortion and abovementioned backpack.
wildweasel wrote:
That is not bullying. Don't pretend to be a victim when all anybody's doing is trying to figure out what you're even saying.
Telling me to stop writing paragraphs like "that" without give me proper guide of "writing a paragraph" right after that and saying that my best attempts to share a thought is "unreadable" is at least rude, and is insulting by a fact, so there isn't any "victimisation". He isn't provide any lessons how to conjugate or adjust my text, which is why I asked "how exactly should I write it" without making it lose the chain-of-thought.

If anyone is having problem with figuring out what I'm trying to say, they should just ask me "can you please rephrase it? I have trouble understanding", which I would give my second attempt. That's why I said that he should have started with the "fixed" version to begin with, since at least has some educational value rather than just blaming note. I've learned english through actually having online chatting rather than took professional classes.
PillowBlaster wrote:And what you point out is the map's ammo distribution, which you have to accomodate for as a player - not the mod's problem.
Excuse me? I'm not exactly understanding what you're trying to say here. What I am trying to say is, when you pick up backpack once and it increases your maximum capacity 100% for each weapon, YET afterwards you get yourself full ammo for each weapon, that each time you pick up backpack for the second (and more) time, it increases the maximum capacity of each weapon by 10%, and as Yholl said - when you pickup backpacks, the amount of ammo it gives you is slightly less than the amount it increases your ammo capacity, leaving you just slightly below max with tiny gaps, thus prone to wasting large ammo pickups nearby.

I've tested it both in Heretic and Doom 2, results are same.

The gaps are exactly: augur - 1 bullet, matriarch - 1 bullet, pulverizer - 20 bullets. I doubt it has to do with the map but the backpack itself and the amount of ammo it gives you. Would it be possible to have the ammo given match the increase to the ammo capacity? Namely, just one extra bullet for augur and matriarch, and 20 extra bullets to the pulverizer.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:Telling me to stop writing paragraphs like "that" without give me proper guide of "writing a paragraph" right after that and saying that my best attempts to share a thought is "unreadable" is at least rude, and is insulting by a fact, so there isn't any "victimisation". He isn't provide any lessons how to conjugate or adjust my text, which is why I asked "how exactly should I write it" without making it lose the chain-of-thought.]
Here's the solution you're looking for: keep it simple. Look at everything you've written, and if it doesn't contribute to the point you're making, destroy it.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:Telling me to stop writing paragraphs like "that" without give me proper guide of "writing a paragraph" right after that and saying that my best attempts to share a thought is "unreadable" is at least rude, and is insulting by a fact, so there isn't any "victimisation". He isn't provide any lessons how to conjugate or adjust my text, which is why I asked "how exactly should I write it" without making it lose the chain-of-thought.
I immediately mentioned the main problem your writing has. I then gave an example of a good way to write your question. I also pointed out part of your previous message that could not be understood and did not make sense.

I'm sorry if you think I was trying to "bully you", but all I wanted was to help your writing.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

MaxRideWizardLord:

I've been trying to stay out of this, but it's getting to a point where I have to comment.

These people ARE trying to help you! They're not trying to bully you. Please TRY to understand that - the world isn't out to get you. But if you keep on this unwarranted paranoia or trying to play victim, it's going to cause you a lot more problems here than you really want to deal with. Please - calm down!
KeksDose

Post by KeksDose »

Do this: "If your ammo is maxed out and you get a second backpack, not all weapons will end up with max ammo. Some of them will be off by one bullet." Shortly state what you have, what you do and what ends up happening. Being brief will help your problems with English.

Everything you said, about the issue itself, about large pickups, about capacities, led the three of us to come to three different ideas about what the problem really is.
MaxRideWizardLord

KeksDose wrote:Do this: "If your ammo is maxed out and you get a second backpack, not all weapons will end up with max ammo. Some of them will be off by one bullet." Shortly state what you have, what you do and what ends up happening. Being brief will help your problems with English.

Everything you said, about the issue itself, about large pickups, about capacities, led the three of us to come to three different ideas about what the problem really is.
The problem is, it's not just the "second" backpack, but every backpack after the first one. Wouldn't it be more correct to say "every subsequent backpack after the first one" ? The situation is rather comples and the issue is hard enough to eleborate it "briefly", so I did my best.

But I hope you do get what I was trying to say?? I believe my eleboration with Annihilation and Sheepshield bugs\issues end up in to a bigger "paragraphs". If I still caused some misunderstanding, just ask me to rephrase them.
KeksDose

Post by KeksDose »

It's the same issue repeated, so you can state what you see either way. If you think it's a bad design decision, point it out, but separate these ideas clearly. We'll handle the rest.

We're not upset with a bit of elaboration, but you mashing the issue together with your concerns in a text block that was clearly not proofread ("I lack of at least 1 ammo lack of when I pick backpack"). It messes up how it's basically just pillow passing issues to whoever it may concern in the team.

If you could structure your posts better, by pressing enter two or three more times, and having a clear, separated indication of what you see and how it affects your gameplay, there'd be no problem for us. Try not to stress your experience, too, as it's what made us think you want us to accommodate for strange map design.

We're looking into it, nonetheless.
john190

Post by john190 »

I guess I cant get Bishop from commands.
Dinosaur_Nerd
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

I have a heretic secret that I wanted to share with you folks, hope you enjoy!

Spoiler:
john190 wrote:I guess I cant get Bishop from commands.
Use this command to get the item

Code: Select all

give powersuititem
Then use that item.
You will have powersuit
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

After a few mentions, opinions, and feedbacks, there is something I'd like to address about default GunCaster.

The Stratocasters for Longhorn and Pulverizer, and the Pulverizer itself.

1. Longhorn Strat - It's nearly useless. I have played many games in many different maps and I just can't find a use for it. It's clunky, does little damage, and slow to use which breaks the momentum of the game. Any form of replacement would be so much better. My vote would be to simply give the Longhorn a ROF passive of +50-100%.

2. Pulverizer and Its Strat - The weapon itself is OK at best, but it is quickly out-shined by other guns and spells once you find them. The Strat for this weapon is... Underwhelming. It can only be used effectively on equal level ground, and the damage this thing outputs, I can do better in greater time and efficiency with minimal effort. If the strat were replaced with something new, it would be better. My vote would be to give it explosive rounds, giving it more damage and splash damage.

Don't know if or when it will ever be changed, but this is my 2 cents from a GunCaster veteran.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”