The Guncaster - 3.888b

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DoomKrakken

Re: The Guncaster - 3.1

Post by DoomKrakken »

@PillowBlaster @Dinosaur Nerd

I found the problem with Thunderstruck. And man, was it tricky, but it's one of the oldest rules in the book.
Spoiler:
What happened in the above code is that there were jumps being performed. Here's the kicker: if a jump is successfully performed from a state, it WILL ignore the current state's tic delay.

Remember that in a state, the action(s) get(s) performed first, and THEN the delay kicks in. The delay only denotes how much time must pass before the actor moves on to its next state.

What made this bug so easy to miss was that this "rule" was pretty much understood and not explicitly stated.

Therefore, I suggest moving that jump code outside of the one state where all of that other stuff was coalesced. Like this:
Spoiler:
This way, we can still have that 1-tic delay necessary for us to continue playing (in freedom from any form of interruption or disturbance). ;)
Josko

Post by Josko »

Hi!

Amazing mod! Love it <3

I just wonder, will there be more GUNS? Since there is so many spells, I would love to have more awesome guns, perhaps a fully Automatic Shotgun like AA12 style, maybe a Sniper Rifle that fires semi-automatic with a 30 round magazine capacity, or a plasma weapon like in vanilla doom that fires very quick, an upgraded minigun tier that is bigger and deadlier would be cool!
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

The Strucker is fully automatic, the Longhorn serves as a sniper rifle, and the Augur is a sniper rifle that serves as a freakin' Gauss Cannon. Plenty of the abilities you have available to you serve as plasma rifle duplicates, but better. And there's no reloading in Guncaster, so why would there need to be a magazine system?

Keep in mind that the guns and their functionality are unique in and of themselves. Each one has its own purpose and functionality. If you want another gun in Guncaster, I would suggest that you should try to think of one that doesn't perform the functions that the other weapons and other abilities already cover.
Josko

Post by Josko »

DoomKrakken wrote:The Strucker is fully automatic, the Longhorn serves as a sniper rifle, and the Augur is a sniper rifle that serves as a freakin' Gauss Cannon. Plenty of the abilities you have available to you serve as plasma rifle duplicates, but better. And there's no reloading in Guncaster, so why would there need to be a magazine system?

Keep in mind that the guns and their functionality are unique in and of themselves. Each one has its own purpose and functionality. If you want another gun in Guncaster, I would suggest that you should try to think of one that doesn't perform the functions that the other weapons and other abilities already cover.
I noticed after that the Strucker is automatic and looks really cool, love it! However it should shoot faster. The thing is, I played the Brutal doom version of Gun caster, and the strucker dosnt seem be in it, it is changed to another shotgun.

But you are right, each has their own purpose and functionality, and there wouldn't need to be a magazine system, just a very accurate Semi-Automatic Sniper rifle that fires bullets I think would be a nice addition, after all the Augur takes a while between the shots, but the minigun feels very weak, it should be bigger and do more damage, then maybe add a assault rifle that is a weaker version or dual SMG's would be cool

EDIT:

So I managed to make the Strucker shoot ALOT faster, but his hand that holds the weapon keeps moving, I don't know why, I want to make it stay still like it does with the original strucker, wierd.
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

if you need a hitscan weapon that doesn't fire painfully slow and is accurate, well, you start with one
it can even zoom in
also the strucker has a rapid fire mode already
Josko

Post by Josko »

comet1337 wrote:if you need a hitscan weapon that doesn't fire painfully slow and is accurate, well, you start with one
it can even zoom in
also the strucker has a rapid fire mode already
LOL im a idiot. I found out that there is a full auto upgrade for it, Tried it, and it's exactly what I wanted!

However it's too cheap, only 7000 Dosh lmao, Tried to find the upgrade with SLADE but I didn't find it sadly :(

The Struckers full auto upgrade should cost much much more, maybe 50k dosh, thats how good it is :D
KeksDose

Post by KeksDose »

Here's a status update for the time being.

The shop is now rewritten in zscript. Aside from some better smoothness, not being bound to 35 fps and lamps gradually lighting up, a noteworthy enhancement is that mods to GC can now add items, shops and shopkeepers, without modifying the base code.

Of course, the behaviour and general presentation remain the same. :p
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

A shame that it needs a patch to work with CH. :P
Clifford21

Post by Clifford21 »

Sorry for asking some potential "noob" questions here regarding gameplay, as I can't find the answers in OP.

1. How do I dual-wield weapons? Does it need specific upgrade / item / power-up?

2. For the ground stomper move, what's the trigger of it? Is it double jump + crouch? or just being in air of a particular height, then press "crouch"? I sometimes can trigger it, but sometimes can't.

3. How do I increase the max. mana pool to be above 100?

4. For spells, is it just better to stick with a few cost-efficient ones s.t. you can switch faster between spells during heat of fight?
Or, every spell has its specific use, e.g. enemies may be modified in this mod s.t. they are completely immune to ice/fire/electric attack?
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

1. use gunzerk, it's a timed powerup you can buy or find.
2. crouch while in the air. you have to have been airborne for at least .42 seconds.
3. buy or find mana syringes.
4. spells are completely up to you, whatever you find fun to use.
Mackery

Post by Mackery »

For some strange reason, I can't kill any monsters with this mod... And strangely enough, monsters can't kill me either. This doesn't seem to apply to regular Doom.
Dinosaur_Nerd
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Mackery wrote:For some strange reason, I can't kill any monsters with this mod... And strangely enough, monsters can't kill me either. This doesn't seem to apply to regular Doom.
Try deleting your .ini file in the folder where gzdoom is located and make sure you try running this mod by itself with no additional mutators to get a base line test.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Aside from the above mentioned issues with Annihilation and Sheepshield spell bugs by me, there is some weird visual bug with the enhanced blue TNT fire.

When I played on android (version 3.5.0 and now 3.5.1) the blue fire looks like this -

Tested it both on 3.5.0 and now on 3.5.1 gzdoom.
Also tested it both in Doom 2 and Heretic, same visual bug.

Extra question regarding backpack, also. When I pick it up, I get increased max ammo for all of the weapons, but it seems that some of these weapons I lack of at least 1 ammo lack of when I pick backpack, like for pulverizer, matriarch and augur. Shouldn't it give enough ammo for the maximum, if before picking it up you already had it maxed? It increases only 10% of your maxmimum capacity anyway. I'd like if each time you pick up backpack, you get a little tiny bit more ammo than you do now, so just when you pick up backpack while you're full of ammo for each of the weapon, you wouldn't have one extra slot left for the ammo pickup, so you won't accidently pickup the whole augur weapon that has crapton of ammo by itself, just because you have pick up backpack next\near to it while having full ammo for it, and now lacking of just one bullet for you to have full ammo.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:backpack ammo stuff
bullets are for shooting with gnu
not for collect

If you have that much ammo, what does it matter if you pickup more than you can hold? You aren't even using them all anyway.

Also could you not write paragraphs like that please? That was so difficult to work out what you were even talking about, and I'm still not sure I understood correctly. It might help if you simply stated issues concisely.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Yholl wrote:
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:backpack ammo stuff
bullets are for shooting with gnu
not for collect
That's incorrect actually, backpacks are exist for collecting and carring stuff with you.
Yholl wrote:If you have that much ammo, what does it matter if you pickup more than you can hold? You aren't even using them all anyway.
It's actually the other way around, you get less ammo than max ammo increase. For example if you have 300\300 ammo, you pickup backpack and you end up having 309\310, i.e. 310 max ammo limit and 309 of actual ammo. That's very inconvenient and harmful to you, since if you pick up backpack, you would lack of just ONE freaking ammo to be full, thus end up accidently pickiup up a whole weapon (or huge ammo boxes) that would get you like 50 ammo, but you get just 1 to fulfill the tiny gap. Unless if by "pickup more than you can hold" you're actually saying that it's ok to waste 100 ammo box and get just 1 ammo out of it just because you accidently pick up backpack, then no, that's not ok and that's terrible.
Yholl wrote:Also could you not write paragraphs like that please? That was so difficult to work out what you were even talking about, and I'm still not sure I understood correctly. It might help if you simply stated issues concisely.
Then how exactly should I write a "paragraphs"? How exactly just a 5 lines are "paragraphs" anyway? For someone who is not native english speaker and someone who is eager to deliberaly eleborate my thought, I'm already trying my hardest to eleborate things clear enough for everyone to understand.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”