The Guncaster - 3.888b

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
amv2k9

Re: [Release] The Guncaster - Rock the Dragon... today!

Post by amv2k9 »

Made a diamond sprite with the edges smoothed out a bit.
Suggestions:
-Let the standard spell descriptions stay on screen for a bit longer before bringing up the tomed description, and/or let it alternate between printing the standard and tomed descriptions, and/or add a way to manually flip between them. The "weapon next" & "weapon previous" keys might be the most intuitive ones to use.

Bugs:
-The arrows on either side of the spell/item rings are rendered over the text descriptions.

Speaking of the text descriptions, I spell- and grammar-proofed them. Where possible, I tried to stay true to the original text, but hopefully made the sentences flow better. I put in line breaks to make the lines fit without spilling over onto the spell icons, but some tweaks might be needed.

Code: Select all

Standard Spell Descriptions
"A timeless classic! Standard fire-flinging\ngoodness. it launches a flaming skull\nthat incinerates stuff.",
"Bouncy ice bomb that goes through enemies\nand spits a lot of shards around. when\nfired at the ground, it makes for an\neffective choke point blocker.",
"Send your enemies up into the wild blue\nyonder! it keeps them levitating for a\nshort time, turning them into sitting ducks.\nit also scares them off, making them\nrun away if they can and overall, attack\nless freqently.",
"Lob a handful of acid into a monster's\nface! While the acid doesn't do too much\ndamage by itself, it increases the damage a\nmonster will recieve from your weapons \nand if you do manage to deal the death \nblow to an enemy with it, it makes them\npop gruesomely on death, hence the name.\nit makes short work of armoured targets.",
"Bizzare, scary and cruel spell! send\nflocks of ravens to eat those poor suckers\naround you! great at dispatching large\ngroups of pesky, weak enemies.",
"A powerful, albeit tricky-to-use spell.\nCalls fierce lightning down from the sky.\nthe best part? It works in-doors. it's\nsometimes a bit hard to hit things with it,\nhowever.",
"This one enables you to spit insanely\npowerful flames. I'd advise you to first\nincrease your mana capacity in order to use\nit effectively, as it will drain it very\nquickly.",
"A bizzare fruit of necromantic magic\nresearch. Rigs dead enemies around you into\nbombs. The explosion power depends on the\nmonster, and it works only on living, non-\nmagical enemies.",
"Summons a storm of ethereal knives to lay\nwaste to your foes. Useful on large\nenemies and crowds alike, but best used in\nclose quarters due to the limited range of\nthe knives. this spell really shines\nwhile a tome is in effect.",
"If you're looking for a total wipeout,\nthis spell is for you! condenses a major\nchunk of your energy into raw, destructive\npotential. unlike lightning, it's a pure\nenergy; it doesn't benefit from any\nenvironmental effects. tl;dr - huge projectile\nspam.",

Tomed Spell Descriptions
"Tome makes it burst into a volcanic\neruption. When fired at the ground, it turns\ninto a timed mine.",
"Tome turns it into frozen orb. If you\ndon't know what a frozen orb is - shame on\nyou. when the non-tomed spell bounces off\nicy floors, it gains more power with each\nbounce. it also shatters into way more\nshards when it comes in contact with lava.",
"Tome turns it into a megawave of enemy-launching power.",
"Gumpod nova. Enough said.",
"Tome makes the ravens occasionally stay\nbehind on the corpses of the enemies\nthey've killed. Monsters passing by them are\nin for a nasty surprise! initial ravens\nalso have boosted damage.",
"Tome makes you drop spiral-lightning on\ndemand. When lightning bolts are dropped\nonto water, they get supercharged, which\nmakes them deal way more damage. This\nenvrionmental effect happens with the\nstandard, non-tomed version, but damage is\nincreased to a lesser degree.",
"Tome doesn't grant it any special\nadditions. It does decrease mana burn, however.\nit's a whoppingly powerful spell, anyway.",
"Tome grants the user the ability to explode\nthe corpses repeatedly.",
"Tome turns regular knives into those fancy,\njapanese knives, giving them the ability\nto home in on enemies and negate gravity.\nthe most frightening part? it stops\ntime while in use.",
"Tome makes it siphon even more energy than\nbefore, ensuring total devastation on\nimpact... and on the way, too. you might want\nto increase your mana capacity first,\nor stock up on mana potions to be able to use it.",

Item Descriptions
"Powerful self-medical assistance kit.\nwhile it isn't cheap, it comes in handy\nafter heavy firefights.",
"The all-time favourite of crazed magicians\nand warlocks everywhere! boosts your\npowers with varied effects. With some, it\njust amps the power up to eleven, while\nwith others it applies additional effects,\nor gives them different behaviours.",
"grants you the ability to view things in\ndarkness as clear as in daylight.",
"Your standard-issue protection. provides\n75 armor points at a 25% damage\nabsorbtion rate.",
"Slightly more useful than your standard-\nissue armor. provides you with 100 armor\npoints at a 40% damage absorbtion rate.",
"This armor may save you in heavier\nfirefights. it provides you with 200 armor\npoints at a 50% damage absorbtion rate.",
"A exceptionally thick-plated armor. it\nprovides you with a whopping 400 armor\npoints at a 75% damage absorbtion rate!",
"Expensive, but a useful artifact nonetheless;\nit extends your flight\nability temporarily.",
"Your standard energy refill liquid - blue,\ngooey, and far from being tasty. Using\none while your Mana is high enough can\nput it over your current maximum amount.",
"Slightly overpriced, but it isn't easy to\nget this kind of amunnition; it powers\nthe ''Old Dreadful''.",
"Improves energy flow, thus increasing your\nmana regeneration rate.",
"Increases your mana cap by 25, up to 400.",
"Increases your health by 10, up to 200.",
rosfell

Post by rosfell »

I finnally got the oportunnity to play this today and boy it was really fun! Nice work whith the threadcutters by the way...
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

now that is such a wonderful grammar fix-up, wonderful job!
PillowBlaster

Re: [Release] The Guncaster - Straight to Hell!

Post by PillowBlaster »

A.Gamma wrote:1. As Mav3rick once said to me: Get rid of that donkey kick! It makes fighting on ledges unnecessarily difficult.
Define „Donkey Kick”. It works like in Duke, but smoothed out. If you don't want to move during the kick, just don't hold the forward button, and you'll do it in place. Otherwise, enjoy thrusting yourself into nearest pit. :P
A.Gamma wrote:2.Why is lava non-damaging now? It kind of defeats the purpose of adding damaging floors.
Kate wrote:It's actually because the dragondudeguy has an immunity to Fire, to make the floor volcanoes a viable weapon, but since the lava floors also do Fire damage, the DamageFactor winds up affecting them too. They'd have to be redefined in [wiki]TERRAIN[/wiki] to do Slime damage like the other floors.

Armor doesn't check to see if you have armor of the same type or better, so it's unfortunately possible to buy armor even when you don't need it.
I probably went a bit overbroad with those resists, but it just feels right for me that he can enjoy lava bathes without breaking a sweat (And the winner of most awkward pun of today is!...). I'll go with slight damage for now, until I'll figure out how to make TERRAIN do my bidings. Yeah, I tried using that already, but I failed so far for unkown to me reasons – probably due to some really stupid thing I didn't notice, as usual. Then the immunity will probably return, as for now – I want the slime in Doom damage you, but not the lava. And for consistency's sake, Heretic's lava should also hurt you. That's how it works for now.
A.Gamma wrote:3. Nothing happens when I buy Mana/Health stimulants. Same goes for armour.
Kate wrote:The Health stimulants are genuinely bugged. The Mana boosters work as intended, but mana is displayed in your inventory currently (it's the yellow vial), so its' effect is not immediately apparent if you don't have it selected. Would need a custom hud that can display mana as a meter in order to remedy that. RO didn't have a hud either, Weasel had to fix that.
Fixed of course!

And my appologizes for the still present lack of the HUD in Overkill... I'll probably try to handle that after I hit the final nail in it's coffin. (Sorry guys, can't develop one thing forever, but the last update shall be a blast, I promise!)
amv2k9 wrote:Made a diamond sprite with the edges smoothed out a bit.
*Snatches*
amv2k9 wrote:-Let the standard spell descriptions stay on screen for a bit longer before bringing up the tomed description, and/or let it alternate between printing the standard and tomed descriptions, and/or add a way to manually flip between them. The "weapon next" & "weapon previous" keys might be the most intuitive ones to use.
Too much of a hassle, but I already extended the description airing time. I hope that'll make the cut!
amv2k9 wrote:-The arrows on either side of the spell/item rings are rendered over the text descriptions.

Speaking of the text descriptions, I spell- and grammar-proofed them. Where possible, I tried to stay true to the original text, but hopefully made the sentences flow better. I put in line breaks to make the lines fit without spilling over onto the spell icons, but some tweaks might be needed.
I've got tackled already. And sorry, I won't make the descriptions cramped into a tower – I mean, both the text and the arrows work alright here, so I guess it must be a tiny resolution issue. little proof here and here.

So! All of the issues (that are fixable) got tackled, hopefully that'll be enough for now. Download has been updated. New version here... otherwise, if you feel like doing so, you can go STRAIGHT TO HELL NOW! (just remember to load the core file first. And ignore the errors - those are heretic-graphics related things, heh.)

Stuff that is included specifically in straight-to-hell edition:
Spoiler:
Changelog doesn't appear as huge, but there has been more done under the hood than one might think. Not mentioning what actual pain in the ass was the doom patch!
Spoiler:
PS. there is a silly bug I spotted right after my ACS engineer went for a weekend trip, so obviously can't fix it until he's back. Will surely get his head around it once he's back. Otherwise, think you can find it? It's quite... "valuable" bug. :wink:
LostSkull

Post by LostSkull »

I, I love you...
Ribo Zurai

Post by Ribo Zurai »

I totally fansquee'd right now. :wub:
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

now that's hell outta the SPEED!
A.Gamma

Post by A.Gamma »

Heh, agree that I should have defined what I meant by "Donkey Kick". Basically it's the powerful kickback some weapons have, shooting in small ledges makes falling almost inevitable.

I will try the new version and continue to give feedback. Amazing mod.
LostSkull

Post by LostSkull »

It's not working :(

Code: Select all

[Global.Autoload]
path=Guncaster_pb_v1.1.pk3
path=Guncaster_StH.pk3
path=unloved.pk3
But everything is still Doom, menues and all.
Niwatorry

Post by Niwatorry »

It's just me or cyberdemon's corpse looks like arachnotron's?

By the way, good job out there :D
Always love an fine-looking enhancement mod like this. Especially spell boosts!
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

if you were talking about that showcase video, only spider masterminds appeared on that video, not a cyberdemon.
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

After one Memorial.wad I gathered some feedback:

1)Some spell's aiming a bit off:
Thunderstike fells kind of... grounded, it doesn't want to hit enemies and instead goes straight into a wall behind them.
Tomed Threadcutter is random. As soon as time freeze goes away, kunai just rush god know where instead of cutting revenant that's right in front of them! Maybe different homing animation where knifes fly away a few meters, spin around a little, lock on and then launch themselves into nearby enemies would be a slighty better. maybe.
Every spell desn't work if you wallhug with your left side. Same applies to projectile weapons and walls on your right. Makes Tusk a whole lot more impractical.

2)Too much everything:
Yep. Lodsemone it is. Also Mana Boosters and Surges are coming really cheap, espetially late ones, which make guns largely unnecesary.
So the plan is to make shop incease the prices with each purchase by about 50% of the riginal price. The more you have, the more it asks!
Also, stop mana regen when/after casting a spell. More powerful spells should mean longer delay.

3)When killed, Cyberdemons turuns into dead spiders:
Whoops.

Otherwise, it's pretty cool. 6.8 outta 10, would Ice Fang again.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

Ikazu-san wrote:1)Some spell's aiming a bit off:.
And when I thought that adding +THRUACTORS for better control... eh, nevermind. It needs very specific kind of aiming - you need to aim at the floor\monster's feet to use it effectively, not into them, that's all. Think rocket launcher and Quake DM matches.

And about shooting offsets... that's sadly how it works in doom. It just doesn't feel right when you shoot an angled weapon from the center, you know?
Ikazu-san wrote:2)Too much everything:
Oops, for multiplay test purposes, I toned down the prices, and forgot to turn them back to regular ones. :roll:
Ikazu-san wrote:3)When killed, Cyberdemons turns into dead spiders:
Probably some mistake when I was defining deaths for corpse blasting... *checks*... yup. Fixed.

And the threadcutter stops time, but only slows down the knives - once the time stop... stops, they enter wild speed. And zdoom's seeker missiles are rather weird in terms of targeting. Yeah, you just have to deal with it. :P
torridgristle

Post by torridgristle »

You should have done more than only rotsprite single sprites. You had no deadline, put on new hands, scripted an entirely new menu system, coded massive effects, and the sprites and animations fall flat. Even WildWeasel's style of moving a sprite around on screen with hands moving independently over it would have been better than seemingly aimless rotspriting.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

torridGristle wrote:You should have done more than only rotsprite single sprites. You had no deadline, put on new hands, scripted an entirely new menu system, coded massive effects, and the sprites and animations fall flat. Even WildWeasel's style of moving a sprite around on screen with hands moving independently over it would have been better than seemingly aimless rotspriting.
While I'm sure your criticism has some basis, perhaps you could stand to be a bit less forceful about it.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”