The Guncaster - 3.888b

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Rowsol

Re: The Guncaster - 3.2

Post by Rowsol »

A few things I keep forgetting to mention, hopefully I don't forget something again.

The Maker firebreath pitch/angle aren't affected by the slider.
Strucker and your kick share a sound channel. If you kick while blasting with the strucker strat it's obvious.
Not that it's new, but Old Dreadful likes to explode upon exiting the barrel if you are anywhere near a wall. Hopefully the offset can be toned down to avoid this annoyance.
KeksDose

Post by KeksDose »

Good finds. Well sound is a pretty common issue for pillow. You can also use Chillgrasp and cancel its sound by kicking. He juggled sound channels best he could.
DemonbaneSoul wrote:So I saw the video about the sword. Is it just going to be a slow-striking, single-hit weapon that does heavy damage to everything in front of you within a certain distance and has very high knockback, or will it be capable of other things, too, like blocking attacks, reflecting projectiles, etc.?
We dunno! The Brimstone is the last weapon to be completed. Its main mode is an enchanted swing in a very wide arc that can sometimes set enemies on fire and cause them to explode (of course). Destroying enemy projectiles is a considerable possibility!

The Strat isn't so clear cut, though. We don't want pillow to draw another set of 5 hands. I'm confident he'll come up with a good idea anyway. Simple yet effective I hope.
Apteral10

Post by Apteral10 »

I wonder what other items Pillowblaster will come up with. The game is very enjoyable and the random items make it very interesting.
EpicTyphlosion
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by EpicTyphlosion »

I wanted to play this game with the IDKFA soundtrack mod, but I noticed that the intermission music doesn't change, even if IDKFA comes first in the load order. I even replaced the intermission music by opening the mod in 7-Zip and replacing it, however that causes the start menu music to change as well, because they both use the same music apparently. I also can't force the game to use the music from IDKFA in the intermission and not on the start menu because I don't know what file to edit or change (and frankly I don't want to go that far just for some music). Is there anything you or I can do to allow the intermission music to be changed without the menu music changing? Or do I have to pick between one or the other?
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

Rowsol wrote:A few things I keep forgetting to mention, hopefully I don't forget something again.

The Maker firebreath pitch/angle aren't affected by the slider.
Strucker and your kick share a sound channel. If you kick while blasting with the strucker strat it's obvious.
Not that it's new, but Old Dreadful likes to explode upon exiting the barrel if you are anywhere near a wall. Hopefully the offset can be toned down to avoid this annoyance.
-Intentional.
-If I could have some more sound channels in gzdoom, I'd halle-fucking-luyah to heaven and back. This was always a huge headache for me and became even more apparent problem when I made simultaneous weapon actions a thing.
-Dunno if I wanna move it to the center any further. I guess with such big projectile it maybe won't matter that much; guess we'll see.
EpicTyphlosion wrote:I wanted to play this game with the IDKFA soundtrack mod, but I noticed that the intermission music doesn't change, even if IDKFA comes first in the load order. I even replaced the intermission music by opening the mod in 7-Zip and replacing it, however that causes the start menu music to change as well, because they both use the same music apparently. I also can't force the game to use the music from IDKFA in the intermission and not on the start menu because I don't know what file to edit or change (and frankly I don't want to go that far just for some music). Is there anything you or I can do to allow the intermission music to be changed without the menu music changing? Or do I have to pick between one or the other?
1. Make a text file called "zmapinfo".

2. Paste this into it.

Code: Select all

gameinfo
{
	intermissionmusic = "your intermission track's file name goes here"
}
3. Put that file into that music wad\pk3. Make sure you load it last.
4. Done. Should hopefully work.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

I just realized what a performance hog the ironblast spirit is. I did some tests standing still in an empty room.

165 fps without
120 with (95 with a second one out)
160 if I remove the 3 effects and it's just a floating shotgun
150 if I remove just IronEffectCloud

There doesn't seem to be any toaster mode options with this.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

I think this might be an error on Guncaster's part, since Hexen mana dropped by enemies empowered via LegenDoomLite and/or Champions tends to float upwards and stay up.
Twitchy2019

Post by Twitchy2019 »

Hey! So, loving the new Guncaster with the added spells and other goodies. The biggest enjoyment I have gotten is when I can go Stanley Ipkiss (The Mask) on demon asses and be an actual God! This mod has all the right checkboxes ticked to make a person looking for a B-E-A-utiful power fantasy trip looking to lose their minds! Thank Pillowblaster and the team for Guncaster for making this shit badass!

Now, I realized this mod was missing something, as if it COULD be missing anything. This is a Sith Lightning-style spell!I mean, there is a spell for lightning but Sith Lightning has that old shoot the lightning out the hands routine, which was sick back in Star Wars Episode 3.

Two other spells seemingly missing would be an earthquake spell and a monster shout spell. That shout spell could work to kill enemies or do explosions like how the Hulk does his big clap thing. Also, Y no earthquakes?!! We need earth-shattering quakes!

Finally, this last thing would be icing on the cake, but Super Saiyan-esque aura powering up thing? That would be nice!

Anyways, thanks for what we do have! MUCH APPRECIATED!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

warman2012 wrote:Now, I realized this mod was missing something, as if it COULD be missing anything. This is a Sith Lightning-style spell!I mean, there is a spell for lightning but Sith Lightning has that old shoot the lightning out the hands routine, which was sick back in Star Wars Episode 3.
That's something I've been wanting a lot myself, yeah. Personally I wanted to suggest a "dragon claw" weapon once, a basically an attempt to save these awesome gauntlet from Heretic to guncaster, while still saing both Guncaster and Heretic aesthetics, and these claws would be both a favorable choose for melees and power fantasist since it could shoots powerful lightning and something like lightning ball (similar thing to BFG10K from Quake 2) for altfire, where you can switch the fire modes by clicking stratocaster button just like for powersuit fists.

Although as stand alone spell the pure lightning, or force-lightning would work too, since there barely any concentration-based spells in game other than shortranged Scourgebreath maybe, so it could fits and work pretty well in gameplay sense. I would love if the lightning behave like actual lightning rather than just straight line laser; I remember in jedi aracemy you could shoot powerful force lightning and it pretty much did insane damage and stun everyone in your vision with rather great range, plus the lightning looked great; or in ReturnToCastleWolfenstein (which is made on same engine as jedi academy) and Wolfenstein 2009 it had an awesome Tesla cannon, that not not only hook up the lightning arcs to every single target in your vision, constantly damaging and stunning them, BUT also chain-lightning from one target to another the arc of lightning for extra damage, and even leave electrified floor a bit as a bonus if you shoot the floor for long enough. Although design a spell that shoots which is why it makes me desire it even more.
warman2012 wrote:Two other spells seemingly missing would be an earthquake spell and a monster shout spell. That shout spell could work to kill enemies or do explosions like how the Hulk does his big clap thing. Also, Y no earthquakes?!! We need earth-shattering quakes!
A while back PillowBlaster said that he MIGHT put a black hole spell, but he seems have to scratch that idea. Although some other enthusiast has made mod for (rather old version of) Guncaster which adds it up, it's called Guncaster Overkill. Maybe once adding new spells won't be so much of a hassle, someone could port the Black Hole spell and create a mod that adds it. The more spells, the better; it's always been like that and always will. :P
warman2012 wrote:Finally, this last thing would be icing on the cake, but Super Saiyan-esque aura powering up thing? That would be nice!
Just out of curiousity, what exactly is it, and what exactly you view by it in the game?
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

I'm pretty much happy with all the stuff the mod has; I'd prefer to see more of bugs and issues fixed before new stuff starts appearing.

Case in point:

-The Splitter Shield can't be obtained from lootboxes; the only way to get it is the shop (summoned as a pickup, it has no sprite).

-The Powersuit arm-cannon-airstrike seems bugged in 3.7.2; the missiles explode on the ceiling as soon as they spawn.

-The non-tomed Frostbite spell has an issue that can lead to a infinite-loop freeze. As far as I can tell, the "death" state of the frost ball lasts for several tics, during which it can still bounce - bouncing will result in it going back to its "bounce" state, which then goes to its "looplet" state, resulting in an undead frost ball with borked sprites that keeps going when it should have already disapeared. This happens most often when throwing it onto lava (which makes it go to its "death" state immediately), in a confined space (where it is likely to hit a wall before fully disapearing). Sometimes it will just last a bit longer than it was supposed to and get to explode twice; other times circumstances will conspire to make it keep exploding/bouncing during its "death" state, until the before mentioned freeze occurs.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

Rowsol wrote:I just realized what a performance hog the ironblast spirit is. I did some tests standing still in an empty room.

165 fps without
120 with (95 with a second one out)
160 if I remove the 3 effects and it's just a floating shotgun
150 if I remove just IronEffectCloud

There doesn't seem to be any toaster mode options with this.
Will make toaster mode affect it, then.
Tesculpture wrote:-The Splitter Shield can't be obtained from lootboxes; the only way to get it is the shop (summoned as a pickup, it has no sprite).

-The Powersuit arm-cannon-airstrike seems bugged in 3.7.2; the missiles explode on the ceiling as soon as they spawn.

-The non-tomed Frostbite spell has an issue that can lead to a infinite-loop freeze. As far as I can tell, the "death" state of the frost ball lasts for several tics, during which it can still bounce - bouncing will result in it going back to its "bounce" state, which then goes to its "looplet" state, resulting in an undead frost ball with borked sprites that keeps going when it should have already disapeared. This happens most often when throwing it onto lava (which makes it go to its "death" state immediately), in a confined space (where it is likely to hit a wall before fully disapearing). Sometimes it will just last a bit longer than it was supposed to and get to explode twice; other times circumstances will conspire to make it keep exploding/bouncing during its "death" state, until the before mentioned freeze occurs.
-I didn't bother fixing it cause... well, I either kept forgetting or didn't feel like it should drop off chests. Will fix for next release though now that was pointed out.

-Yeah, it is. Pitch being a tad borked, already got that reported by Dino. I'll not only fix that but throw in a new method of spawning airstrikes, so it should generally work better.

-That's something that was giving me headaches for a while as people kept on reporting it but it was elusive enough to never trigger for me so I couldn't nail down the exact cause. It'd never occur to me it'd bounce off again while being dead; always thought that death state would handle the collision, but I guess I was wrong. Disabling the usebouncestate in projectile's death should hopefully get this finally fixed, phewt. Thanks for giving me a detail I needed to solve this case.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

I wanted to know: is there a way to increase max ammo in Guncaster-Hexen? Regular Hexen didn't provide a way to do so...
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

AvzinElkein wrote:I wanted to know: is there a way to increase max ammo in Guncaster-Hexen? Regular Hexen didn't provide a way to do so...
isn't the krater of might replaced by a backpack?
they aren't very common though
Apteral10

Post by Apteral10 »

comet1337 wrote:
AvzinElkein wrote:I wanted to know: is there a way to increase max ammo in Guncaster-Hexen? Regular Hexen didn't provide a way to do so...
isn't the krater of might replaced by a backpack?
they aren't very common though
Hmm... No... Backpack to certain extent works as it should... You can pick as many as you want of them and they will continue expanding your ammo pools with each backpack picked up. (Also this April Fools thing is VERY confusing)
Fureyon

Post by Fureyon »

"Adding more ammo indicators would make the HUD more cluttered and I'd have to maintain two HUDs" he said.

What people didn't know is that PB was making an out of season April Fools joke when he said that. The real joke being that he was sane enough to not do it. Carlton Dances

Return to “Gameplay Mods”