The Guncaster - 3.888b

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DemonbaneSol

Re: The Guncaster - 3.0

Post by DemonbaneSol »

I can confirm that Corpse Blast could damage the player character back in 2.8a, in both ways you mentioned. It made it very annoying to try to use, leaving me to resort to jumping and gliding down while I waited for the spirits to dissipate, or hiding behind some kind of cover the spirits couldn't pass through until they were gone.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

Those are not gamebreaking bugs, just saying. You can still launch and do stuff in the mod just fine otherwise. You can get out of the firebreath locking itself on melee pretty easily either, and I fixed that on my side just now.

The whole system for corpseblast is based on the fact that the monster who got killed is targeted by you, therefore making you the owner of the resulting carnage. If a monster got killed by another monster, the resulting blast attaches ownership to him, even if it was triggered by you, and I didn't figure out a way to force the pointer of the player who uses the spell on the corpse. I forgot about this as it's a pretty rare occurance. I'll make a makeshift fix that'll hopefully handle it for now, as I am not feeling like porting whole thing into zscript yet.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

PillowBlaster wrote:Those are not gamebreaking bugs, just saying.
Forgive for my englando. Just that where I live, this term mostly used toward things that end up getting you inevitably killed, thus making game unplayeble when that happens. :P

Just want to say thanks for actually listening to community and try your best to fix the issues\bugs instead of not giving a damn.
QuakedoomNukem Cz

Post by QuakedoomNukem Cz »

Well, prepare for fangasm:
q1XTt5_fOKY
elCreyo
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/Windows 10

Post by elCreyo »

Hello. I just joined this forum and I really love this mod. One of the things that I appreciate the most in version 3.0 is ledge grabbing.
Fenrir Blackstar

Post by Fenrir Blackstar »

Hi, long time player, first time poster. Guncaster's my favorite doom mod, and Pillowblaster is my favorite modder.
I'm having a problem with the shop in the new v3, though. It's not letting me buy literally *anything*, regardless of my amount of gold.
I'm running GZDoom 3.4.1 and Guncaster alone, although it's happened when I've run Guncaster in combination with any other WAD too. I've started new games, I've deleted saves, I've reinstalled GZDoom, I've tried downgrading my GZDoom to an earlier version, I've even tried restarting my computer and trying it all again because fuck it, right? I have no clue what to do about this, and my most diligent internet searches have come up with nothing, except for a post in this very thread about the same issue on an earlier version of Guncaster two years ago.
On that post, you replied that you hadn't been able to reproduce the issue, or something to the effect that you couldn't lock it down, so I'm just wondering if you ever did see this glitch in person, and if it ever got fixed.
Funny thing is, I had the same problem about that long ago when I started playing Guncaster too (No, that other poster isn't me, lol; I don't think I got drunk enough that I'd have forgotten having an account here and asking about it. Also would have remembered if you had actually answered me; Again, you're kinda my favorite lol) It kind of.... I wanna say it fixed itself though? Or I don't remember what I did to deal with it, I just remember I fucked with my saves and restarted and reinstalled so many times with so many slight variations that... well, it just changed, and I don't remember the exact thing that solved it.
Any ideas? I realize I might have to come up with some additional information, but I haven't been here long and I only know to say my GZDoom version and what other mods I'm running and what I've already tried. I probably wouldn't have even bothered y'all if I could have found some other information about this *somewhere*.
Alas, here we are. Thanks for your consideration, dude, and keep making awesome mods. I can tell this thing's a labor of love for you, and I have a lot of fun playing it.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Fenrir, try loading just this with a fresh install of 3.4.1. Load doom normally first so it can make a new .ini, configure the video mode, leave the game, then load this mod. Sometimes an old .ini file can mess things up. Also, it's right click to buy, just incase.
Fenrir Blackstar

Post by Fenrir Blackstar »

Rowsol wrote:Fenrir, try loading just this with a fresh install of 3.4.1. Load doom normally first so it can make a new .ini, configure the video mode, leave the game, then load this mod. Sometimes an old .ini file can mess things up. Also, it's right click to buy, just incase.
Ooohhhmygod, thanks. That worked! n//n;
I had actually altered my controls to the point where right click was no longer the buy button, too, but then I realized that uh... yeah... it even says down there now in the little tooltip bar that I'm a moron (It actually says to use the key I'd remapped already and I just didn't notice.) Jesus xD;
Anyway, problem solved. Gonna go and lose my life again. : D Thanks, Guys!
Metalworks41190

Post by Metalworks41190 »

I don't know if its my computer or the way I have gzdoom setup but whenever I use the amplified lightning spell the game crashes any idea what I should do.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Metalworks41190 wrote:I don't know if its my computer or the way I have gzdoom setup but whenever I use the amplified lightning spell the game crashes any idea what I should do.
I was having a similar problem. It turns out I had the graphics options set too high and my vram was maxing out causing a crash after a certain period of time. Or atleast I hope that was the issue. I just loaded up the game and used tomed lightning fine. I suggest a clean install of gzdoom 3.4.1 to a new folder, starting the game and configuring the bare essentials (no openGL option tweaking), then exit the game, load GC, and try the spell again.

e: it just happened again.
Last edited by Rowsol on Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

For some reason this is popping up every time I try to load Guncaster, tried it with the latest official build as well as the latest 64-bit beta as of July 7th.
Spoiler:
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

That seems familiar with an error someone trying to load Mikk's Champs had. Load only GC and see if it helps.
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

Rowsol wrote:That seems familiar with an error someone trying to load Mikk's Champs had. Load only GC and see if it helps.
Yeah, that was it. Guess Champions is incompatible with Guncaster.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

PillowBlaster wrote:The whole system for corpseblast is based on the fact that the monster who got killed is targeted by you, therefore making you the owner of the resulting carnage. If a monster got killed by another monster, the resulting blast attaches ownership to him, even if it was triggered by you, and I didn't figure out a way to force the pointer of the player who uses the spell on the corpse. I forgot about this as it's a pretty rare occurance. I'll make a makeshift fix that'll hopefully handle it for now, as I am not feeling like porting whole thing into zscript yet.
Speaking about the attachments to NPC and NPC targeting another NPC, I found similar annoying bug with another spell but it behave a little different.

Bug: Skypunch under Midas Tome effect does not work on NPC that target another NPC instead of player.
What it does, how to replicate and how it affect the game: Whenever the enemies got hit by another enemy, they try to attack the NPC that hit them instead, thus not targeting you anymore. So once you try to shoot the npc that are distracted by another npc with the Skypunch spell while being under the Midas Tome effect, the magical ghost projectiles that hiting the NPC in the air turn white (default) instead of yellow (the one that actually turn enemies in to gold statues), so as result you end up just killing the NPC instead of turning them in to a gold statues, thus loose a good amount of gold that you would purchase a lot of precious goodies with.
Found and tested in: Doom ultra-violence and Heretic ultra-violence, so I bet this happens in other games including Strife, Chex and HeXen and other difficulties as well.
EDIT: Tested on other difficulties and in HeXen. Same thing.

Also, regarding Midas Tome. The cooldown timer is quite very harsh, and waiting to activate it again can be very tedious... Any chance in future to have update so that we can upgrade the Midas Tome too, so the cooldown timer get much much smaller and insignificant, please??? I sure love turning everything in to a gold statues with both powersuit charge, magic and fist explosions! I know that there is Croesus Blessing artifact, but first of all the balls spawn extremely rarely, unless you play slaughterfest maps, and second, it's still very random and purely luck based, so sometimes while clearing the whole map under midas tome effect, it may never spawn even once... Besides, I prefer to play slowly and tactical (especially on android, thanks to for toaster mode runs almost perfect on 30$ crappy china tablet!), thus not always having the time to pick the ball (if it ever spawns), so it just doesn't feel right to not have ability to activate it whenever you want and have to wait incredible long for a second usage.
DemonbaneSol

Post by DemonbaneSol »

Messing around a bit I discovered that Hoarding Headache seems to still work as intended, so it seems that of the two, only Mana Headache isn't working like it should, in case that helps any with my previous mention of Mana Headache.

Also, for the Supermag Johnson artifact, if there isn't a way to "reload" the three shots before you use all three, then could one be implemented? Also, while I personally don't see a need to be able to deactivate it after acquiring it, would it be a good idea to add that?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”