The Guncaster - 3.888b

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
MaxRideWizardLord

Re: The Guncaster - 3.0

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Crimsondrgn wrote:I just realized something, the power armor seems focused on firepower and brute force melee enhancement, the Draugh suit seems heavily tilted to magic use, if that sword and the Deadmaker armor ever got dragged in, maybe have them work together a bit.

Deadmaker armor lets you channel spells into its gauntlets or the sword for magic enhanced melee with effects depending on the spell?
Ehh, swords are kinda overused and boring, there are way too many doom mods that add sword thoughtlessly even if it does not fit. If pillowblaster ever consider to add melee weapon, I really hope it will be special fancy gautlets would fit more for mod like this, especially considering in beginning it's meant to be a Heretic mod and still tries to save it's Heretic world aesthetics. The gautlets would enhance the magic, and even have their Magic attack skills\abilies that you could activate by stratocaster, while also enhance the melee range and bash power, especially with powersuit on. I believe it would fit me as well because you play as crawly dragon that relies on his own fists rather than prolonged sticks. Unless I miss something, and the development of sword\armor already in process, then I apologize. Although I'd still would love to see Necromancer Gautlets more than swords, since gautlets alone are rare in mods and vidoe games, and I've never seen a game with magical gautless shooting ranged lightning attack other than Heretic itself.

I wouldn't mind more extra armor\mantles, especially if you could equip them all together. However, I consider draugh suit more for stealth play style and for overall stealth users than magic users. You can even use it convert enemies on your side if you get close to enemies, something that you can see only in stealth based video games. Unless pillowblaster wanted to make the game more appealing for stealth lovers, who knows? I'm all for versatile playstyle and lots of abilities.
Dinosaur_Nerd
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Alright... here's a really wierd bug.

step1: Start a multiplayer game with two or more players (or two instances of a game on the same computer if you just really wanna test it for fun)
step2: Have one play (any player) go into player settings and set "Always Run" to "ON"
step3: Have everyone else (or just any other player) go into player settings and set "Always Run" to "OFF"
step4: Have one of those players with different "Always Run" settings take a step or two in any direction
step5: Instantaneous Desync.

I wish I knew exactly what was causing this, I have a feeling it's something to do with the special movement scripts in /ZScript/Guncaster.txt but I'm too much of a ZScript idiot to have figured it out yet, but I'll try to bumble my way into a little understanding. This is by no means what I'd call a Gamebreaking bug, as all you have to do is at the start of any multiplayer game is have everyone agree on one thing:
To always run? or not to always run? That is the question.
Still a wierd bug though... I'm not sure if it could cause issues in the future or not, it doesn't interfere with anything I'm doing, unless someone I'm playing with decides to muck with their settings after I told them not to.

Cheers, and sorry for seeming to always bear bad news,
-Dino
elCreyo
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/Windows 10

Post by elCreyo »

Any chance to get an option that disables screen shaking while wearing battle armor? Battle armor is awesome but all that screen shaking makes me sick.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Dinosaur_Nerd wrote:cl_run desync
This is one of the first issues that was found and fixed, for a feature that doesn't even work in multiplayer due to the fact that GZDoom's internal user cvars are not respected by netplay in any way. You'll get the same effect if you attempt to move while holding the run key, regardless of your cl_run setting. You'll find the responsible code in the states section of the player class, which might still be located in DECORATE.
Fenrir Blackstar

Post by Fenrir Blackstar »

So I have a question about Rachmaninov's Punch that's not a bug issue or anything like that.
What was the reference there? Are we talking about the composer? Because I wonder what that has to do with an exploding fist. Just curious. xD
(Just looked up ol' Sergei and it's said he had very, very large hands and smoked a lot. Maybe this? : P)
PillowBlaster

Re: The Guncaster - 3.1

Post by PillowBlaster »

Fenrir Blackstar wrote:So I have a question about Rachmaninov's Punch that's not a bug issue or anything like that.
What was the reference there? Are we talking about the composer? Because I wonder what that has to do with an exploding fist. Just curious. xD
(Just looked up ol' Sergei and it's said he had very, very large hands and smoked a lot. Maybe this? : P)
One of my irl friends has a wifi password RachmaninovPunch (plz no hack) and I found it amusing; at that time I was pondering about some meteor attack, and that kind of connected to each other. [/development stories]

With that being said - update time. Mostly bugfixes\tweaks. May or may not include everything you wished for, cause I had my reasons. Changelog below.
Spoiler: changelog
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Woo! I can use my mouse properly in the menus again.

You forgot extremedeath on the drunk slugs. (or maybe intention since they move slower?)
elCreyo
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/Windows 10

Post by elCreyo »

Thanks for adding normal steps while wearing battle armor. I really appreciate it.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

The augur strat still has the X-Ray monster silhouettes dancing around all over the place when you have Extremesphere or berserk.

A very very minor gripe... The Extremesphere powerup lasts exactly 1 second too long, and the Dragonforce song attempts to restart during that last second, which feels a little... dissonant.
I have it set to last 116 seconds in my spin-off mod and the powerup and Music end in perfect sync. (this can be checked by exporting the DRGFORCE.mp3 from the mod and opening it with Audacity or any music editor that displays time to the half second, and the music file ends at approx 1:56.50 {116.5 seconds}, that last half second is the culprit.)

If you'd rather keep it at 117 seconds, perhaps another half second of silence tacked onto the end of the .mp3 would correct the issue.
KeksDose

Post by KeksDose »

Augur x-ray shakiness is a known issue we cannot fully accommodate for (yet). It's an issue with lag and certain unexposed view shifts caused by whatever the spécial du jour unexpected camera movement is (for example, quaking). All in all, it's a trade-off we knowingly made until better ways are presented.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Dinosaur_Nerd wrote:A very very minor gripe... The Extremesphere powerup lasts exactly 1 second too long, and the Dragonforce song attempts to restart during that last second, which feels a little... dissonant.
I have it set to last 116 seconds in my spin-off mod and the powerup and Music end in perfect sync. (this can be checked by exporting the DRGFORCE.mp3 from the mod and opening it with Audacity or any music editor that displays time to the half second, and the music file ends at approx 1:56.50 {116.5 seconds}, that last half second is the culprit.)

If you'd rather keep it at 117 seconds, perhaps another half second of silence tacked onto the end of the .mp3 would correct the issue.
I suspect MP3 conversion errors here, honestly; the MP3 format, for whatever reason, will either insert or remove an arbitrary (but small) amount of silence on the beginning or end of the file. This results in timing not being totally accurate and also utterly kills seamless looping.

...But wait, you said "in your spin-off mod"? Is this true of vanilla Guncaster?
phantombeta
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

wildweasel wrote:...But wait, you said "in your spin-off mod"? Is this true of vanilla Guncaster?
They meant that they fixed the powerup's duration in their spin-off mod to sync with the music.
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

I tried a little bit of this, played the first episode of Heretic; this is truly amazing indeed from what I played!

One minor gripe I did have was that certain gore effects didn't seem to fade out after certain periods of time, making it impossible to completely clean the map with Corpseblast spell (which is otherwise satisfying!).

Also, an actual bug; killing the Iron Lich by erasing them with Scourgebreath doesn't seem to trigger their A_BossDeath action. Found that out the hard way in E1M8.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

wildweasel wrote: I suspect MP3 conversion errors here, honestly; the MP3 format, for whatever reason, will either insert or remove an arbitrary (but small) amount of silence on the beginning or end of the file. This results in timing not being totally accurate and also utterly kills seamless looping.
I'll run some tests with .ogg and see if I can get it all to work correctly.
wildweasel wrote: ...But wait, you said "in your spin-off mod"? Is this true of vanilla Guncaster?
Yes, this musical desynchronization occurs in Guncaster 3.1, I have applied a fix in my spin-off (Guncaster Vindicated) to correct this issue. (phantombeta hit the nail on the head)

Any bugs/glitches/whining I post in this thread will be in regards to Guncaster 3.1 Offical, I really don't have any intention to waste the time of the Guncaster developers with something I've screwed up in my own work or work from some mod other than their own, far as I'm concerned that shouldn't be their responsibility.
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

Beed28 wrote:One minor gripe I did have was that certain gore effects didn't seem to fade out after certain periods of time, making it impossible to completely clean the map with Corpseblast spell (which is otherwise satisfying!).
Did a little test on this; it seems to be a bug with the Mummy (both normal and leader, but not their ghost variants) enemy in Heretic; if they're gibbed, they can't be destroyed with the Corpseblast like the other monsters.
EDIT: Seems it does affect the ghost variants too.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”