The Guncaster - 3.888b

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
FlyingPotato

Re: The Guncaster - 3.3

Post by FlyingPotato »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:MAYBE with some luck, I can just copy-paste the old mana-shield script to replace the new one.
It's not even that complicated. From what I can tell, it's written so that five pieces will still give you total invulnerability, but you can only carry three. ManaShield.txt is in the artifacts subfolder of the zcript folder. All I needed to do was change Inventory.MaxAmount and Inventory.InterHubAmount from 3 to 5.
Fureyon

Post by Fureyon »

Got an error playing Hexen when using the Weapon Context Menu. This happens when you have guns other than your starting kit, with the exception of the Brimstone.
For some reason the sord doesn't cause the VM to abort and displays correctly.

Error:

Code: Select all

VM execution aborted: tried to read from address zero.
Called from Gc_WeaponHelp.IsSensible at Guncaster.pk3:zscript/help/kindergarten maths.txt, line 404
Called from Gcq_WeaponSelect.FilterWithAmmo at Guncaster.pk3:zscript/quick/data containers.txt, line 175
Called from Gcq_WeaponSelect.FilterByInventory at Guncaster.pk3:zscript/quick/data containers.txt, line 183
Called from Gcq_QuickSelect.OnOpen at Guncaster.pk3:zscript/quick/quick select menu.txt, line 116
Called from Gcq_QuickSelectHandler.open at Guncaster.pk3:zscript/quick/select handling.txt, line 158
Called from Gcq_QuickSelectHandler.NetworkProcess at Guncaster.pk3:zscript/quick/select handling.txt, line 218
EDIT: Found another bug which may not be related to Guncaster, Brown Serpent's Ice Statue Sprite seems to be missing. This might be either an engine bug or my WAD got corrupted somehow as Hexen has frozen sprites by default.
I have not tested if this happens with the Green Serpent.
NTSM
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by NTSM »

So! Here I am. ^^
I have to say ... the Weapons Shop is great. But apparently still missing the Ammunition for the "Longhorn"? :D
Well ... I do not want to count Peas at that point now. ^-^
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

Fureyon wrote:EDIT: Found another bug which may not be related to Guncaster, Brown Serpent's Ice Statue Sprite seems to be missing. This might be either an engine bug or my WAD got corrupted somehow as Hexen has frozen sprites by default.
I have not tested if this happens with the Green Serpent.
Brown serpent doesn't have a separate sprite for frozen state, uses same as green one, so I fudged there.

As of the extra sword attack stuff requests - I'll have to politely decline. Coding that would probably be not impossible but annoying. What's the dealbreaker is that I drew all the swinging frames by hand and it shows, given people being rather disappointed by it (and so far me trying to fix it or offers of fixing it ended up making it even worse) so unless I'd get my hand at a model again or I'll somehow made a passable one myself\git gudder to redraw those frames better, I don't think I wanna dive there again.
Beezle

Post by Beezle »

PillowBlaster wrote:What's the dealbreaker is that I drew all the swinging frames by hand and it shows, given people being rather disappointed by it (and so far me trying to fix it or offers of fixing it ended up making it even worse) so unless I'd get my hand at a model again or I'll somehow made a passable one myself\git gudder to redraw those frames better, I don't think I wanna dive there again.
Well you did a damn good job with the sword and the animations, seems to swing a bit slow sometimes but I imagine that's for balance reasons, otherwise you'd just bulldoze over everything lol. Thanks for another awesome, and unexpected, update :D
Fureyon

Post by Fureyon »

I think the sword looks pretty good personally, but I figured requesting extra attacks was not something simple.
If anything I'm glad it doesn't render the fists completely obsolete.

May I suggest an artifact to make the explosive debuff more likely to happen? Maybe a radioactive/antimatter whetstone of some kind.
Rtma

Post by Rtma »

What can I say about 3.3, Excellent.
Deadmaker + Brimstone (Stat) = HardOn Mode Activated. (Innuendo implied)

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/VengefulNervousIbex-small.gif
Crimsondrgn

Post by Crimsondrgn »

Seems I found a bug in the shop with Sabbatha, using GZDoom 4.1.3 with Guncaster 3.3 and the addon.

VM execution aborted: tried to read from address zero. In function parameter "self"
Called from Gc_Shop_Messages.Draw at Guncaster.pk3:zscript/shop/main/messages.txt, line 500
Called from Gc_Shop.DrawEverything at Guncaster.pk3:zscript/shop/ui/main control.txt, line 713
Called from Gc_Shop_Entry.RenderOverlay at Guncaster.pk3:zscript/shop/main/the place with the key bind.txt, line 72
Called from BrokenLines.StringAt [Native]
I also saw the text glitch out at one point, three lines with nothing but a Y on them then something I forgot on the fourth line, she sometimes seems to hang up on a line and never proceed to a new one.

A possible suggestion, maybe a way to randomize which shopkeep shows up each time you open up the shop for people who think they're both great and can't pick.

I have to say it's amazing to see how far this mod has come, to Pillowblaster and crew, you've done things I never thought possible with Doom / Hexen / Heretic almost a decade ago when I never knew about the modding community around these games. The people making up the Doom modding community helped me realize how great these games are, and how they can become even better, I got my start with Doom 64 and almost let these games fade from my memory until I found out about you lot, and now play them daily.
baddude1337

Post by baddude1337 »

Crimsondrgn wrote:Seems I found a bug in the shop with Sabbatha, using GZDoom 4.1.3 with Guncaster 3.3 and the addon.

VM execution aborted: tried to read from address zero. In function parameter "self"
Called from Gc_Shop_Messages.Draw at Guncaster.pk3:zscript/shop/main/messages.txt, line 500
Called from Gc_Shop.DrawEverything at Guncaster.pk3:zscript/shop/ui/main control.txt, line 713
Called from Gc_Shop_Entry.RenderOverlay at Guncaster.pk3:zscript/shop/main/the place with the key bind.txt, line 72
Called from BrokenLines.StringAt [Native]
Just came to say I had the same crash down to the line numbers, although it was with Nithor, he was saying something about lots of yes' and crashed towards the end of the audio.
Crimsondrgn wrote:A possible suggestion, maybe a way to randomize which shopkeep shows up each time you open up the shop for people who think they're both great and can't pick.
+1 if this is possible!
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

Crimsondrgn wrote:Seems I found a bug in the shop with Sabbatha, using GZDoom 4.1.3 with Guncaster 3.3 and the addon.
We ninja-fix'd it, hopefully; redownload and see if that helps!
Crimsondrgn wrote:A possible suggestion, maybe a way to randomize which shopkeep shows up each time you open up the shop for people who think they're both great and can't pick.
I'll pitch the idea to the German Engineering department.
Crimsondrgn wrote:I have to say it's amazing to see how far this mod has come, to Pillowblaster and crew, you've done things I never thought possible with Doom / Hexen / Heretic almost a decade ago when I never knew about the modding community around these games. The people making up the Doom modding community helped me realize how great these games are, and how they can become even better, I got my start with Doom 64 and almost let these games fade from my memory until I found out about you lot, and now play them daily.
Oh trust me, I didn't think I'd end up with such a monstrous mod myself when I started dabbling in all of this, ten years ago. However, we seriously need a break for now, ha.
gdm413229
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by gdm413229 »

Any progress on Russian Overkill? When I used the stratocaster mode for Sandman, it makes me think of killing xenomorphs from the Alien trilogy. The shop (with a GC-style interface) could be implemented in Russian Overkill ... but the treasure in RO has to be sold for North Korean Won or Soviet Rubles. Treasure, if implemented in RO could come from monster drops or found lying around in maps. North Korean items and equipment are purchased with North Korean Won and Soviet stuff is purchased using Soviet Rubles. (in RO's shop)

When implementing the shop in Russian Overkill, don't forget an option to exchange between Rubles and Won. Any ninja fixes to Russian Overkill are appreciated, with the implementation of the quick-yet-useful weapon and item quick-select wheels.
mutator

Post by mutator »

With guncaster I have a question, the new weapon that uses bullets which are explosive is it a separate gun or it's most upgraded version of chaingun? It is very nice update of the mod but there is something I will say, when you fully upgrade the weapon that is in slot of bfg9000 once you fire the gun it wipes out all enemies from the map so is this intentional? Someone might use that as a cheat or maybe it was intentional, I just didn't notice that until the latest version of guncaster in case if it wasn't intentional I wanted to let you know pillow!
Fureyon

Post by Fureyon »

It's a separate gun, each shot from the Sandman costs 5 chaingun bullets. Considering the rate of fire, it eats through bullets super fast, but also deals damage in kind.
That is intentional for the Old Dreadful's Stratocaster, it's literally a nuke that kills everything in a wide radius through walls. The range is not infinite tho and very large maps may have survivors.
I think it also kills the infamous player voodoo dolls resulting in death for the player. I know PB and co toyed with the idea of making these dolls invulnerable to the Old Dreadful in the past, but I'm not sure if they managed to do it or not. I tend to refrain from using it, unless the map is being a pain in the ass. :P
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

Fureyon wrote:I think it also kills the infamous player voodoo dolls resulting in death for the player. I know PB and co toyed with the idea of making these dolls invulnerable to the Old Dreadful in the past, but I'm not sure if they managed to do it or not. I tend to refrain from using it, unless the map is being a pain in the ass. :P
That's been addressed at some point, it is in this version too~
NTSM
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by NTSM »

Yo PB!
One question :idea: ... is it possible to add backpacks in the weapons shop area? Sometimes with the limited amount of ammo at the start and the use of the Sandman, it would be really cool to be able to raise the capacity. ^-^
I'm pretty sure that would appeal to some other users as well? ;)

Of course, that should not be too cheap in the shop come over, so I thought of an extra surcharge after the first backpack.
(Should the option: "Hammer Space Backpack" be turned on?)
What do you think? ^-^

Return to “Gameplay Mods”