The Guncaster - 3.888b

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [Release] The Guncaster - Straight to Hell!

Post by Wivicer »

I don't know if it's just me, but when playing Ultimate Doom, E1M8, and any pWADs that use the same level type, killing the barons doesn't open the exit. I've played through multiple times, and it happens every time.

EDIT: by level type I mean the 666 tag activated by the barons' death.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

well, after killing barons in E1M8 with this mod, it worked. the exit were open. i was using a GZdoom G1.9, otherwise it's latest version and ran with 100% fine-ultimate doom. about yours, how about upgrade your gzdoom?

oh, also playing this mod with doom or doom 2, the font or menu cursor disappears too. and every weapon replacement or items never works. of course it happens, this mod were used to be using a font, cursor, weapon or item resources from heretic after all.
torridGristle wrote:You can break the gun into pieces (top, side, back) with a selection tool and cut to new layer and then skew or distort each piece and widen the top either manually or with a transform to match perspective lines to fake a 3D rotation. Attached is the idle frame, the Rotsprite frame, and the skewed frame. I'm not sure if this will be viable for more extreme angles but it could be augmented with a few degrees of Rotsprite for additional movement.
nice improvement! and i hope you or pillowbuster can do about cyilder rotate, least fired bullet never reloads it's own pellet but magic, you know.
nax

Post by nax »

PillowB - Lightning is difficult to use, but mainly because it has a tendency to completely not hit where you need it to. I'm not sure if there's a slight 'randomizer' element to aiming it, but even as I use it more and more I notice some fairly weird physics going on with it sometimes going waaaay off course such as aiming it at your feet only to watch it hit a door 2 yards away. Obviously, I have no idea how you did something like this so I'm not sure how easy it is to even do it in the first place :P But those are essentially my two balance concerns with it.

While I love the effects for casting stuff and shooting stuff, one thing that ends up bothering me a bit was Scourgebreath (giggity Diablo) having a fairly significant red flash as you cast it. I like the idea about how demonic and scary it is, but in practice it...kinda gets a bit annoying. Plus I want to see more of it without that red flash kind of covering it up :P More a personal deal than anything else, not sure how anyone else feels about it.
President People

Re: [WIP] The Guncaster

Post by President People »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:Why do people keep putting guns in Heretic, specifically?
LostSkull wrote:Someone should to the opposite for Doom.
Does this count?
LostSkull

Post by LostSkull »

I play and love GMOTA
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

torridGristle wrote:criticism
I'm not a super-expert at image manipulation for mod feels, and I'm sure that Pillow knows a good bit more about these things due to working with them on more than an occasional basis, but I'm sure he would have gone the extra mile to make everything super pretty instead of just plain amazingly murderous if he felt it necessary. I suggest what I've suggested to probably a couple other people in this topic: if you make the amendments, there's no reason not to take them into consideration so this can become the most amazing and perfect mod ever. :wink:
nax wrote:points on lightning
Unfortunately, it's a projectile that summons lightning at the point it strikes. I imagine the projectile code is just a little finicky when it comes to the surfaces it decides to stop at, but at least the strike has a fairly useful radius considering.
LostSkull

Post by LostSkull »

I have a minor complaint. Say I run out of ammo for the rifle, I instantly switch to the strongest weapon instead of the weapon in the next slot after the rifle.
So I managed to insta-raep myself and ton of demons when I ran out of ammo for the rifle and the game switched to the rocketlauncher in a blink of an eye
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

That's an eady fix: WEAPON.NOAUTOFIRE (the same "safety lock" as the original BFG/RL).
LostSkull

Post by LostSkull »

Sorry for being noob-ish, but where do I put in that? The autoexec?
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

>
It's a flag for the Weapon definition(s). Just add +WEAPON.NOAUTOFIRE. :)
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

I read this earlier and brought it up to Pillow. Thanks for mentioning :)

Speaking of which, fixed another couple of silly bugs tonight like TOTALLYFROZEN sticking after being left in the amulet menu after exiting a map and the aforementioned "valuable" edit bug. Keep the mentions coming!

EDIT: Now with more "lightning spawner is a fast projectile so let's actually inherit from FastProjectile" (silly Pillow) and dosh as an ammotype to keep it from stacking at max! That being said, if you reach the new max, you're playing one hell of a wad.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

So, a little update, mostly bug and crap-fixing. Also, gonna mention a little thing that was added before, but didn't have any HUD indicator - the longer you run at top speed, the more resistant you get against hitscan attacks! (The hell is that? Well, call it ninja mode, matrix powers, whatever fits for you. Just to give those pesky, open-area hitscanners or a mastermind a good whopping.)

Links here:
Core
Doom patch

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Next stop? If all the fixing was enough, I guess I'll start adding more things again. If Doom will be kind enough, perhaps gonna add actual melee weapon, and the supershotgun replacement in StH-edition. Then perhaps add more spells or item gimmicks (the biggest one being berserk pack, if I'll succesfully sit down to it). Stay tuned!
LostSkull

Re: [Release] The Guncaster v1.2

Post by LostSkull »

Nice update, Pillow! I'm glad you also updated the Doom patch, even tho it isn't really meant for that game. :)
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

I've played Guncaster a little more than I'm actually comfortable with admitting, and started working on a version with weapons that powered up properly, based off of the initial release version. With a new computer and endless free time, I recently updated it to 1.2, and includes custom sprites for the Strucker, Pacifier, Cauterizer, and Old Dreadful while Tome'd (though Cauterizer and OD are just colored to match different colored projectiles, fired in groups of 4 and 3, respectively; Pacifier gains a larger, heavier barrel with more prominent handguard, and Strucker gets a long barrel, improving accuracy, and all weapons, except OD, have higher ROF), as well as purple (yes, purple) muzzle flashes and hitpuffs during Tome Time. Pacifier and Strucker have special firing sounds while Tomed.

For the judgment of the ZDoom community
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

Well, I actually planned on doing that, but I don't mind some help here and there. And I'd actually make it a separate patch, rather than modify whole file. But hey, big thanks nonetheless! :P

My thoughts so far:

-I'd make Westwood slower than that, but auto-firing.
-Strucker sounds good, albeit it's lil bit too fast for it, and looks odd as hell with this attachement. It's actually double-barreled, you know. (I know that muzzleflash fools eyes a bit, but making transparent flashes overlay themselves gives rather unpleasant effects, so I centered the standard one I had.)
-Okay, that barrel on Pacifier looks cool! Clashes a bit with the rest... but blimey if it doesn't look cool. I'd move the flash higher, though. And that firing sound rapes my ears. D:
-Cauterizer is gud. No changes. Much approval.
-Dreadful has missing flying and impact sounds, aaaand particles.

I can implement that in main file and maintain it from now on for sure. Oh, and some issue that I have only noticed - a little mistake by me, as I was shuffling the ACS files with Zhs as we were working on things, and I didn't notice that the changed usage policy didn't get added to Guncaster's movement script. Let's just say that I'd rather be asked first before using those... That file got fixed for that case, and with some extra fixes nonetheless. I'll add those tomed modes for later update.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”