The Guncaster - 3.888b

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ryuhi

Re: [Update] The Guncaster - 2.8a, all glory be

Post by Ryuhi »

2.3 is the sweet spot IIRC, i know 2.4 and beyond have the gold glitch.

i mean the alternative fix is not dying but we cant all be pro like that so :D
erni945

Post by erni945 »

Ryuhi wrote:2.3 is the sweet spot IIRC, i know 2.4 and beyond have the gold glitch.

i mean the alternative fix is not dying but we cant all be pro like that so :D

From what I remember I also used version 2.3 and also had a bug with gold
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

2.4 maybe. im almost positive 2.3 was the last version that didnt have that glitch upon reloading after death. though if not maybe 2.2?
erni945

Post by erni945 »

Ryuhi wrote:2.4 maybe. im almost positive 2.3 was the last version that didnt have that glitch upon reloading after death. though if not maybe 2.2?

I used version 2.2 and it was all ok, then I tried version 2.3 and since 2.3 started these errors with gold. So does this mod need updating to restore it to normal use
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

I really should stop answering multitude of people while quoting one person, else I get everyone misunderstand things. Lemme state this again. I meant with using newer version to fix bugs that one person had, not to deal with the gold bug, as~
May 8th, two-three pages ago I wrote:the gold bug is something that I'm afraid won't get fixed without rewriting the shop, which will happen... well, dunno. It will happen, that I can guarantee, but it might take some time.
Something that is broken thanks to patchwork, can't be fixed with more patchwork, so a rewrite is a must. It takes some time as it is probably most complex thing in the mod till date. This time, we want to make it modular, future proof to a degree, and self-explanatory, and throw in some extra bells'n'whistles while we're at it.

Of course the transitions won't be this long, this is mostly for fancy stuff testing.
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

That animation is a lot more cleaner and it looks like you freed up the central area. it can be of use for other things.

Also while i do have the gold bug i honestly don't mind it much. since you can recup most of the cash anyway in most cases.
Rtma

Post by Rtma »

erni945 wrote:
Ryuhi wrote:2.4 maybe. im almost positive 2.3 was the last version that didnt have that glitch upon reloading after death. though if not maybe 2.2?

I used version 2.2 and it was all ok, then I tried version 2.3 and since 2.3 started these errors with gold. So does this mod need updating to restore it to normal use
It was version 2.2, it was fine, gold system worked, but suffered framerate issues on big monster filled maps, updated to 3.1, Framerates are good but yeah, what I just said.
argv

Post by argv »

Well, this mod is cool, but way too easy. I'd rebalance it myself (the power suit needs a nerf, the extremesphere needs to be drastically shortened, etc), but apparently I'm not allowed to do that. Pity. It's so close to being fun…
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

You are allowed, but if you want to release it publically you must ask Pillow first, as the readme states. The policy is strict in this regard to discourage those who would "brutalize everything", "steal everything for brutal offshoots", or be generally nutty about reusing without permission, as the guy himself phrased it. I think you'll be fine so long as you talk it over with him.
Last edited by Zhs2 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

You are allowed to rework the mod to your preferences as long as you keep it personal.

But if you want to publish it as a spin-off thingy you will need pillow's permisson just like everything else mod related.
argv

Post by argv »

I'm accustomed to modding being open to any and all, and taking the bad with the good. So, that readme struck me as unusually (and ironically) hostile to modding.

I just looked at the original readme that comes with 2.8a, though, and that…changes my perception completely. Now I understand why he'd want to restrict further modding of Guncaster. I'm not sure I agree, but I can't blame him for wanting it that way. Rest assured, I'm not here to make a mockery of Guncaster, and I mean no disrespect to PillowBlaster and his work. I just want to make it more fun, and in particular, to make it still be fun after getting the power suit and/or extremesphere (without just removing them, because power suits and guitar solos are ❤❤❤❤ing awesome).

I'd prefer to have my changes merged back in, actually. But it's technically a spinoff unless/until PillowBlaster incorporates them into a release. I do my mod development in publicly-accessible repositories on Bitbucket (for example, see my work on Brutal Doom). I do that because I don't believe in modding behind closed doors; I believe in the open collaborative software development style popularized by Bitbucket and GitHub.

So, how should I ask permission? Should I PM PillowBlaster? Will this comment suffice?
KeksDose

Post by KeksDose »

argv wrote:I'd rebalance it myself (the power suit needs a nerf, the extremesphere needs to be drastically shortened, etc)
argv wrote:I'd prefer to have my changes merged back in
Good luck trying to convince pillow to officially nerf the two most sacred items in the mod.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

KeksDose wrote:Good luck trying to convince pillow to officially nerf the two most sacred items in the mod.
^ this. Eitherway, I am not against modding, it sounds stupidly counter-intuitive on a forum which revolves around that, right?

Two of my other mods are pretty much what you were hoping for - open to be messed with. I am no despote, I just inquire on respecting my wish in the regard of this particular mod. Of course, this can be completely disregarded, this is the internet after all, and I have no copyright over this stuff. But it'd leave me sad.

I don't believe in policy of open doors. Collaborative effort is fine, as long as I am working with people who went through trials, who I can trust and ask help for. I wanna have a calm, self-contained environment.

I make mods to mostly cater to my own taste, to my friends, and I do them within my own intimate space, within my own time. When I need help with things, I ask my collagues for input. If people will like the changes, then I am really happy with that, and I am willingful to fix bugs, listen to suggestions and feedback when it's due, and add or change things, as long as they fit the category. Nerfing powersuit and extremesphere is decidedly against that.

However, you're free to make a compat patch which tweaks things to your heart's desire. Posting it on the forums is also welcomed, I already had couple mini-mods or offshoots of my other mods, as long as one asks first. I just don't want a particular type of situations I had happen to me, happen again.
argv

Post by argv »

KeksDose wrote:Good luck trying to convince pillow to officially nerf the two most sacred items in the mod.
Seriously? Why? What fun is there in clearing out the entire rest of the map/wad with almost zero effort? I don't understand.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

If you don't know why people play Russian Overkill, odds are you might never understand. (Hey, it's by the same author, and he's admitted to being this kind of casual player!) Still, for the sake of trying to explain, sometimes you just want to kick back and murder a whole map full of monsters without worry of being slain yourself. RO embodies this 100% (although the gimmick of RO is that you are your own worst enemy), Guncaster only somewhat less so (Flying mechanics? Overpowered guns that shoot really fast? UnderOverpowered magic spells that explode a lot? And let's not get started into how you can practically throw your fists and foot at everything but still win.)

You don't have to use these overpowered items, or pick them up. Heck, you can personally tweak them to your specifications in your personal copy or patch, no one's really stopping you from doing that. It's just not going to become official since the mod author made them that way for a reason. If that still deters you, then maybe this is not the mod for you.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”