[WIP] The Space Pirate (WHERE'S MY UPDATE MARTY?, Pg 34)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cardboard Marty
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] The Space Pirate (V.0.1 Alpha Released!)

Post by Cardboard Marty »

The issues with hitscanners (and the shotgun guy in particular) have been noted and fixed. I'll be fixing a couple more things and releasing a new version here soon. Keep the comments/suggestions/fun stuff coming in!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

glad to hear that up, also i hope you can fix some of weapon reloading sprites too. and not mean't about making shotgun fancy...again, i don't want pushing you like that(of course, no-no is a no-no.) otherwise, thanks for your cooperation! :D
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

What I noticed when I gave it a romp:
Pistol sprite is too close to the center of the screen, it looked like it was pointing way off to the left.
Having to click once to fire the shotgun, then another time to pump it was annoying. This may be personal taste, but not being able to hold the trigger and go was dreadful. (also, it seems the shotgun's reload couldn't be canceled mid reload unless you wish to deselect it.)

Other than those things this mod was rather fun. Melee especially was great.
Cardboard Marty

zrrion the insect wrote:Pistol sprite is too close to the center of the screen, it looked like it was pointing way off to the left.
I'll see what I can do about that, it probably won't be fixed soon but I added it to my list.
zrrion the insect wrote:Having to click once to fire the shotgun, then another time to pump it was annoying. This may be personal taste, but not being able to hold the trigger and go was dreadful. (also, it seems the shotgun's reload couldn't be canceled mid reload unless you wish to deselect it.)
The behavior of the shotgun is here to stay, but it will be more responsive by the time the next update. One of these fixes will increase the frames open to interrupt the reload, as it is indeed there, but quite tricky to activate. Thanks for the feedback!
Triple S

Post by Triple S »

Given that there's a fair amount of work in the melee system (and an entire trailer dedicated to it), it's a bit of a shame that it's kind of a major liability to use it against anything that isn't restricted to melee, or when you have a shield and your target fires airsoft rounds. It'd definitely be nice to see the melee become viable as a playstyle rather than a niche thing used because it's neat and you want to save ammo when fighting Demons.

A gamemode for it would be neat... but I think a big step toward improving melee in this game would be to give a fairly large increase to the stun time on hits. Right now I can seriously grab an enemy with the Pull attack, see them go into a pain state, then come out of it and attack me before I can hit them (or I get a hit off only for it not to trigger a pain state and I get blasted). I'd say to increase the painchance overall but that might make punching Hell Knights to death easy. Maybe make some special combo move that is risky to try but if successful puts a "debuff" on the enemy that makes them go into a painstate after every hit.
Cardboard Marty

Re: [WIP] The Space Pirate (V.0.1.1 Alpha Released!)

I've taken all of your comments and criticisms into consideration, so now we have a fresh new build!

Mirror
Version 0.1.1 (Updated 12/28/13)

New Features
  • + New Ammobox 50 Sprites!
  • + Shotgun is more responsive, allowing you to fire and pump slightly faster. It's frames for interrupting the reload have been increased as well!
  • + You can now Mag Grapple after any strings during a combo barring finishers!
  • + Melee distance has been extended!
  • + Armor values have gone back to their defaults, meaning you can take more of a beating!
    Miracle Sphere now gives 250 armor, while personal shields will take you to 300! Nice!
  • + 919m.0 has been buffed slightly and the recoil has been reduced on auto-firing mode.
  • + Zombies and Imps are now stunned for slightly longer by any melee attacks (including
    the Mag Grapple)!
  • - Nerfed zombie damages for rifle zombies, they also have a slight pause after firing.
  • - Nerfed Shotgun Guy
Please report any issues you encounter here! Fixes and suggestions graciously accepted!
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

weldone! now finally that's even more polished! and here's the thing what i wanted to tell about it for next update;
Spoiler: first is shotgun;
well i just spoiled it because of long textes. anyway, next is zombies that replaces zombieman and imps; it has a lot's of variants. so why don't you add some their abilities? such as, stronger to weaker, slower to faster and low-damages to high-damage. and i see some variants of demons has a different healths, but still i don't see different because of their same acts.

and all of weapons don't have enough bright durning firing, what's wrong about that?

i'll wait for more weapons, more fixes. i'm waiting for this wad's succession, also it's new samsara addon if that happens! :P
Cardboard Marty

I like the new shells! They'll probably make it in. However, I already have my four types chosen, but you'll probably be glad to hear that two of the types you listed are already in, so yay!

As far are the variants go, they're just supposed to be graphical changes, they do differ in health but only slightly. This was mostly just to make the game feel a bit more fresh. The Dark Eye Armor Corps (which right now only has one spawning zombie, the one that wields a Judgment Pistol and is voiced by me) will be more varied as I make the sprites for them. As for the shotgun graphic, I don't see anything wrong that warrants a fix, but who knows what I might end up doing in the future.
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

The health bonus replacements seem to jump up and down, and not in a good way. This is because on the first and last frames (A and G), the offsets are (3, 11) instead of (3, 16), which is what every other frame has. I fixed this on my local copy.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

The SMG firing sound is far too beefy for what it is, just doesnt match. Plus the pump on the shotgun feels more just lathered on rather part of the wood grip.
torridgristle

Post by torridgristle »

chronoteeth wrote:The SMG firing sound is far too beefy for what it is, just doesnt match.
I agree completely. I've revised my edit and made it poppier and higher in timbre. Seems to match at least a little better.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tlguuuwmvnahy ... maller.wav
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

well, it's is now realistic. and i found some another flaw-like facts too;

pistol has a lot's of it, when i reload quickly after empty the clip, the firing sound suddenly blocked. also pistol shots can gibs zombieman class zombies. well, only once happend, but i don't know why.

shotgun still has a vanilla accuracy; always goes width, not length.

and uzi is sure strong; it has 7 damage, full-auto, lot's of ammo spec and large-sized magazine can kill hellknight without took any damages. nerfing a damage should be works, though. also it's using a empty pistol casing also clip. i hope you can add even more magazines also casings.
Last edited by Captain J on Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

Captain J wrote: uzi does using a empty pistol casing also clip. i hope you can add even more magazines also casings.
SMGs fire pistol casings, so this makes sense. I think it's fine.
EDIT: Since there's a "Character Bios" page, I'm assuming there's going to be multiple characters in the distant future? :)
ArielBoss

Post by ArielBoss »

Captain J wrote:shotgun still has a vanilla accuracy; always goes width, not length.
I think, until we have another precision/damage gun, is good to have a sniper shotgun. And the really boom stick maybe gonna be the ssg.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

same here, but not realistic much, though(alright, i'm sorry. i'm always being an ass if realism is begging me for a help.).
TheMightyHeracross wrote:SMGs fire pistol casings, so this makes sense. I think it's fine.
yes, i know uzi and pistol calibers are almost same.

but it uses different ammos at all; pistol uses "TSPPistolAmmo" and uzi uses "AmmoBoxAmmo" also they using a different icon sprites too. and if uzi uses same casing with pistol, why not sharing ammos with pistol then?

and otherwise, maybe it was intensional. those ammos are same but their magazine is different, so you're needed to devide 'em as a different ammo. but hey, it's just a guess.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”