DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.5] [MP-B7.3]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Machine-Reaper

Re: DoomRL Arsenal - [1.05] [MP-B6.2]

Post by Machine-Reaper »

Yholl wrote:
Machine-Reaper wrote:Also as of right now will the monsters pack be updated along as well or just the arsenel?
You betcha. I'm actually working on it right now! Well, not right now, as I'm currently typing this message, BUT YOU GET THE DRIFT
Marrub and I teamed up to deploy a new Difficulty for people to play on - ADAPTIVE!
In this mode, the nasty enemy variants will become more and more common as you progress through the game, starting at UV-similar levels, and ending up at Armageddon. We currently have the first iteration of it working ingame, now we gotta fix it up and fine tune it and stuff.

And yeah, a whole bunch of new monsters, revamped monsters and other things await you in the next update.
Oh my!
You have just made my wish come true~ your the cake!
Also are monsters capabale of giving any form of drops suchs as unique items etc?
Cause in my recent game at a second map I encountered an Armageddon chaingun dude variant and he dropped an teleportation device that does all three functions and has no limit of useage.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Machine-Reaper wrote:Also are monsters capabale of giving any form of drops suchs as unique items etc?
Cause in my recent game at a second map I encountered an Armageddon chaingun dude variant and he dropped an teleportation device that does all three functions and has no limit of useage.
Nah, enemies have specific drops, and generally only zombies.
Former Shocktroopers occaisonally drop a random Phase Device, so there is a tiny chance that you could get the Experimental Phase Device from them.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

I'm already having plenty of thoughts with the new game mode.
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

Marrub wrote: Yep, for ease of balancing the difficulty I've added two CVars, which will have menu options as well.
The first is DRLA_adaptive_random_multiplier, which increases the speed at which enemies ramp up in difficulty.
The second is DRLA_adaptive_random_exponent, which decreases the ramp for which harder enemies are picked.
These seem similar, but think of an exponential curve (which it is.) The first makes the curve higher, and the second makes it curve lower.

... Shit, that still sounds like the same thing. Fuck English. I'M SURE SOMEONE WILL GET IT.
I think i can make help on understanding
Explanation
Explanation
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

No.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to graph this, so here's pseudocode that decides the enemy's level:

Code: Select all

danger = {value between 0 and 50, based on level, among other things}

// Calculate the difficulty level to use.
	// Exponentation is used for the random value to make it curve more fairly.
	rand = DRLA_adaptive_random_multiplier * random(0.01, 1.0) ^ DRLA_adaptive_random_exponent

// A reverse exponent is used to make it curve more unfairly later on.
	min = danger / 50 * random(0.0, 1.0)
	mul = random(min ^ DRLA_adaptive_random_multiplier_exponent, 1.0)

// The danger level is then mutated with this information.
	dangermod = (danger + rand) * mul

// Then we spawn the monster with that information.
   if dangermod is less than DRLA_adaptive_uv_spawn_level,
      spawn a UV monster

if dangermod is less than DRLA_adaptive_nightmare_spawn_level,
      if random(0.0, 1.0) is less than DRLA_adaptive_cybernetic_threshold,
         spawn a Nightmare monster

otherwise,
         spawn a Technophobia monster

if dangermod is more than or equal to DRLA_adaptive_nightmare_spawn_level,
      spawn an Armageddon monster
Tranthula

Post by Tranthula »

That honestly makes sense. This update is gonna be great
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

I don't know if this can help you guys but here is an Modification made of Brutal Doom called Project Brutality Mutators.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/a ... -mutators1
It contains Progression based Spawning in which Monsters of higher tiers automatically spawn in later levels and weaker monster spawning earlier levels, this also works with item/weapons etc.
you can probably get an idea on how you can make a system where Monsters spawn according to the number of levels or at Random (every map is pistol start) where more powerful monster will spawn near exit of level etc. (All of this is explained with pretty fancy images in this Description box and I also played it a long ago before RLA and it was pretty good)
austen1000

Post by austen1000 »

Will anything need to be done to update Doom RPG to be compatiable with the upcoming version of DoomRL? If so, I might take a crack at updating the master branch on Github to be compatiable.
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

I think Doom RPG is already compact with the next vergion of doomRLA since it was comented internaly.
austen1000

Post by austen1000 »

kadu522 wrote:I think Doom RPG is already compact with the next vergion of doomRLA since it was comented internaly.
How recent is this internal comment?
Last edited by austen1000 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intificial

Post by Intificial »

The new difficulty type is something I've been really desiring to put a proper challenge to the potential arsenal you can acquire in the late game but make sure the early game isn't too bloodthirsty, especially on some easier megawads for instance.
Machine-Reaper wrote:I don't know if this can help you guys but here is an Modification made of Brutal Doom called Project Brutality Mutators.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/a ... -mutators1
It contains Progression based Spawning in which Monsters of higher tiers automatically spawn in later levels and weaker monster spawning earlier levels, this also works with item/weapons etc.
you can probably get an idea on how you can make a system where Monsters spawn according to the number of levels or at Random (every map is pistol start) where more powerful monster will spawn near exit of level etc. (All of this is explained with pretty fancy images in this Description box and I also played it a long ago before RLA and it was pretty good)
Don't worry, I think they've got it down in terms of code for the new difficulty.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Since someone linked Project Brutality again Yholl and co. would probably get distracted for the day thanks to stolen assets.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Machine-Reaper wrote:I don't know if this can help you guys but here is an Modification made of Brutal Doom called Project Brutality Mutators.
We already finished ages ago, but thanks for trying to help.
Although I would point out that looking in that thing would most likely kill me stone dead, so I'm not going near it.
4thcharacter wrote:Since someone linked Project Brutality again Yholl and co. would probably get distracted for the day thanks to stolen assets.
asdkfjvbgekgsbgyfkjsrg
Actually, someone very kindly got in touch with the devs and convinced them to stop using the stolen stuff a while ago! I'm extremely grateful to them.
Well, I assume the devs did. I haven't actually looked, heh.
austen1000 wrote:How recent is this internal comment?
It's been setup for new DRLA for quite some time, and it shoooooooooould still match up when it's done. But yes, if you want to try your hand at messing around with it, go nuts! Just remember that DoomRPG is an eldritch deity of pure infinite scriptering.
Churrupez

Post by Churrupez »

Bugs: Elephant Gun doesn't have the Technician "deals 10% more damage" in the "class perks" page (or maybe the bonus is not actually applied, i don't know for sure).

Also, Assault Uzi doesn't say it haves a Sharpshooter bonus for Scout, even though it does the extra damage with him.
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

Balancing issues:

Defense Drone Launcher: A level long Drone for only 10 rockets and it allows you to make an Overmind flinch? Its over-kill, I just need nothing but 3 defense drones and my fists todo the talking now (Should probably cost 50 rockets).
Tactical Assemebler: Forget Health emplacement, oh and Floor is no longer lava!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”