DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.5] [MP-B7.3]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
CorSair

Re: [WIP] DoomRL Arsenal - Beta 3

Post by CorSair »

Pretty faithful DoomRL arsenal. Now awaiting full DoomRL TC. :D

Now, kidding aside, questions in. (I haven't read thoroughly the thread, so excuse me being ignorant.) Are you going to implement armor system? Boots and that stuff, with mods and uniques? And the leveling system?

Now just thought, but that elephant gun has pretty powerful knockback, compared to other guns. Intended?
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Slax wrote:(May wanna make the Zoom key stuff stand out more in the OP.)
Done. Hopefully this will cut down on the number of people asking on how to drop weapons.
CorSair wrote:Now, kidding aside, questions in. (I haven't read thoroughly the thread, so excuse me being ignorant.) Are you going to implement armor system? Boots and that stuff, with mods and uniques? And the leveling system?
I will be adding many new armors, but I'm still not sure on the best way to go about implementing them, what with Dooms standard "Oh this thing has more durability than your current armor, REPLAAAACED." It is bothering me.
Boots are unlikely. I can think of one kinda weird way of implementing boots, but I'm not sure if I could get any actual effects or damage reduction from doing so. If I think of a way, or someone comes up with one, I'll put them in.
Another problem I have is trying to get infinite durability on armor, for exotics that are invulnerable, as well as modding with an Onyx modpack. I have no idea if this is even possible. Regardless, Onyx mods will be the only ones to work on armor.
Leveling system is not gonna happen, this mod is already super hyper complex, and a leveling system would also likely require ACS, which I cannot use.

Basically, in short, most of this is me sitting here going "how i even do"
CorSair wrote:Now just thought, but that elephant gun has pretty powerful knockback, compared to other guns. Intended?
Totally. Many people thought it was worthless compared to a standard shotgun, so I gave it all the worlds punch. I do enjoy that gun, though.
CorSair

Post by CorSair »

Yholl wrote:Basically, in short, most of this is me sitting here going "how i even do"
Heh. In any event, no rush. :P

You might want to know that weapons crate is bit finicky, since it can effectively block players. Can hinder progress or block secret. Or, if it is placed wrong, like in some corner, and weapon drops just far enough not to be able to grab it. Also, plasmatic double shotgun doesn't produce sound. :/
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

CorSair wrote:You might want to know that weapons crate is bit finicky, since it can effectively block players. Can hinder progress or block secret. Or, if it is placed wrong, like in some corner, and weapon drops just far enough not to be able to grab it.
Yeah, not being able to reach items can be a problem, but you generally should be able to get at least one of them in most situations. The supply box doesn't block you when it's opened, but I might change it so that it doesn't block you at all period.
CorSair wrote:Also, plasmatic double shotgun doesn't produce sound. :/
You sure? I just went around blatting the forces of darkness with it, and it made all the correct firing and reloading sounds.
Triple S

Post by Triple S »

Yholl wrote: I will be adding many new armors, but I'm still not sure on the best way to go about implementing them, what with Dooms standard "Oh this thing has more durability than your current armor, REPLAAAACED." It is bothering me.

Any armor pickups (aside from armor shards because duh) could become inventory items, like in Genesis Saga Aurora or DoomRPG. Using them gives you the equivalent armor and a CustomInventory item that could have mods applied to it. The CustomInventory item would vanish upon losing the armor or equipping a different one, taking the bonuses away. Assembling a custom armor type would take your armor and the inventory item, then give you the new special armor in your inventory. Obviously easier said than done, but it's a good outline.

Boots are unlikely. I can think of one kinda weird way of implementing boots, but I'm not sure if I could get any actual effects or damage reduction from doing so. If I think of a way, or someone comes up with one, I'll put them in.

CustomInventory abuse could pull it off pretty well.

Another problem I have is trying to get infinite durability on armor, for exotics that are invulnerable, as well as modding with an Onyx modpack. I have no idea if this is even possible. Regardless, Onyx mods will be the only ones to work on armor.

Any infinite-durability armor could be toggled from the inventory, and a CustomInventory item could just keep the armor value at max so it never breaks while equipped. The only way I can think of to do armor modding without dipping into ACS is to only allow modding of equipped armor.
Replies in bold and italics because splitting quotes up can be annoying.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Triple S wrote:Any armor pickups (aside from armor shards because duh) could become inventory items, like in Genesis Saga Aurora or DoomRPG. Using them gives you the equivalent armor and a CustomInventory item that could have mods applied to it. The CustomInventory item would vanish upon losing the armor or equipping a different one, taking the bonuses away. Assembling a custom armor type would take your armor and the inventory item, then give you the new special armor in your inventory. Obviously easier said than done, but it's a good outline.
Yup yup, that is what I intend to do.
Triple S wrote:CustomInventory abuse could pull it off pretty well.
Could you elaborate on this?
Triple S wrote:Any infinite-durability armor could be toggled from the inventory, and a CustomInventory item could just keep the armor value at max so it never breaks while equipped. The only way I can think of to do armor modding without dipping into ACS is to only allow modding of equipped armor.
Again, how in the world can a CustomInventory item keep the armor at max in a manner that cannot be broken?

Alright, after much brainstorming, I've only really got two last problems.
  • 1 - I can only think of one way for boots to give bonus stats (or penalties) at this time, and it is extremely hacky and unpleasant, involving editing the player's spawn state quite a bit to give powerups. I'd rather have a cleaner, more efficient method, but I cannot think of one. I'll probably end up doing this anyway. Infinite durability armor will also work in the same fashion.
    2 - The method of damage reduction of Doom armors are different from DoomRL armors. If a DoomRL armor has 90% fire resistance, it'll take piss-all damage from fire, same with you. If a Doom armor has 90% fire resist, it only applies it to the damage you take after the armor absorbs damage normally. I am unsure what to do about this, but it is mostly irrelevant right now as I am still considering whether or not to start adapting damage types to enemy attacks, which will break their compatibility with special effect enhancer mods.
I'm glad I can just mentally code DECORATE in my sleep, that's how I made this entire mod.
Triple S

Post by Triple S »

I'm pretty sure a CustomInventory item can manage powerups, right? Well when an item with a special effect is activated (boots, for example), a CustomInventory item could be given that maintains a powerup. Just granting a powerup effect upon item use wouldn't work since those don't stay through maps, but inventory items do... and as such it could grant you the powerup as long as it is present.

CustomInventory keeping indestructible armor at max... could abuse regeneration effects and checking to see if you have armor equipped at all (in case you manage to take enough damage to outright nuke the armor, it'll fix it). Or it could just constantly check to see if you have full armor and if not it grants you the armor in full. Of course, I may be thinking CustomInventory has more power than it actually does. Either way, I'm not sure if armor will absorb damage in full even if it is destroyed... if not, indestructible armor could grant its protections via powerup, the armor itself not actually doing anything aside from showing up in the status bar.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Triple S wrote:I'm pretty sure a CustomInventory item can manage powerups, right? Well when an item with a special effect is activated (boots, for example), a CustomInventory item could be given that maintains a powerup. Just granting a powerup effect upon item use wouldn't work since those don't stay through maps, but inventory items do... and as such it could grant you the powerup as long as it is present.

CustomInventory keeping indestructible armor at max... could abuse regeneration effects and checking to see if you have armor equipped at all (in case you manage to take enough damage to outright nuke the armor, it'll fix it). Or it could just constantly check to see if you have full armor and if not it grants you the armor in full. Of course, I may be thinking CustomInventory has more power than it actually does. Either way, I'm not sure if armor will absorb damage in full even if it is destroyed... if not, indestructible armor could grant its protections via powerup, the armor itself not actually doing anything aside from showing up in the status bar.
Ah, I understand now. The reason why I've been so utterly confused by what you've been saying is your use of CustomInventory specifically. As an example, the only CustomInventory items in this mod are the modpacks themselves, nothing else. CustomInventory items can do things when you pick them up, and they can be selected in your inventory and used there, but the rest of the stuff you're saying they cannot do at all. Inventory items (which are different) can be used to track stuff, but cannot bestow effects by themselves, as they have no frames or properties to do so with. Mmm, anyway, I think I've more or less mentally outlined what I'll be doing in regards to this, now I've just gotta work out the fine details. Like stacking movement speeds and penalties properly. Should be fun/horrifying.

Heh, when I read your previous message, my brain imploded and I had to go to sleep.
commander

Post by commander »

I'm waiting for a TC....
NantoCodd

Post by NantoCodd »

Excuse me, but as a technician, how to break weapon into modpack?
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

NantoCodd wrote:Excuse me, but as a technician, how to break weapon into modpack?
Press Zoom once, then press Altfire to turn it into a modpack. I just checked, and apparently some weapons (Plasma Shotgun for instance) may not be able to be scrapped right now, but that'll be fixed in the Beta 4.
NantoCodd

Post by NantoCodd »

Thank you!
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

I took a look at your weapon DECORATE, and I noticed that the clip actors for each weapon lack an +IGNORESKILL flag. You should use this flag to avoid over-reloading weapons such as the combat shotgun on skills 0 and 5.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

What would I have to modify in SLADE to change the way the combat shotgun reloads? Holding down the button feels a bit too awkward for me while in combat.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Wivicer wrote:I took a look at your weapon DECORATE, and I noticed that the clip actors for each weapon lack an +IGNORESKILL flag. You should use this flag to avoid over-reloading weapons such as the combat shotgun on skills 0 and 5.
Mmm, will do whenever I get around to doing Beta 4. Thanks for the reminder.
-Ghost- wrote:What would I have to modify in SLADE to change the way the combat shotgun reloads? Holding down the button feels a bit too awkward for me while in combat.
Do you have an older version of DoomRL Arsenal? You could simply replace the combat shotgun decorate lump with this old one, I believe, and it would be reverted to pre-button holding reload.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”