DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.5] [MP-B7.3]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Viscra Maelstrom

Re: DoomRL Arsenal - [1.05] [MP-B6.2]

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

that's what the red lightning was for? i assumed it was something like a short-range lightning attack. i'll have to make sure not to pop super-damaging attacks on him in the future.
Tormuse

Post by Tormuse »

Hi everyone! :)

I haven't played with this mod in a while... 3 and a half years, in fact! O_o I see that there have been major changes to DRL Arsenal in that time; awesome! :D Well, I decided to download it again the other day and capture my experience with the new version in a video, which I present, unedited, here. (On a homemade map that I designed) :)

There's so much new stuff that I don't even know what to comment on, but I guess my reactions in the video speak for themselves. :D (The video ends abruptly because my recording software crashed, but it was just over an hour, so I think it's just as well) I love all the new randomized monsters; they kept me guessing about what was coming next. Kudos to Yholl and his team for all the work they've put into this! :)
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:that's what the red lightning was for? i assumed it was something like a short-range lightning attack. i'll have to make sure not to pop super-damaging attacks on him in the future.
I'll probably change it to something else, it's really vague and not obvious at all what it's even doing.
Tormuse wrote:I haven't played with this mod in a while... 3 and a half years, in fact! O_o I see that there have been major changes to DRL Arsenal in that time; awesome!
Oooh, yeah, I bet! Glad to see you're having fun with it, be sure to check the main post to learn any cool new features, like holding Reload to strip ammo from guns you can't pick up, etc.

Nice video, you're pretty damn good at dodging. I tend to be somewhat suicidal in my fighting, heh.
I am greatly amused you forgot you had a Nuclear Plasma Rifle for so long, hahahaha.
Tormuse wrote:Kudos to Yholl and his team for all the work they've put into this! :)
Thanks! This project would not be anywhere near what it is today without the people making cool stuff for it, I'm mostly a focal point for putting it together, heh.
Tormuse

Post by Tormuse »

Yholl wrote:Oooh, yeah, I bet! Glad to see you're having fun with it, be sure to check the main post to learn any cool new features, like holding Reload to strip ammo from guns you can't pick up, etc.
Cool, good to know; it might have helped me with my ammo troubles in that first run-through. (that, and remembering the Nuclear Plasma Rifle) :P I see now that there are a lot of features I didn't know about during that video! :o Discovering that the equipment screen has multiple pages was a big help too! :) (The Demolitionist has Fireangel? No wonder I was surviving all those explosions!) :D That's what I get for trying to avoid spoilers, I guess. :oops:
Yholl wrote:Nice video, you're pretty damn good at dodging. I tend to be somewhat suicidal in my fighting, heh.
Thanks... if only I'd been better at dodging those demons in the Wolfenstein section; I could have gotten to the really cool part of the level; I built a really dramatic reveal for the Cyberdemon. :) Oh well... maybe I'll make another video at some point. :) Thanks for watching! :D

I've played around with it some more and I'm continually impressed by how polished and seamless everything looks, both in the player's equipment and in the monsters, and I like the randomization in the monsters, how some are occasionally phasing or teleporting or something, so they don't show up when I expect them. It keeps things tense and interesting and makes it so no two playthroughs are the same. I think my favourite enemy out of the bunch is the Cacobyss; just when you think you've won, that energy sphere thing brings it back. The effect is awesome! :D And I have to say the design for the Nightmare Mastermind is just bat-shit insane! O_o (In a good way!) :D

All that being said, I hope you don't mind me pointing out a minor bug... This has probably been pointed out before, (I'm not planning to read through 357 pages) :) but at the start of the game, in the Choose Skill Level screen, the text doesn't line up with the position of the selection skull thing on the left. (I suspect this has to do with the text size of the new difficulty levels being different) It really is a minor visual thing, but I have to imagine that it's something that might give new players a bad impression, considering that it's the very first thing they see, so someone might want to fix that. (Or is the positioning of the skull hard-coded into the Doom engine or something?)

Anyway, highly awesome mod. I'm gonna go play with it some more. :D
Tanksy

Post by Tanksy »

Yholl wrote:like holding Reload to strip ammo from guns you can't pick up
:shock:
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Tormuse wrote:but at the start of the game, in the Choose Skill Level screen, the text doesn't line up with the position of the selection skull thing on the left.
That's due to Nightmare! being so tall compared to the others, not much I can do about it without replacement text.

Thinking about it, I should replace the menu graphics there entirely, like I did with the playerclass select screen in the next update.
Tanksy

Post by Tanksy »

Is that going to be yet another addition to use as an excuse to slow the next release? :wink:
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Tanksy wrote:Is that going to be yet another addition to use as an excuse to slow the next release? :wink:
If he wanted a to REALLY delay it, all he has to do is announce that the project will be redone in zscript, then he has an excuse that will last till the end of existence.

"Hey guys I know the universe ended and all, but look! It's finally converted the project to zscript!"
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

insightguy wrote: If he wanted a to REALLY delay it, all he has to do is announce that the project will be redone in zscript, then he has an excuse that will last till the end of existence.

"Hey guys I know the universe ended and all, but look! It's finally converted the project to zscript!"
I don't think there would me need to do that anymore since GZDoom 3.2 makes most old stuff compatible with it now (Save for custom menus in options) so in future if the Port itself updates to support old mods properly then there would be no need.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

quick question, is there a console command i can enter to remove or add weapon tokens, armor tokens etc. to the counter? there's a few ZDoom mapsets that likes to fiddle with your inventory, which means you can have more weapon tokens than you have actual weapons.
Tanksy

Post by Tanksy »

Should be, as the tokens are just inventory items..
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Tanksy wrote:Is that going to be yet another addition to use as an excuse to slow the next release? :wink:
fite me
insightguy wrote:If he wanted a to REALLY delay it, all he has to do is announce that the project will be redone in zscript, then he has an excuse that will last till the end of existence.
No thanks, I choose life and sanity.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom wrote:quick question, is there a console command i can enter to remove or add weapon tokens, armor tokens etc. to the counter?
Take or Give RLWeaponLimit. RLArmorInInventory for armors.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Serious question, if somone made a decorate to zscript converter, will you attempt to redo the messy parts of the script (like the rocket launcher) or will you just not bother?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

insightguy wrote:Serious question, if somone made a decorate to zscript converter, will you attempt to redo the messy parts of the script (like the rocket launcher) or will you just not bother?
Knowing how converters like that have operated in the past, it'd arguably require more cleanup after conversion than it'd take to rewrite it from the ground up.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

wildweasel wrote:
insightguy wrote:Serious question, if somone made a decorate to zscript converter, will you attempt to redo the messy parts of the script (like the rocket launcher) or will you just not bother?
Knowing how converters like that have operated in the past, it'd arguably require more cleanup after conversion than it'd take to rewrite it from the ground up.
Wouldn't the converter (Some people said that Graf was making one but I'm too afraid to ask him, he's a busy man) just change the syntax slightly? Like adding semicolons to new places, and not mess with the original code? I mean, using inventory as variables can still work, it's just that it's not as necessary due to weapons now being able to store variables right? I mean, at least from what I've seen, decorate's syntax is not that far from zscript's.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”