DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.5] [MP-B7.3]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheEternalStruggler

Re: DoomRL Arsenal - [1.05] [MP-B6.2]

Post by TheEternalStruggler »

Yholl wrote: Thanks for the kind words.
And yes, as everyone worked out instantly from my description earlier, yeah, the Dragonslayer is indeed currently on my todo list. It's one of only two new weapons in 1.1.

And yeah, it's... daunting. I still don't know exactly how I'll end up handling such a giant thing. Do I make it just slice through everything regardless? Do I make it massively powerful, but almost unusable in a cramped area where it'll just hit walls when swinging? It's really really goddamn big. And yes, it would make a big clang noise, it's a giant slab of metal.
Oh that's awesome!

Eh, I feel you should make it clip in cramped areas as a sort of in-joke (referencing the PS2 version of Berserk which made it clip, because the Dreamcast had it clang off walls.) Awesome! :D I mean the clang noise was sorta joke referencing the infamous 2016 anime adaptation *shudders* We don't speak about it! :evil:

I mean I guess you make it slice through everything regardless. It is the Dragonslayer. I'm sure you'll make it hard to find or something, and IDK if you're going to include the Berserker Armor as well (because THAT sounds like a bitch to code.)

So yeah. :P Just my $0.02.

Also senpai noticed me! :lol:
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

TheEternalStruggler wrote:I'm sure you'll make it hard to find or something, and IDK if you're going to include the Berserker Armor as well (because THAT sounds like a bitch to code.)
Fun fact: The Berserker Armor has actually technically been in the game since the first armor update. It has no sprite, no special effects, and doesn't spawn, but it's there. And yes, it will appear along with the Dragonslayer in 1.1.

I said I'd have cool stuff to show soon, but I didn't think it would be so fast, heh.
A preview of the DRLA 1.1 main menu. The right screen will have information about the latest big content update going forward, but obviously we haven't done that yet.
Unless we come up with something super cool to put there instead, I guess.
TheEternalStruggler

Post by TheEternalStruggler »

Yholl wrote:
TheEternalStruggler wrote:I'm sure you'll make it hard to find or something, and IDK if you're going to include the Berserker Armor as well (because THAT sounds like a bitch to code.)
Fun fact: The Berserker Armor has actually technically been in the game since the first armor update. It has no sprite, no special effects, and doesn't spawn, but it's there. And yes, it will appear along with the Dragonslayer in 1.1.

I said I'd have cool stuff to show soon, but I didn't think it would be so fast, heh.
A preview of the DRLA 1.1 main menu. The right screen will have information about the latest big content update going forward, but obviously we haven't done that yet.
Unless we come up with something super cool to put there instead, I guess.

That's cool! I'm hoping you can find the right sprites and sound effects. :)

Oh that's awesome! I'm really digging the new main menu. It reminds me of the Jurassic Park arcade game for some reason; not that it's a bad thing. I loved the hell out of that growing up as a kid back when arcades used to be a thing.

17 now, but hell I miss the old days when arcades were a thing.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the update! Hopefully it'll be out by Christmas or New Year's! It'd be a nice Christmas gift/New Year's present! :D
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

The new menu also looks like a menu of an old game. Maybe from an old RTS or FPS game?

I like it. If it could not contain changelogs that lists pretty big things, why not future updates or game tips? Or some random tidbit?

Spoiler: A confidential question
Crimsondrgn

Post by Crimsondrgn »

Question, maybe I'm just being dumb and not seeing it, but checking in game and checking the first post, I don't see the specifics of how the armor system works, is it a starting percent damage reduction, then adding the other percents on top of that for specific damage types?

Combat armor for instance, is it 30% protection against all attacks, then adding 20% more vs. plasma?

Also from what I'm seeing with the PDA system for the menus, it looks like a MASSIVE improvement over the current release version, It may very well eat all of my time when it comes out just because I like fiddling around with such things.
worldendDominator

Post by worldendDominator »

Crimsondrgn wrote:Question, maybe I'm just being dumb and not seeing it, but checking in game and checking the first post, I don't see the specifics of how the armor system works, is it a starting percent damage reduction, then adding the other percents on top of that for specific damage types?

Combat armor for instance, is it 30% protection against all attacks, then adding 20% more vs. plasma?

Also from what I'm seeing with the PDA system for the menus, it looks like a MASSIVE improvement over the current release version, It may very well eat all of my time when it comes out just because I like fiddling around with such things.
From [wiki]Classes:BasicArmorPickup[/wiki]:
In addition, the DamageFactor property can be used to make protective armors (or potentially, cursed armors). The armor first absorbs damage normally, as determined by its SavePercent, MaxAbsorb and MaxFullAbsorb properties, and the damage factor is applied to the remaining damage. In doing so, the damage factor does not protect the armor itself, but only the wearer.
Crimsondrgn

Post by Crimsondrgn »

My brain may not be picking up on this very fast, but would that mean combat armor would absorb 30% damage, then 20% more of what was left from the plasma damage?
worldendDominator

Post by worldendDominator »

It would absorb 30%, and reduce the rest by 20%. For example, if you took 50 plasma damage, the armor would lose 50×30% = 15 points, and remaining 35 damage would be reduced by 20% (so by 7), so you would lose 28 health. The 20% reduction does not hurt your armor, that damage is simply gone.

In general, it seems to me that the higher overall protection is, the less significant individual factors are.
Crimsondrgn

Post by Crimsondrgn »

Ok, I think I have it sorted in my head, so the standard non-specific protection works like normal Doom armor, then the damage type resistances cut into what's left that hits health directly?

If so I've been thinking about how it works wrong the entire time I've played this mod.

I've also assumed that boots add their protection percent to the standard protection of the armor, is that true?

I feel like this might need a specific mention in the PDA info to clarify it easily for people who don't know that kind of thing.

I also now feel a bit dumb for all that.
DarkTalon25

Post by DarkTalon25 »

Crimsondrgn wrote:I've also assumed that boots add their protection percent to the standard protection of the armor, is that true?
Nope. Boot Protection covers the damage you take from acid/lava floors.
Crimsondrgn

Post by Crimsondrgn »

That was my second guess, I figured that would be right or you could get too much armor protection too easy.
Tranthula

Post by Tranthula »

I really dig the new hud, sleek and good lookin'. And two new weapons?! Woot!
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

TheEternalStruggler wrote:Anyway, I'm looking forward to the update! Hopefully it'll be out by Christmas or New Year's! It'd be a nice Christmas gift/New Year's present! :D
I'll try, but I wouldn't count on it.
4thcharacter wrote:The new menu also looks like a menu of an old game. Maybe from an old RTS or FPS game?
Got the right sorta idea, just wrong category. It's based off of the old shooter game, Raptor: Call of the Shadows.
4thcharacter wrote:
Spoiler: A confidential question
Spoiler: answerino
Crimsondrgn wrote:Also from what I'm seeing with the PDA system for the menus, it looks like a MASSIVE improvement over the current release version, It may very well eat all of my time when it comes out just because I like fiddling around with such things.
It really really really really is. It has singlehandedly saved progress on DRLA. Without it, not only would I be dealing with a terrifying lovecraftian set of Strife HUD pages, but I also had limits on how many assemblies of each category I could add.

With the PDA, I have no limits on developing new things.
Although the PDA is made of super science I don't understand even slightly, so I do have to work out how to add stuff to it easily now, hahahahah.
Crimsondrgn wrote:Ok, I think I have it sorted in my head, so the standard non-specific protection works like normal Doom armor, then the damage type resistances cut into what's left that hits health directly?
Yup, ye got it.
Tranthula wrote:I really dig the new hud, sleek and good lookin'.
Good to hear!
lwks

Post by lwks »

Yholl wrote:It really really really really is. It has singlehandedly saved progress on DRLA. Without it, not only would I be dealing with a terrifying lovecraftian set of Strife HUD pages, but I also had limits on how many assemblies of each category I could add.
Is it safe to assume that we'll be getting a new control scheme for the itens? Becuse the current one is not very intuitive. (Or it may be because I'm slow, I don't know)
NathanVPer

Post by NathanVPer »

Hey, Yholl, some more info, it happens when the plasma ball of the BFG shoots a small group, it closes the game, but it still the music and that, that's all I can tell you about it because it doesn't shows an error screen to copy the error. OR that only happens to me, i don't know, i am not expert on errors

Return to “Gameplay Mods”