DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.5] [MP-B7.3]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Yholl

Re: DoomRL Arsenal - [1.05] [MP-B6.2]

Post by Yholl »

KILLER2 wrote:Making the next release into a huge deal on every forum with some nice YT trailers springled in could make a TON more people interested, which this mod totally deserves. YHOLL, DO EET!
Yeah, but I quite literally do not care about popularity. I make mods because I like the idea of something, and decide to see what I can do with it, it's just a hobby for me. If people end up liking what I've done, great! I'm glad they enjoy it. I'll often go out of my way to do changes and alterations to things so people will enjoy it better. But I've got no interest in trying to go gather up a swarm of people just to play my stuff and praise me or whatever.

Also I don't actually have any video editing software, heh. I think PillowBlaster offered to make a 1.1 trailer for me when it's done, though, can't remember. If he did I'll take him up on that.
4thcharacter wrote:A commenter asked him if he has a feud with this mod's author and... I somewhat think that's the case.
That is infinitely unlikely, as we've never spoken, and he's also streamed Final Doomer.
And to all of you, please do not angrily call Mr. Icarus out for not playing certain things, or not doing things correctly. He can play whatever he wants, however he wants, that is his choice.
KILLER2 wrote:He's showcased garbage like HDoom and Nature's Call
Please do not call other mods garbage just because you don't like them.
KILLER2 wrote:Well, what I meant is it doesn't work in Zandronum.
Then you should've said that. Every one of my mods is designed for multiplayer, and I play multiplayer in them quite a lot.
Stating something blatantly untrue may give false impressions to people.
Tanksy wrote:It should work in Zandro with the right versions
Maybe. It's really not designed for it though, nothing has +CLIENTSIDEONLY, for instance.

In other news, Ryan_Cordell and I started work on the replacement test map. Hopefully it'll turn out super cool, I don't have much confidence in my mapping abilities, heh.
Quake161

Post by Quake161 »

Getting a script error with ZDOOM 2.8.1
Script error, "doomrl_arsenal_1.05.wad:DEC_FIST" line 4:
Unexpected '1900' in definition of 'RLFistRedux'
shadstarn

Post by shadstarn »

i am new to zdl forums can you tell me is this a new update or same ? i cant distinguish if its updated the mod itself the download file or not? or will there be an entire new post? or will all fines come in the first page of this post?
ToxicFrog
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): NixOS

Post by ToxicFrog »

shadstarn wrote:i am new to zdl forums can you tell me is this a new update or same ? i cant distinguish if its updated the mod itself the download file or not? or will there be an entire new post? or will all fines come in the first page of this post?
This was just discussed last page. The mod has not been updated recently; version 1.05 is still the most recent version. Yholl is working on version 1.1. When 1.1 is released, a post will be made announcing it, the thread title will be updated to say "1.1" instead of "1.05", and the links in the OP will be updated.
Bubuche

Post by Bubuche »

An other bug I forgot to mention ... but I am still not sure I want to talk about it, as it's a pretty usefull bug :P

When you use Onyx mod on a medic armor, you somehow keep the "healing ability" of the non-modded armor.
I mean by that that you can
1) put a medic armor
2) onyx mod it
3) remove it
4) put, for example, a nuclear armor.
5) profit. You have both the healing ability and the fast resupply for your nuclear weapons.

It seems that there is some thing that can "break" this bug, i.e. remove the remaining healing power, but It's not clear which manipulation does that.
And I always activate the non-modded armor before I mod it, so it's maybe a mandatory step.

Also, the Mysterious Magnum modify the content of supply crate. But you likely already know this, and I am not sure if it's a bug or not.
The content of those crate seems to also be modified by burning flammes, and even player speed. It's hard so say for this last one.

The lightweaver gun is ... dangerous. I mean IRL. I am pretty sure it can cause epileptic attack. I am not sure what can be done about it. Best would be a modification of the luminosity not using blinking stuff. Or a warning. I don't know. I am not criticizing, I mean, at all. I am worry about that and stay away from this weapon (which is sad, it's a fun weapon, and especially usefull when correctly modded, can replace a so rare backpack-you-know-what-i-mean).

The gauss rifle (and the other raygun i don't remember the name) can cull the nightmare cacodemon (the one with a spark floating around and resurecting it). And this demon doesn't take damage from other energy weapon, it can be considered as a bug, but maybe it's on purpose.

Demolitionist dies from nuclear barrel. Well, it's understandable , but its description blablabla ... :D

BFG guns, and by this I mean all bfg gun has a ... counterintuitive comportement. I never played the original doom (shame on me) so it may come from here.
But the bfg will do damage only if the ennemy are in view, and i mean by that are in you field of view, like in front of you. If you are looking up or down => no damage for enemies, even if they are close to you, even if the projectile impact near them. You can't shoot-and-cover for the same reason.
And if the projectile itself is out of view, it does no damage (no 100% times, but often).
Direct impact seem to always damage.
I may be considered heretic, but ... what about a bfg with the comportement of the bfg in the new doom ?

And now some complaining stuff.
Talking about bfg ... (and it's not a bug, but i have to say it) some weapon are ... well, underpowered would be a too kind term. BFG 10k sucks ten k times.
Some weapon may benefit from a new design. The plasma rifle look way too mush like a d*ck ( if you are not circumcised ) and as much I like the idea of shooting plasma balls with my weiner it's a bit strange nonetheless. The RC-P90 and it's high power version have really awesome sound (especially the reloading sound of the high power version oh yeah) and a nice shooting sound too but the design is not nearly as good.
Some weapon sprite are misleading about where they are firing. It's hard to describe, but it's visible on the high power battle rifle, or on the vanguard. It's maybe me, but my eye imagine them shooting way lower than where they actually shoot.
An iron sight on the battle rifle ? Yeah, this mod is not brutal doom but ... why not ? The iron sight thingy is always pretty cool.
A backpack specialized in weapons transportation ? Like with it you can have two more weapon with you.
A backpack specialized in mod transportation ?
A healing backpack ? (like to 50 hp + increase health regeneration speed for healing armor + increase health recovery for items).
KILLER2

Post by KILLER2 »

Bubuche wrote: BFG guns, and by this I mean all bfg gun has a ... counterintuitive comportement. I never played the original doom (shame on me) so it may come from here.
But the bfg will do damage only if the ennemy are in view, and i mean by that are in you field of view, like in front of you. If you are looking up or down => no damage for enemies, even if they are close to you, even if the projectile impact near them. You can't shoot-and-cover for the same reason.
And if the projectile itself is out of view, it does no damage (no 100% times, but often).
Direct impact seem to always damage.
I may be considered heretic, but ... what about a bfg with the comportement of the bfg in the new doom ?
The BFG is working as it does in the original Doom games, yes. If you want something more fancy, get a Zeus Cannon. Or even a Mother in Law, that thing is basically a BFG-like weapon with infinite ammo. Some mods on the Baron Blaster may also do the trick IIRC. No need to change an already established weapon and a staple of the Doom game.
Bubuche wrote: And now some complaining stuff.
Now that's a lot of stuff...I'll address it I guess.
Bubuche wrote:Talking about bfg ... (and it's not a bug, but i have to say it) some weapon are ... well, underpowered would be a too kind term. BFG 10k sucks ten k times.
I've never had the BFG10K, but a lot of green-tier weapons require a special mod (firestorm, sniper or nano) to become trully effective. This is intended, as the weapons aren't super-rare like the legendaries, so just finding a weapon to become OP with a pretty high chance would be boring. That being said, a higher base accuaracy or damage wouldn't hurt.
Bubuche wrote:Some weapon may benefit from a new design. The plasma rifle look way too mush like a d*ck ( if you are not circumcised ) and as much I like the idea of shooting plasma balls with my weiner it's a bit strange nonetheless.
The plasma rifle is the original weapon from Doom. If anything, the original rocket launcher has the most penile look according to most people, however most of us are mature enough to not be distracted by such nonsense. Also, these are weapons. They are made to be functional, not look pretty. War is war, not a beauty contest (also it never changes or somesuch).
Bubuche wrote:The RC-P90 and it's high power version have really awesome sound (especially the reloading sound of the high power version oh yeah) and a nice shooting sound too but the design is not nearly as good.
As for some sprites not looking good enough, do you even know how many weapons this mod has? You can't expect every sprite to look Eriance-level. Also, there is something to be said about the orange and low-tier weapons as well. All the orange weapons are supposed to be really old weapons repurposed by UAC (or smuggled), and all the weaker guns are mass-produced. Obviously the quality is going to suffer. If anything I'd say it's brilliant that the orange weapons have an uglier, old-style look to them.
Bubuche wrote:Some weapon sprite are misleading about where they are firing. It's hard to describe, but it's visible on the high power battle rifle, or on the vanguard. It's maybe me, but my eye imagine them shooting way lower than where they actually shoot.
An iron sight on the battle rifle ? Yeah, this mod is not brutal doom but ... why not ? The iron sight thingy is always pretty cool.
(G)Zdoom has the ability to use a crosshair which will tell you exactly where you are shooting. Iron sights are not "always cool", in fact I personally hate them and most people who play this game do. Also, do you even understand how long it would take to make sprites for all the weapons that would have to use a crosshair (all the battle rifle variants, some of the pistols etc. Again, there are a LOT of weapons in this mod)? Not happening.
Bubuche wrote:A backpack specialized in weapons transportation ? Like with it you can have two more weapon with you.
A healing backpack ? (like to 50 hp + increase health regeneration speed for healing armor + increase health recovery for items).
Those could be pretty cool if they were rare enough I guess. They'd definitely break the balance of the game, but most rare drops already do that (hello Infinity BFG).
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Hey, Hunting Revolver's looking good to me. It's simple looking in a way that I like and it's deadly. HP variant makes it usable even by other classes. Now imagine if the Dual assembly's out... Yeehaw!

Also, it's the first time I've seen someone tell that the Plasma Rifle looks like a dick. If anything it looks like a blower/vacuum toaster hybrid to me. That one assembly with the silver body only emphasizes that. The original rocket launcher's pickup sprite, I can understand that.

As for the weapon and modpack limit increasing backpack, I think it's a good idea if it's not a clusterfuck to implement, but make the difference only minimal by only upping the limit up to 1 or 2, but that's kinda pushing it. Maybe not for the modpacks. Medical backpack is confirmed according to Yholl.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i never thought of it that way, but it kind of makes sense that the "superior" line of weapons are older, rarer guns that don't have the same support for moddability and flexibility as the lower-tier guns do, but are stronger because of the way they're designed.

i wouldn't say that things like the infinity BFG breaks the game, because you're incredibly unlikely to run across one in the game. when you do, yeah, it does do that, but don't count on it appearing anytime soon.
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:i never thought of it that way, but it kind of makes sense that the "superior" line of weapons are older, rarer guns that don't have the same support for moddability and flexibility as the lower-tier guns do, but are stronger because of the way they're designed.

i wouldn't say that things like the infinity BFG breaks the game, because you're incredibly unlikely to run across one in the game. when you do, yeah, it does do that, but don't count on it appearing anytime soon.
Nuclear Bfg with nuclear armour is the same thing with slight delay
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Even less so if you're a Demo. But that delay could change everything.

I agree with the BFG10K needing a buff, somewhat. It was pretty weak when I used it. Haven't tried it as a Marine and f-modding it or as a Demo though. But yeah, it still kinda feels weak despite being a BFG and moreso if you've handled the Skulltag version of it.
Bubuche

Post by Bubuche »

KILLER2 wrote: The BFG is working as it does in the original Doom games, yes. If you want something more fancy, get a Zeus Cannon. Or even a Mother in Law, that thing is basically a BFG-like weapon with infinite ammo. Some mods on the Baron Blaster may also do the trick IIRC. No need to change an already established weapon and a staple of the Doom game.
But Mother-in-law does damage to you. I don't remember zeus canon.
KILLER2 wrote: I've never had the BFG10K, but a lot of green-tier weapons require a special mod (firestorm, sniper or nano) to become trully effective. This is intended, as the weapons aren't super-rare like the legendaries, so just finding a weapon to become OP with a pretty high chance would be boring. That being said, a higher base accuaracy or damage wouldn't hurt.
And it does damage to you. And it's an energy weapon, so you'll never bet overpowered as ammo are generally pretty rare.

KILLER2 wrote: he plasma rifle is the original weapon from Doom. If anything, the original rocket launcher has the most penile look according to most people, however most of us are mature enough to not be distracted by such nonsense. Also, these are weapons. They are made to be functional, not look pretty. War is war, not a beauty contest (also it never changes or somesuch).
Almost every modded version of it has a better design. The high power has a very nice design.
KILLER2 wrote: As for some sprites not looking good enough, do you even know how many weapons this mod has? You can't expect every sprite to look Eriance-level. Also, there is something to be said about the orange and low-tier weapons as well. All the orange weapons are supposed to be really old weapons repurposed by UAC (or smuggled), and all the weaker guns are mass-produced. Obviously the quality is going to suffer. If anything I'd say it's brilliant that the orange weapons have an uglier, old-style look to them
Hmm, ok.
I may try to create some sprite myself if it can help.
KILLER2 wrote: (G)Zdoom has the ability to use a crosshair which will tell you exactly where you are shooting.
Yes, and it's what that make these weapons usable. Never look at the weapon, focus on the red dot.

KILLER2 wrote: Iron sights are not "always cool", in fact I personally hate them and most people who play this game do. Also, do you even understand how long it would take to make sprites for all the weapons that would have to use a crosshair (all the battle rifle variants, some of the pistols etc. Again, there are a LOT of weapons in this mod)? Not happening.
I was thinking about white weapons. And especially about battle rifle, as a sprite for iron sight already exists in brutal doom and this weapon does not have a secondary fire.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

Machine-Reaper wrote:Nuclear Bfg with nuclear armour is the same thing with slight delay
not really, considering the delay is a couple seconds long, which keeps you from autofiring it everywhere, and it requires you to wear subpar armor unless you're lucky enough to get part of the Nuclear Power Armor set, making you more vulnerable. it only really applies for demoman, and i find it personally better to get a good rocket launcher assembly for him to run around with, like Plascharge Launcher.
KILLER2

Post by KILLER2 »

Bubuche wrote:
But Mother-in-law does damage to you. I don't remember zeus canon.
If you play a demolitionist (or use some armors that nullify splash damage) it won't deal damage to you. In fact, I'd say it becomes even more powerful than the BFG in Doom 2016. As for the Zeus cannon,
Spoiler:
Bubuche wrote:
KILLER2 wrote: (G)Zdoom has the ability to use a crosshair which will tell you exactly where you are shooting.
Yes, and it's what that make these weapons usable. Never look at the weapon, focus on the red dot.
As a long time crosshair user I have to say it has never impaired my ability to admire the beauty of the weapons and their animations.
Bubuche wrote:
I was thinking about white weapons. And especially about battle rifle, as a sprite for iron sight already exists in brutal doom and this weapon does not have a secondary fire.
If the battle rifle will have iron sights then it makes no sense for it's upgrades to not have it. Keep in mind each of it's upgrades could end up using different sprites in the future. Also this creates a precedent where if a weapon has a visible iron sight but no way to use it (like many of the weapon sprites have IIRC), it kinds of breaks the immersion and makes no sense.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

I haven't responded in a while because dear god what a wall of text this page is aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Bubuche wrote:Also, the Mysterious Magnum modify the content of supply crate. But you likely already know this, and I am not sure if it's a bug or not.
The content of those crate seems to also be modified by burning flammes, and even player speed. It's hard so say for this last one.
I have no idea what you are talking about, sorry.
Bubuche wrote:The lightweaver gun is ... dangerous. I mean IRL. I am pretty sure it can cause epileptic attack.
Doom is a game with dark rooms being lit up by repeated flashing gunfire, I don't see the issue. People with problems like that shouldn't be playing to begin with.
Bubuche wrote:The gauss rifle (and the other raygun i don't remember the name) can cull the nightmare cacodemon (the one with a spark floating around and resurecting it). And this demon doesn't take damage from other energy weapon, it can be considered as a bug, but maybe it's on purpose.
The Cacobyss. I still have no idea what you are talking about. Culling? What?
Bubuche wrote:Demolitionist dies from nuclear barrel. Well, it's understandable , but its description blablabla ... :D
Nukes will kill him if you are super close, being in the mid to outer radius will do nothing to him, as usual.
Bubuche wrote:I may be considered heretic, but ... what about a bfg with the comportement of the bfg in the new doom ?
Haven't played it, so I have no idea what that would be.
Bubuche wrote:An iron sight on the battle rifle ? Yeah, this mod is not brutal doom but ... why not ? The iron sight thingy is always pretty cool.
Absolutely not. Sorry, but that's pointless.
Bubuche wrote:A backpack specialized in weapons transportation ? Like with it you can have two more weapon with you.
I doubt I would ever add something that would allow you to do that. The restricted carrying capacity is part of how the mod works, it forces decision making.
Bubuche wrote:A healing backpack ? (like to 50 hp + increase health regeneration speed for healing armor + increase health recovery for items).
There are more backpacks coming in the future at some point, at least one is indeed medical themed.
KILLER2 wrote:All the orange weapons are supposed to be really old weapons repurposed by UAC (or smuggled), and all the weaker guns are mass-produced.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom wrote:i never thought of it that way, but it kind of makes sense that the "superior" line of weapons are older, rarer guns that don't have the same support for moddability and flexibility as the lower-tier guns do, but are stronger because of the way they're designed.
Not old, just rare, interesting weaponry that is not easily modifyable, really. They'll tend to be more effective due to their rarity and lack of modability, but that's almost entirely gameplay driven, rather than based on what the gun is.
Often stuff that might make more sense as a Unique, but isn't cool enough to deserve it will be made as Superiors.
KILLER2 wrote:If the battle rifle will have iron sights then it makes no sense for it's upgrades to not have it. Keep in mind each of it's upgrades could end up using different sprites in the future. Also this creates a precedent where if a weapon has a visible iron sight but no way to use it (like many of the weapon sprites have IIRC), it kinds of breaks the immersion and makes no sense.
Exactly
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

If any superior would work better as a unique, I think it'd be the RC-P90, especially since its high power counterpart is the only one that increases the clip size. If it did become a unique, then the RC-P120 could then become the result of applying an exotic mod to it, probably nano or firestorm. Besides, the number of of unique slot 4s seems pretty low compared to the others.

...wait, will High Capacity be a two step assembly? If so, what's it going to do for the RC-P90 that High Power doesn't already?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”