DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.5] [MP-B7.3]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NickDoom

Re: DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.1] [MP-B7.1]

Post by NickDoom »

HPNBFG made my first encounter with Abominant very funny. On Refueling Base, I made a HPNBFG for which I haven't a free weapon slot (so I temporarily dropped a good weapon). I've entered the secret teleport, took Invulnerability, pulled the trigger and rushed to the place where Cyberdemon should be.
In ≈400..800 milliseconds the following things happened:
1) WHAT IS THIS SHI?..
2) KABOOM!!!
3) …what it was?

Also, a sort of bug found: if I keep firing HP Chaingun and select a different weapon (either take it or press a key), it fires short bursts instead of constant firing. It gives me another stupid idea: a rifle with bayonet can be controlled without additional bindings. Pressing „1“ while holding „fire“ can be used for a combo „immediate bayonet attack, and switch to Fist afterwards“.
bingojohnson

Post by bingojohnson »

NickDoom wrote: 1) WHAT IS THIS SHI?..
2) KABOOM!!!
3) …what it was?
As is written in the PDA description, it's core is not stable. Mod it further.
NickDoom

Post by NickDoom »

I was aware of this and intentionally attacked the Cyberdemon spawn spot with a nuclear weapon + Invulnerability (also, it allowed to free a weapon slot because I already had better things than NukeBFG).

So that time I coudn't see what Abominant is. That first Abominant existed in my FOV for less than a second. Of course, I wasn't aware of Abominants, so this quick meeting left a huge WTF??? O_O feeling.
Spoiler:
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

bingojohnson wrote:
NickDoom wrote: 1) WHAT IS THIS SHI?..
2) KABOOM!!!
3) …what it was?
As is written in the PDA description, it's core is not stable. Mod it further.
What destabilises the core and what do you mean mod it further? The one I made seems to be working just fine so far...
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

Gideon020 wrote: What destabilises the core and what do you mean mod it further? The one I made seems to be working just fine so far...
you're playing demo aren't you?

and for future reference for people playing around with nuclear bfgs; check your ammo counter
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

comet1337 wrote:
Gideon020 wrote: What destabilises the core and what do you mean mod it further? The one I made seems to be working just fine so far...

and for future reference for people playing around with nuclear bfgs; check your ammo counter
*Uses console on Marine playthrough of Plutonia*

Ooohhhh...

Now I get it.
StarController

Post by StarController »

NickDoom wrote: should I make two separate sets, for DRLA 1.1.1 and for Mosters 7.1? It requires both mods now, because it replaces both Heretic monsters and weapons simultaneously
I would absolutely split up the monster replacement and weapon replacement. Personally, if the monsters and weapons are both changed, Heretic becomes little more than a level pack, and that's not all that interesting. ;)
What I really look forward to it taking a rocket launcher to that massive skull thing with the tornadoes, or kicking away those flying imps.
hammer oz

Post by hammer oz »

comet1337 wrote:

oooooooooh ok I didn't know the demo could use if off the bat without additional modding due to his passive.
Spoiler:
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

I'm sure you've had no end of praise already of your mod given the length of the thread, but chalk up yet another. Seriously, I tried this maybe a year before and then somewhat more recently, and felt nothing for it. But on a whim ended up watching Icarus' livestream playthrough. Even though he had mixed opinions, like the way certain OP weapons ended up being the only thing used (something I am noticing to an extent), and the convoluted controls, seeing it in play sold me enough to give it another try, and I haven't been able to put it down for the last couple of days. What really sealed it, spoilers ahead...
Spoiler:
...while I partly agree that having certain weapon combinations dominate kills the difficulty, the actual process of finding them and what makes them so abusable is what makes this mod, and to anyone else interested in playing this, I highly recommend you go in blind and learn it. My only real negative comment is in regards to obtuse control stuff like having to do use+zoom to drop items, those take time to get used to, and generally I don't enjoy having to bind many extra keys to play a mod. But at the same time don't have any good ideas for streamlining it either in this case.

That's about enough gushing. But it is projects like this with lots of little details that really make the Doom modding community.
NickDoom

Post by NickDoom »

StarController wrote:I would absolutely split up the monster replacement and weapon replacement. Personally, if the monsters and weapons are both changed, Heretic becomes little more than a level pack, and that's not all that interesting. ;)
I agree but I see two weak points: (1) It'll require some damage multipliers (Doom weapons are too strong for Heretic monsters, Heretic weapons are too weak for Doom monsters); (2) Magic ammo dropped by Heretic monsters is useless for UAC teams, and vice versa. I'm thinking about a workaround, because I like the idea itself. As far as I know, I can't multiply two different damage multipliers in different .pk3 (in order to get weapons ×0.5 in the DRLA_Replacer weapon pack, ×2 in the DRLA_Replacer monster pack and ×0.5×2=1 if they are loaded together). But I can add „Heretic“ skill level (Heretic bestiary is intact, weapons are ×0.5) or probably change Heretic monsters HP in the weapon pack, and change Heretic weapons damage in the monster pack.
Triple S

Post by Triple S »

fakemai wrote:I'm sure you've had no end of praise already of your mod given the length of the thread, but chalk up yet another. Seriously, I tried this maybe a year before and then somewhat more recently, and felt nothing for it. But on a whim ended up watching Icarus' livestream playthrough. Even though he had mixed opinions, like the way certain OP weapons ended up being the only thing used (something I am noticing to an extent), and the convoluted controls, seeing it in play sold me enough to give it another try, and I haven't been able to put it down for the last couple of days. What really sealed it, spoilers ahead...
Spoiler:
...while I partly agree that having certain weapon combinations dominate kills the difficulty, the actual process of finding them and what makes them so abusable is what makes this mod, and to anyone else interested in playing this, I highly recommend you go in blind and learn it. My only real negative comment is in regards to obtuse control stuff like having to do use+zoom to drop items, those take time to get used to, and generally I don't enjoy having to bind many extra keys to play a mod. But at the same time don't have any good ideas for streamlining it either in this case.

That's about enough gushing. But it is projects like this with lots of little details that really make the Doom modding community.
Be sure to play this with the DRLA Monster Pack if you find it too easy. With base enemies, even two- or three-mod assemblies will often take care of most standard enemies without issue - especially Scout, who is basically this mod's glass cannon. Running the monster pack and cranking the difficulty up is recommended. LegenDoom Lite is also supported quite nicely, and I recommend that as well. Just, be careful what you ask for when you do this... especially if you play with the settings some.

If the Monster Pack is a little much, Colorful Hell is also supported, and I think the same goes for Mikk-'s Champions Mod. It's definitely something you want to either play on super hard/slaughterfest maps, or bring in monster packs. One playthrough I did that I highly recommend is Eviternity with LegenDoom Lite and the DRLA Monster Pack. I played on Adaptive Difficulty as Scout and it was pretty difficult. Make sure you do those secret levels.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

Triple S wrote:Be sure to play this with the DRLA Monster Pack if you find it too easy.
(snip)
LegenDoom Lite is also supported quite nicely, and I recommend that as well.
I've used both at my peril as an average player, and it is interesting to the difficulty curve to set the chance of legendaries higher when they also give out more items when certain lower-tier enemies die before they have a chance to go legendary and still drop as they would. On the flip side, legendary Pinkies in most official maps are some of the most terrifying enemies in the game, and the first time I had a Nightmare Cacodemon as a legendary, it was with Episodic-EX and E3M1, and having an enemy that is damaging about 30HP/s when you're in its line of sight and when there's no cover, is, to put it nicely, BULLSHIT.
Triple S wrote:If the Monster Pack is a little much, Colorful Hell is also supported
Seriously? Colourful Hell is generally a lot harder especially with the Abysssal or White tier enemies. The only major exception I'm aware of from a comment in its thread is that one of the weakest enemy colour variants has a chance to drop, what is supposedly the most powerful weapon in DRLA. I haven't run across it yet, but I'm excited to see it. Again, not just reading ahead makes this mod infinitely more enjoyable when you're made to learn how to utterly break the game, and I have seen some of that even in this short time. By far my favourite of my playthroughs was a Doom 2 one where towards the end I had over 3000 cells and an arsenal that was just BFG variants, and the Icon of Sin was killed by jumping in, punching a bit, then using the nuclear suicide one.
Triple S wrote:One playthrough I did that I highly recommend is Eviternity with LegenDoom Lite and the DRLA Monster Pack.
I'll try that, because one thing I definitely want to know about is more maps to try it with. Maps of Chaos only goes so far.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

Nightmare Cacos going legendary can be annoying to deal with, but if you have enough plasma resistance, they actually cannot harm you. in other words, blue armor makes them completely harmless. regular ol Mancubi, on the other hand...
Baconator

Post by Baconator »

Minor nitpick but is there any chance in the future that plasmatic shotguns get different pickup sprites different than normal weapons?
It is hard to distinguish them when playing non-engineer.
NickDoom

Post by NickDoom »

Due to lack of palette conversion options, I've extracted sprites, sounds and fonts from Doom II.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8j94jkinn ... s.pk7/file
http://www.mediafire.com/file/wiz7q7m3c ... s.pk7/file
http://www.mediafire.com/file/es5z2t525 ... I.pk7/file

So, you can enjoy (at last) a beta version.
DRLA-HereticReplacer_0.4.pk3
(3.85 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Launch it as:

Code: Select all

zdoom.exe -iwad ..\heretic.WAD -file DoomRL_Arsenal_1.1.1.pk3 DoomRL_Monsters_Beta_7.1.pk3 DRLA-HereticReplacer_0.4.pk3 OrigDoomIISprites.pk7 OrigDoomIISounds.pk7 OrigDoomIIGUI.pk7
„Adaptive“ skill now have both Heretic and DRLA monsters, „Heretic“ skill have the Heretic set (bumped a bit because they were nothing against UAC weaponry). Maybe I'll split this modlet someday (when I'll understand Decorate enough), but for now, I've barely balanced it as a dedicated skill level. I also need some help with sound (OrigDoomIISounds.pk7 does not work and I don't understand why).

Return to “Gameplay Mods”