DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.5] [MP-B7.3]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Trar

Re: DoomRL Arsenal - [1.05] [MP-B6.2]

Post by Trar »

I'd also expect a fresh post to be made for thread-watchers like me. :p
KILLER2

Post by KILLER2 »

There's obviously gonna be some post announcing it...if it ever gets released, that is. Also, you must be a pretty poor thread watcher to not realize the version numbers change and the probable "NEW RELEASE" or whatever the DRLA team will go with in the thread title.
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

KILLER2 wrote:There's obviously gonna be some post announcing it...if it ever gets released, that is. Also, you must be a pretty poor thread watcher to not realize the version numbers change and the probable "NEW RELEASE" or whatever the DRLA team will go with in the thread title.
well they are right by one thing, DRLA is not as much as popular as Brutal, LCA Complex, PB etc....
that is why its not much known about and neither given updates about on different website rather then ZDoom Forums.

despite the fact I find it more unique and better then any of the other mods I have played.
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

I like all of them really even Doom RPG that is kinda on hiatus right now thanks to the Zscript upcomeing. Hopefully when the next Vergion of RLA is out then Doom RPG can start geting in gear again.
KILLER2

Post by KILLER2 »

That's mainly because DRLA doesn't work in multiplayer, and that's where most of the playerbase of those mods comes from. People tend to talk a lot about projects they like while playing multiplayer, even when playing something completely different. Also, LCA has very lazy design which means it's much easier to get into it, the spritework is top notch and everything about it feels grandiose (to a fault, even). That's also why it's overshadowed vanilla Complex, despite it being 10x better in terms of balance. As for BD/PB, you can't fairly compare any mod to it. Between all the media attention the mod's gotten, and SGT Mark being the cockroach of Doom, promoting it everywhere he can (Doomworld, Zdoom forums, Zandronum, Youtube etc.), there's no surprise it's more popular than anything by a long shot. Also being the best gore mod in a community that mostly loves gratuitous violence and gore helps.
DRLA has an advertising problem in my opinion. There's no DRLA thread on DW, no Youtube videos with flashy trailers, nothing on Zandro, doesn't support multiplayer and requires a really old version of (G)ZDoom to work properly (for now), not to mention the incredibly infrequent updates. I too agree that it's a much better mod than LCA (not that that's particularly hard), as for BD/PB, those are entirely different mods that do entirely different things. Apples and oranges. Still, you do raise a valid point. The DRLA team could do much better to advertise this. Hell, even a "CACOWARD WINNER" with big flashy letters somewhere in the OP could do wonders. Have I mentioned this mod is a lot more complicated than LCA/BD/PB? Yeah...sort of hard to get into.

That's something for the DRLA team to think about tbh. Making the next release into a huge deal on every forum with some nice YT trailers springled in could make a TON more people interested, which this mod totally deserves. YHOLL, DO EET!
kadu522

Post by kadu522 »

I would love to do some videos for this but my internet does not permit that type of thing.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

More recognition also means more likely contributors to the mod!

Speaking of this mod's recognition, I wonder why ICARUSLIVES hadn't made a review of this mod for a very long time now. A commenter asked him if he has a feud with this mod's author and... I somewhat think that's the case. This isn't that complicated compared to say, DoomRPG. And he never reviewed Legendoom yet too for some reason.
KILLER2

Post by KILLER2 »

Icarus hasn't reviewed DoomRPG either. I've seen most of his videos and I can safely say this mod is way too complicated for him. Also, I doubt he wants to install a custom version of (G)ZDoom just to review this. If you don't know how to copy your .ini file setting up a new source port takes a lot of time. Anyways I'm gonna be moving on my own soon and I might start a rival series to Icarus's videos just because I disagree with the way he makes reviews, as well as most of his points. He's entertaining, but every time he misses something obvious or calls a medium difficulty mod "fucking bullshit" I feel like punching something.
I'm not sure if I'm gonna do that, but if I do I will definitely review this and give it an amazing score. Hell, it's probably my favourite gameplay mod ever, and the only one that I've played for any length of time that isn't AeoD.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

It kinda ticks me off when he misses something in the mod he's showcasing, but least he's no DSP, haha. Everyone, not just you would be pissed that no one would even mention him here if he started doing reviews of Doom mods.

There's still Legendoom though, that one's pretty simple as pie, but it can be real hard at some times so that could be deterring him?
KILLER2

Post by KILLER2 »

I don't really know tbh. The guy has a weird sense of taste. He's showcased garbage like HDoom and Nature's Call but won't touch Hideous Destructor with a 10 foot pole, despite numerous demands on his videos from various people from at least a year back until today. To me it just seems that if a mod isn't "clickbaitable" and doesn't contain enough flashy/scary/over the top stuff he probably thinks it's not worth covering. He seems to be doing these reviews more for his channel growth than to actually showcase cool mods. But anyways that's enough about Shitecarus, wouldn't want to derail the thread.
Tanksy

Post by Tanksy »

DRLA works fine in multiplayer. I don't know where you're getting the idea that it doesn't. Also, DRLA's popularity is moot - Once they come, they stay. No point talking about popularity (As if it's even an important topic)
kadu522

Post by kadu522 »

The main reason why icarus did not make a Review video of DoomRLA and DoomRPG is one thing complexity. Both mods are very content heavy and with a update on the horison its smarter to wait for now. i don't understand regarding legendoom however. he did collorfull hell. its almost the same thing except the gun drops.
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

ICARUSLIVES has his own rules and he is popular enough to decide what he cares about or not on his own and he seems to not have a clear idea about knowing what is good,easy and fun and yes he makes me angry as well for missing out on obvious points of a mod only due to rushing thru it.

there is Hexa as well who makes LCA videos and he also decides which stuff is better to play in terms of ease to play which he personally states and is willing to try something new but very selectively.

I myself personally want to start making videos on DRLA Gameplay showcasing guns and other random stuff in different ways with Colourful Hell baddies (I finally have a Stream proof Gaming Laptop and just need good internet).

overall I think DRLA is one of those mods that isn't known about as of yet similar to soo many other mods that don't receive the spotlight like others do (Brutal Doom won 1st Mod of the Year 2017 award at Moddb and everyone is complaining)
and its something what you will want to play over and over again without getting bored like Brutal Doom with immense emphasis on your luck compared to overloaded guts and blood.

also yes part of the reason of DRLA not being popular is of not being compatible with latest GZDoom versions (Zandronum doesn't count cause its has a very bad development case now and most people are avoiding it)
KILLER2

Post by KILLER2 »

Tanksy wrote:DRLA works fine in multiplayer. I don't know where you're getting the idea that it doesn't.
Well, what I meant is it doesn't work in Zandronum. Compare how many people play (G)ZDoom multiplayer to Zandro. Almost none.
Tanksy

Post by Tanksy »

It should work in Zandro with the right versions

Return to “Gameplay Mods”