DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.5] [MP-B7.3]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Viscra Maelstrom

Re: DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.2] [MP-B7.2]

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

online multiplayer with DRLA has been pretty stable whenever i tried it a couple years ago. the only problem was that the host, usually me, had much higher latency than the player who joined the game. it was still playable, but the latency was consistent the whole session.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:on the topic of uniques, has the drop rate for unique weapon sets been increased?
Yeah, I think I slightly increased Unique+ weapon drops, while massively decreasing Unique+ armor drops, to try and balance them out a bit more.
fakemai wrote:I'm pretty sure danger level is a factor, at higher DL, higher-end items are more likely.
Nope, item chances are not affected by anything at all.
Machine-Reaper wrote:say Yholl is it possible to make Legen Bosses only drop Demonic Artifacts if your carrying a Demonic Weapon?
Eh. I'll just remove them entirely.
Machine-Reaper wrote:also what is the other part of Nuclear Armour?
Nuclear weaponry.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom wrote:it's possible that the grappling boots effect staying isn't because of me taking them off, but because i use the resurrect command. i haven't tested it yet, but it sounds like a case of resurrect causing problems with this, so the issue is with me. although, if resurrection is what breaks it, it probably breaks for multiplayer as well.
It does not get broken by resurrect. In 2.1.1 it's working perfectly fine, I just tested it.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom wrote:online multiplayer with DRLA has been pretty stable whenever i tried it a couple years ago. the only problem was that the host, usually me, had much higher latency than the player who joined the game. it was still playable, but the latency was consistent the whole session.
Well, yeah. That's how the internet works. You have ping.
In any case, there's a network option to balance ping between all players, so the host isn't stuck with all of it.
Take One

Post by Take One »

I'm just getting around to trying out the new update and I noticed that you seem to have integrated WildWeasel's sound replacement mod. Is that correct, or is it just a few sounds? I'm asking because I stopped using that mod previously, because there are a few common sounds in it that actually have lower audio quality than the original ones, like the health bonus and cell pickup sounds being a bit muffled compared to the older ones, making them a bit grating to listen to, particularly when you hear them so often. It sounds like those sounds were taken from the original wav files, then pushed through Audacity's noise reduction filter and then just rendered as an ogg file, which can reduce the audio quality quite noticeably. That's not to detract from the work that WW did, mind you - you (Yholl) and WW both did a great job in picking sounds for it, but a few of these new ones are pretty jarringly muffled.

Anyway, if you're not planning to restore the original ones because of that, would you object to me making another sound pack to replace the problem sounds? I realise the irony in making a mod to restore the original sounds to replace new ones that came from a mod to replace the original sounds, and I haven't seen anyone else complain about them, but maybe there's someone else out there who could also benefit from it.

I haven't played enough to give any other feedback, yet, sorry, although, while I'm a little sad that a lot of my favourite items got nerfed, I'm pretty sure that they were my favourite times because they were vastly overpowered, so that was probably a good idea. Keep up the great work, as always!
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Take One wrote:I'm just getting around to trying out the new update and I noticed that you seem to have integrated WildWeasel's sound replacement mod. Is that correct, or is it just a few sounds? I'm asking because I stopped using that mod previously, because there are a few common sounds in it that actually have lower audio quality than the original ones, like the health bonus and cell pickup sounds being a bit muffled compared to the older ones, making them a bit grating to listen to, particularly when you hear them so often. It sounds like those sounds were taken from the original wav files, then pushed through Audacity's noise reduction filter and then just rendered as an ogg file, which can reduce the audio quality quite noticeably. That's not to detract from the work that WW did, mind you - you (Yholl) and WW both did a great job in picking sounds for it, but a few of these new ones are pretty jarringly muffled.
It's interesting that you bring this up... considering my sound mod doesn't touch those sounds at all.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

using the new rare type of modpack clears out your modpack tokens depending on how many mods you have on you and how many it applies. for example, modding a regular weapon when your inventory is full makes it apply 4 random mods to the weapon, and if your inventory is maxed out at 4, it clears out all your tokens, but the mods you have on you remain, so you can pick up 4 more mods. this can be repeated to give you a ludicrous amount of mods.

also, the new change for the maxed out Soulstorm Rifle doesn't seem to gel well with some of the mod effects you can apply on it. a power mod doesn't seem to increase the damage that much compared to the effect it gets when maxed, and the sniper mod and especially the firestorm mod actually makes the gun significantly weaker compared to how powerful it is without them applied.
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:using the new rare type of modpack clears out your modpack tokens depending on how many mods you have on you and how many it applies. for example, modding a regular weapon when your inventory is full makes it apply 4 random mods to the weapon, and if your inventory is maxed out at 4, it clears out all your tokens, but the mods you have on you remain, so you can pick up 4 more mods. this can be repeated to give you a ludicrous amount of mods.

also, the new change for the maxed out Soulstorm Rifle doesn't seem to gel well with some of the mod effects you can apply on it. a power mod doesn't seem to increase the damage that much compared to the effect it gets when maxed, and the sniper mod and especially the firestorm mod actually makes the gun significantly weaker compared to how powerful it is without them applied.
wow, so that means you can literally pick more mods by just using the sentient mod pack while have other mods on you and then you can pick up more then you already have, its a bug but its quite cool.

but what I don't like about the Sentient Modpack is that it doesn't allow assemblies to be formed, you can hear the confirmation sound if the mod randomly applies mods for an assembly on a gun but you can't confirm the assembly.

also I can confirm the Soulstorm Rifle being not that great with any rare-mod, I used the rifle without applying any rare-mod cause it didn't seem to give much benefit at all and the rifle seemed better unmodded and fully artifacted.
Simon-v

Post by Simon-v »

Machine-Reaper wrote:but what I don't like about the Sentient Modpack is that it doesn't allow assemblies to be formed, you can hear the confirmation sound if the mod randomly applies mods for an assembly on a gun but you can't confirm the assembly.
The cool thing about my Fluid Assembly System addon, is that it properly builds any assemblies randomly compounded by the sentient modpack. The only drawback is, you can't opt out. So, for once, i can truthfully say it "works for me".
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

Simon-v wrote: The cool thing about my Fluid Assembly System addon, is that it properly builds any assemblies randomly compounded by the sentient modpack. The only drawback is, you can't opt out. So, for once, i can truthfully say it "works for me".
I will play with your addon after I have finished my current map pack, I can't lose my Hurricane Cannon which also has very very useless Rare-mod upgrades at the moment.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:using the new rare type of modpack clears out your modpack tokens...
I honestly thought that was intentional, as a bonus for using it you get to pick up more modpacks. Interested now to see what Yholl thinks.
Machine-Reaper wrote:I will play with your addon after I have finished my current map pack
I'll whole-heartedly recommend it for the shop system alone. Only awkwardness is with LegenDoom Lite maxed out where you get so much sellable stuff. I've not tried the FAS component yet but I generally just use the new modpack for the aforementioned benefit.
Yholl wrote:Nope, item chances are not affected by anything at all.
Huh, must've just been a coincidence then. I am a bit surprised though since it's natural for roguelike games to ramp up items as you descend through the dungeons.
q3cpma

Post by q3cpma »

Maybe I'm being [censored word], but any reason the "high power" assembly doesn't apply to the revolver?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

q3cpma wrote:Maybe I'm being [censored word], but any reason the "high power" assembly doesn't apply to the revolver?
Because the revolver is already an assembly of the Pistol.
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

wildweasel wrote: Because the revolver is already an assembly of the Pistol.
I can't make an Assault Nuclear Plasma Rifle Assembly.
q3cpma wrote:Maybe I'm being [censored word], but any reason the "high power" assembly doesn't apply to the revolver?
The Hunting Revolver has an High Power Assembly.
DarkTalon25

Post by DarkTalon25 »

Machine-Reaper wrote:
wildweasel wrote: Because the revolver is already an assembly of the Pistol.
I can't make an Assault Nuclear Plasma Rifle Assembly.
That might be a bug. I can make one just fine, but I'm using the earlier 1.1 build, so something may have gone wrong with the update.
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

Does Hellstorm Elemental do full -100000 Damage or just telefrags you?

I"ve tested it against a Cybie and all it does is about -500 damage.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

It telefrags most things but not boss monsters. Those just get some amount of damage. If you want the gory details...
Spoiler:
EDIT: Question in general, how many people read mod sources like that? It should be done carefully for spoiler reasons of course, especially with mods like this, but there's often lots of silly touches in the sources too.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”