DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.5] [MP-B7.3]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.1] [MP-B7.1]

Post by Marrub »

I made a sound mod so that my ears stopped getting murdered by various weapons. Here ya go.

Rationale included in file, here's the full text anyway:

Code: Select all

This pack replaces the sounds for several weapons, which's default sounds hurt
my ears while using them. The purpose of this mod is to replace them with
alternatives that do not cause hearing damage. Here are the weapons I replaced
or changed, and why:

Burst Battle Rifle
Source: Modern Warfare 2
Rationale: The default one is too low resolution and too high pitched to
equalize and fix.

Heavy Combat Shotgun
Source: Modern Warfare 2, FEAR
Rationale: I thought the new one was more fitting. It also originally had too
much treble to deal with.

Combat Shotgun
Rationale: The original is too reliant on treble to work well, so I replaced
it. I also think the new sounds fit better together than the originals.

Gauss Rifle
Source: N/A
Rationale: I added beeps to the charge sound to make it clearer when to fire.

Laser Shotgun
Source: Halo 3
Rationale: The old sound is low resolution, unfitting, has mixed resolutions
and sounds awful. On top of all that, it relies so much on treble I can barely
even stand hearing it.

Minigun
Source: EYE Divine Cybermancy
Rationale: The old firing sound has a bit too much treble, which I could have
fixed easily, but I find EYE's sound both pleasing to the ear and amusing, so I
replaced it instead.

Nuclear Plasma Revolver
Rationale: I removed the charge sounds, because they're both not useful and
*extremely* loud. I don't know why they exist.

Pistol
Source: Fallout 4
Rationale: The normal pistol sound is good, but actually a bit too strong. The
weapon is pretty weak, so it doesn't make much sense to have a very strong
sound for it, and replacing it with a weaker one actually makes it feel
stronger. The original sound was really rather loud.

Shredder Pistol
Rationale: Equalized to have less higher spectrum noise. Unchanged otherwise.

Shredder Shotgun
Rationale: Same as the Shredder Pistol.

Shrapnel Cannon
Rationale: The original sound had an extreme amount of treble which was
probably the worst of the bunch. Replaced with a slightly less treble-y sound.

Storm Handcannon
Source: Killing Floor
Rationale: Very loud and grating sound. Replaced with one which feels just as
strong, but far less of that.

Storm Pistol
Source: Killing Floor
Rationale: Same as Storm Handcannon.

Battle Rifle
Source: Halo 3
Rationale: Same as the storm weapons, but the sound was also much louder and
much more grating. It doesn't work very well for an automatic weapon.
CanisLaticanis
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by CanisLaticanis »

So, my impressions - I'm playing this with DRPG:SE and the monster pack, on Plutonia 2.
  • The PDA: Oh thank god this is so much better; it's navigable, it's handy, and it uses just one button! My only real complaint is that the items list isn't right in DRPG:SE, and I don't know if that can be customized by mods; if not, that'd be a nice thing.
  • New Weapons: These are certainly amusing... I'm not sure about the one launcher, I wish it could switch between three modes with alt-fire, but whatever it's a cute reference.
  • New Sprites: I actually liked the old combat shotty sprite; maybe make that the unassembled one, and the new ones as the Plasmatic (white/gunmetal parts) and Heavy (black parts) assemblies? Other than that, great stuff.
  • Elephant gun: Hmmmm... I liked the old one because it was a great way to reduce demons to giblets, it was just nasty. I have to check if this still can do that, but if its damage has been chopped up into 10-pt increments it might not; maybe give it a way to set off xdeaths? It's arguably more reliable though, and is excellent if you want a reliable and very accurate weapon early in the game.
  • New autoreload option: I really like this, even though I got used to the old system. It doesn't seem to work quite right on the Shredder Shotgun's 'shredder' fire mode though.
I have a sorta-unrelated complaint that's true of the old version as well: the double shotgun can fire one barrel at a time, while the super shotgun can't. It'd be nice if this was a little more consistent between the two.
Marrub wrote:I made a sound mod so that my ears stopped getting murdered by various weapons.
THANK YOU. I didn't realize how earrape-y those sounds were until I tried them again and jeeeeeze. (For anyone who's wondering, you can absolutely drop this in in the middle of a playthrough and it'll work fine.)
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

the elephant gun gibs enemies quite easily for me. granted, that's with the technician's boost, maybe it's not as oomph-y for the other classes.
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

still turns pretty much everything into a new coat of paint for the walls
funny thing is, while it doesn't get a bonus for renegade, only shooting a single bullet, it still does get the double tap from picking up shells
and with the 3d recoil, you can cheese some maps pretty hard

the prefire delays were removed, but the thompson has a post-fire delay
also the pickup message and hud text are inconsistent
one says thompson, the other says tommygun
lwks

Post by lwks »

Talking about postfire delays the Plasma Refractor has one too, and it's unconfortably long, just in case it's a bug
bingojohnson

Post by bingojohnson »

I have a simple, maybe silly, question: whenever i open the PDA, the screen dims so much i can see anything. Is there a way to stop it from dimming? I use both ZDoom 2.8.1 and GZDoom 2.1.1 and it's the same in both.
Viscra Maelstrom

huh, i hadn't thought about the elephant gun getting perks as a renegade, that's pretty interesting. might be worth experimenting on maps that favor accuracy over close combat.
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

further more on the renegade shotgun double tap:
yholl, can you add an indicator to the ammo counter to somehow signify this
like 1+##
KILLER2

Post by KILLER2 »

comet1337 wrote:further more on the renegade shotgun double tap:
yholl, can you add an indicator to the ammo counter to somehow signify this
like 1+##
Agreed, that would be really helpful. I always end up forgetting it's there and using it by mistake .
Viscra Maelstrom

it seems that wearing the scrounger backpack as the renegade causes him to guzzle up large ammo cases even if he's maxed out.

i feel that some of the monsters going legendary could have their revamped attacks get a slight nerf. the biggest offender for me is the mancubus, who is suffering from nightmare mancubus syndrome: firing a volley of 6 full-size rockets is incredibly unfair and can easily kill you if you're caught off guard.
lwks

Post by lwks »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:it seems that wearing the scrounger backpack as the renegade causes him to guzzle up large ammo cases even if he's maxed out.
Happens with all classes and it's intended for some weird reason.
KILLER2

Post by KILLER2 »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:it seems that wearing the scrounger backpack as the renegade causes him to guzzle up large ammo cases even if he's maxed out.

i feel that some of the monsters going legendary could have their revamped attacks get a slight nerf. the biggest offender for me is the mancubus, who is suffering from nightmare mancubus syndrome: firing a volley of 6 full-size rockets is incredibly unfair and can easily kill you if you're caught off guard.
How about...don't be caught off guard? Also, if it gets too hard you can nerf the damage values yourself so the legendary monsters do less damage, or their hp so they're easier to kill. They give you good loot, they can't be pushovers.
lwks wrote:
Happens with all classes and it's intended for some weird reason.
The large ammo cases give you small ammo for the ammo type you choose. The upside is, you get more of the ammo type you want. The downside, you can waste large ammo like crazy if you're not careful. If you don't like it, don't use it. Works fine.
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:some of the monsters going legendary
BOY DO I HAVE SOME CHOICE WORDS FOR THOSE

(this is all with no extra legendary enemy damage output)
mancs doing more damage than a cyberdemon
all forms of demons can munch through any amount of armor before you can pump your shotgun for a second shot
spidermastermind completely bypasses armor (fat load of good that nano ablative did)
what ever that thing the agony elemental does
archviles can get you stuck somewhere where you werent supposed to be in the first place, even if you survive the blast
nightmare lost souls are also instant kills (?)
zombiemen with high power weapons doing how much damage at what accuracy? (i swear they don't even get reduced ammo like you do)
nightmare barons doing constant AoE line attacks that make them impossible to engage at all in corridors
nightmare arachnotrons get plasma marksman shots that they can fire stupid fast up close

thing is, these wouldn't be so bad, but compared to the higher tier variants, they are completely bonkers
legendary nightmare manc just switches to burst shots from the simultaneous triple shot

hell, some even get a downgrade
cyberbarons switch to the slow moving, slow firing cybruiser rockets
nightmare hellknights new attacks are non existant unless you are right up in their grill

oh, and arachnosentinels (just the normal ones) can keep some map07s locked up by camping in their teleport room instead of coming out to fight
this can go on for like a full minute
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

CanisLaticanis wrote:[*]New Sprites: I actually liked the old combat shotty sprite; maybe make that the unassembled one, and the new ones as the Plasmatic (white/gunmetal parts) and Heavy (black parts) assemblies? Other than that, great stuff.
We have plans for those old sprites, and for plasmatic weaponry. The current combat shotgun sprites are here to stay.
CanisLaticanis wrote:[*]Elephant gun: Hmmmm... I liked the old one because it was a great way to reduce demons to giblets, it was just nasty. I have to check if this still can do that, but if its damage has been chopped up into 10-pt increments it might not; maybe give it a way to set off xdeaths? It's arguably more reliable though, and is excellent if you want a reliable and very accurate weapon early in the game.
The Elephant Gun is infinitely better than it used to be.
CanisLaticanis wrote:I have a sorta-unrelated complaint that's true of the old version as well: the double shotgun can fire one barrel at a time, while the super shotgun can't. It'd be nice if this was a little more consistent between the two.
That's how it works in DRL, so that's how it works here.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom wrote:the biggest offender for me is the mancubus, who is suffering from nightmare mancubus syndrome: firing a volley of 6 full-size rockets is incredibly unfair and can easily kill you if you're caught off guard.
ehehehehehehe
comet1337 wrote:mancs doing more damage than a cyberdemon
Enjoy DRL's nastiness, where Mancubi just spray the entire room with rockets and end you.
comet1337 wrote:all forms of demons can munch through any amount of armor before you can pump your shotgun for a second shot
Don't stick your hand in their mouth then.
comet1337 wrote:spidermastermind completely bypasses armor (fat load of good that nano ablative did)
what ever that thing the agony elemental does
archviles can get you stuck somewhere where you werent supposed to be in the first place, even if you survive the blast
They all already do that, that's nothing to do with being legendary.
comet1337 wrote:nightmare lost souls are also instant kills (?)
Do not hug.
comet1337 wrote:zombiemen with high power weapons doing how much damage at what accuracy? (i swear they don't even get reduced ammo like you do)
They certainly do have reduced ammo.
comet1337 wrote:nightmare barons doing constant AoE line attacks that make them impossible to engage at all in corridors
At some point I'll come up with something interesting, but right now I have other priorities.
comet1337 wrote:nightmare arachnotrons get plasma marksman shots that they can fire stupid fast up close
Nightmare Arachnotrons are so utterly murderous, it's great. Very pleased with them.
comet1337 wrote:oh, and arachnosentinels (just the normal ones) can keep some map07s locked up by camping in their teleport room instead of coming out to fight
this can go on for like a full minute
Then do something else for a minute. They only really camp if they actually spot you, otherwise they just move around and look around occaisonally.

I'm beginning work on the next update, should hopefully be an absolute truckload of bugfixes, as well as quite a few balance changes coming. We'll see how that works out.
KILLER2

Post by KILLER2 »

Yo Yholl, do the monsterpack baddies work with the champions mod you advertise on Legendoom's page? Colourful Hell is difficult enough with just Legenlite, but for the monsterpack I feel like I need something extra. Also, friendly reminder to nerf Malek's.

EDIT:Just tried it. Seems to work fine for starters, however, if you choose "champions based on difficulty" and run adaptive, because it's difficulty 7 it will make EVERY SINGLE MOTHERFUCKER be a champion. For now I set it at 20%. I think moving adaptive somewhere in the middle of the scale would make it be more reasonable but it's probably not worth the effort.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”