DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.5] [MP-B7.3]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NickDoom

Re: DoomRL Arsenal - [1.05] [MP-B6.2]

Post by NickDoom »

Another idea is a hand grenade.
This time with an ancient, sadistically hardcore Russian mod. You can take them from it (but I don't like those sprites and the lack of animation).
Those grenades are actually warheads detached from UAC rockets, so if you have rockets without a launcher, you can simply throw them with your hand.
Alternate attack (activated with "use" key) is the classic punch.
Bad thing alternate fist attack in DRLA is already occupied with the "kick attack" :(

1, 2, 3 of 4:
altfire_vol01.zip
An ancient, Doom Bible themed mod.
(202.74 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
altfire_vol02.zip
(202.74 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
altfire_vol03.zip
(202.74 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
NickDoom

Post by NickDoom »

Vol. 4 of 4
Attachments
altfire_vol04.zip
(202.74 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
NickDoom

Post by NickDoom »

I hope it's not TOO offtopic, but if one wants to actually try to play it,
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
and only then you'll have a tiny chance to win.
Or, without spoilers, pay attention to every sound and every texture around, proceed with extreme caution and think twice before exploring new areas. You don't have nearly enough ammo to fight. And even with all puzzles solved, you'll still have to rely on the best player skills (or how it should be said in English?).
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

What on Earth are those spoilers about?
NickDoom

Post by NickDoom »

About this 800Kb mod, posted in prev. two messages.
I suggest to make hand grenades in DRLA. Similar to this mod.
So I've posted it as an example of hand grenades. There is also a bayonet in this mod, but this is not important.

Spoilers are least important thing here, because this mod has been posted not for playing it, but as a source of grenades.
ErrantMasa
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ErrantMasa »

I don't remember hand grenades being in DooMRL/DRL proper, and I'm not convinced DRLA needs them either. :|

Variant Grenade launchers are also forthcoming in 1.1, iirc. :mrgreen:
Bofubutt

Post by Bofubutt »

I agree that we should try to keep the ambitious suggestions to a bare minimum. As of last check in, there was a shrinking list of to-do items for Yholl, and those of us who aren't privy to the in-progress product have no idea what sorts of changes have been implemented already.

Even if someone wanted to take a crack at making your own mutator, any work you did on it would be pointless due to the complete overhaul that's still coming out. I'd be much more interested in someone picking DoomRPG+RLA back up (but maybe streamlining it considerably), myself.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Please don't spam random stuff in this thread, NickDoom.
NickDoom wrote:1) A skill level bigger than UV, but not as specialized as Ar, TF and NM. It's UV + fast + aggressive (but NO respawning) and with higher chance of spawning Nm, Tech monsters etc. I mean, I can barely meet 1 or 2 Cacoabysses on skill 4, but spawning ONLY Cacoabysses lacks diversity.
The next release will have Adaptive difficulty, which starts similar to the lower difficulties with mostly normal enemies, and slowly scales up through Nightmare/Technophobia till it reaches pure Armageddon.
NickDoom wrote:2) Different Nazis! Not that dumb as they are now, no friendly fire, faster and deadlier. Some of them drop an MP38 (there are good sprites in ROTT). Also maybe replace Keen with somebody dangerous? :)
I won't touch the Nazis for purely compatibility reasons. Nazis are often altered by dehacked, along with stuff like Commander Keens, so I won't do anything to mess with them.
NickDoom wrote:4) Chain Assemblies, yes! But at most one secret assembly. Such as Heavy Tactical Shotgun (but no such thing as Plasmatic one) etc. Few "guess is it possible" combinations which do not break the balance. Maybe (High Power)² Minigun (but with Marine class it can be overpowered).
10000% absolutely not no never
NickDoom wrote:1) Flames should cause much more light in the sector, probably flickering. It'll allow to effectively operate in dark areas with the flamethrower.
In a later update, I'll add dynamic lights to drla, along with particles, much like LegenDoom and Final Doomer, but that will take time and I'm not willing to put off 1.1 for that.
NickDoom wrote:Another idea is a hand grenade.
Yeah, at some point in the future, I will make grenades and land mines as weapons.
ErrantMasa wrote:Variant Grenade launchers are also forthcoming in 1.1, iirc. :mrgreen:
Afraid not, I don't have any update plans for those yet. They will appear eventually, but not in 1.1 or even 1.2.
Bofubutt wrote:I agree that we should try to keep the ambitious suggestions to a bare minimum. As of last check in, there was a shrinking list of to-do items for Yholl, and those of us who aren't privy to the in-progress product have no idea what sorts of changes have been implemented already.
Suggestions are fine, nothing will get in the way of 1.1, as anything I'd accept I'd do in a much later update.

My todo list is at 3 things right now, but is stalled because fffffuuuuug I don't wanna aaaaaa
yol needs to reboot brain
NickDoom

Post by NickDoom »

Yholl wrote:Please don't spam random stuff in this thread, NickDoom.
Sir yes sir! :)
Yholl wrote:The next release will have Adaptive difficulty, which starts similar to the lower difficulties with mostly normal enemies, and slowly scales up through Nightmare/Technophobia till it reaches pure Armageddon.
o_o
Yholl wrote:In a later update, I'll add dynamic lights to drla, along with particles, much like LegenDoom and Final Doomer, but that will take time and I'm not willing to put off 1.1 for that.
O_o
Yholl wrote:Yeah, at some point in the future, I will make grenades and land mines as weapons.
o_O
Yholl wrote:My todo list is at 3 things right now
O_O
(≧∀≦)
\(T∇T)/
Yholl wrote: Nazis are often altered by dehacked, along with stuff like Commander Keens, so I won't do anything to mess with them.
That's the area where I can do anything I want to, without interfering with the project :twisted:
Yholl wrote:Suggestions are fine, nothing will get in the way of 1.1, as anything I'd accept I'd do in a much later update.
Can the new particle system handle such things as carrying damage around a corner? For example, exploding HP NukeBFG spawns some big particles (blobs) which move fast and kill even faster. Their cloud expands quickly, filling all reachable areas and wiping them.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

being asked not to put random stuff in the thread didn't really warrant a mostly random reply. Your last question is good though.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Yholl wrote:Please don't spam random stuff in this thread, NickDoom.
NickDoom wrote:Can the new particle system handle such things as carrying damage around a corner? For example, exploding HP NukeBFG spawns some big particles (blobs) which move fast and kill even faster. Their cloud expands quickly, filling all reachable areas and wiping them.
Particles are just particles, little colored dots. That's all they are.

I've got no plans to have explosions reach around corners.
Bofubutt

Post by Bofubutt »

Yholl wrote:I've got no plans to have explosions reach around corners.
I agree that this is the best choice. Just imagine how bad nuke barrels would be if you couldn't hide out of line-of-sight to avoid the instadeath. And I say this as someone who makes a happy little noise every time I see a nuke barrel spawn in a level.
NickDoom

Post by NickDoom »

Laconic mode on No, no, not nuke barrels of course. Some exotic cases such as NukeBFG. Press fire, drop it, use a phase device and watch from a safe place :twisted: IMO it's costly enough to make it THAT powerful.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

NickDoom wrote:Laconic mode on No, no, not nuke barrels of course. Some exotic cases such as NukeBFG. Press fire, drop it, use a phase device and watch from a safe place :twisted: IMO it's costly enough to make it THAT powerful.
But there's still the issue of actually coding that in a sane way. How would you make that work, in a way that doesn't utterly murder the framerate?
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

So this mod is still alive? Awesome!

This is one of my favorite mods to play with megawads, my only complaint is that the weapons feel weak.
I mean, they are good in terms of damage, but when i fire them there isn't any recoil to them, not view recoil (even if just cosmetic) nor physical recoil.

Some also don't sound too good, but that's fixed with wildweasel's sound pack.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”