DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.5] [MP-B7.3]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Yholl

Re: DoomRL Arsenal - [1.05] [MP-B6.2]

Post by Yholl »

insightguy wrote:The only concern is that I have to stop and pick from what I want (already do enough waiting for just the weapon sorting) rather than just shoot the crate like a pinata
Mmm, true.
The main change with the crate revamp is that it isn't shot anymore, you press use on it to open it, so I figured having a little menu would be fine there. But yeah, could totally add a cvar for always default/menu choosing modes, good thinking.
insightguy wrote:Or better yet, make all those as separate crates as to know what i'm getting.
Yeah, that could also work.
insightguy wrote: And make them spawn in place of other things asides the backpack (example, extremely rate chance to replace large ammo packs or weapon spawns)
Fun fact: In 1.1, supply crates don't replace anything, they spawn in addition to things. And yes, quite a few things spawn them now.
insightguy wrote:I was also thinking of adding a super hardcore legendary set of items that give other class's perks at a diminished capacity.
Example:
Nano-Replicator: gives a subpar version of ammochain
Handgun repeater: gives a subpar version of marksman

but that might be a nightmare or OP
You'd have to rewrite 200+ guns, at the very least. It's all or nothing, I'm afraid, and all causes some... interesting problems.
Thexare

Post by Thexare »

Could be done as a series of individual unique weapons instead - a really powerful pistol that has a smaller bonus for Scouts (balanced so the damage is 'normal' for a Scout), a rifle with half-ammochain for non-Marines (and proper Ammochain for them), etc. Not as game-changing, but it could work as a distinguishing factor while still being infinitely simpler. At least, assuming the bulk of the code is on the individual weapon.

Or to mess with people, these weapons give the full class bonus... except to their normal class.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Thexare wrote:a really powerful pistol that has a smaller bonus for Scouts (balanced so the damage is 'normal' for a Scout)
I'd rather not start messing with the rules of abilities like that, I already have one exception with the Neural Stunner, I don't want to make more. You should always be able to tell how effective a gun would be for you as soon as you use it.
Thexare wrote:a rifle with half-ammochain for non-Marines (and proper Ammochain for them)
One planned assembly is High Capacity, the bulky brother of High Power.
High Power is +2 damage, +2 randomization, -40% mag size.
High Capacity is mag size either +30 or x2, whichever is bigger + 33% reduced ammo consumption, so that kinda fits in with that.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Besides, wouldn't those type of bonuses ruin the heavily class-based gameplay of the mod? Once Zandronum finally catches up to 1.9.1 of GZDoom I can now actually enjoy this other than with myself thanks to Colorful Hell. You can use other weapons regardless of your class, but most of them wouldn't be as effective.

That said, the only thing I can't get enough of from this mod of is maybe monsters for it's monster pack, and definitely more guns. You always need much more guns, hehe.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i do like the clear, distinct rules for the monster pack, rather than going the complete randomization route where anything can appear. it helps keeps things focused, and also makes it easier to tell the enemies apart and what they can do. the only thing that can be annoying are the new bosses, mostly because of how devastating they are, and how much their HP is boosted. it can turn a regular playthrough into a nightmare because whoops a Terminator spawned alongside a Nightmare Mastermind!
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

I actually prefer randomness with the monster spawning when it comes to playing DoomRL Arsenal. Truly makes the RL part in DoomRLA sound fitting.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

4thcharacter wrote:Once Zandronum finally catches up to 1.9.1 of GZDoom I can now actually enjoy this other than with myself thanks to Colorful Hell.
I wouldn't put too much faith in Zandronum support, at least for online play. Latest experiments with things uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh did not work as intended.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom wrote:the only thing that can be annoying are the new bosses, mostly because of how devastating they are, and how much their HP is boosted.
Thankfully, I can share this part of the next monsterpack update changelog with you.
  • Substantially lowered the health of all non-standard boss monsters, except the Agony Elemental and Terminator. They were already lower.
Spoiler:
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Yholl wrote:
4thcharacter wrote:Once Zandronum finally catches up to 1.9.1 of GZDoom I can now actually enjoy this other than with myself thanks to Colorful Hell.
I wouldn't put too much faith in Zandronum support, at least for online play. Latest experiments with things uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh did not work as intended,
With the current DoomRLA version? How bad did it get?
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

4thcharacter wrote:With the current DoomRLA version? How bad did it get?
Not DRLA. I gave some code to a friend for his Zan project, and it didn't work at all online, really. I wouldn't have high hopes of anything I've made working well in Zandronum in the future.
Tanksy

Post by Tanksy »

I've been using good ol' bat files to host my own multiplayer sessions just using gzdoom's built in stuff.
Thexare

Post by Thexare »

That's how me and one of my friends play, using ZDoom, but we have a bitch of a time trying to get it work beyond two people.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Yholl wrote:
4thcharacter wrote:With the current DoomRLA version? How bad did it get?
Not DRLA. I gave some code to a friend for his Zan project, and it didn't work at all online, really. I wouldn't have high hopes of anything I've made working well in Zandronum in the future.
Considering how many versions behind they are, Not in at least a decade, aren't they still catching up from somewhere in the 2.x version of GZdoom?
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i'm glad to hear the higher-tier bosses are getting health nerfs (although i felt the Terminator was a bit too healthy, maybe he has huge resistances?), that should hopefully make stuff like the Nightmare Cybie and Spidey less harrowing to deal with.
Tanksy

Post by Tanksy »

Just to make a note for people; I've been playing recently with the latest stable release of GZDoom (I believe it's 3.2.2) and despite having a ton of Script Warnings when loading the wads, the mod seems to be working properly.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

insightguy wrote:Considering how many versions behind they are, Not in at least a decade, aren't they still catching up from somewhere in the 2.x version of GZdoom?
They're at 2.7.1 right now, my mods are all at 2.8.1.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom wrote:i'm glad to hear the higher-tier bosses are getting health nerfs (although i felt the Terminator was a bit too healthy, maybe he has huge resistances?), that should hopefully make stuff like the Nightmare Cybie and Spidey less harrowing to deal with.
The Terminator has an energy shield that kicks in when you attack with him extreme damage attacks, i.e. AMR. The more you hit him with them, the more he'll toughen up. If you see him stop and emit red lightning, that's the shield being boosted.
Tanksy wrote:Just to make a note for people; I've been playing recently with the latest stable release of GZDoom (I believe it's 3.2.2) and despite having a ton of Script Warnings when loading the wads, the mod seems to be working properly.
That's good to know, thank you very much.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”