DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.5] [MP-B7.3]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
comet1337

Re: DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.1] [MP-B7.1]

Post by comet1337 »

technician can't remove nanofiber skin armors anymore?
i don't think they are good enough to warrant being unconditionally unremovable
maybe if they were removable, but always break when removed?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

comet1337 wrote:technician can't remove nanofiber skin armors anymore?
He never could.
KILLER2

Post by KILLER2 »

comet1337 wrote:technician can't remove nanofiber skin armors anymore?
i don't think they are good enough to warrant being unconditionally unremovable
maybe if they were removable, but always break when removed?
I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to be too good. They're probably much more common than your godlike armors, which can be great when you're struggling to survive or you're very deep in a run where you've had godawful RNG. Sure waiting for a better armor can be rewarding, but not if you're getting constantly murdered, or if you want to play this mod like a true DRPG run (one life).
gunofdis

Post by gunofdis »

Nanoskin armors are a bigger deal in DRL, where good and especially indestructible armors are a lot harder to come by and tend to have significant penalties.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

it's a holdover from DRL pretty much. LDL makes good armor spawns as common as dust particles, so you tend to roll through a lot of good stuff in droves that eclipse the usefulness of irremovable armors like nanoskin and cybernano armor. even without LDL, you can get pretty good armor with just a bit of luck. DRLA is also balanced very different from DRL, adding and changing so much from the base that it's become its own beast in terms of how everything functions.
Daverin2112

Post by Daverin2112 »

Hey! First of, AMAZING mod. Enjoy so much fun while playing with these. Even though I now have an irrational hatred of Legendary Nightmare Demons.

So, I have asked this in the discord, but in case this is a better place to ask: I had the totally awesome, great, wonderful, not remotely terrible idea to make it that the assault shotgun applies the ammochain perk. Same for Jackhammer. Now, knowing nothing about modding Doom, I cracked open Slade, looked at the actor for the Battle Rifle, tried to copy, paste, and edit the portions that seemed applicable to activating ammochain to the Assault shotgun, aaaand... nothing happens. No broken games, but the ability does not work.

Questionable value judgment aside, any clue at all what I am doing wrong?
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

yeah, indestructability is just a nice bonus to have, but never a deal breaker
outside of weird fringe cases, you'll always have some other armor on hand, and they tend to last a good while
not to mention how much armor bonuses can sustain you
and the nanofiber armors are just not even worth picking up with their halved protection
gunofdis

Post by gunofdis »

Daverin2112 wrote:
Questionable value judgment aside, any clue at all what I am doing wrong?
Because of the new free shot on ammo pickup thing shotguns no longer use their ammo in the a_firebullets call so copying battle rifle isn't going to get you anywhere. Instead have a look at autoshotgun.
Daverin2112

Post by Daverin2112 »

... Duh. Like, so duh. The heck. Somehow completey forgot about them while doing this. Thanks for the tip!
KILLER2

Post by KILLER2 »

During one of my playthroughs I found an onyx-modded gothic armor. I died before i got to use it like a total dumbass, but decided to resurrect and see what it is (at first I thought it's an unique or something). Anyways 80% damage reduction with no downsides, plus the busted melee for the set bonus, plus the resistances, seems pretty absurd to me for just a modded purple (although onyx mods are pretty damn rare).
DarkTalon25

Post by DarkTalon25 »

KILLER2 wrote:During one of my playthroughs I found an onyx-modded gothic armor. I died before i got to use it like a total dumbass, but decided to resurrect and see what it is (at first I thought it's an unique or something). Anyways 80% damage reduction with no downsides, plus the busted melee for the set bonus, plus the resistances, seems pretty absurd to me for just a modded purple (although onyx mods are pretty damn rare).
Melee combat as it is now is, in my opinion, situational at best, and the set doesn't offer any other bonuses. I'd say the Gothic Armor is fair, if a bit of a potential Disc One Nuke with the set.
That being said, your concerns could be addressed by applying a speed & jump height reduction, 20% for Scout, 5% or none for Marine and 10% for the rest.
KILLER2

Post by KILLER2 »

Yholl said they don't want to do speed reductions due to potentially breaking some maps. As for melee, I'm not that concerned, I'm more concerned about the 80%+ DAMAGE REDUCTION! That means you take 1/5 damage you're supposed to take (less from melee and bullet, even). That's hilariously ridiculous on an indestructible armor.
DarkTalon25

Post by DarkTalon25 »

Ah, I see. Fair enough, can't rebutt that.
gunofdis

Post by gunofdis »

KILLER2 wrote:Yholl said they don't want to do speed reductions due to potentially breaking some maps. As for melee, I'm not that concerned, I'm more concerned about the 80%+ DAMAGE REDUCTION! That means you take 1/5 damage you're supposed to take (less from melee and bullet, even). That's hilariously ridiculous on an indestructible armor.
There are multiple ways be to literally invulnerable via fancy armor (one of which even regenerates) and Gothic is the only exotic that's actually better at being armor than red armor (which is already 40% reduction, 60% on aaagh). It's also the rarest exotic armor, which makes it quite a bit rarer than many of the uniques.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

you're not completely and utterly invincible with it on anyway. sure bullet and melee damage is not going to be much of a problem now, but you're not completely immune to it. and most of the mid to high tier enemies attacks are plasma and fire type, which your armor doesn't resist, and because of their huge damage is still going to be felt by you (notably, cyberdemon rockets will still hurt a lot, nightmare viles flame attacks will rip through you, and any of the hell noble plasma attacks are going to be felt as well). plus the rarity of getting an onyx mod alongside the gothic armor: without it, the armor is going to be torn apart incredibly fast thanks to how high its protection value is.

as far as i know, there's only one armor in the entire game that makes you actually invulnerable to any form of attack (armor piercing capabilities notwithstanding), and it's not indestructible, so it can be torn to pieces if you're careless.

fun fact, when i was doing an ironman run of MM2, on the run i was actually successful, i got some ridiculous luck that ended up giving me 4 onyx mods that i carted around in my inventory. that was pretty ridiculous.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”