DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.5] [MP-B7.3]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
retronutcase

Re: DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.4] [MP-B7.3]

Post by retronutcase »

Firestorm may be DPS king, but here's the question: How many of them will you find on a run compared to Power and Bulk?
FollowTheDamnTrain

Post by FollowTheDamnTrain »

fakemai wrote:I'm just going to tear this apart from the source because I want to. Might have some minor issues because I don't know how it transitions between states like to reloading from A_ReFire and such but it's good enough to get an idea.
Spoiler:
EDIT: The summary: Firestorm is king for DPS. I'm not actually sure now whether Power or Bulk is a better tradeoff for DPS at this point but it's also dependent on situation where lower DPS for sustained fire might be better. Any other modpack is wasted unless you're making an assembly.
Yeah putting a Sniper/Agility mod on the laser rifle is damn near useless since it already has very good accurary. If a sniper mod gave the laser rifle piercing ability, that'd be a different story.

As for the powerup thing: That's actually a solid argument, although I personally can't really relate to that. The amount of powerups alone doesn't provide enough benefit to make 2 firestorm mods unnecessary in my book. They're not THAT common, and even on LegenDoom, the powerups most commonly dropped by enemies (at least in my experience) are Soulspheres, sometimes Megaspheres. They're not timed so they don't trigger Marine's rapid fire. I guess it's still up for debate.
retronutcase wrote:Firestorm may be DPS king, but here's the question: How many of them will you find on a run compared to Power and Bulk?
Well, if you're a Technician, stumbling upon a Firestorm pack should be no problem at all.
In other cases they're much more rare, which is why I still prefer to play as Technician (unless I'm using Zetashop). Playing with LegenDoom alleviates the struggle a bit, since enemies sometimes drop modpacks as well.
LaputanMachine

Post by LaputanMachine »

FollowTheDamnTrain wrote:
Yeah putting a Sniper/Agility mod on the laser rifle is damn near useless since it already has very good accurary. If a sniper mod gave the laser rifle piercing ability, that'd be a different story.

As for the powerup thing: That's actually a solid argument, although I personally can't really relate to that. The amount of powerups alone doesn't provide enough benefit to make 2 firestorm mods unnecessary in my book. They're not THAT common, and even on LegenDoom, the powerups most commonly dropped by enemies (at least in my experience) are Soulspheres, sometimes Megaspheres. They're not timed so they don't trigger Marine's rapid fire. I guess it's still up for debate.
If you're curious, the timed powerups are the Berserk (lasts as long as the red screen), the Radiation Shielding Suit, the Light Amplification Goggles, the Blursphere, and the Invulnerability. You can easily find multiple Radsuits in a single area if the map designer expects you to take trips through nukage, which you can keep coming back to to keep up the doubled fire-rate. In addition, some corpses can spawn Berserk packs next to them, which is a gimme, and that the Goggles have a very long duration that's even longer with the Marine's doubled powerup duration.
FollowTheDamnTrain

LaputanMachine wrote: If you're curious, the timed powerups are the Berserk (lasts as long as the red screen), the Radiation Shielding Suit, the Light Amplification Goggles, the Blursphere, and the Invulnerability. You can easily find multiple Radsuits in a single area if the map designer expects you to take trips through nukage, which you can keep coming back to to keep up the doubled fire-rate. In addition, some corpses can spawn Berserk packs next to them, which is a gimme, and that the Goggles have a very long duration that's even longer with the Marine's doubled powerup duration.
Yeah, I know what the timed powerups are.
I guess if you know the maps inside out, that is indeed a viable strat. I do make use of it, but I don't actually set it up actively. For example, on level 7, the invisibility spheres magnify stealth weapon damage massively and the stealth rifle just happens to be my go-to early game weapon...
But still, usually that stuff is situational, so other than that it'd be too much of a hassle to just rely only on powerups for a high fire rate.

Also, the light amplifier goggles suck imo, they obstruct vision rather than actually being helpful, so I actually avoid them like the plague. Worst powerup by far imo. I guess considering how customizeable GZDoom is, there surely must be a setting which reverts them back to their old function, but still...
LaputanMachine

Post by LaputanMachine »

FollowTheDamnTrain wrote: I guess if you know the maps inside out, that is indeed a viable strat. I do make use of it, but I don't actually set it up actively. For example, on level 7, the invisibility spheres magnify stealth weapon damage massively and the stealth rifle just happens to be my go-to early game weapon...
But still, usually that stuff is situational, so other than that it'd be too much of a hassle to just rely only on powerups for a high fire rate.

Also, the light amplifier goggles suck imo, they obstruct vision rather than actually being helpful, so I actually avoid them like the plague. Worst powerup by far imo. I guess considering how customizeable GZDoom is, there surely must be a setting which reverts them back to their old function, but still...
Oh, I can understand not liking the Duke3d-esque Light Goggle behavior. To change this, you'll want to go to Display Options->OpenGL Renderer->Enhanced Night Vision Mode. If you turn that to Off, you'll go back to the original behavior of setting the light level to fullbright. This also shuts off dynamic lights, which gives you an amazingly clear view of the game world.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

What you can expect to find is very much mod-dependent if you aren't just using Zetashop, but if we're talking ideals, well I still haven't even compared the different assemblies you could use on it but for the weapon in its own right 2 Firestorm + Power and/or Bulk is clearly the way to go for Marine players. If you aren't though, FIrestorm is a waste since you'll spend about as long reloading as firing and Firestorm likely has worse DPS than just dumping Power/Bulk onto it. Ultimately that's why I gave the hard number stats because there's a lot of things at play for what works best, as it should be!

EDIT: It'll be more fun when I start looking at shotgun type weapons because that's where Agility might actually have some merit, or would if Sniper didn't usually outclass it.
EDIT2: I did not need any more reason to love Nuclear Powerarmor, but came across yet another one by complete accident while checking something. Let's just say it's an exception to a specific class perk with one of my absolute favourite weapon types.
LaputanMachine

Post by LaputanMachine »

fakemai wrote:What you can expect to find is very much mod-dependent if you aren't just using Zetashop, but if we're talking ideals, well I still haven't even compared the different assemblies you could use on it but for the weapon in its own right 2 Firestorm + Power and/or Bulk is clearly the way to go for Marine players. If you aren't though, FIrestorm is a waste since you'll spend about as long reloading as firing and Firestorm likely has worse DPS than just dumping Power/Bulk onto it. Ultimately that's why I gave the hard number stats because there's a lot of things at play for what works best, as it should be!

EDIT: It'll be more fun when I start looking at shotgun type weapons because that's where Agility might actually have some merit, or would if Sniper didn't usually outclass it.
EDIT2: I did not need any more reason to love Nuclear Powerarmor, but came across yet another one by complete accident while checking something. Let's just say it's an exception to a specific class perk with one of my absolute favourite weapon types.
Does it have to do with the fact that Nuclear Powerarmor counts as Nuclear Armor and thus doubles the recharge rate of nuclear weapons? I can imagine this becoming broken when combined with either Ammochain or Fireangel.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

LaputanMachine wrote:Does it have to do with the fact that Nuclear Powerarmor counts as Nuclear Armor and thus doubles the recharge rate of nuclear weapons? I can imagine this becoming broken when combined with either Ammochain or Fireangel.
No I've known about that one for a while and it's certainly something with Demolitionist being able to use BFGs like that. The thing I'm talking about is a hidden synergy. I believe the armor set is a Fallout reference so maybe there's a clue there? I've not played the series.
FollowTheDamnTrain

fakemai wrote:EDIT: It'll be more fun when I start looking at shotgun type weapons because that's where Agility might actually have some merit, or would if Sniper didn't usually outclass it.
I honestly feel like the Agility mod is the most useless one unless used for assemblies. Problem is, there are very few good assemblies with it involved...

Sounds interesting. I haven't used the Nuclear Powerarmor enough. I can't make use of the hints since I haven't played Fallout either. Maybe elaborate just a little more? ;P

I've tried the Prototype Assault Shield + Nuclear Backpack recently, though, and with that combo, it's fantastic. I believe it also protects against Radiant damage, being one of few armors that do.
Spoiler:
LaputanMachine

Post by LaputanMachine »

I did some research into the code, and I think I found the secret. Indeed, the synergy is a reference to Fallout, and it's a pretty damn good one at that; double damage on a gun that already does pretty impressive damage and can be charged up to do even more! Now all you have to do is bring together the pieces...

Hopefully that gives you a clearer picture.
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

LaputanMachine wrote:I did some research into the code, and I think I found the secret. Indeed, the synergy is a reference to Fallout, and it's a pretty damn good one at that; double damage on a gun that already does pretty impressive damage and can be charged up to do even more! Now all you have to do is bring together the pieces...

Hopefully that gives you a clearer picture.
its an Enclave Power Armour, Enclave are the bad guys in Fallout, currently playing Fallout 3 and their Armour indeed is the most powerful one besides T-51B

but I'm still unaware which weapon it upgrades besides Nuclear Weapons
FollowTheDamnTrain

Can't figure it out either.
Also decided to look into the code, haven't found anything substantial there, I've also tested all the nuclear weapons in combo with the armor - none of them seem to experience a substantial buff. It must be a non-nuclear weapon then.
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

FollowTheDamnTrain wrote:Can't figure it out either.
Also decided to look into the code, haven't found anything substantial there, I've also tested all the nuclear weapons in combo with the armor - none of them seem to experience a substantial buff. It must be a non-nuclear weapon then.
try with Laser Rife, Laser Minigun, Lucifer Cannon and any other heavy or tech like weapon you know of
FollowTheDamnTrain

I believe I figured it out. It's the Gauss Rifle.

One fully charged shot does >1300 damage, and with the Nuclear Powerarmor equipped, it's ~2700. That's some good damage there.
Spoiler:
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

FollowTheDamnTrain wrote:I believe I figured it out. It's the Gauss Rifle.

One fully charged shot does >1300 damage, and with the Nuclear Powerarmor equipped, it's ~2700. That's some good damage there.
Spoiler:
now that's a LOT OF DAMAGE!
Spoiler:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”