DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.5] [MP-B7.3]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Bofubutt

Re: DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.1] [MP-B7.1]

Post by Bofubutt »

Take One wrote:
Churrupez wrote:-Both Plasma Rifles Mk. II gets affected with the Marine's "higher firerates" passive, but they don't get affected by Ammochain
It's a slightly odd weapon. As it is when you assemble it, it doesn't fire fast enough to be considered automatic for Ammochain, but adding a Firestorm mod raises it enough that it does, and then Ammochain starts working. I just imagine that it'd be awkward to say "Ammochain (but only when Firestorm modded)" in the PDA. In a probably more subjective sense, I'm not sure if it's really worth it, because a Firestorm mod is quite an expensive price to pay (basically making it a Master assembly for the Marine) when there are other automatic weapons that have at least as good a DPS for fewer mod packs, just basic mod packs, or no mod packs.

Speaking of assemblies, I noticed earlier that the assembly-printing allmap pickups still display the old PATT assembly for Plasma Infusion in the "new assembly learned" text instead of the new PATS one.

I'm also not sure if this is a problem with DRLA because I've only been playing with DRLA (just DRLA itself and the monster pack, no other mods running), recently, and it's too rare to specifically test for it, but I've had two times in the last couple of weeks where I've been playing a somewhat large map (Map32 in Plutonia CMP and Map27 in Community Chest 2) and, after about twenty minutes or so, the framerate suddenly just tanked to an average of 1-2 FPS and stayed there no matter what I did for as long as I was in that map. I have a decently powerful PC, so it shouldn't be a resource problem. Excuse me if I've missed a bug announcement or fix in a GZDoom update or something, but I thought that I'd mention it here, just in case something in the mod is getting confused. If I get this problem again without DRLA running, I'll post it as an actual bug report and Yholl can laugh at me or something.
You may want to disable fancy gore and barrel effects. I was running into an issue (a few pages back) where after using the Mother In Law about twenty times or so, my framerate plummeted to the point where the game was completely unplayable. I also ran into an issue on Valiant.wad's "The Mancurian Candidate" map (or whatever it's called) where activating the switch that kills all of the Archviles causes the game to get to an unplayable framerate state, probably due to all the barrels going off at once. Likewise, my computer's pretty beefy.

Note that this change only seems to take effect on new maps, so you'll probably have to load a save from prior to that map if you're trying to keep a sequential playthrough going.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

As someone who plays on the lowest spec system that can still run GZDoom's latest vintage build I don't often run into performance issues with DRLA+DRLM but there are a few standouts. As mentioned prior, rarity beams have a lot of scripting overhead even when turned off, which really hurts on MAP10 Doom 2 and MAP09 Evilution since there's so many enemies dropping weapons, and especially when you have legendaries at highest spawn rate. The Voltgun causes big slowdown if fired in open spaces. Also I've not found Pain Elementals to summon without line of sight, even legendary, and those don't hurt performance too badly even if they are summoning hordes. Cyber Pain Elementals can really tank the framerate though if they turn legendary. Similarly I think it's the Cybercyberdemon? Whichever one fires cluster rockets with smoke trails. Those cause slowdown too in encounters like MAP21 Evilution where they're in an open space. Lastly, while the fancy barrel explosions drop my system to slideshow in MAP23 Doom 2, it's only temporary, and there's no performance issues if the fancy effects are turned off.

EDIT: Oh, and it should be said, 3.7.x gave me a MASSIVE performance boost thanks to the dynamic recompiler. Prior to that most of the weapons in Russian Overkill would overkill my framerate, now it's only a few that do. However I vaguely recall there being situations where dynarec has to fall back to interpreter which can be slow, and at least I believe this was happening with too many helper mods loaded, particularly Immerse, unsure if that's the issue with the rarity beams or not. Also my exact specs are 1.87GHz dual-core and Intel GM45.
Last edited by fakemai on Sun May 19, 2019 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

overall, the mod performs pretty well for me. i don't have the absolutely best system (i5 6400 and GTX 960), so it does slowdown on particularly large maps because of all the scripting overhead, as i definitely remember those maps playing well before those scripts were introduced (it was back when the first big update in 1.0 added a lot of assemblies and other stuff appeared). notably, Memorial ran perfectly fine before, but performs poorly no matter what i do now. however, that is a particularly extreme case, and i believe maps that e.g. Mechadon makes runs perfectly fine for me despite their massive scale (compared to Memorial, they ARE massively smaller in size), and Happy Time Circus 2 with its large level filled with thousands of enemies works well too.

on enemies with lots of enemies, i turn off the gore, as enough of that affects my performance, and in levels that has a lot of barrels go off at once (Barrels 'O Fun obviously, but also map 13 in Epic 2) turning off the barrel effects makes those parts run smooth as butter, which before 1.1 the game would freeze for well over a minute or so.

some of the addons can add overhead too. i'd advise turning off stuff like Kinsie's props addon if you're running sets that gets pretty big, like Vela Pax, Speed of Doom, Resurgence and such, as those will affect the performance in my experience. i don't know exactly when it'll affect things majorly, but something to keep in mind.
Take One

Post by Take One »

Another bug: When playing as the Scout, using a Sniper-modded Grammaton Cleric Beretta on Burst mode, the gun only uses two bullets at a time instead of three and doesn't actually fire any hitscan bullets. The gun just plays the fire animation, takes two bullets away and nothing else happens. The other firing modes work as intended, and I checked it on other classes and it works normally for them (Marine gets his Ammochain perk on it and everyone else just shoots it normally). I just looked through the script and it seems that the Sharpshooter A_JumpIfInventory function there (under FireBurstS) jumps one too many lines and skips over the actual A_FireBullets function.

(It may be intended and just a placeholder or something, but I also noticed that the Sniper modded GC Beretta also has a special FireRenegadeBurst state, but its function is identical to the normal FireBurstS state (A_FireBullets (3.5, 2, 3, 7, "RLBulletPuff")). Just a heads-up in case that wasn't supposed to be the case.)

Apart from that, just a very minor typo on the Widowmaker in the PDA: The Nano mod description says "Spider steal ammo" instead of "Spiders steal ammo" like the other mod descriptions, which was amusing to me.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

Spoiler warning.
Spoiler:
EDIT2: Armageddon difficulty might be designed to be mean, but there's a part in Doom 2 MAP23 where without certain items, you cannot win. Specifically, taking the second teleport lands you right next to a Pain Elemental and he instantly kills you while you're teleport stunned. Nuke barrels can be bad but it is sometimes possible to get away before any even get set off.
Last edited by fakemai on Tue May 28, 2019 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Churrupez

Post by Churrupez »

I found a pretty big exploit for the Renegade's "extra shotgun shot when you pickup shells" passive: apparently it checks only if you are passing over shell ammo, not if you're actually picking it up.

So, if you're full of shells and you move back and forth over a shell ammo pickup, you essentially have infinite shotgun shots :lol:
affandede

Post by affandede »

Happy birthday to you, Yholl.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

fakemai wrote:I also don't know what its "termination point recall" mode does is it something that's used in multiplayer?
It teleports you to one of the spots you died at, so yeah, generally isn't used for singleplayer.
fakemai wrote:Also forgot to ask, but what is Dark Marty referring to? He's great even if scary.
It's just an evil version of Marty, really. He's a modder, artist, voice actor, and friend, and we do silly stuff like this every now and then, hahaha. You might know him best as the person who made The Space Pirate!
fakemai wrote:Armageddon difficulty might be designed to be mean, but there's a part in Doom 2 MAP23 where without certain items, you cannot win. Specifically, taking the second teleport lands you right next to a Pain Elemental and he instantly kills you while you're teleport stunned. Nuke barrels can be bad but it is sometimes possible to get away before any even get set off.
I just pistol started that, got through that part without any trouble. The Hellstorm Elementals weren't even near me when I teleported in, so this is not even slightly impossible.
affandede wrote:Happy birthday to you, Yholl.
Thanks!

After a period of not working on anything, I've gotten back into the swing of things. I've been busy knocking things off my todo list, but some of them are real doozies, so I'm not sure how long the update will take.
Bofubutt

Post by Bofubutt »

Yholl wrote:
fakemai wrote:I also don't know what its "termination point recall" mode does is it something that's used in multiplayer?
It teleports you to one of the spots you died at, so yeah, generally isn't used for singleplayer.
fakemai wrote:Also forgot to ask, but what is Dark Marty referring to? He's great even if scary.
It's just an evil version of Marty, really. He's a modder, artist, voice actor, and friend, and we do silly stuff like this every now and then, hahaha. You might know him best as the person who made The Space Pirate!
fakemai wrote:Armageddon difficulty might be designed to be mean, but there's a part in Doom 2 MAP23 where without certain items, you cannot win. Specifically, taking the second teleport lands you right next to a Pain Elemental and he instantly kills you while you're teleport stunned. Nuke barrels can be bad but it is sometimes possible to get away before any even get set off.
I just pistol started that, got through that part without any trouble. The Hellstorm Elementals weren't even near me when I teleported in, so this is not even slightly impossible.
affandede wrote:Happy birthday to you, Yholl.
Thanks!

After a period of not working on anything, I've gotten back into the swing of things. I've been busy knocking things off my todo list, but some of them are real doozies, so I'm not sure how long the update will take.
Glad to hear it! You definitely earned some time off, that's for sure.

I ran into an odd issue that I'd like to see if anyone else can reproduce. I was playing Epic2, and at the end of Map20, there's a suicide exit that also teleports a voodoo doll into a damaging/end level sector. Normally, the mod seems to stick you in invulnerable mode when you hop into one of these exits, but because there's a voodoo doll that gets pushed into the sector, the invulnerability gets canceled out by the damaging sector. When this happened, I was unable to pick up any modpacks or demon artifacts going forward, even ones that I'd just dropped. I didn't try dropping any weapons or armor to see if I could pick those up, but it definitely treated me like I'd hit my limit for mod packs and artifacts even though I had none in my inventory.

Has anyone else run into that? I'm running the recommended version of GZDoom for this mod.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Dark Marty
I've spent years trying to figure him out.

Some claim that he's a superpowered former human (with a handgun) who just forgot how to die. You never really kill him. He just gets so pissed that he leaves.
And speaking of LEAVES. Others will feverishly explain that he's somehow powered by trees. People have tried making movies, or documentaries about it but the truth remains hidden nonetheless.

Me, I just think he's a cool guy. He kills me every so often but that's fine. These things happen.
BcSeed7

Post by BcSeed7 »

Is there anywhere a tutorial on how to properly run newest Rogue Arsenal with DoomRPG? I was trying to run it multiple times, but always get some error.
StarController

Post by StarController »

BcSeed7 wrote:Is there anywhere a tutorial on how to properly run newest Rogue Arsenal with DoomRPG? I was trying to run it multiple times, but always get some error.
These days the easiest thing is to use Sumwunn's DoomRPG fork. He's maintaining it for stability if nothing else.
https://github.com/Sumwunn/DoomRPG

Personally to make it run I made a shortcut to my desktop to gzdoom.exe and used the wiki page here to write in parameters to load DoomRPG and DRLA and DRLA Monsterpack.

https://github.com/Sumwunn/DoomRPG/wiki

I hope that helps!
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

Does anyone wants bots for this, that can use modpacks, assemble weapons and that sort of stuff? I think this mod would be great with bots that could actually make use of it's features, but it's a massive undertaking with a mod this large and advanced, so i want to see if anyone else that isn't just me is interested.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

That would be pretty cool.
It would also be incredibly unfeasible, if not outright impossible.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

Ethril wrote:That would be pretty cool.
It would also be incredibly unfeasible, if not outright impossible.
It's easily doable, just very tedious. Maybe i will poke at it every now and then.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”