DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.5] [MP-B7.3]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: DoomRL Arsenal - [1.05] [MP-B6.2]

Post by wildweasel »

Tanksy wrote:Something I have thought while playing some Wads, specifically the Hell on Earth (starter pack wad from brutal doom, which on its own serves as some pretty nice levels) wad, and I noticed that dead scientists with phase devices appear quite often, probably too often for my liking. Is there a way to scale this down? I'm not sure what even causes them to spawn. I understand it's randomly replacing something else that was placed there but I don't know what. Items?
Corpses, IIRC, replace decorative pools of blood and pre-placed corpses. Some WADs replace those sprites (since they are used by nothing else) with new decorations. This does result in certain WADs placing them _everywhere_ for visual effect, though; UACecret.wad in particular replaces them with strands of grass, meaning the outdoor opening area is absolutely littered with dead scientists and items to pick up.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

worldendDominator wrote:Have you considered adding assemblies for ammo and boots?
Yeah, I thought about having some device you could come across and build new armor types with, or something like that. It's not been a high priority, so I haven't thought about it much.
Also I assume you meant armor, not ammo. Because that's terror.
worldendDominator wrote:Phase devices and skulls' effects are rather non-obvious without any explanation.
The PDA in 1.1 has an info section on every kind of item in the game. As for specific effects per item, that's something you'll have to learn through experimentation, these are strange and unfamiliar objects to you.
worldendDominator wrote:Is it possible to see the modpack limit for your current weapon?
It's not like that's complicated. Standard/Exotic is 4, Superior is 2, Unique+ is 1 (except for exceptions hue)
If you made an assembly out of a gun, the mods used to make it are deducted from the limit. A basic assembly on a Pistol will leave it with a mod limit of 2, because it used 2 to be made.

I'm not sure if more than one hud have it, but the Shiny HUD in 1.1 does display the mod limit with a number of lights.
Tanksy wrote:Is there a way to scale this down?
Yeah, sure. I'll add a menu option to mess with that stuff, it'll certainly make playing Lainos' maps easier, hehehe.
goddamn I do love me some Lainos maps
Clocky
Location: Inside a BFG 10K's Energy Cell magazine (Brazil, Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre)

Post by Clocky »

Yholl wrote:
Clocky wrote:I remember the day that you said " I don't know, probably in 2 or 3 months" I think that it was back in October of last year... Not sure, heh, and we're still waiting for the next version for lots of time
Yuuuuuuuup, every time I felt the end was finally in sight, something stupid happened, I've felt so bad about getting people's hopes up,and honestly, I'm actually amazed people are still here and waiting for it after all this. It means so much to me that you still stick around after all this time, without even knowing what state the update is in or how close or far away it is. Thank you, all of you!
Clocky wrote:I'm actually glad to hear that hopefully, of course, the update is really halfway done, and hopefully will be published within the next two or three months.
Halfway? No no, I said in my previous post, there are only 7 things on my todo list, three of which are pretty simple tweak things. When I said this was almost done earlier, it really is almost done; there have been times where my todo list only had one or two things on it. (usually before someone discovered something I'd broken, hahaha)

I've been working non-stop on that internal monsterpack revamp the past week, and that's getting close to done, the first 2 of 3 parts are finished. After that I've got to remake a gnu, make a new weapon, make one of the new bosses more dangerous, and then do some AI tweaks to bosses and add some stuff to the Armageddon Arch-vile.

After that, it's just testing, looking for things I broke because I am the smrat, and then I'll throw it at you all finally.
Clocky wrote:Also, question, will RLA ever have shell ejection and magazine-dropping, someday?
Yeah, totally. I originally had it lined up for this or the next update, but decided to push it back so it didn't delay things even further.
That's really nice of you, mate, I've been waiting since July of last yrar, some people might have been waiting more, heh. If I knew how to script - or could try using some of Brutal Doom's ejection codes (errr... with credits, of course...) and apply to every single weapon, but yeah, I kimd of wish I could do that with my tidbit portoon of my free time.
In all honesty, I played Colorful Hell quite alot, and kind of wish there were more special former humans, such as the De.monic weapon one, also, I know, the dark silhouette ones are really freaking hard to take down if you didnt expect them to spawn, those variants are the hardest former human spawns, and they are, like, extremely rare, like, Hellfire Pain Elemental le vel of rare, 'cause I've only seen one of those after all the time I played RLA, but found it in the training room as a spawn, also, it was in DoomRPG, so I am not too sure. Another note: non-armageddon anf technophobia difficulties were used, and I think that the difficulty level that I had set up for the training room might've been hard.

Also, can't wait for you to put that to-do list away, really friggin glad it really is almost over!
worldendDominator

Post by worldendDominator »

Yholl wrote:Yeah, I thought about having some device you could come across and build new armor types with, or something like that. It's not been a high priority, so I haven't thought about it much.
Yeah, of course I meant armor.
What I have in mind is closer to how weapon modding works: if you have no weapon selected, using a modpack "applies" it to currently equipped armor - or rather, queues it for armor assembly (the modpack is used up and you get a token). If you queue the mods required for an assembly that works with your current armor, you get assembled armor after a confirmation; if you don't, you get the mods back. If you unequip armor, you also get the mods back. If you're wearing assembled or unique+ armor, you can't use mods in the first place. If you don't have armor, mods are "applied" to boots. This should only require two tokens per modpack type (one for armor, one for boots), so no combinatorial explosion and code bloating.
Clocky
Location: Inside a BFG 10K's Energy Cell magazine (Brazil, Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre)

Post by Clocky »

worldendDominator wrote:
Yholl wrote:Yeah, I thought about having some device you could come across and build new armor types with, or something like that. It's not been a high priority, so I haven't thought about it much.
Yeah, of course I meant armor.
What I have in mind is closer to how weapon modding works: if you have no weapon selected, using a modpack "applies" it to currently equipped armor - or rather, queues it for armor assembly (the modpack is used up and you get a token). If you queue the mods required for an assembly that works with your current armor, you get assembled armor after a confirmation; if you don't, you get the mods back. If you unequip armor, you also get the mods back. If you're wearing assembled or unique+ armor, you can't use mods in the first place. If you don't have armor, mods are "applied" to boots. This should only require two tokens per modpack type (one for armor, one for boots), so no combinatorial explosion and code bloating.
I think that's a pretty neato lock-on radar guided orbital aerial torpedo idea, mate, but I'd rather not do that, because I thi nk that would be a mess to codify it.
Edit: That could suprisinglybe used for upgrades,but actualassemblies, not sure...
ToxicFrog
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): NixOS

Post by ToxicFrog »

Is the DRLA source code available anywhere? I've had a lot of trouble getting GZD 2.1.1 to play nice, and DRLA 1.05 is kinda crashy in later versions (I've tried 2.4 and 3.1). I know there's an updated release of DRLA in the works, but until then I'm wondering if might be better off trying my luck with DRLA HEAD + a more recent GZD and DRPG.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

ToxicFrog wrote:Is the DRLA source code available anywhere?
Nope.
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

ToxicFrog wrote:Is the DRLA source code available anywhere? I've had a lot of trouble getting GZD 2.1.1 to play nice, and DRLA 1.05 is kinda crashy in later versions (I've tried 2.4 and 3.1). I know there's an updated release of DRLA in the works, but until then I'm wondering if might be better off trying my luck with DRLA HEAD + a more recent GZD and DRPG.
The source code is the wad, what you see is what you get. If you're asking for an updated version, no, you'll just have to wait. :P
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

Source code...ppphft...People are beginning to think this mod is practically a new game engine xD
ToxicFrog
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): NixOS

Post by ToxicFrog »

Marrub wrote:
ToxicFrog wrote:Is the DRLA source code available anywhere? I've had a lot of trouble getting GZD 2.1.1 to play nice, and DRLA 1.05 is kinda crashy in later versions (I've tried 2.4 and 3.1). I know there's an updated release of DRLA in the works, but until then I'm wondering if might be better off trying my luck with DRLA HEAD + a more recent GZD and DRPG.
The source code is the wad, what you see is what you get. If you're asking for an updated version, no, you'll just have to wait. :P
Aah, that makes sense -- I was assuming that it had a more DRPG-style of development where there's a version-controlled pile of files somewhere that gets compiled into the WAD for releases.

I'll keep waiting for 1.1 and playing LegenDoom in the meantime, then. :)
Tanksy

Post by Tanksy »

DRPG doesn't get compiled, GZDoom just reads the files as they are.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

ToxicFrog wrote:Aah, that makes sense -- I was assuming that it had a more DRPG-style of development where there's a version-controlled pile of files somewhere that gets compiled into the WAD for releases.
Nah. It basically sits in my doom work folder while I stab it with words and numbers and terrible attempts at maths. Every so often I upload dev builds, but only people involved in development have access to them.

The mods I work on have always really just been a simple hobby for me, so there's never been a need to make it some grand communal effort or anything.

The closest thing to what you're thinking of would be Laundry 3, which is worked on in a shared folder by several people, but everything else is just sitting in my work folder.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

oh gno dubble poste

Sorry for the long silence, I've either been
  • A) hard at work on stuff
    B) exhausted
    C) sick

D) procrastinating.
I finally got the monster revamp up and running just a few minutes ago! Now I need to make it actually work right, hah.
Currently all sorts of crazy is happening, with electrified enemies turning into zombieman and all sorts, hehehehehe.

Progress progress, getting stuff done, even if it takes a while occaisonally. I severely underestimated how brain-blastingly annoying this would be, but I've got through that part now.
Tranthula

Post by Tranthula »

Wonderful, wonderful chaos! And thanks for the update, better late than never.
A_D_M_E_R_A_L
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by A_D_M_E_R_A_L »

If only the NM Mastermind had pain frames, I'd gladly used them in my mod =(

Return to “Gameplay Mods”