[WIP] The Trailblazer

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DoomNukem

Re: [WIP] The Trailblazer

Post by DoomNukem »

Jinal wrote:
Jinal wrote:
DoomNukem wrote:
Typical White Male story there.

"My wife and unborn child has been killed (fridged) and I must avenge their deaths because dead women (read: Violence against Women) drive my story...." like we seen a millions times before....
fridged

Oh look, I'm fucking fridged, I'm a goddamn fridge call help!, It's Frigid, dick.
not that its any of your business but I do have a girlfriend and she's very supportive of my work.

for fucks sake internet.

Dead women do not drive the story, one woman dies, his wife, but if you were actually paying attention, you'd know he's a genetically engineered super soldier in a secret UN taskforce during the post apocalypse who has fallen from grace.

Yes it is a typical white male story, the character is a typical white male (see the pictures on the first page). it was supposed to be fun and childish, and I hope the adition of a cheesey stereotypically black best friend character boils your politically correct blood. This is for a uni-project I presented the animatic
Spoiler:
along with other material to my post graduate class
and it was well received with laughter, which exactly what was intended.

I'm not sexist, that voice is placeholder if that's what you meant, I cant speak in a girls voice but that's getting sorted (edit: um, that sounded weird). if you meant her death it's a basic plot device, deal with it.
And everytime someone calls out something as sexist or "Violence against Women" for trivial shit such as this you damage the Intergrity of the arguement and make legitimate claims less valid.

your probably not going to read all this, you didn't structure an arguement nor did you explain why you feel the way you do, clear flamebaiting, please leave and don't let the door hit you on your way out.
Triple S wrote:..Oh, and it was pretty clear to me that the story video thing wasn't intended to be super serious and deep. Try not to read into it too much, lest you be schooled by those who are far better at it than yourself.
You are correct, there was to be no depth, it's a cheesey parody of action films so I went for a classic simple revenge theme, this isnt the count of montechristo. the childish dialogue was indeed intended. granted my placeholder voice acting is awful I just handed the script to marty kirra the other day as he will be taking care of the voices.
Mav3rick wrote:the best part of the video is the "boom" of the gun XD nice work and is good that the mod have a history ;)
Thankyou hahaha, again it was placeholder but definitely pulled a few laughs, I will probably use one of the gun sounds form trailblazer when I get to it.
Triple S

Post by Triple S »

DoomNukem wrote:
fridged

Oh look, I'm fucking fridged, I'm a goddamn fridge call help!

Oh my god, good sir, you have slain me. I haven't laughed that hard at something like this in a while. Between what I quoted and your new avatar, I'm going to laugh myself to sleep tonight. wait i don't think that's possible
DrMoney

Post by DrMoney »

I absolutely love how you dealt with this and completely agree on all points that you elaborated on in a intelligent way, but I think they may have meant this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... oTheFridge
The rest obviously is waaaay off base.

PS Please don't edit out the image, that shit is a new national treasure.
Yutrzenika

Post by Yutrzenika »

DoomNukem wrote:
fridged

Oh look, I'm fucking fridged, I'm a goddamn fridge call help!
You magnificent bastard. I request that Fridge be playable when the mod is released.
DoomNukem

Post by DoomNukem »

DrMoney wrote:I absolutely love how you dealt with this and completely agree on all points that you elaborated on in a intelligent way, but I think they may have meant this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... oTheFridge
The rest obviously is waaaay off base.

PS Please don't edit out the image, that shit is a new national treasure.
hahaha didnt know that, thanks for clearing it up, and I wont, learn something new everyday!
DrMoney

Post by DrMoney »

Yutrzenika wrote:You magnificent bastard. I request that Fridge be playable when the mod is released.
Holy shit, this would be perfect for a Extra-Stomp-Ass-Difficult difficulty ala Tofu from RE2!
DrMoney

Post by DrMoney »

DoomNukem wrote:hahaha didnt know that, thanks for clearing it up, and I wont, learn something new everyday!
Well to be fair, people really shouldn't assume every single term on TVtropes has melded into the common vernacular. I see that happen way too often lately.
DoomNukem

Post by DoomNukem »

DrMoney wrote:
DoomNukem wrote:hahaha didnt know that, thanks for clearing it up, and I wont, learn something new everyday!
Well to be fair, people really shouldn't assume every single term on TVtropes has melded into the common vernacular. I see that happen way too often lately.
Yeah it flew right over my head, dont really use TVtropes but it's not a bad idea for any future work stuff, i've heard a few but not this one.
DrMoney wrote:
Yutrzenika wrote:You magnificent bastard. I request that Fridge be playable when the mod is released.
Holy shit, this would be perfect for a Extra-Stomp-Ass-Difficult difficulty ala Tofu from RE2!
Hahaha yeah kind of reminded me of tofu, im seriously considering a Trailfreezer difficulty now that is ice cold.
DrMoney

Post by DrMoney »

I think Lampshade and MacGuffin are pretty much the only commonly known ones.

Ooh could the melee be the bottom door?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Jinal does not remember that other people are from other backgrounds and may haven't the slightest clue what he's on about.

Here's the fridge he's talking about:
The term "Women in Refrigerators" was coined by writer Gail Simone as a name for the website in early 1999 during online discussions about comic books with friends. It refers to an incident in Green Lantern #54 (1994), written by Ron Marz, in which Kyle Rayner, the title hero, comes home to his apartment to find that his girlfriend, Alex DeWitt, had been killed by the villain Major Force and stuffed in a refrigerator.

Simone and her friends then developed a list of fictional characters who had been "killed, maimed or depowered." The list was then circulated via the Internet over Usenet, Bulletin Board System, e-mail and electronic mailing lists. Simone also e-mailed many comic book creators directly for their responses to the list.

The list is considered “infamous” in certain comic book fan circles. Respondents often found different meanings to the list itself, though Simone maintained that her "simple point (had) always been: If you demolish most of the characters girls like, then girls won't read comics. That's it!"
I must say I agree with the overall gist of Jinal's judgment, however crudely and unconstructively expressed. The inclusion of the trope really taints the whole thing after having seen a truly dreary litany of examples of similar:

Doom's canonical sausage party in Hell is better off in at least being a total sausage party and thus avoiding gender issues altogether.

Better I think if, as far as motivations were concerned, the protag just fought this big bad for years and was one of the first people to realize how evil he was back when the developed West was still supporting him politically (hence "Trailblazer").
DrMoney

Post by DrMoney »

I do agree, but I think it's only in the name of his tongue-in-cheek emulation of the old typical action movies and their plots/characters. Straying from that would make it better in a different way but I feel like it suits the theme of the mod. Plus there's plenty of room to poke fun at that very cliche much like Far Cry: Blood Dragon or Zombieland (The dog)
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Perhaps, but in that case then there's too much emulation and not enough parody.

Should be taken over the top, like ::brainstorm::

- After shooting her, Vlad then stabs Mrs. Blazer's twitching corpse with a coat hanger to extract the fetus.
- TB loses his eye not in any fight against the bad guys, but in the ensuing melee when he talks about his "unborn daughter" at a political rally about abortion with very angry people on both sides.
- Vlad kills Mrs. B by dropping a fridge on her in a drone strike.
- Vlad stomps her head in in a Brütal Doom shoutout.
- And then eats the fetus.
- After the coat-hanger thing.
- And then puts the leftovers in the fridge.
- The fridge with the leftovers is a secret in one of the later levels.

EDIT: Or, alternatively, he just constantly broods about his loss but doesn't remember her name or their anniversary or anything about the in-laws and it's really obvious he was a shitty husband (possibly to the point where it's almost ambiguous if she was actually killed or if she left him and he's making this all up)
DrMoney

Post by DrMoney »

Eh, the fetus stuff seems like a bit much and the political tone could turn people off of it.

But these:
Vaecrius wrote:- Vlad kills Mrs. B by dropping a fridge on her in a drone strike.
EDIT: Or, alternatively, he just constantly broods about his loss but doesn't remember her name or their anniversary or anything about the in-laws and it's really obvious he was a shitty husband (possibly to the point where it's almost ambiguous if she was actually killed or if she left him and he's making this all up)
...are golden ideas.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Spoiler: fridged
dang it jinal, i didn't know you could say such an awesome word like that. most never seen. also i'm pretty sure he would add this fridge at his own wad for an easter egg, i think. :P
DoomNukem

Post by DoomNukem »

Vaecrius wrote:Perhaps, but in that case then there's too much emulation and not enough parody.

Should be taken over the top, like ::brainstorm::

- After shooting her, Vlad then stabs Mrs. Blazer's twitching corpse with a coat hanger to extract the fetus.
- TB loses his eye not in any fight against the bad guys, but in the ensuing melee when he talks about his "unborn daughter" at a political rally about abortion with very angry people on both sides.
- Vlad kills Mrs. B by dropping a fridge on her in a drone strike.
- Vlad stomps her head in in a Brütal Doom shoutout.
- And then eats the fetus.
- After the coat-hanger thing.
- And then puts the leftovers in the fridge.
- The fridge with the leftovers is a secret in one of the later levels.

Im sorry but not only do I completely disagree but I dont like any of those ideas they are way too violent overly gratuitous and seem like theyre trying too hard. I wasnt keen on making this political or including a statement about sexism in videogames. The parody is clear enough with the childish simplicity without adding any shock value or deliberate controversy. I wasnt even going to depict her getting shot or show her corpse, those suggestions strike me as tasteless and the jokes might even completely miss viewers.

This is actually almost finished and the due date is next wednsday I simply dont have time to make any drastic changes even if I wanted to. This is way over thinking it, I think ill leave it the way it is, I couldnt care less for dissecting it into tropes and whatnot.

In any case I could always do an extended version at a later point with fridge related murde maybe trailblazer could mock vlad as being a woman hater or something

Return to “Gameplay Mods”