Accessories to Murder (ww-doomnukem): on Github

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: Accessories to Murder (ww-doomnukem): Update 4-10

Post by Captain J »

the only weapon voxel sprites and ammos are enough for this wad, even it has out of qualities, but i can guarantee that only those voxels can change the difference.
electricbolt

Post by electricbolt »

After long hours playing with this mod I felt in love with it. My favorite.
Long feedback of suggestions.

- The hammer could deal slightly more damage. There were certain times were I found myself frustrated with no ammo, bashing demons and they just wouldn't die.

- The machine gun fires bursts of three rounds with slight hiccups between them, like trrr-trrr-trrr-trrr. I just feel that a continuous non-stop trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr would make for a more satisfying shooting.
Also I feel the magazine capacity for each clip could be raised from 20 rounds to 24. It might not seem much but those extra 4 rounds can make a huge difference in a bad situation.

- The sawed-of-shotgun won't auto-reload when firing each shell individually which can be a bit clunky. I also feel that firing both shells simultaneously could deal a bit more damage to the enemies ex: a Hell Knight should die after getting shot with two double-shots.
The sound of the double-shot could be more explosive as well, like a BOOM instead of a BANG, if you know what I mean (I'm terrible at describing sounds, lol).
The Zombiemen wielding shotguns could drop two shells instead of one.

- The standard shotgun seems a bit unbalanced.
It's capacity should be increased from 6 shells to 8 shells, and the fire-rate also being slightly increased.
Or keep the 6 shells max, but in return each shot dealing slightly more damage, ex: being able to kill a Cacodemon with 3 shells instead of 4.
The reloading speed should also be faster. If doomguy can reload the sawed-of-shotgun so fast, there´s no reason to take twice as much time for each shell to be loaded.

- When using the Chaingun, the insane amount of bullet cases on the floor can really affect performance and slow-down the game considerably, and it takes around a minute for each bullet case to disappear. I would suggest limiting the number of bullets cases on the floor.

- It's impossible to hear the impact of enemy bullets on the walls, from enemies that are far away.

- The Plasma Tanks have lightning speed response. I find extremely hard to pop-out from cover to shoot them without getting shot once. Plasma Tanks should be less responsive and hesitate a bit like the rest of the enemies, giving you just enough time to get back to cover safe and sound.

- The Spectre footsteps sound like coming from a ventilation fan, no joke.

- The HUD visor displays the monster, item and secret count at the upper left corner of the screen, and there's no way of turning it off in the "alternative HUD" options on zdoom. Some gamers, and me included, don't like to know how many secrets or enemies they're going to encounter, and that spoils it a bit. An option to turn it off would be much appreciated.
M_ZilLa

Post by M_ZilLa »

electricbolt wrote:After long hours playing with this mod I felt in love with it. My favorite.
Spoiler:
I agree with almost every point.
First off WW how have you been? I for one love A2M and have tried it with all my map wads.

I agree with making the map status HUD optional even though I would have it on. Gotta get those 100%s!
I actually made personal wads tweaking A2M (and changed most monster sounds to Unreal) especially the ammo because it's too harsh, especially with demons so hammer immune.
I think the plasma tanks would be awesome if they still fired fast but turned fairly slow. That way you could circle them instead of just corner popping them.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

just remember the single shotgun's damage is intensional, because that gun was supposed to be replacement of the super shotgun, and sawed off is replaces basic shotgun. intensionally opposite.

and about no sounds from bulletpuffs from enemies, that's what vanilla was used to be. but maybe weasel forgot about that, though.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

There's a small issue I've been meaning to mention, but haven't gotten around to it. I figured there was no real rush since production seems to have stalled anyway. But, I've found that if you're holding the sledge hammer or the pistol(s), picking up a weapon that you already own, but has an empty magazine, will switch to that weapon, even if you already had ammo for it in your pack. This is because most of these guns have their magazine set as their primary ammo, and their actual ammo pool as their secondary, and the algorithms behind the WEAPON.WIMPY_WEAPON flag check for primary ammo. This also means that picking up ammo from the ground, that you didn't already have, will not switch away from the sledge or pistols, the way it would in vanilla Doom. This all becomes a bit of a nuisance for me when I'm using the sledge, perhaps powered up with the Mjolnir device, and I keep getting switched away when I pick up more sawed-offs, just because the one I own has empty barrels (which I chose not to reload because I want to use those shells in the pump gun instead).

This can be fixed by swapping the primary and secondary ammo of each affected gun. I'd be happy to do the work on that myself, of course.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Or we could just remove WEAPON.WIMPY_WEAPON.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

That would work too. I just kinda figured the sledge and the 10mm were marked as such for a reason. But, your call.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

M_ZilLa wrote:I agree with making the map status HUD optional even though I would have it on. Gotta get those 100%s!
I agree, it takes up a lot of space on the automap. A much better idea I think would be placing them on the strife popup screen like Weasel did in Police Brutality. And also make it show total amounts.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Sledgehammers are manly weapons. Calling them wimpy is an insult to the art of bashing. :P
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I'd find it more manly if it had a wide sweeping swing like Serious Sam's. But maybe that's just because I'm a brutish psychopath. :3:
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

also, cannot move to dodge their projectile, lacks hammer-swing sprite and going to be hard to coding. hope doomnukem can make some extra sprites for that if he have a time to do.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

electricbolt wrote:After long hours playing with this mod I felt in love with it. My favorite.

- The machine gun fires bursts of three rounds with slight hiccups between them, like trrr-trrr-trrr-trrr. I just feel that a continuous non-stop trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr would make for a more satisfying shooting. [This is because AtM's AR skips one frame of its firing animation every other shot]

Also I feel the magazine capacity for each clip could be raised from 20 rounds to 24. It might not seem much but those extra 4 rounds can make a huge difference in a bad situation. [

- The sawed-of-shotgun won't auto-reload when firing each shell individually which can be a bit clunky. I also feel that firing both shells simultaneously could deal a bit more damage to the enemies ex: a Hell Knight should die after getting shot with two double-shots. [The sawed-off is intended to push mobs of demons away from you, not kill them efficiently - that's what the pump-action is for]

- The standard shotgun seems a bit unbalanced. [AtM's pump shotgun replaces the Super Shotgun, and is designed appropriately]
It's capacity should be increased from 6 shells to 8 shells, and the fire-rate also being slightly increased. [The pump's ammo capacity is a counter-balance to its damage and accuracy]
Or keep the 6 shells max, but in return each shot dealing slightly more damage, ex: being able to kill a Cacodemon with 3 shells instead of 4. [The pump shotty already deals the highest damage per shell, and is considerably more powerful and accurate than the vanilla Shotgun, which dispatches a Caco in no less than 5 shots]
The reloading speed should also be faster. If doomguy can reload the sawed-of-shotgun so fast, there´s no reason to take twice as much time for each shell to be loaded. [The reload is the other counter to the pump's greater ammo efficiency]
I was too lazy to separate each bullet into its own quote, so I replied in brackets.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

I have to say that I think the weapons are balanced pretty well as is. While the sawed-off isn't the strongest or the most efficient per shell, it's still quite powerful and you can't get another weapon with such great knockback. It reminds me of the Force-A-Nature.

Besides the mix-matched voxel situation at the moment, my only suggestion would be beefing up the attack of the knight and baron. They sort of pale in comparison to the other demons, especially the mancubus.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

The sawed-off can still kill chaingunners (sorry, riflemen) and lesser creatures with a well-placed shot, so no problem there. The Lost Soul is the next ugliest monster that can't be killed in one sawed-off blast but can in one trench gun volley - the damage needed only increases from that point. More efficient weapons are recommended for crowd-clearing or laying down damage on bigger monsters anyway!
electricbolt

Post by electricbolt »

TheRailgunner wrote:[The sawed-off is intended to push mobs of demons away from you, not kill them efficiently - that's what the pump-action is for]
Fair point, though when using the super shotgun in doom 2, a straight double-shot to a demon's face was a guaranteed kill, and now that isn't always the case. Increasing the damage slightly just to ensure that, would hurt... but maybe that's just me :) .
[The pump's ammo capacity is a counter-balance to its damage and accuracy]
[The pump shotty already deals the highest damage per shell, and is considerably more powerful and accurate than the vanilla Shotgun, which dispatches a Caco in no less than 5 shots]
[The reload is the other counter to the pump's greater ammo efficiency]
While I do agree that the ammo capacity, damage and reloading speed reductions, they all individually serve as a counter-balance to other weapons, all of them put together at once just deeply diminishes the pump shotgun's usage and importance facing certain enemies, in regards to other weapons such as, for instance, the automatic rifle. In vanilla doom the chaingun (which has been replaced with the SMG) was used to dispatch waves of weaker enemies such as the zombiemen, shotgun guys, chainguners and imps, and the shotgun/super-shotgun being the quicker alternative to bigger and stronger enemies at close range. That is no longer the case as the SMG, while steel being the way to go for clearing waves of weaker enemies, it also became more efficient than both the sawed-off and the pump shotgun in killing bigger and stronger enemies, and faster too, with it's rapid fire rate and rapid reloading speed, leaving little to no reason to use shotguns as long as you have magazine clips in your pocket. And the fact that SMG enemies drop full 20 round magazine clips as oppose to 1 shell per shotgun-guy, it further solidifies the reason for keeping the SMG at all times in your hands as you'll rarely run out of ammo. Increasing the pump shotgun's ammo capacity, reloading speed and, perhaps, fire-rate in the same way Brutal Doom did (or increase the damage instead), it only serves to enhance the difference between the two and solidify the purpose for each one of them in their given time, while keeping the gameplay varied, fast-paced and engaging. One of the enemies that highlighted this problem the most were Cacodemons, in which I had 3 or 4 of them surrounding me, and killing them all using the pump shotgun was painfully slow, and I found myself switching to the SMG all the time against this and other stronger foes due to being much quicker, and this really shouldn't be the case. Raising the shotgun's capacity to 8, and reloading speed (like in Brutal Doom), or the damage, in order to allow killing 2 Cacodemons/Hell Knights before reloading again will keep the gameplay fast-paced while further setting the shotgun and SMG apart from each other.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”