Accessories to Murder (ww-doomnukem): on Github

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Accessories to Murder (ww-doomnukem): on Github

Post by wildweasel »

That's...a Cyberdemon trying to target you through a wall.
loismustdie555

Post by loismustdie555 »

Any idea why it's doing that?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Not off-hand. I assume because it has some line of sight on you (I'm repurposing an Archvile attack for that lasersight effect; the "dot" graphic is temporary until I get some graphics to put in), but I'd really appreciate anybody else taking a poke at it to figure out what I'm doing wrong with it.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

For some reason sprites sometimes don't appear (such as enemies behind fences or outside dark areas)
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

MJ79 wrote:For some reason sprites sometimes don't appear (such as enemies behind fences or outside dark areas)
THat doesn't sound like a problem specifically with the mod. Does it happen without ww-doomnukem.pk3 loaded?
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

Software renderer? That happens a lot in software renderer whenever voxels are present.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

wildweasel wrote:
MJ79 wrote:For some reason sprites sometimes don't appear (such as enemies behind fences or outside dark areas)
THat doesn't sound like a problem specifically with the mod. Does it happen without ww-doomnukem.pk3 loaded?
It doesn't. Also tested with other weapon mods.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I've noticed this before. Take the imp behind the grate on Doom 2's MAP01 as an example:

At this angle the imp is visible:

However, if I turn towards him just a bit, it becomes invisible:

And just in case you think I'm messing with you, see, no imp!

I've only noticed this happening in this mod.
seedzhao

Post by seedzhao »

i´m experiencing something similar, but as you can see in another game and i´m not using weasel mod.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

Once again, it looks like software renderer. I don't just make stuff up, y'know.
seedzhao

Post by seedzhao »

yes, it seems you are right, Ed.
USSRBear

Post by USSRBear »

Im not exactly familiar with the layout of Github, how exactly does the download work? I've tried downloading the link and it just gives me a bunch of files and stuff. Sorry to sound daft.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Hey i don't think i've actually said anything about this mod except on the very first few pages (winter's fury was a new thing when i was posting); I just booted this up and, well, its pretty freaking awesome. I'm glad that Doomnukem's stuff is being used in a unique and refreshing manner... (i 've thanked pillowblaster for trailblazer as well), but this is pretty sweet, and thanks for making/improving on this mod!

as far as weapon mods go, this is a thoroughly enjoyable and well balanced mod. I'll see if i can come up with any critique for it, but its almost perfect as it is now. My only disappointment so far is that it would be nice to be able to just have weapons only; I've been playing with COLORFUL HELL quite a bit, and have been looking for the perfect mod for it. this comes close after i removed the monsters from the wad, though it'll take some more combing through to fix the drops.
jmickle

Post by jmickle »

I just tried this mod out and I've got some feedback:

My main issue is with the reloads, so I'll start with that. Every weapon feels really great to use, until you get to the reload stage. Not only are the reloads quite lengthy usually (biggest issues were with dual pistols and combat shotgun), but the fact that you had to stop shooting at all just completely broke my flow every single time. The reloading almost entirely ruined my enjoyment of this mod :~(

The SSG single-shot is a trope I've seen in a ton of mods nowadays and I honestly don't see the reason for it? In almost every case there is a normal standard shotgun available, much better suited for the purpose. The single-shot from SSG is like the worst of both worlds for the shotguns. After I realized right-click shot both barrels I never used the single-shot again, and never even saw a reason to. It's many many times more fun and practical to use both barrels exclusively.

The sound effects are mostly fantastic, but there were a few niggles. The switch hitting sound was always too quite to hear properly, for instance running round map07 and trying to lower the mancubi I could never hear if I actually hit the switch or not. The levels on a few other sounds caused similar very apparent gameplay issues. At first I thought it was just because the sound I was looking out for (the original doom sound) wasn't occurring but then I made the effort to learn the noise and listen out for it and still it was lost in the din. Health pickups are another that suffer from this.

Item pickup voxels: They look really cool for the most part but here are some crits. Armour bonus seems like a lazy voxelization of a really nice sprite. The sides just look silly to me. Same issue with the blue armor. Since you already have some items that use sprites instead of voxels, I would personally recommend switching those two back to sprites too.
Weapon voxels were very nice, but since they were always at a perfect 90 degree angle in the map, sometimes I would just completely not spot them. Could you possibly set them to a random angle when they spawn? this would improve the way they look (non-perfect angles kinda look cool) and also make them more clear in more circumstances. This also makes much more sense for random drops, seeing a bunch of perfectly lined up pistols on the floor looks a bit silly :~)

Everything else was pretty damn good, it's such a shame that the reloading was so flow-breaking for me else I wouldn't have minded the other issues. The weapon sprites are amazing as hell.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

I've seen more lengthy reloads in generally crappier mods. In this mod, I don't mind them so much, although I must admit not paying attention to when my clip is empty - which is when I reload - does get me killed sometimes! Also, the sawed-off is the regular shotgun and the trenchgun is the super in this mod - try playing AtM with Ultimate Doom, or mapsets for, to learn how to sawed-off better!

I want to make a suggestion for this mod. There needs to be a sixth difficulty called "Make My Day": all ammo pickups and all weapon pickups are revolver only. Wildweasel pls.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”