Weapons of Saturn v1.9

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Weapons of Saturn [UPDATE January 01, 2015]

Postby Ed the Bat » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:22 pm

So you're saying the Chainsaw is better than the BFG9000?
Ed the Bat
I'm tired. I want to go home.

Postby Sgt. Shivers » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:24 pm

Ed the Bat wrote:So you're saying the Plasma Rifle is better than the BFG9000?

Well not necessarily better, but you use it more often than the bfg. BFG is mostly for room clearing and boss killing, but you can use the Plasma rifle for just about anything and it chews up less ammo.
Sgt. Shivers

Discord: Sgt. Shivers #4769

Postby Ed the Bat » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:25 pm

It doesn't chew up less ammo if it takes more than 40 hits to kill something with it. But ok, check me out: I tossed up a better example to my point, up above. But I'll stop being coy and just get to the base of the matter here: you could make an argument that any weapon is better than any other under some circumstance or another, like maybe you'll say the chainsaw is a better weapon than the BFG if you have to kill one nearby Demon. Your point would be valid, but what I'm driving at here is that "better" can be such a subjective property. Naturally, you can't possibly expect the game engine to be able to judge something so subjective, can you? And Weapon.SelectionOrder is an absolute shit metric for that.
Ed the Bat
I'm tired. I want to go home.

Postby Sgt. Shivers » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:46 pm

I guess, but it would give mod makers the ability to order their weapons.
Sgt. Shivers

Discord: Sgt. Shivers #4769

Postby Doomguy5th » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:04 pm

wildweasel wrote:Try disabling automatic weapon switching; you'll find it in Player Setup.

Exactly what I do every time for my ZDoom Profile. I actually removed the 1911 in my custom version of WOS. But thanks weasel.
Ed the Bat wrote:So you're saying the Chainsaw is better than the BFG9000?

Lol I could make a mutator for a nuclear chainsaw.
Doomguy5th

Postby TheUnbeholden » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:09 pm

The creator of WoS said that the KeyConf files are deprecated, but I don't see how that is. Those older wads have keyconf files and override any changes that WoS provides. Before this "deprecation" it was possible for WoS's KeyConf to override their KeyConf when you load WoS last. Although these patches where still necessary to make sure the new weapons introduced by those wads actually show up when switching weapons.
Last edited by TheUnbeholden on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheUnbeholden

Postby clamchowder01 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:31 am

Did anyone get this to work with Zandronum? I tried it with Zandronum online with best ever server, but it says can't find weapons_of_saturn.pk3. I have placed the file in the Zandronum folder and .doomseeker windows user folder..
clamchowder01

Re: Weapons of Saturn [UPDATE February 11, 2015]

Postby Incantator » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:10 am

I quite like this mod; not a drastic change but enough to make me play a new game with this. A few comments about the mod:

(1) I think the download think on the main page is not up-to-date. I downloaded the version on the post (which was in the 17th on the bottom), and it contained 2 new handguns and the weapon change was way faster. Just a beta version?

(2) Wish guns automatically reload. It's very annoying since in many cases I just think the gun is ready but I have to reload thus wasting a quite a lot of time (esp with shotguns...).

(3) Wish it could contain a simple .txt file with some explanation about guns (just a simple one). For example, the difference between fire/alternate fire of chaingun. Just for graphical difference or rate of fire.... not 100% sure. 3 handguns in total, but other than the damage, not much difference. Especially the strong #2 slot handgun and plasma handgun even seem to deal similar amount of damage.

(4) It's just my opinion, but maybe changing slots a little bit would be more nice. Especially the plasma handgun... it's not so much useful than the plamsa rifle so I found no use of it. But anyway, why not put it in #2 slot? My brain tells me that guns should be grouped according to their usage, not their ammo type. If it is located in #2 slot, maybe I would use it more often. Also it might be a minor opinion, but I prefer assault rifle coming BEFORE chaingun. For cute little enemies, you use assault rifle; when hard thing comes in your way, you use chaingun. So I think the gun you might want to use more often should come before other guns. I'm just giving my thoughts, that's all.

(5) It might be just me, but BFG's white tone is a bit too strong that it rather looks like kind of a toy, not a devilish gun. It's just a minor gripe, really.

(6) I love your rocket launcher :)
Incantator

Postby Lippeth » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:23 pm

Hey thanks a lot!

I think you downloaded Hexereticdoom's version. The main version is on the first page.

I definitely plan to at least make the shotguns reload automatically, and the purpose of the plasma minigun alt-fire is to do more damage at the cost of using more ammo, so hopefully it evens out as far as balance goes.
Lippeth
Metalvangelist

Discord: Lippeth#2552

Postby Incantator » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:23 pm

Lippeth wrote:Hey thanks a lot!

I think you downloaded Hexereticdoom's version. The main version is on the first page.

I definitely plan to at least make the shotguns reload automatically, and the purpose of the plasma minigun alt-fire is to do more damage at the cost of using more ammo, so hopefully it evens out as far as balance goes.

Sorry, I should have noticed the authors are different... my bad :3: Most of my comments are not appropriate then. I just think the speed of changing weapons could be a bit faster but that might ruin the original atmosphere of doom so I'm fine with either case. Keep up your work!
Incantator

Postby Patriot1776 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:15 pm

What mappack is that on the first page in the screencap?
Patriot1776

Postby Somagu » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:39 pm

Somagu

Postby lizardcommando » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:21 pm

I noticed in the coding that there is a machine pistol. Are you going to re-add that into the mod when you get new sprites for it?
lizardcommando
Thread killer

Postby Lippeth » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:58 pm

I started that when experimenting with what kind of pistol to use as the starting weapon. I don't really plan on adding it to this mod, but I left the code in just in case someone wants to make it override the main pistol. I also might use it for another mod, but who knows.

Also, Monster Hunter Ltd I and II are definitely worth a play through!
Lippeth
Metalvangelist

Discord: Lippeth#2552

Postby chelonian » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:50 pm

So I guess that's the fate of the Dual Berettas as well?
chelonian

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods