Weapons of Saturn v2.0b

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Weapons of Saturn [UPDATE December 26, 2014]

Postby Carbine Dioxide » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:45 am

That happens to me upon running WOS, I never know when I got a key.
Carbine Dioxide
Me and Pain go way back.

Postby mumblemumble » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:59 pm

Love the mod, but I have one small gripe. When I use this with smooth doom (because thats the best almost vanilla combo ive seen) the standard pistol is the smooth doom variant, meaning mechanically speaking it is the normal doom pistol, slow fire rate, no clips...kind of disapointing. Patchable? Also I've ran into the key issue as well.
mumblemumble
King of typos

Postby Lippeth » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:37 pm

Smooth Doom has a monsters only version which should make it 100% compatible with my mod. As far as the HUD goes, I've never had an issue with the keys not lighting up so I don't know where the problem is to fix it. I did however take a look at all the guts to see if there was any issue, and ended up just changing the color of the secondary ammo font to white instead of red. I could make the unlit key areas darker so the lights show up with more vibrance, but I've never had a problem with them not showing up at all.
Lippeth
Metalvangelist

Discord: Lippeth#2552

Postby BonusChild » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:56 pm

I like this wad a lot. My only real complaint is that the shotgun's aiming sprite is pretty ugly. Other than that every thimg else is great.
BonusChild

Postby Skrell » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:34 pm

What map is being shown in the OP's pic http://i.imgur.com/gTuTZnm.png ?
Skrell

Postby Devianteist » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:55 pm

Lippeth wrote:Smooth Doom has a monsters only version which should make it 100% compatible with my mod. As far as the HUD goes, I've never had an issue with the keys not lighting up so I don't know where the problem is to fix it. I did however take a look at all the guts to see if there was any issue, and ended up just changing the color of the secondary ammo font to white instead of red. I could make the unlit key areas darker so the lights show up with more vibrance, but I've never had a problem with them not showing up at all.

Tried running the HUD without WOS again and with WOS; the lights work. I guess I've just never noticed. Maybe darkening the unlit areas could indeed help?
Devianteist
Dev, resident lurking user.

Discord: #0561

Postby mumblemumble » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:47 pm

I've noticed more and more that the rocket launcher "low slung" position also fires rockets lower and while I understand why (aesthetics) I think its kind of a bitch gameplay wise shooting straight out a window seems impossible without gibbing yourself, and bouncing nades are tricky being so low to the ground. I get its their for aesthetics but is it at all worth it? I personally think such a minor detail isn't worth that much grief (unless maybe this is a weird attempt to balance the weapon?)

Also, any chance you could make the chainsaw altfire get a berzerker boost? BD sperglord was amazing partially because in some maps you could use the berz chainsaw to become a super powerful brawler, high risk and high reward. And it makes sense considering you are swinging it around.

Lastly you mentioned the idea of reworking the plasma... Will you at least make a side mod for it? I'd personally like to see it if you are up to it.
mumblemumble
King of typos

Postby Rustygold » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:43 pm

Ok I got a few rants I need to get out about the balancing of some weapons. First, The SSG: Why would the SSG In any Doom mod have an alt fire that makes the combat shotgun useless? Seriously the SSG fired only both barrels at once for a reason. It was to conserve ammo and to mow down smaller enemies faster. And the BFG ugh..... Seriously just take the Alt fire off It just makes It over powered.
Rustygold
They should call you smooth Doom cause you're good at this game -Random chick

Discord: #4939

Postby Lippeth » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:14 pm

Skrell wrote:What map is being shown in the OP's pic http://i.imgur.com/gTuTZnm.png ?

Monster Hunter Ltd. Part I which is on page 2 of the 2014 Cacowards over at Doomworld.
BonusChild wrote:I like this wad a lot. My only real complaint is that the shotgun's aiming sprite is pretty ugly. Other than that every thimg else is great.

Agreed, I'll see what I can do to snazz it up.
mumblemumble wrote:I've noticed more and more that the rocket launcher "low slung" position also fires rockets lower and while I understand why (aesthetics) I think its kind of a bitch gameplay wise shooting straight out a window seems impossible without gibbing yourself, and bouncing nades are tricky being so low to the ground. I get its their for aesthetics but is it at all worth it? I personally think such a minor detail isn't worth that much grief (unless maybe this is a weird attempt to balance the weapon?)

Oddly enough I've never noticed that, it was not intentional and it will be fixed in the next update.

As far as adding berserk to the chainsaw, I feel that' it's sort of trivial because the chainsaw is what you use for pinkys until you pick up a berserk pack, and then you automatically switch to your fists which do enough damage to justify not adding anything to the chainsaw. I could just increase the damage to the secondary chainsaw attack indefinitely in order to one-shot pinkys and lost souls.
Rustygold wrote:Ok I got a few rants I need to get out about the balancing of some weapons. First, The SSG: Why would the SSG In any Doom mod have an alt fire that makes the combat shotgun useless? Seriously the SSG fired only both barrels at once for a reason. It was to conserve ammo and to mow down smaller enemies faster. And the BFG ugh..... Seriously just take the Alt fire off It just makes It over powered.

Firing one barrel from the SSG is still more powerful than the riot gun at close range. I made it do the exact same damage as the original SSG with a similar spread, and splitting it into two shots cuts it in half exactly, so two fast shots will take down a pinky just the same as a double blast, which the riot gun might take three shots. And because of the wider spread, even firing one barrel into multiple enemies is ultimately more effective than one shot from the riot gun. But the riot gun fires faster overall and is still more effective one on one against low level enemies and at longer ranges.

The BFG is supposed to be overpowered because it's the BFG.
Lippeth
Metalvangelist

Postby Hexereticdoom » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:43 am

Hello there! A new version is available for WOS-HXRTC! :)

This release includes almost the same changes than the official WOS 25+26/12/2014 updates, except for Riot Gun reloading frames and Rotary Cannon's ammo capacity. Also the next changes/improvements have been included:

- Now you can obtain a little more often Berettas/1911s/Combat Rifles from Zombies, as well as their respective ammo clips.
- Restored the previously unused/deprecated Chaingun Ammo Box. You'll be able to find some of them in place of normal Ammo Boxes or MP40's.
- Minor graphic retouches to Beretta's drop-sprite and halved resolution for Chaingun Ammo Box in accordance with the rest of Doom's item/ammo drop-sprites.
- Improved the MP40's secondary fire frame-shooting sequence.
- Fixed-forced the priority of Slot-4 weapons (Rotary Cannon has now the highest priority, and Combat Rifle has now the lowest one.)
- Fixed the problem related to the Waffen Nazis, which not always were replacing the classic SS Blue Soldiers. (To be precise, using DoomID number in the actors def corrects this issue.)
- Some other minimal changes and fixes.

DOWNLOAD WOS-HXRTC Update 3: http://www.mediafire.com/download/37j003gi17948xg/WOS_HXRTC-U3.7z

Cheerio and Merry Christmas! :cheers: :joker:
Hexereticdoom
Don't make me angry or I'll bite you! Heheheee...

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Captain J » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:56 am

i was wondering, will you add puffsound for bulletpuffs? every puffs are perfect but this one. and when i zoom an assault rifle and started to fire, the laser sight suddenly flickering. and would be nice if plasma rifle's idle frame can get a hand, too.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby mumblemumble » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:07 pm

Lippeth wrote:
As far as adding berserk to the chainsaw, I feel that' it's sort of trivial because the chainsaw is what you use for pinkys until you pick up a berserk pack, and then you automatically switch to your fists which do enough damage to justify not adding anything to the chainsaw. I could just increase the damage to the secondary chainsaw attack indefinitely in order to one-shot pinkys and lost souls.

I have to disagree about the berserk being better than chainsaw, which is why I brought it up, the dps (which also stunlocks damn near anything mind you) of the chainsaw is enough to rip up a hell-knight in around 1 second flat. This is for the primary fire alone, and im pretty sure the berserker and chainsaw swing for the most part don't even touch that kind of damage.
mumblemumble
King of typos

Re: Weapons of Saturn [UPDATE January 01, 2015]

Postby Lippeth » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:24 pm

Fixed the flickering of the combat rifle's laser sight and raised the projectiles from the Saturn V so you don't blow yourself up when firing from cover. I really don't know how I missed that all this time.

Also darkened the key lights on my custom HUD a bit for more contrast when they light up. It isn't drastic, but it does pop out a bit more.
Lippeth
Metalvangelist

Postby Agitatio » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:04 pm

Hey Lippeth. There is a known issue with models with transparent textures being visible through sprites. Can you make adjustments to your version of Ketchup to solve this issue? Just a little nitpick.
Agitatio

Discord: Agitatio#4183

Postby Hexereticdoom » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:55 am

And here it comes the 4th update for WOS-HXRTC! :3:

Apart from including the official 01-01-2015 fixings (of course), it features also the following stuff:

- New item available: the Mini-Berserk pack! Looks like the classic Stimpack, but in black. This little goodie will help you in your way quite often, but it works a bit different than the standard Berserk Pack. Mini-Berserk will allways give you a +10 HP (without exceeding the 200 HP in total) plus the 'berserk' state, of course. Where are them, do you say? You'll be able to find some of these in place of normal Stimpacks (through randomizer, with a probability of 20% aproximately).
- Featuring some new trash/junk items(*)! As the Mini-Berserk counterpart, and by using more new randomizers, now it is also possible that in your doomish adventures you encounter some wasted, unusable items (broken stimpacks and medikits, empty ammo boxes, ruined bonus and more) so this can make your way a bit harder. Those damned monsters have no mercy even with special objects! :twisted:
- Now all the sphere items (SoulSphere, MegaSphere, BlurSphere and Invuln. Sphere) will have a magical floating-bob movement, same way as most of items in Hexetic and Hexen games.
- Restored classic armor-bonus helmet graphic (by aesthetic reasons with new graphics included).
- Some other minimal fixes.

(*): Graphic resources taken from this thread.

DOWNLOAD WOS-HXRTC Update 4: http://www.mediafire.com/download/k7q782xzx4wuh8e/WOS_HXRTC-U4.7z

See you next time! B-)
Hexereticdoom
Don't make me angry or I'll bite you! Heheheee...

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods