Weapons of Saturn

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Lippeth

Re: Weapons of Saturn [UPDATE August 09, 2015]

Post by Lippeth »

Chronohunter45 wrote:Greetings!

Longterm doomworld member here of 14+ years.

Been looking for a modern - yet classic - fullscreen hud for a while, and I love the work you've done.

I'm a modder myself, so I made a few changes for my taste, and would like to respectfully present the work to the original content creators.

CHANGES:
+Added XDeathFace to MugShot - used the jaguar sprites for the exploding face we dug up over at doomworld. Cleaned them up and made them transparency PNGs and I think they came out nicer than the ones found on PSX.
*Cleaned up small artifacts from when you moved the "health", "armor", and "ammo" labels to the corners, and restored them to center of their respective blocks (personal preference).
+Restored the percentile markers (just not classic without them, IMO).
-Removed BTSX style key indicators.
*Replaced key indicator blocks with monitor-styled key indicator blocks in the style of SFACE (MugShot in upper left block) with scanlines.
+Added original key indicators (overlayed by scanlines of course).
*Adjusted transparency to personal preference.
*Fixed compatibility with Zandronum. Strange bug. Zan won't run with parenthesis around ammo type. I.E. changed "drawnumber 3, INDEXFONT_DOOM, untranslated, ammo(Clip)" to "drawnumber 3, INDEXFONT_DOOM, untranslated, ammo Clip".

Enjoy!

http://www.**LINK_DISABLED**.org/download?file= ... an1_13.pk3
This is great! The shock face is hilarious. This is now my go-to hud for mods with a reloading mechanic. Thanks for this!
Lippeth

Re: Weapons of Saturn [UPDATE October 31st, 2015]

Post by Lippeth »

Happy Halloween! Here's a minor update to make this mod more compatible with different color palettes by removing color translation and changing the BFG projectile sprites. The plasma rifle's secondary fire is now something of a plasma rocket, exploding on impact causing splash damage to all but the player, also cell packs and rad suits now make a sound.

EDIT: I also added another bell sound in addition to the existing secret sound.
Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Superb job my friend Lippeth, please keep it up! :thumb:
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

Great job with this so far just got a question will you make it compatible with woolie wools mutiny mod?
Hellser
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Wasn't aware this was updated. Great job by the way. Though I do have to say I'm not too much of a fan of the new sounds (even though they make perfect sense!). A personal preference more than anything. The alt-fire for the Plasma Rifle / Nova Rifle is a great addition to the gun - and nonetheless, better than what I was playing with before.

If you're continuing this - good job. If anyone is looking for a good mod - this will be a decent addition to your arsenal.
Neccronixis

Post by Neccronixis »

Is there a way to fix the chainsaw sounds (saw/flesh) interrupting each other when attacking a monster?
CasualScrub

Post by CasualScrub »

I am having a weird issue. For some reason I can manually reload. I've got the reload button set in the controls menu, but I just can't now, and I have no idea why.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

CasualScrub wrote:I am having a weird issue. For some reason I can manually reload. I've got the reload button set in the controls menu, but I just can't now, and I have no idea why.
Updating your source port to the latest dev build should fix that issue.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Hellser wrote:Wasn't aware this was updated. Great job by the way. Though I do have to say I'm not too much of a fan of the new sounds (even though they make perfect sense!). A personal preference more than anything. The alt-fire for the Plasma Rifle / Nova Rifle is a great addition to the gun - and nonetheless, better than what I was playing with before.

If you're continuing this - good job. If anyone is looking for a good mod - this will be a decent addition to your arsenal.
Thanks! I set out to keep it simple and try to add a fun touch to the vanilla experience and I feel pretty satisfied, so I don't really plan to make any more changes or additions other than fixing compatibility issues that may come up in the future. I do encourage anyone to add and change what they want to their tastes because I can be pretty dense with people's feedback and only implement what makes it fun for me. I left some of the old sounds in the file for anyone who doesn't like the new ones, I actually changed the coach gun's sound not because it sounded better (and I don't really think it does) but because I thought it fit better with the other weapon sounds. And while I don't plan to add anything else to the mod, and I've gone quiet on the forum for the most part due to school, I still practice mapping and plan to release a small map set in the next few months. I haven't started another gameplay mod simply because I haven't had a good idea for one.
Neccronixis wrote:Is there a way to fix the chainsaw sounds (saw/flesh) interrupting each other when attacking a monster?
Because the saw/flesh sound files are so long they would overlap each other and be way too loud and obnoxious if I didn't have them interrupt each other.
armymen12002003 wrote:Great job with this so far just got a question will you make it compatible with woolie wools mutiny mod?
I don't plan to do that mainly because it would replace half of what makes that mod it's own and certain aspects are reliant on its own weapons like the flame thrower.
CasualScrub

Post by CasualScrub »

Lippeth wrote:
CasualScrub wrote:I am having a weird issue. For some reason I can manually reload. I've got the reload button set in the controls menu, but I just can't now, and I have no idea why.
Updating your source port to the latest dev build should fix that issue.
It's working now! Thanks.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Hellser, what sounds in particular did you not like? You're not the first person to say something about the new sounds and I may want to compromise to find a balance between the new changes and the old sounds.
NullWire

Post by NullWire »

What about to add the rapid fire zombieman? No that variant with yellow hair, just make the zombie man shoots like they are using their m4's Also adds more difficulty to the mod, the pistol pickup sprite is so big, the rifle sprite is a little bit.. rare...

What's suposed the secondary fire of the plasma gun does?

Also, the coach gun pickup sprite is gray with green I guess? What about to make the brown part of the coach gun gray/ darker dull green?
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

NullWire wrote:What about to add the rapid fire zombieman? No that variant with yellow hair, just make the zombie man shoots like they are using their m4's Also adds more difficulty to the mod, the pistol pickup sprite is so big, the rifle sprite is a little bit.. rare...
I removed all enemy changes so you can load in your own monster packs.
This is the reason I ended up removing the MP40 and .45. With no custom Nazis there was no reason for them to exist. I think someone made a version adding them back in. I really liked the .45 but I just can't think of a reason for it to exist, plus I wanted all the weapons to be streamlined, doing more with less which is why everything has a secondary fire, and sometimes I wonder what purpose the rifle has other than making the game easier.

The code for the custom Zombiemen is actually still in the mod, I just removed it from the Decorate list. Feel free to add it back in with Slade.
NullWire wrote:What's suposed the secondary fire of the plasma gun does?
Splash damage that doesn't hurt you. It's sort of like a rocket made out of plasma.
NullWire wrote:Also, the coach gun pickup sprite is gray with green I guess? What about to make the brown part of the coach gun gray/ darker dull green?
I don't know what to say about that. The sprite I used is a brown sawed-off. I'm starting to think you're playing someone else's version of this mod.

EDIT: I guess I should say something about updates since I just bumped this for no real reason.

I plan to halfway revert to older sounds. The new sounds do have quite a bit of unnecessary reverb and can take up too much audio real estate.

I'm also thinking of replacing the ADS for the riot gun with either slugs or something of an incendiary shot. The only problem with the latter is that without changing monster animations, it might feel a little weird to kill something with fire and not have it die a fiery death. If I use slugs (or any other ammo, for that matter), to make it more believable I would have to animate the player ejecting all shells and reloading the new ammo which would take way too long. I got by with the chaingun's secondary because I tried to make it seem like the barrels spin faster, (charging the bullets with plasma-like friction, maybe?) and have it chew through ammo twice as fast. I've also thought about making the riot gun's secondary a grenade attachment that uses rocket ammo from the inventory, but I'm afraid that might make gameplay too easy. If anyone has any ideas, I would be grateful. Or if you think it's fine the way it is, that's cool too.
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

Lippeth wrote: I'm also thinking of replacing the ADS for the riot gun with either slugs or something of an incendiary shot. The only problem with the latter is that without changing monster animations, it might feel a little weird to kill something with fire and not have it die a fiery death. If I use slugs (or any other ammo, for that matter), to make it more believable I would have to animate the player ejecting all shells and reloading the new ammo which would take way too long.
You could make a toggle button that decides which ammo type will be loaded next time. This way, the chosen ammo type will be loaded only when you reload, and you will actually fire it only after you have depleted previously loaded ammo type. And this solution omits the need for a seperate unloading animation.
As for the choice between slugs vs. incendiary - you do not really have to make different death sprites for the flame shot. Plasma gun does not induce unique death animation either, and it fires projectiles bazillion times hotter than anything fiery. It should turn anything it touches into a smelting soup, yet it does not. So I would not bother that much if incendiary shot does not have its own death animation.
But which one to choose? Well, I do not really have a preference here. Slugs give you more range, but incendiary is more effective upclose. For me, it boils down to whether you want to give the riot gun more range and accuracy, or better stopping power at close range. Do as you please.
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

Hey! Glad to see the thread is back. :) This mod has always been a favourite of mine.
Some of the old sounds are nice, but some of the new sounds are pretty good too. Maybe keep some of them, like the SSG sound? I personally really like it. :D

Return to “Gameplay Mods”