Weapons of Saturn

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] Weapons of Saturn

Post by Ed the Bat »

Instead of putting the decal on the weapon, put it on the bulletpuff, so it'll be unique to the bullets and not every attack (including the lasers) out of that weapon.
FLYBAT

Post by FLYBAT »

This mod is good!
But has a sprite problem on the rifle and shotgun. During some animations there is a one-pixel gap between the screen border and the weapon sprite.
Also the minigun looks overpowered. Compare how does the plasma rifle and the minigun deal with Cyberdemon. Minigun easily wins. There has to be an appeal to use the plasma rifle.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Not bad. I liked it. The only critique I've got is I feel as though the shotgun cocking sound plays much faster than the animation itself.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

FLYBAT wrote:This mod is good!
But has a sprite problem on the rifle and shotgun. During some animations there is a one-pixel gap between the screen border and the weapon sprite.
Also the minigun looks overpowered. Compare how does the plasma rifle and the minigun deal with Cyberdemon. Minigun easily wins. There has to be an appeal to use the plasma rifle.
Thanks a lot! Damage types have now been fixed and balanced to the best of my ability. As for the weapon sprites, I don't see any pixel gaps at my resolution so I would have to lower them all by one to make sure. Is it in the reload, zoomed or regular cycles?
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

Does the minigun no longer have shotgun-like bulletpuffs? Haven't gotten the new version yet, where you've fixed the damagetypes, if it's been uploaded, but I noticed that in my recent build, downloaded yesterday.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

I really like this HUD, it is incredibly awesome. Would you mind if I edited it a little?
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

zrrion the insect wrote:I really like this HUD, it is incredibly awesome. Would you mind if I edited it a little?
You are absolutely more than welcome. Post a link when you're done, I'd like to see it!
Ed the Bat wrote:Instead of putting the decal on the weapon, put it on the bulletpuff, so it'll be unique to the bullets and not every attack (including the lasers) out of that weapon.
It took me a second to fully grasp what you were implying for some reason, but it just hit me and is now implemented, so thanks again for another helpful solution!

As far as updates go, I tend to update the same link at complete random. I'll make an effort to add a date next to it so nobody's left wondering.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

Yeah that'll make the jobs of people over in this thread http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=28589 easier.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

I've just run into an odd sort of problem with some of the sprites in this mod that I don't know how to fix, and that is if you pick up an invulnerability sphere while invisible, the bordering outline for certain sprites will glow in the most unflattering manner as shown below.
Spoiler:
I edit using Paint.Net, but it only seems to affect certain sprites. Any suggestion as to what it could be would be appreciated, although it's not necessarily going to break the game if left alone.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

That effect is a result of any sprite with a partial transparency (on even a single pixel) when using a long-outdated GL renderer (as in, the bug is long-since fixed).

Set all graphics to use all-or-nothing transparency.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Do you run around this forum nonstop to rescue modders in distress? You seem to have a solution for everything, moments after I ask. Like some sort of Zdoom superhero, which is actually very impressive and commendable!

Anywhey, as always I'm still a bit unclear as to exactly where or what program to make the backgrounds 100% transparent. I only wonder because I remove all backgrounds in Paint.Net. So technically it shouldn't be happening, although it doesn't on some sprites that I've given the exact same procedure to. Is this something I should be doing in Slade?

Sorry for being so dense all the time. I'm really not that learned with this sort of thing, and despite my hands being generally resourceful, they still need to be held to cross certain streets. I need an adult...
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I've spent so much of my life hoping people would call me a superhero. That made my day! :D

And I wouldn't call you dense. These things can be tricky, or downright bizarre and baffling. I just happen to have seen a lot of them first-hand and learned how to approach them.

Have you ever used GIMP? It's a free image editor that could be considered like a poor man's Photoshop. I use that for most things involving transparency, since MSPaint doesn't handle that and I'm too cheap to spring for high-end software. 'Fraid I'm not versed in Paint.Net, but does it have any options involving transparency/alpha settings? If it has anything that can control pixel transparency, I still suspect that there would be stray pixels with partial transparency.

Actually, know what? Let me just take a quick look myself. Wanna make sure I diagnosed the problem correctly, lest I just waste everyone's time. Does the most recent download have this problem?
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Yes, the problem should be present in the latest version. I have Gimp somewhere on my computer, downloaded it about the same time I found Paint.Net, but I for some reason gravitated toward the latter because I guess it was easier to use out of the box. I haven't seen anything regarding alpha or transparency (doesn't mean it's not there) other than just being able to select sections and delete them.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Ah yep, I see it. The grenade launcher, for instance, has a lot of transparent pixels along the edge of the cylinder. It provides for a reasonable anti-alias effect (which you could very well get away with ditching, since low-resolution images are expected in Doom games), but in old GL renderers (were you using Zandronum?), the 'box' glitch you say will appear in zero-contrast color maps (such as invulnerability).
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Dang, I was hoping that's what it wasn't. Anytime I resize or rotate anything in Paint.Net it automatically does that and I don't always do anything about it. I do most in-game testing with GZdoom 1.8.02, on an underwhelming laptop with integrated graphics. I know that converting the graphics to the DOOM palette does its best to do the job for me, but it ends up looking inconsistent, plus I like the versatility of .png files for things that use their own color palette.

Thanks a million for the diagnosis, Doc! Looks like I have an exhausting sprite trimming party ahead of me. Shouldn't be too bad. I only have myself to blame for them not being properly trimmed in the first place.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”