Weapons of Saturn

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cardboard Marty
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Weapons of Saturn [UPDATE May 09, 2018]

Post by Cardboard Marty »

I'm really liking the new update! The guns feel really great and refreshing, excellent work!

I do have a minor nitpick, a lot of the sprites have semi-transparent pixels at the edges that are quite noticeable in-game. It's not the end of the world or anything, but I think they'd look better without them!

Again, amazing work!! Great stuff!
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Cardboard Marty wrote:a lot of the sprites have semi-transparent pixels at the edges that are quite noticeable in-game.
I am still using a few sprites that I edited in the early days of learning how to do all this. I do plan to sit down one weekend and clean everything up.

As far as the MP40 altfire goes, I've conjured up an idea, but I'm still working out a few kinks.
https://i.imgur.com/GLSXoU4.mp4

Let me know if this looks fun or if I should go back to the drawing board.
0mrcynic0
Location: The corner of "screw off" and "none of your business."

Post by 0mrcynic0 »

Lippeth wrote: As far as the MP40 altfire goes, I've conjured up an idea, but I'm still working out a few kinks.
https://i.imgur.com/GLSXoU4.mp4

Let me know if this looks fun or if I should go back to the drawing board.
A definite yes.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

A really neat dual-wield replacement! Keep it.
Neccronixis

Post by Neccronixis »

Removing semi transparent pixels from sprites is a pain in the neck. The best method I have found is to index the colours of a sprite - this way you can assign a palette to the sprites however you will only have 256 colours available.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Neccronixis wrote:Removing semi transparent pixels from sprites is a pain in the neck. The best method I have found is to index the colours of a sprite - this way you can assign a palette to the sprites however you will only have 256 colours available.
Always an option. My method is to add a white layer underneath the sprite in a paint program, merge the layers to force out any transparency, and clean up the edges manually. It's very tedious but ensures that each sprite looks the best it can.
Toberone

Post by Toberone »

Just a heads up I too was curious about the transparency problem and I found there was a plug-in for paint.net made by this dude BoltBait in a pack for like version 4.06 on the paint.net forums.

Came with Alpha adjuster that made getting those things completely opaque really easy, no Manual layering required, just slid the slider up and bam. Figured you'd be interested.
wanisea

Re: Weapons of Saturn [UPDATE October 19, 2018]

Post by wanisea »

The gun details are fine overall, but can you replace the plasma rifle gun?
The details of the original plasma rifle are so well made that I wish I could replace it.
Then it will be a great work.
I hope the Plasma secondary attack was made in the form of a rail gun.
I am eagerly awaiting the revision.
Thank you for making it.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Sure, anything for a great work. Thanks for the feedback!
Assassin of Purity
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Assassin of Purity »

Maybe add the option to have the original Combat Shotgun (double barreled) sprite and have Nazis drop MP40s?
That One Guy

Post by That One Guy »

Can I Use This Mod For A Mod I Am Almost Done With? I Don't Know If I Need Permission To Use This Mod For Another Mod,But I Don't Want To Risk It.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

You can absolutely use this mod for your project! I do recall asking people to get permission from me first and crediting properly, but I still find certain assets popping up in projects without permission and credits, so at this point I say it's fair game either way.

I'm also working on a new plasma rifle for this project. I'll link a photo/video in the next few hours, but I may need help with the reload sprites from some more talented sprite artists if anyone is interested in taking a crack at it.
wanisea

Post by wanisea »

Thank you for your response to my request.
I am sorry that it seems to be burdened.
Vigilante

Post by Vigilante »

I wanted to report that this is a very solid, very enjoyable mod, and I understand why several mods are based on this.
However I think it has a problem of bullet ammo management. No matter what kind of map I play, I see that I am quickly out of bullets for the weapon I'm using, while topping off the bullets (can't collect) for weapon which I'm not using (or don't own yet). This is especially visible for the assault rifle, which can use up its entire ammo capacity in 20 seconds, reloads included !
I think this is mostly caused by the use of 4 different kinds of bullets.
This has made me toy with DECORATE, and I think that merging them into 2 ammo categories instead of 4 already goes a long way towards solving the issue ; I switch weapons more because the situation requires it, and less "in order to rotate ammo".
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Thanks for the feedback! The reason certain ammo types are so rare is because weapons like the assault rifle and .45 are designed to be more like powerup items rather than more utilitarian weapons like the shotguns. The reason the starting pistol and mp40 share ammo is that they physically would in real life, and they can be fired together so it made sense to have them share.

If the ammo is too scarce when you play, I definitely encourage you to rebalance it all you like, if it's not fun, it should be made more fun!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”