Weapons of Saturn

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] Weapons of Saturn

Post by Ed the Bat »

If you decide to take some time to familiarize yourself with GIMP (I know it can take some getting used to; I'm kind of a slow learner and it took me a long time to grasp some of the functions), you can use the 'Threshold Alpha' function to quickly make everything fully opaque/translucent, which should make the process a breeze; just a couple of clicks for each image, and you're done!
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

I'm definitely giving that a try, thanks! What I'm dreading the most is having to readjust the offsets for each sprite in Slade when I'm done.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Just be sure to remember/record the offsets before replacing the existing lumps. At least then it's a simple (albeit tedious) copy of values to the newly refined lumps.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

You could try converting the images to 8-bit PNG. You can still use customized palettes for each image, but their alpha channel will be converted to binary on/off transparency.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

saturnited awesome works there! and i tried your whole weapons little bit, and here's my opinions;

first is, the only chainsaw has a custom puff but fist and rest of weapons. so, do you have any minds for making a another custom puffs that fits for every weapons just like a glove?

second is, it's not a awkward glitch or something, but classical both barrel firing double barrel shotgun is not evolved at this wad in my eye, just fires both rather then add a single fire and double fire at this weapon. well, it's just a fact though.

third is, minigun is using a 1 ammo each 1 shot, but i see the too many of bullet puffs, like a auto shotgun with an belt fed.

i'm not pushing you, it's just your decides to do it. also i wanna see the BFG replacement at next update too. otherwise, nice works!
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

after check it i must say, i just feel like i got the weapons of brutal doom, same rifle, same shotgun (even the shoting was diferent which is a plus), same rocket launcher with diferent sprite and same plasma gun, over all nothing new or realy diferent from what is on the market yet as always thing can change and get much much better ;)
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

esselfortium wrote:You could try converting the images to 8-bit PNG. You can still use customized palettes for each image, but their alpha channel will be converted to binary on/off transparency.
Worked like a charm. Thanks, man!
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

aid:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=26792 - my enhanced rott pistol sprites with decorate
That will help with sprites...

requests:
I would like this to be compatible with monster packs, is there any way that this can be streamlined for that?

balance critique:

pistol is always accurate when shot single, but wide when shot automatically; i would rather it always be somewhat inaccurate. you can use sequential attacks to make the first attack be fairly accurate, while subsequent attacks would be more loose; you can have as many subsequent attacks as it needs, actually.

Rocket launcher... god that rockets slow! maybe speed it up a tad?

Double shotty is MUCH better with the accuracy, but why not a single barrel attack? sometimes i only want to do one barrel at a time.

single shotty is good, but i feel that a different sprite would be more appropriate since that is obviously the BD shotgun, and of course, the gun shoots faster and does more damage than the vanilla shotgun, which is good, but that lightning fast reload makes this gun almost better than the double barrel. reload should take twice as long. also, cory whittle did an interesting shotgun with a strap you might consider.... http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... start=1110

The mod is DCDEMO by cory whittle, who sorta evaporated before making dc2...

Code: Select all

* Copyright / Permissions *

Do whatever you like. A lot of work went into this, even if it isn't 100% original. 
that has a wealth of resources to draw from for ideas at least. you would absolutely be my hero if you threw in booze and cigarettes :D

other critique:

shotty shells are huge.

thats all i can think of, but keep it up i really really like this.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

now that's what i wanted to say, also i hope you can fix the minigun too. it's autoshotgun with using a CAMO rounds right now.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Thanks for the input everyone, it means a lot!

I've sped up the rocket launcher, reduced the number of simultaneous bullets from the minigun to one, slowed down the shotgun's reload cycle and reduced the size of shell casings. Doomer1, I also tried out one of your pistol sprites and I think it fits pretty well.

I plan to add custom puffs for different guns, and as hesitant I am about adding a single fire option to the double barrel, it seems to be the standard for weapon mods and I can't think of anything better to add to it.

Removing custom zombie men will force me to either replace a pickup item with the assault rifle either randomly or indefinitely, or I would have to remove the rifle completely or keep it as a cheat only. Custom chaingunners could afford to be removed, as the sole purpose for them is consistency in weapon fire sound. The SS have the same purpose as the zombie men, as they drop the mp40, which isn't essential to this mod, so if enough people want them gone, I don't mind.

I don't know how to make the pistol less accurate on the first shot. This has always bugged me too, so if anyone knows how, I'm all ears.
And surprisingly, the shotgun uses exactly 0 resources from Brutal Doom. it's a mix of vanilla, Beautiful Doom, sprites by DoomNukem, and Batandy, all tediously tossed together to the best of my ability in the light of BD.

Anyway, that's all I can think of at the moment, I did my best and hope you enjoy and keep that feedback a'comin'!
Last edited by Lippeth on Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

oh, also i didn't mentioned pistol and assualt rifle uses both ammos. if that was intensional of course, it's doesn't make sence. pistol throws smaller casing and rifle throws bigger casing. it uses same ammo, but those casings are does not match at all. so what, make assualt rifle uses minigun ammo and add a new automatic weapon that uses pistol ammo and dropped by zombiemans? i hope so.

and talking about single shotgun's pump, it's pumping sounds are not matching at all either. just sayin' for mind to revamp it or not. lastly, what does BFG could be? have an ideas?
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

The ammo thing is pure laziness on my part. I don't mind having the rifle use the same ammo as the minigun, the only issue is that the minigun's ammo pool is way more than I'd like the rifle to have. My logic was that Vanilla Doom's pistol and chaingun use the same ammo, why not have the pistol and rifle use the same? I didn't want to create a whole new ammo type and have to balance ammo pickups when I can just borrow from something else. I still might add that in my next update, because it does raise a good point. A way simpler idea would be to just make 9mm casings come out of the rifle. I'll try both and see which one fits best.

I don't know what to say about the shotgun pumping sounds. Haven't found anything I like better.

In my opinion, the BFG either needs to raise the stakes drastically and be something devastatingly epic and worth being the most powerful gun in the game, or just be the regular BFG. Since I haven't found or made any sprites or sounds that can do it justice, I'm leaving this alone for now. You've definitely put it forefront in my mind though! I'll have a look around and see what I can find. I suppose I could at least add some smoke effects and experiment with cool looking projectiles.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

pistol casing from rifle could be good idea though. also talking about bfg replacement that more stronger then other bfg, how about devastator or pyro cannon from stronghold for example? also quake 2 style bfg balls should be fine, though.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Lippeth wrote:I don't know how to make the pistol less accurate on the first shot. This has always bugged me too, so if anyone knows how, I'm all ears.
If you set the number of bullets in A_FireBullets to -1, the first shot will we subject to the angle spread.

Code: Select all

A_FireBullets(5.6,5,-11,5,"BulletPuff",0)
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Aw yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about! Thanks as always, Ed. Link on first page has been updated.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”