Weapons of Saturn

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Vigilante

Re: Weapons of Saturn [UPDATE October 19, 2018]

Post by Vigilante »

And thank you for your kind words. I am indeed having fun tweaking stuff and testing variants !
I am currently testing with a single bullet counter, and it feels much easier to keep track of. (The oldschool ketchup-and-mayo: alternate between bullets and shells)
The 1911 (45?) was the only weapon which did considerably more damage per bullet, I nerfed its damage from 18 to 12, it still shines in its ammo-efficiency : After rapid-fire weapons eat your bullets like candy and you don't have enough to fill an entire clip/belt, you see it's a better idea to use them to fill several clips of the powerful handgun.
I just noticed the system/idea of extended mags : It is indeed a very good idea for powering up an existing weapon.
JMP-Jack

Post by JMP-Jack »

One of my favourite weapons mod.
I made a very simple modification for the super shotgun a year ago and I want to share with this community. I inverted "main fire" with "alternative fire".
Now I can shoot double barrel with mouse1 like the vanilla game.
Old habits die hard...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=13jPhC ... hXOms94kOg
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

The MP40 altfire has absolutely no spread.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

I do need to update this mod. I've done a bit of work on it since the last update, including fixing the spread of the MP40, but got hung up when updating the plasma gun sprite. I can add it to the main page anyway, even though the plasma gun reload sprites don't visually match the main sprite.

I also need to do a full update and replace all the now deprecated lines. I'm in the middle of working on a Hexen weapon mod at the moment, so once that releases I'll plan to get back into this one, even if it's just a standard update.
Yebudoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Yebudoom »

There's a chance you'll get back to it? Sweet! I'm a big fan.

I'll use ths opportunity to make a small request: please consider aligning the shotgun's and the assault rifle's iron sight sprites with the actual crosshair. They're significantly lower than the crosshair, which looks a little weird to me.

Cheers and stay safe!
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

I'll try and make it reflect in the next update, cheers!

Main page updated with WIP link.
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

<3

There was a bug that I did encounter about...maybe a year ago when I used this mod with the Consolation Prize version of Doom 64 Retribution. Not sure if it's an ACS conflict or what (I'm a dummy when it comes to code lol) but on map 8 imps continue to respawn endlessly in the corridor where you pick up the super shotgun. It only did it with this mod. I haven't tried it again since then but since I recall the issue happening to me I thought I'd at least bring it up now while it's fresh in my head, even if the solution ends up being "don't use Weapons of Saturn with Doom 64 Retribution". :P

This is still one of my favorite vanilla plus mods though. :3
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

The conflict is most likely ACS related, so for the newest update, I've named all scripts to avoid that sort of thing, thanks for the input and sorry for the very late reply.
Yebudoom wrote:please consider aligning the shotgun's and the assault rifle's iron sight sprites with the actual crosshair. They're significantly lower than the crosshair, which looks a little weird to me.
So for this update I still haven't addressed that issue, but it's something I plan to implement in the future. Though I don't exactly recommend using the crosshair with this because there's not really a reason to, due to the autoaim. But I can't knock the choice to use it, so I'll turn it on in my game and see how far off the sights are and hopefully make improvements where necessary.

Updated link on main page with all the changes I've made so far. Let me know if the new graphics for Saturn V are too much and I can revert them.
ChocoGuevara
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Weapons of Saturn v1.8.0

Post by ChocoGuevara »

I am glad to see this mod is still being worked upon. I've just downloaded it today and its simplicity is something that can be applied to almost any map pack you'd like for a bit more of a refreshing type of gameplay, while not breaking balance. Keep up the good work, I'll be attentive to new additions!
ChocoGuevara
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by ChocoGuevara »

Hmm... on another note, I had tried downloading the Classic Revival HUD on the main page but it appears the download is down. Tried so yesterday, but once I clicked on the download button in mediafire it said the page didn't exist.

Edit: Reloading glitches with the Saturn V seem to be present. If you reload a half-spent magazine and keep firing the weapon will reload automatically, and if this happens while you have no reserve ammunition left you will gain an extra rocket in the magazine out of nowhere.

Doomguy also seems to spin the magazine at *any* interval after six rockets / grenades have been spent, regardless of whether you've put a new magazine in or not.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I used to like the previous Saturn, but that's just me. But the new Plasma rifle is dope! Really enjoy this.

In any case, good to see you updating this Lippeth! Thought WoS was kinda left for good, considering it had little to no flaws to be worked on.
Lippeth

Re: Weapons of Saturn v1.8.5

Post by Lippeth »

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I think I've fixed the Saturn V bug, as well as address a few other things:

Aligned Maschine Rifle laser to crosshair
Added option for classic armor bonus
Added message to recommend leaving reload options on for pistol and MP40 due to a bug I'm still working out

So regarding the MP40: it's altfire uses ammo that's actively in the pistol's magazine, so if you fire two shots from the pistol and switch to the MP40, the pistol will have two shots less when using the dual-wield alt fire. If the MP40 altfire uses all pistol ammo and you switch to the pistol, it will be out of ammo. If you reload the pistol, it will be full for the MP40 altfire. All this is fine and well if reloading is enabled, but the animation states for the MP40's altfire get sort of buggy when turning off reloads for either the pistol or MP40. I'm working on solutions, but I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any ideas how to bypass certain animations. The code has gotten a bit messy looking while trying to fix the issue. I could by all means start from scratch to pinpoint the exact issues, but I mean, that's a whole deal.

Anyway, enjoy the minor update, I don't work on this as much as I should. It's hard to stay motivated for a seven year old mod, but I want it to stay as functional as possible!

Edit: So I fixed the MP40 Altfire bug. So many variables between turning off reloading for either weapon at different times, and regular fire and altfire...but I think I got it! The only thing odd that happens now is that if there's no pistol ammo The MP40 altfire will still fire until The MP40 is out of ammo, but y'know, it really doesn't bother me.
A_gunFlash

Re: Weapons of Saturn v1.8.5

Post by A_gunFlash »

Chainsaw flikering and with alt attack shines like a torch all time until i use it alt attack again in software rendering.
Lippeth

Re: Weapons of Saturn v1.9

Post by Lippeth »

Good eye! Fixed by removing unnecessary flags to A_Saw.

Other fixes and changes in the newest version:

Fixed MP40 altfire no reload bug
Fixed Saturn V no reload bug
Added Xaser's synthfire to riot gun and maschine rifle. Now you must hold to aim instead of toggling. I'm working on a way to add a menu option for toggle/hold.
Added decaldef and decal animations
Removed custom barrel for compatibility

Edit: Found an infinite ammo bug while aiming shotgun and holding down fire. Should be fixed in the next update.
Last edited by Lippeth on Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman333

Re: Weapons of Saturn v1.9

Post by Spaceman333 »

Been playing a lot with this mod lately, I'm absolutely loving it.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”