Weapons of Saturn

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
fuffyfaf

Re: Weapons of Saturn [UPDATE Feb 23, 2017]

Post by fuffyfaf »

Very, very lovely weapons mod, I'm keeping a close eye on this.

I wanted to report though that when you use the BFG with 30 or less ammo, you're still able to alt-fire despite it otherwise spending 40 ammo per shot. Similarly the plasma gun can perform its 5 ammo alt-fire with 4 or less.

Otherwise, this is my absolute favorite mod, I'm thinking. Such satisfying yet balanced weapons, so tonally consistent. I made an account on here just to mention the issues I noticed and to share my gratitude. Thanks for your hard work, great job!
panzerfaustmna

Post by panzerfaustmna »

Your weapon mod made my day =)
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

I have no idea how nobody did not notice this for the longest time, but it seems that using the kick attack with your pistol actually drains your ammo. Was that intentional or no? You might want to fix that.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

lizardcommando wrote:I have no idea how nobody did not notice this for the longest time, but it seems that using the kick attack with your pistol actually drains your ammo. Was that intentional or no? You might want to fix that.
That issue was resolved and included in the latest update. It was never an issue until the revamped iteration of GZDoom made lazy coding more apparent. If it's still not working properly for you after updating, let me know and I'll do my best to correct it.
fuffyfaf wrote:Very, very lovely weapons mod, I'm keeping a close eye on this.

I wanted to report though that when you use the BFG with 30 or less ammo, you're still able to alt-fire despite it otherwise spending 40 ammo per shot. Similarly the plasma gun can perform its 5 ammo alt-fire with 4 or less.

Otherwise, this is my absolute favorite mod, I'm thinking. Such satisfying yet balanced weapons, so tonally consistent. I made an account on here just to mention the issues I noticed and to share my gratitude. Thanks for your hard work, great job!
I intentionally left that in because not being able to use a weapon that still has ammo (even if it doesn't technically meet requirements) would be frustrating to use and would still be automatically switched to after running out of ammo for other weapons. Plus I figure that they use cell ammo rather than bullets or rockets, so in my mind the quantity measurement is in volume instead of integers, justifying my 'close enough' mentality.
0mrcynic0
Location: The corner of "screw off" and "none of your business."

Post by 0mrcynic0 »

Is there also a possibility that when you fire your weapon, your ammo reserve decreases instead of the ammo that's loaded in the gun itself so as to avoid reloading altogether?
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Lippeth wrote:
lizardcommando wrote:I have no idea how nobody did not notice this for the longest time, but it seems that using the kick attack with your pistol actually drains your ammo. Was that intentional or no? You might want to fix that.
That issue was resolved and included in the latest update. It was never an issue until the revamped iteration of GZDoom made lazy coding more apparent. If it's still not working properly for you after updating, let me know and I'll do my best to correct it.
Oh, I guess I was using an older version by accident. It seems to be working now.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Hey y'all. I finally got around to update this mod's MENUDEF to play nice with newer iterations of GZDoom.
0mrcynic0 wrote:Is there also a possibility that when you fire your weapon, your ammo reserve decreases instead of the ammo that's loaded in the gun itself so as to avoid reloading altogether?
That's something I'd like to do in the future, but I would want to release it as a separate mod. It was my initial goal to do what you're describing, but it made more sense within the mod to simply bypass the reload animations with a menu toggle.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Weapons of Saturn [UPDATE Oct 31, 2017]

Post by StroggVorbis »

Sorry for bumping, but can you make it so that the clips, 1911 and Rifle give half ammo when dropped by zombies? I'd do it on my local copy myself if I knew how. Can A_CheckFlag "TOSSED" be used in the pickup state perhaps? Also, the first shot of the rifle isn't perfectly accurate, making it inconsistent with the Beretta and 1911. What also bothers me is that the maximum amount of NATO ammo isn't a multitude of 80. Might additionally make the .45 ACP ammo a multitude of 7 or 8 instead of 10, to keep it consistent with the mag size.

If I may, I'd like to request the readdition of the MP40. After seeing it in HXRTCProject, which was based off WoS, I found it cool to expend 9mm ammo at a faster rate, even if it dealt less damage than the pistol. I know, the Beretta is stronger and faster than the vanilla pistol and even uses its own ammo type, but I almost never use it against stronger monsters, since it's just too slow to reliably send them into their pain state.

Apart from this, WoS is one of my all time favourite weapon mods (next to its descendants Faspons and Led's Generic Weapon Mod) and I appreciate all the work that went into it. There just isn't any weapons mod like it which feels close to vanilla while being distinctly original too. :3
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

would you be interested in me making a blood mod specifically for this weapon pack? just something simple.

also im playing this with resistance (new TNT based project) and im having a damn good time. new update is awesome.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

hey real quick update.

your ACS scripts have low numbers (starting at 50) and its caused an issue with a map pack i was playing, it also conflicts with my map pack. every time i shoot it is spawning enemies haha

if i were you id raise those numbers up to 350 or something like that.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

Pretty solid weapon set.
I like laser aiming for rifle, it is very fitting when playing with mouselook and without crosshair.

Sorry for the bump, but but here is the bug: when you shoot last shell from riot gun, and you have no more shells in inventory, and you press reload right after you shoot, one shell will be loaded into riot gun. This one-shell trick can be repeated any number of times, so infinite shells. It is easy to avoid (just don't reload when you have no shells left), but it's so tempting :?
Decorate code of riotgun is rather complicated for me to fix it myself.
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

If you do want to mess around with it, the issue is that on lines 105 and 106, reloading is enabled without actually checking shell-count (i.e. A_WeaponReady(WRF_ALLOWRELOAD)), and Reload: itself also doesn't check if there are shells before reloading.

For a quick fix, you could comment out the A_WeaponReady() calls:

Code: Select all

RIOT F 2 Offset(0,33) // A_WeaponReady(WRF_ALLOWRELOAD)
        RIOT A 5 Offset(0,32) // A_WeaponReady(WRF_ALLOWRELOAD)           
But that would make reloading slightly less responsive since it needs to return to the Ready: state before you can reload. A slightly more robust fix would involve checking shell-count in or around the QuickPump: state. Perhaps something like this:

Code: Select all

TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("Shell",1,4)
    RIOT F 2 Offset(0,33) // fall into these frames if you don't have shells
    RIOT A 5 Offset(0,32)
    TNT1 A 0 A_Jump(256,3) // jump past the reloading frames since you don't have shells
    RIOT F 2 Offset(0,33) A_WeaponReady(WRF_ALLOWRELOAD) // Jump here from the first line if you have shells
    RIOT A 5 Offset(0,32) A_WeaponReady(WRF_ALLOWRELOAD)
    [...] // continue the rest of the animation as normal  
You'd have to check if those jumps are correct, but the idea is that if you don't have the shells, you play the frames without allowing reload, but if you do, you can reload on those frames.

There is also one additional WRF_ALLOWRELOAD on line 215 to be considered, but I'll leave that for someone else to think about.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

With help of Gollgagh (thanks!) I modified QuickPump and ReloadWork2 states:
Spoiler:
Note jumps near the end of states.
Those modifications seem to fix infinite shells issue.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

In addition to the issue Gollgagh mentioned, I noticed some more issues, notably:

-The pistol (probably other weapons too) has spread defined in its FireBullets codepointer, but it's always 100% accurate because it doesn't have a Refire state, it just jumps back to the Fire state. Turning the number negative is the simplest way of fixing this.

-Some ammo icons on the HUD are either not or improperly displayed, while on derivative mods like LedIris's Generic Weapon Mod they do. If this gets updated again, I would prefer for the Beretta to display 9mm mags, the Colt .45ACP mags, the rifle standard Doom clips and the minigun a box of bullets.

-Either nerfing or increasing the ammo consumption of the Plasma Rifle's altfire. The way it is now, it makes the primary obsolete in terms of damage output and ammo efficiency. And for the altfire to fail when you don't have the sufficient amount of ammo, it just feels off to me. It's like if you could fully charge Half-Life's Tau Cannon/Gauss Gun with only one cell.

-I noticed that earlier versions had unfinished code for additional weapons like dual pistols or an MP40. I'd like for either of them to make it in, because while the pistol is faster and does more damage than the vanilla one, it's just not fast enough to bring down the stronger demons. Couple that with the fact that its ammo pool is seperate from all other bullet-type weapons, its usually the last resort when all other guns have run out.

Apart from that I still enjoy this mod.
Lippeth

Re: Weapons of Saturn [UPDATE May 08, 2018]

Post by Lippeth »

Thanks for the feedback!

I've nerfed the Nova Rifle's contact damage from 20 to 10, and the radius damage from 128 to 80 and I have to admit it's much more balanced and fun to use. As for why the ammo use for the charge isn't 100% accurate, here's my previous explanation to justify my lazy coding.
Lippeth wrote: I intentionally left that in because not being able to use a weapon that still has ammo (even if it doesn't technically meet requirements) would be frustrating to use and would still be automatically switched to after running out of ammo for other weapons. Plus I figure that they use cell ammo rather than bullets or rockets, so in my mind the quantity measurement is in volume instead of integers, justifying my 'close enough' mentality.
Around January I started working on a new MP40 but never released it because I couldn't think of a good alt-fire and didn't want it to be the only weapon without an alt-fire. I've added it to this update as is, and you're more than welcome to offer suggestions.

I've also added a negative count to the pistol angle spread parameters, but it remains as accurate as it was. I'm fine with it, but will continue to tweak around with it.

And for the ammo icons, I never felt the need because I don't like extra hud clutter so it was never an issue I felt the need to address. But I also don't have a good reason to intentionally leave it out. I'll add that in the next update (maybe soon, maybe not, my free time and interest waxes and wanes)

Thanks again for the useful feedback!
Weapons of Saturn Update May 08, 2018

Return to “Gameplay Mods”