[WIP] UAC:Specops

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Crudux Cruo

[WIP] UAC:Specops

Post by Crudux Cruo »

UAC:Specops

http://www.speedyshare.com/wm4p6/CC-UACSPECOPS.zip

DOWNLOAD ABOVE
PHASE ONE ALPHA

YOU MUST USE CHEATS TO AQUIRE THE WEAPONS, THERE ARE NO PICKUPS YET

UAC: Specops (tentative title) is a upcoming total weapons conversion for doom based games in zdoom decorate. the mod will feature 100% original "hand drawn" sprites. no sprite rips, no 3d model conversions, no remastered resources, just completely, 100% original sprites based on the doom perspective (centered).

first phase: "classical doom weapons"
guns in this phase will be balanced and coded to the classic doom. that means no reloads, no special effects, just a strait up gun. they will be measured for ultra violence levels, being slightly more or less powerful than the originals they intend to replace.

second phase "functional reloads/balance for mod"
this is the phase they are ready to play in my mod, though they will be "rough drafts", fulfilling the basic function intended.

third phase "smooth frames, add gfx, optimize code"
this is where things start getting polished; guns will have bullet casings, smoke, optimized sprites or frames, and of course, streamlined code for any would-be wad editors.

final phase "balance for new monsters and difficulty"
this is the end of the line stage, essentially i will be adding a myriad of new monsters with random spawners, some of these will be personally modified, others will be mostly untouched. they will make the game somewhat harder, though not incredibly so, and i will balance them and the weapons to feel and play just right, with the end product being an enjoyable, unique mod that you'll want to pick up again and again.

PROGRESS FURTHER BELOW, I NEED FEEDBACK ON SPRITES IF AT ALL POSSIBLE

Story:
Spoiler:
Weapons:
Spoiler:

this will be done when its done, and not a moment sooner. I will in certain cases take help with coding and sprite work to complete this, and i may need a beta tester or two.

Progress:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Crudux Cruo on Wed May 21, 2014 12:56 am, edited 14 times in total.
Crudux Cruo

Re: [WIP] UAC:Specops

Post by Crudux Cruo »

News

5/14 - grenade graphics and coding largely done

10/28 - released phase 3 plans.

10/7 - started grenade

9/19 - made a semi-final phase 2 draft of the colt 1911, also released final version of the rifle for phase 1 (still needs reloads)

9/3 - first draft of the colt 1911

8/27 - first draft of the turret rifle

7/23 - final draft of pistol and beginning of project.

11/18 - Still alive update.

Bulletin:

If you see this thread, please give criticism on the artwork, as that is the bulk of this mod. thanks.

Todo priority list

Phase 1

1.) finish seismic grenade - 2-3 weeks left. DONE
2.) make cool ass explosions for said grenades, with a plain explosion for the missiles. - 1-3 day project DONE (i need to tweak it a bit though for sound and GFX)
3.) start sprite work on semi auto rocket rifle - 1 month
4.) code and playtest grenade and rifle at same time to balance them. - 1-3 days
5.) make the MPE plasma cannon sprites - 1 month
6.) work on plasma explosions. - 1-3 days
7.) playtest and balance all weapons. - 1-3 days
8.) put into pack for initial phase 1 release. - 1 day
9.) fix color disparity on the hands for the shotgun. - 1-2 days
10.) refine story and descriptions of weapons for final release of phase 1. -1 day
11.) modify any issues brought up by phase 1 release and feedback from forum lurkers. unknown

Phase 2
Spoiler:
Phase 3
Spoiler:

Final phase
Spoiler:

Time estimate: Not sure, but I have to make the rocket rifle and the bfg type plasma gun, so it may take a few more months.

Wanna help out?

I need the following once I have all the weapons done (phase 1 release)

1 dedicated tester - the decorate code and attack balance is split evenly with me for balance. this person will help the project to be better balanced, and judged in an unbiased light. such a person would only need to dedicate an hour or two a day, at the most, for about a week or two of their time in phase 1. phase 2 this person will be instrumental in balancing the upgrade system. I will of course be helping, but I will absolutely need at least 1 dedicated tester in phase 2. such a person would be required to use windows im and would be able to test things in a timely fashion if needed.

* (no one yet) - I don't need this until my initial release of everything, but any private feedback is appreciated.

1 touch up artist - Like the dedicated tester, I will need someone to give me second opinions on work and do touch up. I will be making a lot of new and varied graphics, and of course there will be other gfx and things that need touchup. this will mostly be phase 3, when I am finalizing the weapons gfx part of the mod. such individuals will be required to chat via windows im, and will be given access to dev work.

* (no one yet) - I'm not to a point of completion of the graphics to warrant a need for a dedicated artist, but free lancers are welcome. phase 3 will be very important, as all the special effects will be done out of scratch, but this is a long ways off.

1 code assistant - This person will help me figure out how to glue the art all together, and will mostly be a consultant type individual. While this person will not be obligated to work on features, they will be required to get onto windows IM once and a while to touch bases on code.

* (no one yet) - phase 2 and onward really.

? general testers - as I said, all people will be able to test, but those who stand out and provide good feedback will be meantioned here, and in the credits.

? general artists - like general testers, they will provide touch up work with no prompting, and such individuals will be credited and thanked properly.

? general coders - like general artists and testers, they will optimize code or make tweaks with no prompting, and will get proper credit and thanks.
Last edited by Crudux Cruo on Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.
DoomNukem

Post by DoomNukem »

Really like that nighthawk looks meaty :D, the shotty looks a bit rough but, looking forward to seeing more.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

So I've sorta hit an artists block on the damn rifle; no matter what I do it looks too much like a shotgun. im thinking of going to a 1 barreled rifle to simplify this and get the show back on the road, but before I do does anyone have any sort of concepts for a double barreled assault rifle?
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

well if you're ok with just typical AR look, you could base it off of the real life Gilboa Snake, which is a real life double barreled AR
PWNERX

Post by PWNERX »

I want that nighthawk, and thats it! (I smell a mini-wad)
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

I think i can post up the nighthawk. for anyone following this, i have felt lazy as im trying to work out this turret rifle. i just need to knuckle down and do it like i did the other two weapons. i'll have to post the nighthawk up later though; my version has reloads, not exactly realm667 ready codewise. ill submit that shortly. the other weapons you're all out of luck, they're going to be mod only.
PWNERX

Post by PWNERX »

Well, how about trying two barrels placed Vertically on a cool Halo Reach-esque piece.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

doomer1 wrote:and oxidizing the blood in enemies resulting in certain death for those who do not receive emergency treatment.
Know what your lungs do? Oxidize blood. Know what results in certain death for those who do not receive emergency treatment? An anti-armor bullet hole in the chest. :P

But yeah, it looks interesting!
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Uploaded the first two weapons, i originally was going to only release the nighthawk, but i thought i'd get some feedback on the slugger as well. slugger does not have reloads in yet, so while its classical functional its not mod complete. its easy enough to create the reloading frames and the sequence, it just seems that i am insufferably lazy :(
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Finally did some work on the turret rifle, took alot of inspiration from the BAR, and because it looked to blocky, i went over/under barrel system with internal barrels, external hex vents. still figuring out what to add for the coloration beside olive drab damage paint and UAC plastered on it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

this is the original version i had in mind with not quite as much detail on it. after i deleted one of the barrels i knew that the over and under was the only way to go.

so what does everyone think?
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

turret looks pretty good, but the perspective's a bit off; the barrels look like they're pointing straight up. the distance stuff (tapering barrel/ smaller vent holes at the end) needs to be a bit more pronounced, i think.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

I quite like what you have for the main body of the weapon so far, but the barrel does look a little odd. The vent holes seem to be placed rather randomly, and the super flat edge of the end also seems a bit odd to me, mostly the corners. I look forward to seeing the complete version. :)
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Just a quick update I'm still playing with the graphics on the ITRa2, pix coming today (ill edit this post) later or sooner depending on how much work I have at work today lol

*edit

This is a 1911 i'm working on. there are a lot of finishing touches to make, and other frames, but Its about time that we have a good doom style pistol in the system. I'm thinking about making this a special drop that gives the player dualies, or even a upgrade/buy system where you can go though and pick your favorite gun. either way, I intend to finish the pistol sprites so at least other people can use it.

The turret rifle without the heat vents. the holes didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, so I may stick with a smooth barrel design just so I can make a release, but I'm still toying with the idea of vents.

also to answer some concerns, the sprite works well despite its up facing sprites, although I may have to scale it down a little so you can see the whole sprite.
Ghastly_dragon wrote:
doomer1 wrote:and oxidizing the blood in enemies resulting in certain death for those who do not receive emergency treatment.
Know what your lungs do? Oxidize blood. Know what results in certain death for those who do not receive emergency treatment? An anti-armor bullet hole in the chest. :P

But yeah, it looks interesting!
oh yeah, I meant RAPID oxidation so as to cause the iron in the blood to rust, locking opponents into whatever form they are inevitably lying in after the fact. its a crummy story but it sounds cool :P
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

doomer1 wrote:Image

This is a 1911 i'm working on. there are a lot of finishing touches to make, and other frames, but Its about time that we have a good doom style pistol in the system. I'm thinking about making this a special drop that gives the player dualies, or even a upgrade/buy system where you can go though and pick your favorite gun. either way, I intend to finish the pistol sprites so at least other people can use it.
That's one beautiful 1911 slide, Doomer. I take it that this pistol will be the quick-firing handgun in your mod?

Also, just in case it tickles your fancy, the stock Doom pistol is modeled after the Beretta 92F, if you want to throw a hand-drawn variant in there as an option.

Something I noticed about the Slugger - the color of Doomguy's fingers doesn't match the rest of his hand. You might want to fix that at some point.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”