[RELEASE 1+] That Amazing Space Amazon... (by RSL)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
rsl

Re: That Amazing Space Amazon... (by RSL)

Post by rsl »

Alright guys, here's the new version of the mod:

Space Amazon RC (May 20, 2013)

A number of bugs has been fixed, almost all those pointed out in the previous posts (with the exception of a big ammo counter on the HUD, I haven' found a good-looking rendition of it yet).

But most importantly, a couple addons have been introduced (load after the main mod, even together):

- Amazon V2: replaces 'Phoenix' with 'Unicorn' (thanks Chronoteeth!), a new assault rifle that uses the same projectiles of 'Manticore'. It cannot autofire, but each round is roughly two times powerful; but most of all, it has an altfire mode based on a refillable mini acid tank (you spend one gyroscopic grenade to replenish it after 4 rounds), that allows you to fire streaks of acid vapor - very effective on former humans.
- FX Tamer: instead of just reducing the existing blood/gore system, I took the liberty of providing a complete, lighter-yet-satisfactory replacement for it (inspired by that of sonic_HD87). The new system has all the blood and gibs on the ground quickly disappearing after a few seconds, and much more limited spawning/animations. Lighter equivalents for the teleportation effect and explosive barrel are also included (inspired by Genesis Saga Aurora and Project MSX, respectively).

So have a shot at the new version, and drop me a line if you feel to.
I'm looking forward to your impressions! :D

If nothing major arises in a few days, it's going to /IDGames soon...
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [RC May 20, 2013] That Amazing Space Amazon... (by RSL)

Post by Captain J »

i put bookmark of awesomeness for you, awesomely done!
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

hey that unicorn look great and the alt fire is a killer, think that the dying animation will be melting since is acid? maybe add the gun into the pack ;)

mm will be great if after shot with the shotgun it automatically add the shell and no need to push fire again to do so and no end with a empty shogun in middle of a fight?

is my imagination or you change in big time the ammount of gore? didnt feel the same, i understand the addon with remove some but the actual mod seems diferent from the first version in concepts of blood

oh the hud maybe need be more strong in color or make it more solid for better contrast ;)

over all me like and keep doing a good job :D
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

the subdued effects are much nicer on the machine, and the new rifle feels great!
if at all possible tho, could you perhaps release a version with both the phoenix and unicorn? They both act so different but they're both awesome
rsl

Post by rsl »

Captain J wrote:i put bookmark of awesomeness for you, awesomely done!
Thanks a lot! :D
Mav3rick wrote:hey that unicorn look great and the alt fire is a killer, think that the dying animation will be melting since is acid? (...)
Yes, you're right about the melting death! I used Minigunner's great fire death animation and enhanced it with a cloud of greenish vapor.
Mav3rick wrote:mm will be great if after shot with the shotgun it automatically add the shell and no need to push fire again to do so and no end with a empty shogun in middle of a fight?
Should be quick to add. I might bind it to a switch key so that anybody is free to use their own rearming style. :wink:
Mav3rick wrote:is my imagination or you change in big time the ammount of gore? didnt feel the same, i understand the addon with remove some but the actual mod seems diferent from the first version in concepts of blood
Absolutely. As a matter of fact, I suggest you play with the original gore system - if your machine allows. Nonetheless, you can have plenty of gibs with this lighter version too! :twisted:
Mav3rick wrote:oh the hud maybe need be more strong in color or make it more solid for better contrast ;)
Now that you say it, bringing the left ammo counters out of the SBARINFO transparent block might do the trick! :) Thanks for the heads up.
Mav3rick wrote:over all me like and keep doing a good job :D
Thank you! :D
chronoteeth wrote:the subdued effects are much nicer on the machine, and the new rifle feels great!
I'm glad you appreciated the new effects too! :) Also, you're confirming that they feel actually lighter - this is good, since I feared that could be just an impression on my machine (that luckily works with the heavier version too :mrgreen:).
And... Do you like that rifle? Hey, it's your weapon, too! :D
Mav3rick wrote:hey that unicorn look great (...) maybe add the gun into the pack ;)
chronoteeth wrote:if at all possible tho, could you perhaps release a version with both the phoenix and unicorn? They both act so different but they're both awesome
Yeah, that should be the best solution in the end... Actually just like you suggested from the start, Chrono! :) Damn, you were right :P
rsl

Re: [RELEASE] That Amazing Space Amazon... (by RSL)

Post by rsl »

Hello everybody,

the mod has finally reached release status. :D
You can find it here.

The default setup now includes the full roster of seven weapons - a few fixes indicated in the latest posts have been introduced, too!
So have fun! And if you like it, I'd be really happy if you could drop me a line under the IDGames entry... :wink:
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

What's with the !*&^@* messing up the formatting in the description?
rsl

Post by rsl »

Heh, just some ASCII art I used in the textfile... :-) Stupid IDGames parser!
rsl

Post by rsl »

Hi all,

this is just to let you know that an updated version of the mod is available from the IDGames link in the first post:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=17215

A brief changelog of fixes and updates:

- fixed offsets for 11 mm. bullets pickup sprites.
- fixed appearance for 'Gryphon' ammunition.
- beefed up 'Unicorn' primary fire power, improved its accuracy, and granted free-trigger use on the weapon (thanks EvilNed from DOOMWorld forums!).
- fixed auto-cocking of 'Hydra' (does not require tap-only anymore).
- made gyroscopic grenades (even) more erratic.
- improved 'Phoenix' spawning rate.
- made battery autorecharge even with related weapons deselected.
- reduced 'Phoenix' primary fire ammo consumption, improved its effectiveness, reduced its stunning chance (now monster-dependent).
- reviewed monster shock coefficients - now harder to stun with 'Phoenix' only (TazerFang uses FORCEPAIN anyway).

Enjoy! :-)
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [RELEASE 1+] That Amazing Space Amazon... (by RSL)

Post by Ed the Bat »

http://edthebat.com/doom/rslamazeexp.wad
Sorry for the delay, RSL. But, as promised, here's what I put together for a revamped Amazon. I haven't managed to put together a full list of changes (other than what I mentioned over in the Salvo Jettison thread), but I typically try not to make drastic changes when I clean up anyone else's projects, aside from maybe some tiny bugfixes here and there.

Anyway, give it a shot if you have time, and let me know if I need to give it any more polish.
rsl

Post by rsl »

Excellent stuff! :D It's really nice to see all classes displayed together and selectable via menu.

I haven't delved too much into the lumps to see what tricks you've used, but I fired up every class and played around a bit.
I've only noticed a couple strange things (tested with GZDOOM 1.8.02):

- the Hydra shotgun seems not to consume any ammo when firing. Might be a typo in a A_FireBullets call :?:
- I see that Space Valkyrie (the first player class) does not show up with its dedicated mugshot graphics (i.e. blonde girl behind marine helmet) :o

Details aside, you've created one neat package! Thanks a lot :)
Should you decide to review it a bit, I'd say you can safely dump a couple classes and stay with the following ones:

- Space Valkyrie (Peta Röthen-Köhl, 4 weapons, HUD hands light skin tone)
- Space Piratess (Tomaza Turbado, 6 weapons, HUD hands dark skin tone)
- Space Amazon V2 (Sheila Doe, 7 weapons, HUD hands dark skin tone -- should this be selected by default?)

Again, once you feel you've delivered the final tweaks - and IDGames permits - I'd like to release it together with the original entries and give you credit.
Would it be okay for you :?:
Jinal

Post by Jinal »

What about adding a SSG like weapon in there?
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I'd be more than happy and honored to have you release my work, sir. :)

As for the bugs you mentioned, the Valkyrie's mugshot was an oversight on my part. I'll get that fixed and reuploaded soon. (EDIT: Reupload complete!) I was not able to reproduce the error you saw with the Hydra, though; I'm consuming ammo when I use it. Would you do me a favor and try running this with a recent development build of GZDoom, to see if the problem persists?

It really doesn't cost anything to keep all five of these classes in play, but if you really want the Huntress and the first Amazon removed, I can do that. Otherwise, I would just let them stay in -- more options is always better, in my mind.

Lastly, I'll just quickly mention that I only removed the umlauts in the Valkyrie's name (Rothen-Kohl, instead of Röthen-Köhl) because that font doesn't readily support those letters, so I hope that's an acceptable concession. :P
Jinal wrote:What about adding a SSG like weapon in there?
That's what over-filling the chambers on the Hydra is for.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I keep getting this crash whenever I gib a couple zombiemen with the fully-powered shotgun:

Code: Select all

gzdoom: /home/vaecrius/doom/src/src/p_mobj.cpp:3522: virtual void AActor::Tick(): Assertion `state != __null' failed.
Terminated sig=0x0d
There's no crash log.

Could be something broke when I was fucking around trying to get Steam to run last night, but I haven't had any other problem with any other mod so far.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Vaecrius wrote:I keep getting this crash whenever I gib a couple zombiemen with the fully-powered shotgun:

Code: Select all

gzdoom: /home/vaecrius/doom/src/src/p_mobj.cpp:3522: virtual void AActor::Tick(): Assertion `state != __null' failed.
Terminated sig=0x0d
There's no crash log.

Could be something broke when I was fucking around trying to get Steam to run last night, but I haven't had any other problem with any other mod so far.
I've never seen this, however I will say that the gibs in this game cause a TON of lag for me, even on my new computer, due to the high number of actors being spawned by the Brutal Doom-type gore effects, even with the FX Tamer active. Perhaps something's just making your computer choke harder than usual on that?

Also, would this be with the official build, or with mine? Is there any difference for you between the two versions, regarding this issue?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”